Chapter 1

Because I Know

if anything doesn't make sense or seems illogical, please just let it go.. hehe :D

 

--

“Ham Eunjung, you are under arrest for the murder of Patrick Kwang Min Hyuk (don’t know if such name exist but I hope none). You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say or do may be used against you in court law…” The police officer read her rights as he put the handcuffs on the suspect, Ham Eunjung.

There were lights and cameras everywhere trying to capture the face of the suspect. It was definitely the talk of the town. The police are everywhere making sure to secure the whole area.

Slap!

Out of nowhere, a lady went straight to the scene and put a hard slapped on the suspects face crying, “How could you?!” The suspect had her face down not daring to look at the woman who attacked her.

“She shouldn’t be here. Get her out of here.” The police who was holding the suspect said to his fellow policemen. They went to get a hold of the lady who was struggling to get out of the hold of four men. They put the suspect inside the police car and drive to the police station.

--

“Today, the police had arrested Ham Eunjung at 6:45pm at her residence. The star witness who turned out to be the prime suspect in the murder of Patrick Kwang Min Hyuk. Patrick Kwang who is the son of the beloved Mayor Kwang Jun Soo. Four month ago, Ham Eunjung was treated as the star witness in Patrick’s death. And what a twist of events as Ham Eunjung turn out to be the prime suspect on killing her friend, Patrick Kwang.”

The reporter paused and gave a cue to her colleague to play a video where Eunjung was attacked by a woman.

“In the video we can see Madam Kwang, the victim’s mother walked inside the scene and slapped the suspect. It is a mother’s grief and feeling of betrayal because she lost her son from the hands of the person they trusted. And yet again, the police failed to react fast and letting the grieving lady near the suspect just like how slow they have been acting on this case. This is reporter Park Hyomin for Tonght’s News.”

“Ugh!” One of the detectives turns off the tv. “When will she ever get off our back? Everytime this Park Hyomin makes us the bad guys or that we are not doing our job.” The new detective looks at her senior or new partner. The senior detective just look at his new partner and said, “Kid, if there is one advice I can give you on your first day, it’s to avoid that woman, Park Hyomin. She’ll feed off information from you without you knowing.”

The new detective just looks at her senior. “How could that be? She looks like a good person and the public adores her.”

“You don’t believe me? Ask around.” He then looked around the police station.

“Yes, stay away from her. You shouldn’t fall into her trap just like this guy over here.” One of the detectives said.

“Yah! Look who is talking. I wasn’t the one who spilled the whole case.”

“Kid, just don’t trust reporters. Yes, the public loves them but they put our job in jeopardy.”

“Park Jiyeon! Come to my office now.”

“Uh oh looks like the new kid is in trouble on her first day.”

“Don’t worry I got your back, kid.” The senior detective said to his partner while patting her back.

--

Lee Jihyun was walking to her office. She is late. It was because she was up all night drinking and having a good time with her friends. Still hung over but she has to report to work today or else her boss will give her a lot of scolding.

She enters her office and everything was quiet. It’s a sign that her boss is already inside the office. Why of all day does her boss have to be early today? She sat to her desk and counted 1, 2, 3. “Lee Jihyun, my office now.”

She looked at her colleagues who gave a shrug. Heavily, she went to her boss’ office and greeted, “Morning.”

“Have a seat.”  

“Look, about today. I’m…”

“Do you know about Patrick Kwang’s case?” Her boss cut her off.

Relief that her boss called her to talk about a case and not because of her tardiness, she answered “Yes. It was all over the news last night. They caught Ham Eunjung as the prime suspect.”

“Good, you are familiar with the case then. You are going to represent Ham Eunjung.”

“What?!”

“You heard me.”

“Tiffany! Are you serious? I just finished the Han case! And you’re throwing me another hard case?”

“I’m sorry Qri.”

“She is the most hated person right now. She’s the prime suspect to the beloved Patrick Kwang’s murder! And you want our firm to represent her?”

“You think I like this idea?” Tiffany raised her arm. “I don’t! The city council must have hated me or something. Of all the law firms in the city, she chose ours!”

“Can’t we decline?”

“We cannot. Each year we give off pro bono cases. And my guess is since no lawyer wanted to take up the case, it’s thrown to us.”

Qri drew a deep breathe. “Why me?”

“You’re my best lawyer.”

“Sigh. I hate you right now. And you promised me a week off after the Han case…”

“I’ll give you a week off after this. All expense paid.”

“A month.”

“Two weeks.”

“She’s the most hated person right now. Plus cameras will be everywhere.”

“Fine. A month. Only if you win this case.”

Qri smirk. “I’m your best lawyer. I never lost a case.”

--

“Why did you kill Patrick Kwang?”

“Aren’t you friends with him?”

“You were last seen with Patrick Kwang the night of his murder. What happened that night?”

The detectives have been interrogating the suspect since last night but they get no answer.

The chief of police had assigned them to interrogate the suspect. It was a big day for her given that it’s her first day. Her partner, Cha Seung Wong is a well experienced and respected detective. Park Jiyeon watches as the senior detective asked questions all day and failed to get an answer or even a reaction from the Ham Eunjung. The suspect just keeps looking down the table.

“Eunjung ssi, I suggest you answer our questions. If you cooperate with us, it will be helpful for your case.” Jiyeon spoke. ! Jiyeon slap herself mentally. She should have spoken with more authority. She look at her partner apologetically. But…

But she didn’t fail at all. Eunjung look at her. It was the first reaction they got from the suspect. She looked at the new detective. Ham Eunjung was about to start talking. “I…” she started. Both detectives look at each other as the suspect will start talking when someone barge inside the interrogation room.

“We are in the middle of the interrogation. No one is allowed inside.” Detective Cha said sternly obviously irritated because of the intruder.

“I am Lee Jihyun. And I will be representing Ham Eunjung.” said the intruder. She then look at her client and said, “You don’t have to answer them now.”

--

“I am here in front of the police station where Ham Eunjung is being questioned. It has been about 24 hours since the suspect has been captured but the police are still unable to get a confession. We heard that Ham Eunjung has got herself a lawyer to represent her. I personally think that because of this turn of events, the case will be dragged to we don’t know how long. It took four months before the police had caught the suspect. We just hope that the family of the victim will find justice and peace. Again this is Park Hyomin for Tonight’s News.”

Jiyeon turn off the tv. It was the most talked about case. People are watching for every update on the case, adding burden to the police force. She thought Eunjung was going to confess but that lawyer has to arrive at that very moment. Now the case is going to be dragged like what Park Hyomin said. Right, there is also Park Hyomin, the reporter who keeps criticizing the police.