Chapter 6

Because I Know

                                                                                     

I do not have anything against Ok Taeyeon, JYP or any other artists that will be featured. They just represent a fictional character. :D

photo from http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-AzOyz8FrUHo/Ud9JPihdpoI/AAAAAAAANLg/DHs-wIE8dXw/s1600/IMG_1989.jpg

 

--

The next morning, Hyomin went to visit her friend, Jo Kwon. He is a famous celebrity and knows a lot of people in the industry. When Hyomin was a new reporter, she interviewed Jo Kwon for lifestyle segment. They clicked and become friends. But due to their busy schedules, they rarely hang out. Jo Kwon is loud and fun person. He has an active lifestyle and has a lot of connections.

“Hyomin!” Jo Kwon went to hug Hyomin and welcome the reporter to his home. “What do I owe the pleasure?”

“Can’t a friend visit her friend?”

“Cut the crap, Hyo. We both you didn’t come here to have tea.”

“I need information. And you’re the best person I can think of who can help me.”

Jo Kwon nodded in agreement to what Hyomin is saying. She knew her friend too well and throwing in a few compliments will smoothen up the conversation. “About what?”

“About Ok Taecyeon?”

“The witness to Patrick Kwang case?”

“Yes.”

“Even the public knows about his profile and jail history.”

“I need ‘more’ information.” Hyomin said emphasizing the word more.

“What gives you the idea that I know something ‘more’ about him?”

“Ok was arrested for drug trafficking. He boasts that he has a lot of ‘well-known’ clients.” Hyomin said leaving her sentence hanging.

“I can’t believe you…! Are you accusing me of…” Jo Kwon becomes defensive and repulsive.

“Don’t be dramatic. I know you do drugs and even supply to some of your fellow celebrity friends.”

“That’s a fact. But I can’t believe you associate me with that Ok guy. Eww.” If there is something about Jo Kwon, it’s that his expressions tell it all.

“I’m sorry if I offended you.” Clueless Hyomin said raising her hands. “I just thought you might know him.”

“First, I would not buy some cheap illegal drugs that he is selling.”

“Kwonnie, drugs are never legal.”

Jo Kwon just rolled his eyes.

“I’m just saying.” Hyomin defended. “Drugs are illegal and all are the same.”

“Honey, you’re so naïve.”

“Huh?”

“Let me explain to a non-druggie like you. There is what we call the ‘clean’ drugs and the ‘dirty’ or ‘cheap’ drugs. We are not talking about the kind of drug or the variety of drugs. We are talking about the sources or suppliers. Most celebrities order from the ‘clean’ supplier. Meaning they are strictly drug selling and nothing more. It’s clean service as what we call. They take good care of their clients but it causes more money.

However, the ‘dirty’ or ‘cheap’ drugs are supplied by lowlife gangs. They sell drugs at a more ‘affordable’ rate. But you would know better than to engage with those people. They will try to on you and even blackmail you if they wanted to. Simply put, it’s messy. Ok belongs to this kind. Most celebrities avoid him. So those ‘well-known’ clients he claims he has are nothing but a bunch of celebrity wannabes.”

“Ok is in a gang?”

“He claims to be but he simply works for a gang.”

“Isn’t that the same thing?”

“Honey, being a gang member and working for a gang is different. Gangs make money from drug trafficking. They employ people like Ok to sell the goods for them. It’s like in a company, there are people who are regular employees and there are those contract workers. Ok is a contract worker.” Jo Kwon explained like he is explaining to a 5 year old.

“Judging from Ok’s personality, he wanted to be part of the gang.”

“Five points for you. Why are you interested in Ok anyway?” Jo Kwon asked but Hyomin was in deep thought.

“What gang does he claims to belong to?”

“JYP. Why are you asking all these? You’re making me nervous or something.”

“I’m covering the Ham trial and I just wanted to be equipped with all the information there is.” Hyomin reasoned out but deep down she wanted more to investigate on this case. Patrick Kwang. Murder. Drugs. Gangs.

“Always ahead of the game, aren’t we?”

“That’s how we become the best.” Hyomin boasts.

“Remember to thank me when you get an award for this.”

“In each and every award” Hyomin smiled cheekily.

“Whatever. Now go. Shoo!”

“Are you throwing me out?”

“Yes.”

“Yah!”

“I’m expecting a guest anytime now. And she wouldn’t want to see you or any girl for that matter here alone with me.”

Hyomin got the message and smiled. “Arasso.” She hugged Jo Kwon and thanked him.

“Just make sure to be careful.” Jo Kwon said while hugging her friend. “You know curiosity kills the cat.” Jo Kwon knows that Hyomin will continue to investigate deeper on Ok. He hopes that his warning will sink in to her friend and cut this Sherlock Holmes thing she is trying to pull off.

“It’s a good thing the cat has nine lives.” Hyomin said with a smile.

And so Jo Kwon knows that his warning reached his friend’s ears but simply ignored.

--

“What do you mean they denied our appeal?!” Qri exclaimed.

“Both appeals.”

“Ugh! I can’t believe this?!”

“They said that you will be out of the hospital tomorrow so you still have enough time to rest before the case. As for your other request, they can never risk her chances of escaping.”

Qri slumped back to her bed. She asked Tiffany to request for an appeal to delay the trial because she is still in the hospital and one of her witnesses, Mrs. Ham, is badly injured. The second appeal was for her client to be allowed to visit her mom in the hospital. Both appeals were requested this morning and both were denied without consideration. She could not help but think that this trial is only being held for the sake of formality when in fact they have already put down the judgment. Qri released a deep long breath to calm down and think.

“What are you doing?” Tiffany asked when she saw Qri getting up from the bed.

“I’m getting out of here.”

“You’re still not well. The hospital said that your release is tomorrow.”

“I don’t have that much time! I was only given 5 days since the arraignment. Actually 4 days since the trial will be at 11am of the fifth day. On the first day I was gunned down. Today is the second which half of a day is almost gone. And the trial is in 3 days!”

“Fine. I’ll call the nurse.”

Tiffany was driving Qri who still has a bandage on her left arm. “Take me to the police station.”

“You need to go home first.”

“Fany, the station now! I need to see my client.”

“I can’t believe this. I’m your boss and you dare make me your driver and even raised your voice on me?! And no thank you or even please…”

Qri faked to be in pain and said, “Please, I’m still a patient. Thank you.” She must have got this from Hyomin.

“Shut up.” Tiffany said and continues to drive to the station. “Do you think the shooting is related to the case?”

“I don’t think it is just a bunch of haters. Those men clearly know what they were doing like they have done this before. I know it has something to do with the case but I can’t put my finger on it.”

“Who would have wanted you or Mrs. Ham dead?”

“I don’t see why they would want us to be dead. I mean from the looks of it, the trial has already been decided so having us killed will do no good to them.”

“Unless…”

“Unless there is something more on to this that we are not aware of.”