Let's Change It

The Future

 

I sit in front of the television for the whole day while waiting for the news about the plane crash. Luhan is in the plane. How am I not bawling about that? I turn to my right and my future self is still sobbing. Her eyes glue to the TV. She waits about the news. She will wait until she sees Luhan in TV.

“Joohyun-”

“He’s still alive, mom!”

My mother looks at me with sadness filled her eyes. She sits next to me.

“Joohyun, I know that you’re sad about this but please eat my dear. You didn’t eat since yesterday.”

“I won’t move until they find Luhan oppa.”

My mother sighs. It looks like she can’t do anything to me. I understand if you lost someone who you love. It hurts so much. You wish that they would come back.

Day by day, the news about the plane crash starts to come close as they found more bodies floating in sea. All the passengers has been identified and sent to their family for funeral. However, only Luhan’s body hasn’t been discovered. Everyone surprises with the news about his missing body. According to the report of investigation that aired on news, Luhan is believed to be seated beside the emergency door and that the door was opened. He might escape from there. The rescue team is still searching for his body and starts to spread the search area to find him.

I stand behind her while she is facing her laptop and typing something.

 

‘Oppa, how are you? Where are you? Please come back home. I miss you so much. Oppa, I have great news for you. I’m 3 months pregnant. You’re going to become a father! I know that you will be happy about this. Oppa, come back here hurry! I want you to be with me when I’m in labor room while giving birth to our baby. I will wait for you.’

 

She clicks sent and the message is sent to Luhan’s email. Every day, I watch her doing this. She types something and sends to Luhan. Even until now, she still believes that he’s alive. I hear she said that she won’t declare that Luhan is dead until they find his body.

Luhan taps my shoulder and I turn to him while raising my eyebrow.

“We should go.”

“Where?”

 


 

Now, I’m in an island. I don’t where the island is but it has beautiful scenery. But why we are here? I mean, we end up coming to this place that doesn’t seem to have anything to do with us.

“Why we’re coming here?”

“Just wait and see.”

Luhan holds my hand and we walk like we’re a couple or something. But I feel comfortable holding his hand than holding other boys’ hand even it’s just for a while. Is it because only both of us can touch each other?

We stop and Luhan points something to the front. I look to the front and see a guy lying on the sand with his front on it. He’s wearing a life jacket and the waves keep hitting him that causes his body become wet. Who is he and what is he doing here? Wait! If we come here, there must be a reason. Don’t tell me that’s-

That guy groans and moves his body in pain. The waves keep hitting him and he groans again. He drags himself to the island to avoid the wave splashing on him again. He sounds so tired, judging from his breathing.

He turns his body and lie with his back on. Just like I thought, he’s Luhan! He’s alive! Although I don’t understand how he can stay alive from the plane crash. It doesn’t make sense at all. It’s a miracle. I go to him. He is so tired and he pants really hard. I want to help him but I forgot that this is my future.

“Tell me what happen the rest to me. I can’t do this anymore. I can’t stand watching you and I suffer anymore.”

Without me knowing, I break down in front of him. I hug him as well. Why does this happen to our future? Now I get why he wants to change the future.

 


 

I stand beside the pond that located nearby at Luhan’s house. Yes, I’m back here again after Luhan didn’t want to tell me everything about this dream and future. I frown and didn’t want to talk to him. He sits next to me while trying to console me.

“Just wait a little bit more, Joohyun. This will end soon.”

I ignore him as much as I can. Then, I see a lady coming here. Oh, it’s me! But with a baby? Is that my baby?

“Mina, do you know that your father likes to sit here when he was young? I used to pass by this place and look at him without him knowing. He was so cute back then. He just looks like you.”

Despite she tries to sound happy, I know that deep inside her heart she’s still in pain. I really want to tell her so badly that he’s still alive.

“I can’t believe that she’s still unable to move on from her husband’s death. Her husband left her for a year now and even without any news, we know that he died from a plane crash.”

I hear an old lady mumbling about me. It has been a year? Well that explains the baby.

“Joohyun.”

Someone calls me and I see Luhan’s mother in a wheelchair and an unknown lady who was pushing the wheelchair towards me.

“You come here every day.”

I smile at her while patting the baby’s back to stop her whimper.

“Do you still believe that he still alive?”

I think Luhan’s mother is referring to him. I look at myself keenly while waiting for her answer. Without hesitation, she nods. I’m so happy. I smile at Luhan and he smiles at me. He has a cute smile without a doubt.

“But unnie, it’s been a year now. Are you really sure about that?”

That unknown lady asks me. Who is she anyway?

“Do you know who she is?”

Maybe Luhan knows better. I mean, he has this dream like every day. He probably figured it out.

“I think she’s Yifan’s wife, Hana.”

I nod at him before turn to the three people or maybe I should say four including the baby.

“They can’t find him. I’m sure that he’s alive.”

“But-”

“My heart says so, Hana. Right now, I don’t trust what anyone says about Luhan. I trust my heart. But if it’s true, I personally want to see his body with my two eyes to accept the fact and I will move on. For now, my heart says that he’s still breathing.”

Luhan’s tears fall after hearing that. I’m surprise to see his tears closely. I wipe his tears and it brings him back to his sense. He touches my hand and pulls me again.

 


 

We’re at the island where Luhan is here. For a year. His appearance changes a lot. He looks so different than what I used to see him during this dream. He’s getting skinnier. I feel like I’m looking a skeleton. It feels so weird to see him like this. What makes me weirder is how he managed to survive for a year in this island without food?

He’s back after collecting some woods and piles them up. Then, he picks a wood that has sharp pointed end. He goes into the water while looking around. I’m curious of what he is doing. Then, he throws the wood and takes it from the water. My jaw drops after I see a fish has been pierced into the wood. He looks so cool while doing that.

He goes to somewhere and there’s a big plastic there with rocks around it. He removes the rock and the plastic. He takes out the coconut shell and takes a sip. What is he doing?

“Is he drinking?”

“Yes. He is drinking water. He got it from sea water.”

“He drinks sea water?”

“No! Of course not. Well, come here. I want to show you something.”

I follow him to the future Luhan. Once I reach there, I see a hole with four coconut shells around and there’s an empty hole in the middle which I assume he puts the coconut shells that he took out just now.

“Look at these four coconut shells. These four are filled with sea water and the one that I took is placed in the middle with no sea water inside. Just empty coconut shell. Then I cover the hole with a plastic bag and put rocks around it to make sure it didn’t fall or fly away. I put a rock in the middle right on the empty coconut shell. When the sun is up, the sea water will condense and become a steam but because it is trapped with the plastic, it will turn to a droplet of water and the droplet will drop into the empty coconut shell.”

I impress with his explanation. He’s really smart. My husband is really smart. Wait! I call him as my husband already? That’s too fast! I’m so embarrass.

“How do you know that?”

“Have you ever heard science?”

I pout when he teases me.

We stay here with a fire that was made by Luhan. Looking at his future self, makes me fall in love with him although I feel scared about my future. What am I talking about? Seo Joohyun, you’re just 12 years old! You shouldn’t think about that.

The next morning, I see two guys wake Luhan up.

“Excuse me, sir! Sir, please wake up!”

Luhan wakes up and is shock to see two guys in front of him. He desperately asks them for help.

“Please help me! I’ve been here for so long. I want to go home. I want to meet my family.”

Those two guys look each other before they take Luhan to their boat. I’m guessing that they are fishermen.

Nevertheless, I’m glad that someone rescues him. I wonder why the rescue team didn’t search at this place. Or why no fishermen come here? I don’t mind that. Right now, I want him to meet me and their baby.

 


 

We back at our home again. I don’t know how many times that I go back and forth to the island and my home. But right now is totally different. I see myself with my baby and there’s a luggage bag with it. My clothes look like I’m about to go somewhere.

“Mina, don’t be a naughty girl, okay sweetie?”

I kiss my daughter whom I called her Mina. I kiss her many time before my parents, Luhan’s mother, Yifan and the girl named Hana come out from the house.

“Hana, take her.”

I give Mina to Hana and she starts to cry while stretching her hands to me. Wait! Where exactly am I going? And I’m not taking Mina along?

“Be careful and call us when you reach in Jeju.”

I’m going to Jeju? But why? Are you forgetting about Luhan? Did you give up on him? Did you accept that he’s dead? Did you move on? No, Joohyun! He’s still alive, Joohyun! He’s still alive!

“I hope that this will distract you from everything.”

“Me too, mom. But I will always believe on him. He will come back.”

I see their reaction. It seems like they can’t do anything with me believing that Luhan is still alive because it’s true. At least, I’m happy that she didn’t give up.

They say goodbye to me before I get into the taxi. Even in the taxi, we still wave until the taxi appears from the sight.

“So, are we going to follow her?”

Luhan chuckles before he grabs my hand.

“We’re going to reach first before her.”

We enter his house and it changes to a place with a lot of seats. I’m inside of plane.

“I told you that we will arrive first before anyone else. Look who’s here!”

I turn to the door and I see that I walk inside the plane. The stewardess greets me and I smile back. Both of us follow me and stop when she found her seat. We sit on the seat next to her seat. I sit on the seat beside the aisle. Passengers start to enter the plane and find their seat. I hope that the passengers for our seat didn’t come now. We might be a soul but I don’t want to see myself being seated by someone.

“Excuse me, is this place empty?”

A guy with crutches comes to my seat and asks some kind of stupid question to me. I thought everyone was given a seat number? Why did he ask that?

She turns to that guy and her eyes are wide open. Why? What happened? Who is he? I can’t see him because he’s facing his back to me. With my wide eyes, I stand up and hug that guy tightly and slowly I hear a sobbing from me. Who is he?

That guy turns and even my eyes become wider. I’m surprise mix with shock and happy that they guy is none other than Luhan. I can’t say anything right now. I feel like the tears coming out from my eyes. I watch them hugging each other. They miss each other so much that they didn’t say anything except sobbing.

I’m really happy seeing that. I turn to Luhan but I feel something soft touching my lips and I surprise that he is so close to me. We freeze there before I realize that his lips touching mine. He quickly moves his body backward and rubs his neck while looking down.

“I’m not supposed to do that. I’m sorry. I want to kiss your cheek but you turned and accidently kissed you.”

His cheeks turn red and he looks so cute. I lean to him and kiss his cheek. He looks up to me with a stupefy look. Oh my, he’s looking at me! I feel the heat on my face. He’s smiling! Oh no, why? He holds my hand.

“I think it’s time to go.”

We go towards the door and walk out and we here again. His house. But I see two figures coming here and I realize who they are. It’s me and Luhan. We’re back at home.

“Mom! Dad! Mom!”

I scream loudly; like really loud. The people inside the house dash out hearing my voice but their attention is on someone that makes them unable to express with words. Luhan is back! Alive after the plane crash. They hug Luhan and their tears fall after seeing him for so long. Hana comes with Mina under her arms.

Oppa, our daughter, Mina!”

Yifan holds Luhan when he tries to take Mina to him. I help him to make sure that Mina didn’t fall. He hugs her tightly and gives her kisses. His tears fall while looking at his daughter. It is a beautiful sight for a family reunion.

“So, what do you think?”

“I think this is the most heartwarming.”

“I’m not saying about that. I’m saying about our future.”

I turn to him. I remember that we will decide to change our future. I definitely want to change but I’m not sure. He is the first guy that I become friends with and to be honest, I don’t see him as my friend. I don’t know if we can change our future. If we change, will these things happen or not.

“Joohyun, I’m going to be honest with you. Actually, after facing this dream every day, I’m kind of developed a feeling for you. I know that you don’t understand this because you’re still young but do you want to be with me in the future but not this kind of future?”

I don’t understand him. I mean, I understand that he likes me but I don’t know what he means if I want to be with him in the future but not this kind of future.

“It’s okay if you don’t want it. I understand that you afraid what will happen to us. There’s a said that we can’t change our future but if we change our habit and attitude, the future can be changed.”

“Will you change your attitude?”

“I promise that I will change myself. I will listen to my parents. I will be a good son for my family. I will change that for me, my family, and you.”

He whispers the last word but I can hear him. I don’t know why but there’s something about him that make me feel happy and calm.

“Promise?”

I raise my pinky finger as a promise. He raises his pinky finger and wraps it around my pinky.

“Promise! It’s time for us to go.”

 


 

We walk back to the hospital. My parents are still there, waiting for me to wake up.

“You’re very lucky. Your parents are by your side.”

“Make sure you change yourself if you want that.”

I wait for him to reach his room. We nod each other before we enter our room. I walk towards my body. I take a deep breath and enter my body.

 

“Oppa, Joohyun is awake.”

“Really?”

“Yes! She opens her eyes. Look!”

“You’re right! I will call the doctor.”

“Hurry! Joohyun! Thank goodness!”

All I can hear is my mother’s cry and expresses her grateful that I open my eyes. My sight is still blur but I can tell who is who, what is what. The doctor comes and checks me. He turns on his small light and points it directly to my eyes while opening it.

“She’s fine now. She can be discharged by tomorrow.”

“Thank you, doctor!”

 

“Doctor! Luhan is awake!”

“Really? Finally! Have you called his parents?”

“We haven’t called them yet. We will call once he’s allowed to discharge.”

“Okay! I will be coming there in a minute.”

“What happen?”

“There’s a patient who have been in comatose for a month. His head damaged pretty bad that his skull cracked. His parents aren’t there and told us to call them once he’s awake. Poor little boy.”

I hear the doctor and my mother talking about Luhan. He’s awake now. I really want to meet him. My future. I hope he will change his attitude so that we can be together without any harsh obstacles.

Finally, I’m officially discharge from the hospital. But I really want to see Luhan. I sit on the wheelchair while waiting my parents to pay my hospital bills. While I’m waiting, I see a very familiar faces coming towards the counter. Luhan’s parents, Yifan, and him; Luhan on the wheelchair too. His head is still wrapped with the bandage. I look at him but he didn’t turn to me. He had this frown on his face. It makes me wondering if my dream is actually real or just a dream. I don’t know because I felt it so real but Luhan didn’t turn to me at all. I pout when he didn’t turn to me.

My parents thank the nurse in-charged and my father pushes the wheelchair. I still look at him. I really want to call his name. I look at him until he turns. I’m so happy but he didn’t smile like how I see in our dream. Then, he smirks at me. Even though it’s just a smirk, I’m still happy.

 


 

~1 year later!

 

“Joohyun, do you to go to meet our new neighbor? They just move today.”

My mother asks me if I want to tag along with her to meet our new neighbor.

“Sure.”

We walk until we reach a house. Hmm, why does this house looks so familiar to me? I feel like a déjà vu.

“Hello! I’m Mrs. Seo. My house is just 3 blocks away.”

My mother introduces herself to the lady. I know this lady! It’s Luhan’s mother! I remember it now. The dream! There is one part of the dream that Luhan’s family will move here. So, this is the start.

“Let me introduce my daughter, Seo Joohyun. She’s 13 years old.”

“Oh my, she’s so cute and pretty. I really wish I have a daughter. I have two boys.”

“Really? I only have Joohyun. She’s a lonely girl.”

“Maybe you can be friends with my sons. Wait! Let me call them. Boys! Come here! I want you to meet someone.”

Two boys come to their mother’s direction. I know both of them very well. Yifan and Luhan. It’s weird to see Yifan child’s face because I only see him when he grown up in my dream. Luhan is still haven’t change. He’s still cute as ever. My heart beats fast when I see him.

“These are my sons; Luhan and Yifan. This is Mrs. Seo and her daughter, Seo Joohyun. You can be friends with her.”

Yifan smiles at me but Luhan has this blank face while looking at me. I’m so disappointed. I thought that he will smile at me. Or maybe he has not change at all? He is still a stubborn and rebellious Luhan? Did he forget about that dream or that dream is actually never happened? At least for him.

Yifan comes in front of me and waves.

“Hi! I’m Yifan. Let me show you my house.”

He drags me without I manage to say anything. I want to talk to Luhan though. He shows me everything. Where the kitchen is, where his bedroom is and so on. I notice that Luhan is coming. I take a glance from the corner of my eyes. He enters his room without looking at me at all. I’m really sad.

Then, I remember what I said in my dream before. Yifan is being clinging to me when they moved here. I get it now. I was so embarrassed to look at Luhan in the eyes; that’s what I said in my dream. I think I can look at him now.

“Joohyun, I want to go to the toilet. Can you wait for a while?”

“Sure.”

Yifan is going to the toilet. This is my chance to meet Luhan and talk to him. I go to his room. He is so busy arranging his stuffs. I knock the door.

“Can I help you?”

He didn’t turn to me at all. I pout when he ignores me. It really hurts so much. I guess I have to accept my future from now on and prepare for the worst. I was about to leave him.

“Help me carry those boxes!”

I’m so happy when he acknowledges my presence. I quickly take that box.

“Where should I put this?”

“There!”

He points to where I should put this box. I go there and put the box on the floor. I turn to walk but I didn’t realize that there’s a box and I hit it. I scream and my body drops on Luhan while shutting my eyes tightly.

I open my eyes slowly and I’m on top of Luhan. Not only that, my lips landed on his lips! The same thing happened in my dream too. I quickly stand up because I’m afraid that he will get mad at me. I want to go out but he grabs my hand.

“Good! You’re changing the future.” He winks at me.

I blink at his wink. Why? Just why? I’m melting right now. I swear I have never feel like this before when other boys wink at me. Instead, I feel disgust when they wink at me. But Luhan is different. When he winks, it’s like he has a magnet that pulls me towards him.

“How about you stick with me until we officially married? That’s how we change our future.”

I try to wink at him like how he did to me just now but I failed. I blinked my eyes instead. This is so embarrassing. Luhan chuckles after seeing my failed wink. He leans to me and kisses my cheek just like how I did to him in my dream.

“What are you doing to her, Luhan? You kiss her cheek? I’m going to tell mom and her mother.”

Yifan saw Luhan kissed my cheek and he’s going to tell the mothers. We go out to where our mothers are. But of course, Yifan already told them about the kiss. I hope Luhan didn’t say anything about our accident kiss on our lips.

“Luhan kisses Joohyun’s cheek!”

“So what?! She’s my future wife! What’s your problem?”

Everyone gasps at Luhan’s statement.

 

 

 

 

 


I have another story coming up but I don't know when I will post it because I need to think the flow and the plot of that story. Stay tuned!