Caught between two stools

A drowning man will clutch at straws

After spending half an hour convincing Seokjin to give up his home address, Namjoon finds himself outside of a rather small shabby apartment. Once he's carefully extracted the older boy from the passenger seat he lifts Seokjin bridal style and walks up to the front door hoping that he'll be able to find a key in the other's pocket. 

"Hey Princess, gimme a hand yeah?" He  tries to stand the other against the front door wondering if anyone will be waiting up for Seokjin.

"I don't know." The older boy was mumbling while trying to push Namjoon away who had been shoving his hands into the other's pockets looking for the key. This only made Namjoon laugh, clearly Seokjin had no idea what was going on or what he was even saying for that matter.

"It doesn't matter I found the key, let's get you upstairs before someone thinks we're trying to break in or something." With that he moves Seokjin to stand against the wall next to the door and lets them both into the apartment. Once he manages to drag Seokjin into the living room his grasp on the other loosens, too busy gaping at how small the room is, causing Seokjin to collapse in a heap on the floor.

". Come on, get up. Why can't you even stand, how much did you drink?" Namjoon lifted the other boy and made his way to the bedroom, it was easier to find than he orginally thought because the apartment was really that small.

"How much of this are you going to remember, huh? Didn't you say you had something to do tomorrow morning?" After recieving no reply he tucked Seokjin into bed leaving  a glass of water and some headache tablets on the bedside table. Not to be nice or anything, it's just because he has stuff for Seokjin to do tomorrow and he doesn't want the guy slacking because of a hangover. At least that's what he tells himself because Namjoon is not nice to anyone, not even pretty boys like Seokjin.

-

(Received 7:00): Don't forget to come over tonight, you've got work to do and I don't pay you for nothing.

Seokjin scrambles out of bed in a panic with a terrible hangover trying to get his bearings. He doesn't feel like pointing out that he did get paid to go out and get drunk last night, so technically he had been working. 

(Delivered: 7:02): I feel like dying, this hangover is no joke. Also how the hell did I get home last night?
(Recieved: 7:05):  I got someone to take you home because you were wasted. 
(Delivered: 7:05): Really? I don't remember anything at all, I don't even remember getting to the club. I didn't embarass myself to much I hope?
(Recieved: 7:10): No you didn't. Don't you have something to do this morning?

Damn it. Yeah he did have something to do this morning. He has an exam in less than an hour and he has the worlds worst hangover. Great. Seokjin was in the middle of wondering whether or not he could afford to skip the exam and retake it at a later date when he saw the glass of water and medicine on the bedside table.

(Delivered: 7:12): Who took me home last night?
(Recieved: 7:012):  I don't know, why does it matter?
(Delivered: 7:12): They left some medicine next to my bed. I just wanted to thank them for being sweet.  

Deciding that taking a shower and eating some breakfast, would probably make him feel a lot better, he made his way to the bathroom and jumped into the shower. . He still hasn't paid his gas bill leaving him no choice but to have a freezing cold shower to help with the hangover. By the time he got to the kitchen he found that he actually had no food left in his cupboards so breakfast was off the table, today was just not his day. After he got into his car, and found that he didn't have enought petrol to drive all the way to university, he decided to call it quits. Practically storming back into the apartment, he threw himself into the uncomfortable little sofa he had once found in the street, and accepted the fact that he wasn't going to make the exam. Maybe he should just spend the day running errands, at least that way it wouldn't be a complete waste of a day. He pulled out his busted up laptop from under the sofa to check his bank account. He was so shocked that Namjoon had already paid him that he almost dropped the laptop, granted it was rather cheap and old but it was all he could afford at the time and he needed it. He could definitely afford to do his grocery shopping now but in all honesty that was thinking rather small scale, with this money he could afford a new apartment as well as some decent furniture. Seokjin decides the best course of action is to go and get fuel for his car, pick up shopping and spend the rest of the afternoon looking at apartments online until he left to meet Namjoon.

-

Seokjin pulls up to the familliar black iron wrought gates half an hour earlier than the agreed time, in all honesty he had gotten bored looking at apartments and he wasn't really sure where the best place to buy was anyway. Once inside he makes his way to Namjoon's office and takes a seat in front of the large desk he had sat himself in not two days ago.

"You're early." Namjoon had walked into the room so quietly the older boy hadn't even been aware of his presence and almost leapt out of his skin on hearing his voice.

"Yeah today has not been my day, I missed my exam and ended up apartment hunting instead. Then I got bored, and to tell the truth I don't even know what I'm looking for, so here I am."

"Wow, you really don't have a social life do you? You're that bored you came to work early." Seokjin bristled a little at that, he'd already explained he didn't bother making any friends, he came to university for a degree not a social life.

"Well does it really matter what I do with my personal time? Do you have something for me to do or not?" Namjoon was trying to surpress a smirk, for some reason getting under the other's skin was just too much fun.

"No you're right, whatever you don't do in your personal time is none of my business. I mean at least I know that last night was the most fun you've had this year, right?" He really couldn't resist now forgoing the  previous smirk for full on laughter. Seokjin didn't even bother to reply because he coundn't even remember last night so he had no idea how much 'fun' he actually had. He decided to stare blankly at the other until he'd gotten a hold of himself.

"Okay, okay I'm done. I want you to go back to the bar and look over all the sales last night. You can get details on the drink sales from the registers, but for all the other sales you'll need to speak to Suga. I'll give you his number and let him know you're gonna call." The younger man was all business now, his job was definitely something he took seriously. Seokjin was just about the leave the room when Namjoon spoke up suddenly, the playful lilt in his voice returned.

"oh yeah and don't write down specifics or anything. Just the general gist of where money is going we need to be discreet, yeah?" Namjoon's smirk was back and Seokjin could do nothing but roll his eyes, did he really look that stupid.

-

Seokjin arrives at the club not twenty minutes later when he's receiving a phone call from an unknown number, after debating for a few seconds whether or not to accept it, he hits the answer button. He's greeted with a deep and rather grumpy sounding voice  on the other end.

"What's taking you so damn long huh? I don't have all day to wait around for your call you know." He barely acknowledges what the person is saying, too busy struggling with the door keys. 

"Do you wanna watch your tone! I don't even know who this is, so can you not bite my head off...damn it!" After dropping the keys for a second time he gives up trying to lock the door behind him and carries on towards the cash registers behind the bar. 

"You sound like you're having fun. This is Suga and you were supposed to call." The voice on the reciever sounded amused now, clearly enjoying the idea of Seokjin struggling.

"Yeah I was gonna call, there wasn't a time limit and I didn't know Namjoon had already spoken to you. I've only just got to the club, gimme a second." Seokjin couldn't help but snap at the other. Truthfully he didn't want to get on Suga's bad side but he couldn't let anyone walk all over him, not now he was working with people like Namjoon who'd eat him alive. 

"No need to sound so pissy, I'm doing you a favour. I'm leaving soon and I won't have my phone on, which would make your life much harder unless I called you before. But I mean, if you're too busy..." Hell no, Seokjin was not gonna be waiting around til god knows when for Suga's phone to be turned back on.

"No wait! I'm almost ready lemme grab a pen hang on." He could hear the other chuckle through the receiver which only aggravated him more but at least he might get things done quicker this way.

"That's what I thought... what was your name again? Princess?" Oh yeah Suga was definitely laughing now, this stupid nickname needed to go, damn Namjoon.

"Ha. Ha. That's a bit rich coming from you isn't it, 'Suga'. My name is Seokjin, thank you very much." Now that he was sitting up at the bar equipped with pen and paper he could finally get the details from the other and hang up.

"Shall I hang up now then or...?" Seokjin wouldn't put it past the other to actually hang up and make him wait around for the information and he really didn't need that right now.

"No no, I'm ready just hurry up."

After spending another ten minutes on the phone with Suga going through all the figures, he then spent another twenty minutes trying to work out the most inconspicuous way of noting all this down on his laptop. He honestly didn't think he was doing too badly with this, it's not like they taught this kinda thing in his accountancy lectures. Well at least not a step-by-step 'how to' guide considering it was very much illegal. Once he'd figured everything out he was pretty relieved about the fact that laundering the money would be simple seeing as Namjoon already owned a legitimate business. He made his way around the bar towards the register and started noting down all the figures, Seokjin could tell this club was for the insanely wealthy because the amount made in one night was absolutely ridiculous, obviously not as much a Suga was pushing around nationwide but still a lot none the less. He was definitely glad he didn't have to pay for any of the drinks he had last night because one drink alone cost about an arm and a leg. Then he was hit with the sudden realisation that complete strangers were willing to buy these drinks for him just to have an excuse to be in his presence. Seokjin wasn't stupid and he didn't play coy, he knew he was attractive but was a five minute conversation with him really worth that much? He really wasn't much of a conversationalist and he was sure that he didn't say much to  anyone that night. A slight wave of guilt hit Seokjin knowing that the guests had been cheated out of a lot of money because he was probably a lot less interesting than they'd thought he'd be and therefore not worth the money. Just as he'd finished inputting all the data into his laptop he heard the sound of someone entering the club behind him.

"You're not supposed to leave the door unlocked you know, it's dangerous. Anyone could have walking in behind you and shot you in the back of the head. That's why we all have separate keys, so we can lock ourselves in." Seokjin stood with his mouth hanging open slightly, for two reasons. One; he was standing face to face with one of the unbelievable attractive dancers he saw last night. Two; said dancer had so casually mention the strong possibility of being brutally murdered.

"Erm, sorry I didn't know..but like...is that something that's likely to happen?" The dancer broke into a bright grin and laughed a little.

"Yeah that's likely to happen, but don't worry just lock yourself in when you get inside. Oh and I'm J-Hope by the way, one of the dancers, which is actually why I'm here. Practicing you know?" Somehow his smile got even brighter and Seokjin was sure that his breath audibly hitched, he just hoped that the other didn't hear it.

"Oh yes, hi I'm Seokjin. I saw you dance last night, it was pretty amazing to be honest, all of you danced so well. I'm sorry but did you just say your name is J-hope?" Now Seokjin was certain this was just a nickname but he didn't want to outright ask for the guy's real name, that might be a bit forward.

"Well J-hope is just a nickname that everyone calls me. I can't tell you my real name though, at least not yet, I hardly know you afterall. It's dangerous business giving out your real name round here, poor Jiminie made that mistake already and it's too late to change it now." The older man balked at that, nobody told him to give out a nickname!

"Why can't you give out your real name, what will happen? I've already introduced myself to people with my real name! Nobody told me to chose a nickname." J-hope's face softened slightly and gave Seokjin a reassuring pat on the shoulder which didn't do much to reassure him funnily.

"Well, it doesn't matter it's too late now. Just be careful who you trust because terrible things can happen in this line of work, trust me I would know." J-hope kinda looked like he was done speaking and was about to turn and leave but Seokjin spoke before he could stop himself.

"Why, what do you mean?" The younger looked up at Seokjin surprised and for a moment he seemed to contemplate just leaving without an explaination. After a moment of uncomfortable silence he took pity on Seokjin and dragged him by the sleeve to sit on the stools at the bar.

"Man, you really don't know what you signed up for do you?" Seokjin would have thought that J-hope was being condescending but the younger seemed genuinely concerned.

"Well, Namjoon told me I would be his accountant as well as some kind of, I don't even know what to call it, 'lure' to his club? He didn't say it'd be dangerous and I suppose you wouldn't say something like that when recruiting, but I mean, I know of Namjoon so I figured it wouldn't be 100% safe but..." Seokjin began trailing off when he saw the incredulous look on the the other's face.

"Well I didn't think my life would be on the line! Stop looking at me like that, I need the money." The younger gave a snort of laughter and nodded his head in understanding.

"Yeah I get you, money isn't easy to come by. If you had known your life was going to be in danger would you still have signed the contract?" Seokjin was caught between two stools. He couldn't deny he had been desperate, none of the jobs were helping with his financial problems and he didn't have any family or friends to help him out. It was either drop out of uni and be broke or risk his life working for Namjoon.

"I guess I would have, yeah. That's pretty messed up right, risking my life for money?" He forced a laugh sounding dry and humourless even to his own ears.

"Nah not really, I joined up and it wasn't even for the money everybody's got a price. Can I ask what you need the money for, just out of curiosity?"

"oh er, I need to pay university fees and like bills and whatever. I don't really have anyone to help me out and the regular jobs weren't cutting it."

"Ah, well I know what you mean, uni bills are no joke. I'm Majoring in Dance, what about you?" 

"Oh really, you're at the university too? I'm doing Accountancy, not going to lie though it's not what I thought it'd be. I'm sure you're going to pass your course with flying colours, is that why you got a job here, the dancing?" The younger boy gave a short laugh and seemed to contemplate Seokjin before answering.

"I did get a job here because I could dance but it's not the only reason." He seemed as though he was going to let Seokjin in on a big secret but then changed his mind last minute. 

"In all honesty the backstory is pretty grim, I don't wanna upset you or anything..."

"No I want to know, I mean I'm going to be here for a few years and it would be good to get to know the people around here. Might make things more comfortable for everyone if there's not just some 'new guy' hanging around." Seokjin didn't really want to seem pushy but getting to know everyone was probably a good idea, hopefully everyone could get used to him being a new member more quickly this way.

"Hmm, well its not just my backstory its also the reason Kookie managed to get a job here and it also involves V but if you're Joonie's new right hand man I guess it's okay for you to know?" He sat quietly playing with one of the menus from the bar, giving himself a few minutes to decide whether he could share the privileged information with Seokjin. J-hope supposed the elder came across as a nice trustworthy guy, a little awkward and shy but harmless none the less, and if Namjoon trusted Seokjin then maybe he could too.

"Okay well, me and V have known each other for a long time, like years. We always hung out after class, rode our bike to the park, went for ice-cream, you know all that good stuff, then after a few years of being best friends with him and being around his family all the time I got close with his brother too." J-hope began shift uncomfortably in his seat no longer meeting Seokjin's eyes.

"Me and his brother started to date and things were good, like really good; I had the best friend I could hope for, I had a super caring boyfriend and school was going well. Then I found out that V was really good friends with the guy my boyfriend worked for, Namjoon, and I wanted to meet him too. They were all really close and friendly and I wanted to be part of it." The younger boy's voiced cracked and became a little wobbly, stopping every now and then to compose himself. Seokjin did not like where this was going and seeing the younger so shaken upset him.

"You don't have to continue if it's too much, I'm really sorry for bringing it up." Seokjin interupted reaching across to lay a hand on J-hope forearm in the hopes of comforting him.

"No it's fine, you were right before, well should all get comfortable together." J-hope sat up straight on the bar stool and smiled at Seokjin trying to hold himself together.

"After a few months Namjoon told me he wanted dancers for his club and asked if I knew anybody willing to help him out. I said that I was studying dance and that I could ask around and see who needed a job. I didn't manage to find anyone willing to dance at a club, everyone thought they were better than that, but in my opinion dancing is dancing, so I joined and V managed to get Jimin along." The raven laughed a little and smiled fondly, Jimin was a good kid and he really thanked his lucky stars that Jimin had join because the younger boy's friendship has been invaluable over the years.

"So there we were; all working together, looking out for each other, taking care of each other. Then one day..." J-hope's voiced cracked and he tried to clear his throat a few times, wishing he could be strong and just finish the damn story. Seokjin jumped up and walked behind the bar and got the younger man a drink from the cooler under the bar. Walking back to his stool next to the other he handed over the drink with a warm smile, wondering whether to continue the conversation at a later date. There was a short pause while J-hope drank the drink and tried to collect himself, pushing on with the story before he broke down in tears in front of the other.

"One day I came into work and V was crying in front of Namjoon who looked really shaken and pissed off, so I ran over trying to comfort V thinking that he'd just made Joonie angry enough to snap at him or something. Namjoon wouldn't look me in the eye and V was crying too much to tell me what was wrong. Eventually Namjoon told me that...he'd been killed and...I..." J-hope couldn't speak beyond this point, his voice kept wobbling and his eye's were b with tears. Seokjin felt sick and imensely guilty for making J-hope recount the story of his boyfriend's murder. Without another word Seokjin stood up and engulfed the crying boy into a hug, he wasn't sure if it was a bit awkward as they'd just met but it felt like the right thing to do and the other didn't pull away. Infact he buried his face in Seokjin's chest and gripped onto his shirt  sobbing harder, the younger man was visable shaking and Seokjin felt awful watching the poor boy's heart break again.

"I'm so sorry J-hope, I didn't think about the story upsetting you. I'm so sorry you had to go through that, that you're still going through it. You don't deserve to feel like this, nobody does." Seokjin really couldn't think of what to say or do, maybe he should offer to call someone or maybe suggest doing something else to take his mind of it?

"It's...it's not your f-fault, I thought I could handle t-talking about it but I was w-wrong." His breathing was becoming uneven and Seokjin was a little worried he might pass out so he just stood there with the younger boy in his arms rubbing comforting circles into his back, after a few more minutes of this J-hope had calmed down.

"I'm sorry, this is really embarrassing I didn't mean to cry like a baby on you." The younger boy mumbled into Seokjin's shirt not lifting his head to meet the elder's eyes.

"Don't say that! You have every right to cry, I shouldn't have stuck my nose in your business like that." Before Seokjin could suggest getting a breath of fresh air or doing something else J-hope pulled back out of his arms and wipped his face.

"Anyway the story's not done yet..." The raven seemed to have composed himself and was about to start up his story again.

"No wait, you don't have to continue we could go and do something else, try and take your mind off it a little bit." J-hope grinned at that, smile radiating so brightly Seokjin thought he might just go blind.

"You're so sweet, don't worry about me and the sad part is over now anyway." The older boy felt a little flustered being complimented like that by J-hope, he hoped to cover it up by pulling completely away from the other and sitting back on his stool.

"So basically Namjoon is really pissed about.. you know, what happened so he wants to find the guy who did it, we all do really. Joonie managed to work out which of our rivals did it and he wants to just go kill the lot of them but he also wants to know who actually, you know, did it. He wants to take his time with that one, so he needed a spy to infiltrate and get information." It was Seokjin's turn to start playing nervously with the menu sitting on the bar in front of him because he really, really didn't like where this was going.

"When V first told Namjoon that Kookie was homeless and needed a job at the club it was immediately out of the question, Joonie didn't need some underaged kid working at the club. But then he thought about it some more and he felt that Kookie was probably desperate enough to do anything for a real paying job. He met up with Kookie and saw that, well you've seen him, he's so innocent and cute with those little bunny teeth and everything." J-hope looked a little sheepish now, scratching at the back of his neck awkwardly and Seokjin knew what was coming next.

"So you guys thought that Kookie could make friends with your rivals without any suspicion, because he's so seemingly innocent? He's just a kid though, what if they see him working here in Joonie's club?" Seokjin was feeling a little frantic, he wasn't particularly close to Kookie but the boy was so young and obviously vulnerable.

"Namjoon thought of everything though, he gave Kookie the job here as a cover so V doesn't know what he's actually gotten his friend into and Kookie always makes sure nobody knows he works here. He makes sure to come and go without being seen and honestly do you think Joonie would tolerate any of his rivals anywhere near his turf?" Seokjin began worrying his bottom lip between his teeth, the plan still didn't seem fool proof, an underage boy shouldn't be working a bar for starters and joining some kind of gang didn't seem like a good idea either.

"That's a lot to take in, I don't really know what to say." The older boy started pulling at his sleeves nevously, avoiding eye contact with the boy sitting next to him.

"You don't need to say anything, literally. Don't tell anyone anything and make sure you keep everything locked up after you from now on. But at least now you're kinda up to date and this was an excellent ice-breaker don't you think? Next time you have to be the one crying like a baby, maybe we should watch a sad movie together, you seem like the type to cry at those!" Seokjin was now smiling, J-hope was such a nice guy and it reminded him of the medicine left on his bedside table this morning.

"Okay deal, erm..this might sound weird but I was just wondering, did Namjoon get you to take me home last night?" Having to ask this made the elder blush a little, the thought of being so drunk he couldn't remember getting home was a tad embarrassing.

"Er, no I left pretty quickly last night because I had to get up for class. Why?" Seokjin felt a little disappointed, for some strange reason he just really wanted to know who would do something so thoughtful for him.

"Oh right, no I was just wondering because I was really drunk and I wanted to apologise for probably ruining their night. I don't normally drink you see." J-hope started grinning again and got up out of his seat motioning Seokjin to follow.

"Ah that's really cute of you to want to apologise but I think if Joonie made them take you home they really couldn't complain anyway, everyone kinda does what Namjoon says because well, he's a little scary sometimes." Seokjin could definitely tell that Namjoon was very demanding and authoritative when he wanted to be, making sure nobody put a toe out of line.

"Anyway enough of all that, this last hour has been a rollercoaster of emotions and I'm drained. I need to go and practice my dance, wanna free show?" J-hope smirked a little as he said this and Seokjin felt a little bit shaken and shy, but how could he say no to an offer like that?