Dream and Future

The Future

 

“Emergency! Please give a way.”

The nurses warned all the people to give their way as the stretcher with a girl on it; or maybe I should say it’s me, passes through the hallway. They pushed me to the place that I don’t know where they want to go but there are a lot of doors that they entered. They are in hurry as they pushed the stretcher even faster that I couldn’t keep my pace with them.

“We need an operation theater now! Which one is empty?”

“Right there!”

“Hurry! Call the doctor now!”

Everyone is really fast. Well, it’s because they have a patient that needs to be operated now. Why am I so surprise?

The nurses placed me on the operating table and start to attach me with some wires or tubes or whatever it is called. I don’t know why I’m here actually. Why am I so eager to see myself being operated by a doctor? As far as I know, I’m really scared of hospital. I could pass out if I see blood.

“Tell the Blood Bank Department, we need around 10 bags of blood type O positive.”

“Do we know her blood type?”

“We don’t but she lost a lot of blood and it’s an emergency case so we have to use blood O group.”

My blood type is A. Why they need blood O for me? I can’t say anything because they knew better than me. I’m just a 12 years old girl who just got hit by an accident while crossing the road with a car because the driver is drunk.

The doctor arrived and first, he asks about me. What happen to me? What’s my condition? They say something that I don’t understand. Then, he starts to do his job that I don’t what is he actually doing.

“Doctor, we received a report that the patient is blood A negative!”

“What?! Damn it!”

I didn’t know that doctor can say that. But he looks so agitated. Is there something bad happened?

“Do they have blood A negative?”

“They have but it’s not enough for this patient. Around 5 bags?”

“What about blood O negative?”

“They have that as well but only 2 bags. They won’t allow us to use blood O negative because it’s rare.”

“Ask them about the expiry date of that blood. They will allow us to use it if the expiry date is near and tell them it’s an emergency case. If that’s not enough, ask her family to donate their blood if they are negative too or announce to people that we need blood A negative urgently.”

My jaw drops with every word that they’re saying. I understand nothing. A few minutes later, I see a tray carry small bags with the red liquid inside. What is that?

“Hurry! We need to transfuse the blood now.”

That’s the blood? So that’s where they put the blood. The bag is cute though but seeing a thick red liquid makes me shiver and disgusting.

Somehow, I watch the doctor and the nurses doing their things with my body. I go to my ear and whisper ‘you’re going to be alright’, ‘everything is going to be fine’, ‘don’t worry’. It’s funny because you give encouragement words to yourself. I’m so glad that no one saw me doing that. I would be embarrassed to death.

But then I notice a figure near the door of the operation room. I feel weird because I thought that I saw a young boy who probably around my age. What is he doing here? Does anyone notice him? I ignore it but I take a glance to make sure that I’m just dreaming but I see him there. He did nothing, except standing there looking at my body being operated.

I have no mood to ask him because I’m too busy encouraging myself. Suddenly, everything becomes chaotic. I don’t know what’s going on but everyone running here and there like there’s a war inside the room. I look at the doctor and he is looking at the people there while shaking his head. What does that mean? Don’t tell me that I’m dead?

I follow him but what makes me surprise is that the boy who was standing at the operation room follows him as well. What’s wrong with him? Who is he? I don’t say any word to him because the doctor walks to my parents direction.

“Your daughter…… is in comatose.”

My parents are crying. What? Does that mean that I’m dead? Then, the doctor walks away from my parents. No, this can’t be! Tell me that I’m fine!

 


 

I see myself in a room after the surgery. My parents are there, sitting beside my lying body. My mother is crying. I’m not dead, am I? If I am, I would not be here in the first place. At least, that makes me feel better a little. I have a chance to live.

I still looking at myself but then, I see the same boy that was in the operation room when I was operated. He is outside of my room but he looks at me through the window. I don’t understand why is he here? Who is he and why he is following me? I think it’s time to face him after I try to ignore him every time he’s here.

I walk out to the room and I don’t have to push the door because my parents might be surprised with it. Of course who wouldn’t? The door is opened by someone but no one is coming in or out. I stand next to him but he didn’t realize that I’m here.

“What are you doing here?”

He flinched by the time I asked him. He blinks at me with surprise look on his face. Why? This is the first time you have seen a ghost?

“You can see me?” He said in surprise.

Funny!

“You can hear me?”

I retorted back. Why do I find him amusing?

“Who are you? Why are you here? Why are you following me around?”

I finally asked the questions that bugging in my mind ever since I saw him at the operation theater room. I feel like he’s a stalker or something.

“I’m just like you. You’re Seo Joohyun, right?”

I look at the door of my room. There’s number of the room and the name of the patient which is me.

“What do you think?”

Of course he knows my name because my name was written on the door. Then, where does he know my name?

“Finally, I found you!” He said with a beam.

I furrow my eyebrows, didn’t understand what he is talking about. He finally found me? Have we met before? Because I’m 100% sure that I have never met any boy before. I don’t have many male friends at my school. I’m a shy type girl. For 6 years in school, I have none male friends.

“I’m Luhan.” He introduces himself while offering a handshake.

I reach my hand to him, to shake his hand. This is the first time I hold a boy’s hand. It was so soft and-, wait! I can touch his hand? I can’t touch my parents or even myself. Whenever I tried to touch them, I will always passes through them.

“What are you really?”

I can’t think right now because I was too immerse with the handshake that happened between us just now.

“Like I said, I’m just like you. Come, let me show you!”

He pulls my hand and drags me to another room which 3 rooms away from my room. We go through the door and I see a boy lying on the bed with full of bandage around him. I look around the room and no one is there. I look closely at the boy who is on the bed before look back and forth to the boy and that boy named Luhan. It’s the same boy?

“That’s me!”

I look so shock to see him like that. There’s a huge difference. What exactly happen to him?

“What happened to you? Why are you like this?”

I’m eager to know about that. His condition looks so worse compared to me.

“I’m a stubborn and rebellious boy, especially to my parents as well as my brother, Yifan. My parents love Yifan more than me because he always respects our parents and listens to them very well. But I’m different than him. I don’t listen to them and always fight back to them.” He stops for a while before he continues.

“One day, my family went for a holiday and my parents bought a ball for my brother but not for me. I was so mad that I shouted at them for not buying it for me. They scolded me for being too noisy and told me to shut up. They said that I will be punished for raising my voice to them.” He stops again while heaving a sigh before he continues again.

“We were in the car and my father was driving. Because I was so mad at them, I opened the car door and jumped out of the car while the car is still moving. My head hit the road and I was unconscious. I have a serious damage on my head and my skull was almost crack due to the impact. The doctor was afraid that this will affect my brain but I ended up in comatose.”

I roll my eyes while listening to his story. Serve him right! Who told him to be disrespectful to his parents?

“About my parents and my brother, after they found out that I was in comatose, they just went back home and continued with their life. They rarely visit me and told the nurse to call them if I wake up. The doctor once asked them why no one accompanies me and they said that I’m in comatose and there’s nothing for them to do here. They don’t want to waste their time staying here while waiting for me to open my eyes.” He says bitterly.

Although I scoff at his behavior, I feel bad for him that no one cares about him. It feels like they don’t want him as part as their family anymore. Sure he is a stubborn that he created a lot of troubles but they should at least care for him. I wouldn’t surprise if he will become more stubborn than before.

“I think you should reflect yourself about what you have done to your family.”

It is better that I tell him that before it’s too late. I want him to learn his lesson after this. He looks at me and I notice that he has a pair of doe eyes. It’s really pretty and I could see a sparkling inside his eyes.

“May I know how old are you?”

I don’t know why I asked him that question but I’m curious about his age. He looks so cute. He has a baby face.

“I’m 13 years old.”

My eyes are wide open. 13? Is he serious? He looks younger than me. I’m jealous.

“Joohyun, I want you to come with me.”

I blink when he said that. Don’t tell me that he’s going to take my life!

“Don’t worry. I’m not going to do anything to you. I just want you to know something. It’s about us!”

Us? Did he just say us? What does he mean?

“Will you follow me? I swear that we will back here.”

He assures me that both of us will back. I don’t know what I should say. Yes or no? But before I agree, I need to know where does he going to take me.

“Where are you going to take me?”

“You will know if you follow me.”

Should I trust him? It’s not easy for me to trust other people especially to stranger. But we’re the only people that can communicate with each other.

“Okay. I will follow you.”

 


 

He holds my hand and I follow him to the exit of the hospital. Where are we going? Do we really need to leave the hospital? Once I exited the hospital, I confuse with the scenery outside of the hospital. As far as I remember when I entered here, this place doesn’t look like this. I notice that everything seems to be so modern, even modern than the current one.

“Where are we going?”

I don’t know how many times I asked this question to him. He didn’t answer instead he said that I will know soon. As I pass by some places, I notice there are huge differences than what it used to be. There are a lot of fancy cars and some I didn’t know that it is exists. I see passersby and they are wearing fancy clothes.

We head towards the airport. I’m surprise with how the airport looks like. I think I remember the last time I went to airport and it was different. Is this the same airport that I used to go? What happened to this airport? Are there any workers here because it looks so empty except people who want to take a flight? Everything is operated by machine.

We stop at certain place. I look at Luhan. I was about to ask him why we stop.

“Look at the two ladies there!” He told me while pointing somewhere.

I look at where he was pointing to. I see there are two ladies standing facing each other and then they hug. I look at him again. Why he wants me to look at them?

“Go to them and look closely at the lady’s face who is wearing a white dress.”

I raise my eyebrow with his order. Why does he want me to do that? It makes me look like a stalker.

“They won’t notice you. We’re not in the real world.”

Yes, he’s right! I forgot that I’m just a soul or a ghost or something. So, I follow his order. I walk to the two ladies that he mentioned just now. I try to look at the lady’s face who is wearing a white dress but their conversation cut me off.

“Yoona, make sure you are careful when you are in foreign country. This is the first time you are going to oversea.”

I freeze in my place. Yoona? She’s my best friend! My best friend since we entered our school.

“I know, Joohyun. I hope that you will continue your study somewhere.”

What?! I look at the lady’s face. Big eyes, small lips, fair skin and she look like me. Who are you? Your face looks like me but you look older. Is that why Luhan told me to look at you? I don’t understand. What is happening here? Why did you look like me and why your name is Joohyun?

I notice that the lady who looks like me turns to her left. She looks like she is staring at someone. I follow her gaze and see two guys; one is a tall guy and he is smiling at our direction and the other one looks so cold and bored to be there. I see Luhan standing in front of the cold guy while muttering something to him. Like that guy could hear him.

Then, the ladies leave their place but the lady who looks like me turns her head towards the direction in which both guys at. She must be looking at the guy who was smiling at her. I walk to Luhan and both guys are leaving as well.

“What is this? What is going on here?”

The truth is I still don’t understand what happen right now. It doesn’t make sense. Who are those two ladies and the guys? Luhan faces to me while putting his hands on my shoulder.

“We’re at the future.”

I bewilder with his remark. Future? Is he kidding me? I laugh out loud while clapping my hands. He is so funny.

“Joohyun, I’m serious! The lady in white dress is you! The two guys that you saw are me and my brother. My brother is looking at you!” He says coarsely, trying to convince me that he is telling the truth.

Silent. So it’s true. It’s not only me who thought that she looks like me. How does he know and sure that lady is me?

“How do you that she’s me?”

“I have been in comatose for a month. Every day, I went through this dream without a miss. Nothing is really changed about this dream. It’s all the same thing happens in this dream. I feel like this is what happen to us in the future. As you can see, you just met yourself in the future and I met myself in the future. I know that you’re still in shock but I hope that you can go through this dream with me before we decide it.” He explains to me.

“Decide what?”

What kind of decision that we need to make?

“To change our future.”

I don’t get what he said but I’m curious about my future as well. Maybe I should give a try. Will I become a teacher that I have always dreamed since I was young?

“Follow me.”

He takes my hand and drags me to somewhere. We go to the exit but unlike when we were at the hospital, I see nothing towards the exit except a white light that blinded my eyes. He drags me until we reach to the white light.

 


 

Both of us reach to a very familiar place; my place. This is where I live. Why am I here with him? We walk to a house when I see the same lady or maybe should I call her me, walk towards the house in annoyed. She looks like she is mad with something.

When she reaches the house, there’s a tall guy that I saw at the airport just now. The one who smiled at me.

“That’s my brother, Yifan.” Luhan told me about his brother.

I see myself going towards him.

“What on earth are you thinking? Do you have a respect to me? Have you ever think about me while you‘re taking that decision?”

I’m surprise to look at myself confronting at some guy. Why? What happen? Why did I get mad at him?

“It’s my father’s wish.”

“I know but I need to further my studies. I have a dream. I don’t want my dreams to get ruin by some idea from your father. Do you know my parents were so happy that I finally managed to go to oversea for studies? I work very hard to achieve that. But now your father wants me to get married with you?”

What was that? Married? But what kind of dream that I have since I need to go to oversea?

“I’m not the one who will get married with you.”

Huh? Then, I get married with whom?

“My father arranged you and Luhan to get married.”

I look at Luhan and he looks back at me with a gentle face. In the future, I will get married to him. I look at his brother. He looks so sad. I bet he has a crush on me. Then, I look at myself. The anger of my face disappeared and now I look so blank. I don’t understand that facial expression.

Then, we enter his house. I’m surprise to see me and my mother with Luhan and a woman whom I assume to be his mother. I nudge at him, “That’s your mother?” He nods to me.

Both the mothers excuse themselves to go to the kitchen and leave both of us alone there. Luhan looks so bored while I look so nervous around him.

“So you agree to get married with me?” He asked me with a harsh tone.

“It’s your father’s wish.”

“You have the right to say no but why you didn’t say it?”

I flinch when he started to shout at me.

“This is like the most stupid idea ever. Do you think I want to get married with you? I bet you don’t want either but why you didn’t reject it?”

He actually doesn’t want to get married with me? Then, why I’m with him now? I turn to him and he looks down all the time.

“What’s wrong?”

He flinched when I touched his shoulder.

“I just feel mad and embarrassed.”

“Why?”

“I have never thought that I will be like this in the future.”

 


 

Both of us sit on the bench at the park. We were talking all day. Somehow, I start to feel close with him. I guess he will be my first male friend in my whole life. But I still don’t understand what happened earlier. I recalled the moment when he shouted at me saying that he doesn’t want to get married with me. He said that I have the right to say no. I wonder why I didn’t say that. I clearly told his brother that I don’t want to get married because of my dream but why did I agree to get married with him instead?

The sky turns dark and I’m surprise that everything happened so fast. But Luhan said that everything that I saw just now is not exactly happens on the same day.

“How do you know about that?”

“Didn’t I tell you that I’m having the same dream every day? Every day while facing my dream, I will try to do something else because I know every story in my dream. I noticed that our future will last for years.”

I wonder if he ever feels bored having to face the same dream every day. I wonder why he doesn’t want to wake to end those dream. I ask him about that.

“I don’t want my future to be like that. It’s scary. I have a fear but somehow my fear happens in my future.”

He looks so scared when he said that. I wonder what his fear is.

“What kind of fear that you scared of?”

“I think it’s time for us to go. Come!”

He avoids my question. Does my question is his fear too?

 


 

We go to my house. I’m surprise that my house didn’t change any single thing. Maybe the outside is still the same. I’m not sure about the inside.

We enter my house and surprise that they are a huge number of people in my house. What happened? I look around my house but my eyes stop at this particular view in front of my eyes. It’s me and Luhan. What are we doing there? I notice on what are we wearing and realize that we are wearing a wedding dress! That means we’re married! I thought that we won’t because of Luhan.

That night, we go inside the room where both of us are together in the room but something unexpected happens. I feel offended when I hear all the insults that Luhan said to me. Maybe I’m just a 12 years old girl who still naïve about love and marriage, but I still have a feeling when I hear his insults towards me. I feel hurt so badly. I question myself why did I agree to marry with him.

I look at Luhan who is standing next to me. He clenches his fist while shutting his eyes tightly. He looks so mad. Maybe he is mad with his future self. I don’t mind that. At least, this will change his attitude I guess?

Luhan is sleeping but on the floor which is surprising because I thought an arrogant guy like his future self will ask the girl to sleep on the floor instead of him. My future self stands in front of the window when Luhan goes to her.

“Don’t worry. I won’t touch you. Never!”

He won’t touch me? Didn’t he hold my hands during the wedding reception? Isn’t that considered a touch? I stop thinking about that when I hear myself sobbing. Now you’re regret, aren’t you?

The next day, we sit at the dining room and I see me and my family including Luhan are there. Luhan is just being an arrogant guy and he is silent all the time.

“So Luhan, what’s your planning about your honeymoon?”

I pull Luhan’s arm, “What is honeymoon?”

He frowns while looking at me. What? Is it wrong that I didn’t know about it?

“It’s a vacation where a newly married couple usually goes.”

I nod at him. I thank him for telling me about that before turn to watch our ‘show’.

“I think we’re going to New York.”

New York? It’s my dream place to go! Actually, going to any foreign country is like my dream and I can’t believe that I will go there. I’m so happy.

Luhan pulls me to the front door and like what I had seen at the airport, there’s a bright white light there. We enter through the light and we end up at the airport. Wow! That light is the teleported! Then, I see me and Luhan with our luggage. Oh, we’re going to New York! I remember about that.

“I need your passport.”

I give my passport to him.

“I will check-in for both of us. You stay here.”

He goes somewhere while bringing his luggage and me sitting there with my luggage. I sit beside myself while waiting for him. Will New York appear in my dream? Maybe I could tell my parents about my trip to New York when I wake up. I can’t wait for that.

“Flight to New York will depart-”

Suddenly, she rushes while taking all luggages after hearing the announcement and goes to the departure door but she couldn’t enter. I wonder why but then I realize that my passport is with Luhan. I look at me who was roaming here and there while waiting for him. I wonder where he is. Where is he going? She looks through the glass wall and freezes in her position. I follow her eyes and I see Luhan inside while looking at me and then he rolls his eyes and slowly his figure disappears from our sight.

He left me alone at the airport.

 

 

 

 

 


I'm sorry for my awful grammar. I change my mind from one-shot to maybe two or three.