Chapter 3

Because I Know

thank you! :) happy heart's day everyone! :D

 

--

October 3, 10:05pm Patrick Kwang and Ham Eunjung entered ‘Hue’ It is a famous club and exclusive only to its members and member’s guests.

October 4 12:45am a CCTV footage show that Patrick Kwang and Ham Eunjung walk out from the club’s backdoor.

October 4 1:20am Ham Eunjung called for an ambulance for Patrick Kwang.

October 4 1:25am Patrick Kwang was found dead in the alley near the club.

Qri has been reviewing the case files. She asked her assistant to bring everything about Patrick Kwang’s case from interviews, police reports, medical reports and even news reports.

Eunjung’s interrogation four months ago and her statement yesterday do match. But it didn’t take away Qri’s concern. All evidences are pointing down to her client. And it does not help the fact that Eunjung’s statement has a lot of loose ends.

First, Ham Eunjung was treated for cuts and bruises which she cannot remember how she got it. According to initial reports, they might have been attacked where she become unconscious and when she woke up she found Patrick Kwang bleeding to death. There are witnesses that claimed that they heard a gunshot nearby between 1:00am. Patrick Kwang also has bruises on him and a gunshot to his abdomen.

Second, the interval from the time they went out from the backdoor to when Ham Eunjung called the ambulance is 35 minutes. Eunjung said that she did not recognize anybody following them. According to Patrick’s autopsy, there were signs of struggle.35 minutes is enough for a fistfight battle.

Third, Eunjung’s fingerprints are all over the victim. It could be explained because she was the one who found the victim and that she tried to revive the victim.

Fourth, Patrick has named Eunjung as the heir to his assets and belongings. Did Eunjung know about this? That she will inherit Patrick’s assets? Patrick being the only son, grew up very close with Eunjung like brothers and sisters. Still is it enough reason to name her the sole heir? Why did he make a will? And he made it a few months before his death. Does he know what is going to happen?

Qri doesn’t know what could be worse than doubting her own client. It would have been better had she known that her client is guilty and honest with her. But Ham Eunjung is rather difficult. She massaged her temples because of headache.

“You’ve been here all night?” Tiffany greeted her.

“You’re early.”

“I always come in this time. You just don’t know because you’re always late.”

“Shut up.” Tiffany is her boss but she can talk freely to her only when they are alone since they knew each other since law school.

“How’s the case so far?”

“How about there’s no case.”

“Is the client difficult or the case itself?”

“Both. I can’t seem to read my client. I don’t know if she is guilty or not. I would rather have someone honest with me so I would now how to defend the case. But this one… it’s as if she is hiding something.”

“It does sound difficult. What are you going to do? The arraignment is tomorrow.”

“Ugh. You don’t have to remind me.” Qri leaned back to her chair. “I feel like there’s something she isn’t telling me.”

“You’re exhausted. Go home and get some sleep.” Qri looked at Tiffany. “A good sleep will help you think clearer.”

“I need to go.”

“Where are you going?”

“To talk to that client of mine.”

“Make sure you go home and change at least.”

--

“Hyomin, ‘the bear’ wants you in his office.”

Hyomin stood up from her desk and walked to her boss’s office. They call him ‘the bear’ simply because he is huge and looks like a bear.

She knocked on the opened door to call the bear’s attention. “You called?”

“Come in.” Hyomin went inside and sat. “You made such a ruckus last night.”

She knows what he is talking about. It’s about her report last night.

“What did I ever tell you about causing trouble to the police?”

“I just..”

“You are such a troublemaker…” Hyomin thought it was the start of a whole morning full of scolding but... “But you bring in high ratings.” Hyomin looked at her boss. “Last night was the highest rating we had. Again, you broke your own record.”

“So you’re not mad at me?”

“Why would I? Our lines have been busy all night long after your report. Calls, tweets, messages have been coming in ‘to share their own sentiments’. You’re my superstar.”

“Thanks.” Hyomin was glad to hear that even if it was coming from ‘the bear’.

“Hyomin, I call you here because I want you..." Her boss throw the newspaper at the desk. "...to cover the Ham Eunjung trial.”

“Really?”

“You’ve earned it. The public already rely on you about every information on this case. Now go.”

It was music to Hyomin’s ears. It’s the biggest story ever and ‘the bear’ had asked her to cover it.

“What does he want?” Her colleague asked her as she sat back on her desk.

“He wants me to cover the Ham trial.” Hyomin said with a big smile on her face.

“Congratulations!” Her colleagues went to congratulate her.

--

“Today is the arraignment. They will read the charges against you. And we will enter a plea.”

“Why are you telling me this?”

“I need you to be honest with me.”

“I already told you everything.”

“I need to know that you are with me on this.”

“I need to know that you are with me on this.” Eunjung repeated Qri’s statement.

Qri met with her client before going to the arraignment. Though she is dissatisfied with her meeting, they still have to be ready before the court. And this is the day that she and her client will be in front of the public. She knew that after today, it will be more hectic and chaotic for her.

The court was full with the media and people who came to watch the whole trial. There were murmurs everywhere. The judge went in and everyone became quiet.

“People of the State vs Ham Eunjung. Charge by second degree murder of Patrick Kwang Min Hyuk.” 

“The defendant pleads not guilty, Your Honor”

There protests coming from the people inside the court.

“Order in the court.” Said the judge.

“The trial will start in 5 days.”

--

After Park Hyomin’s report, many have voiced out their sentiments and complaints with the Chief’s decision to assign a ‘newbie’ on the high profile case. And because of the recent arraignment where Ham Eunjung’s team has entered a not guilty plea, people have been more vocal f their dissatisfaction and even blaming the police force. Because of the pressure building up, the Chief was forced to voice out his side on why he made such decision. Obviously, it was too much headache in the police force.

“Detective Park Jiyeon graduated in high honors in the Police Academy. Indeed she is fresh from the academy but her credentials have earned her the spot in the police force. I did assign her, together with her senior partner Detective Cha Seung Wong, in Patrick Kwang’s case. In four months of investigation, evidences have all pointed to Ham Eunjung as the suspect for the murder of Patrick Kwang. With the police looking in this case for four months, I believe that a set of fresh eyes will be helpful to look at angles we might have missed. That is why I have assigned Detective Park Jiyeon and Detective Cha Seung Wong on this case. I will not be taking any questions. Thank you very much.” The Chief of Police went back inside of the station after his speech.

--

“I’ll get one cheeseburger sandwich with coke and fries.”

“Make that two.”

“Two cheeseburger sandwich with coke and fries.” The waiter confirmed the order before walking to the kitchen.

“I didn’t know you like kid’s meal.”

The person sat beside Jiyeon who was seating at the diner counter. Jiyeon looked around and there are more empty tables. “You need anything?” She said showing a hint of irritation.

“Well, we’ll be seeing each other more often so I thought we can be friends.”

“You got to be kidding me.”

“I’m serious.”

“When will you ever get off our back and let us do our job?”

“Like you I’m just doing my job. Nothing personal.”

“I cannot believe you.” Jiyeon said and stood up. She cannot stand talking to that girl more so having lunch with her. She couldn’t believe how a person can be charming and dependable in front of the camera yet a whole lot different in person.

“I thought you were having lunch?” One of her colleague asked when Jiyeon returned to her desk. Jiyeon didn’t reply anything. If it wasn’t because of that reporter, she wouldn’t be starving right now.

“You forgot your lunch.” Jiyeon was shock to see Park Hyomin hand her lunch to her.

Hyomin turn around and walk out with a smile on her face. She knew that the whole police station saw what had just happened and she can hear all the teasing the guys are giving the new detective.