Chapter 31

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

Chapter 31

 

Kris took off his shoes and with slumped shoulders he dragged his feet to the bedroom. When he entered, his eyes were greeted by darkness. Yet, he smiled knowing Yeojin had fallen asleep.

He had been coming home late for three days now. The first day in the week he came home late, he was surprised to find Yeojin fast asleep despite the rain outside. Kris was just grateful the plush worked to ease her.

He sat down on the bed as he loosened his tie and the bedside lamp. ing his sleeves, he briefly glanced back at the sleeping Yeojin and a sigh escaped his lips. He kept on being reminded of Suho's words earlier.

"Our man told me he often saw a car around Yeojin's school."

"A car?" Kris raised his brow. "So?"

"It's tailing Yeojin, Kris." Suho looked concerned. "He can't confirmed whether the guy is Park Changsun's detective or not, but whoever he is, he wants something from Yeojin. He may be harmless, but we don't know that." Kris knitted his brows at that. "You gotta protect her either way," Suho suggested seriously.

Kris fully turned toward Yeojin. Seeing how she was hugging the plush, he thought that she looked just like the little girl who was always on his tail back then. To him, right at this moment, she looked like that girl he had always protected like his own little sister.

He carefully her hair and sighed. "Look what you've gotten yourself into by marrying me, Jin."


 

"If you don't know where to run to, then I won't be far."

Yeojin couldn't get those words out of her mind. She had been thinking of them for the past few days. And the memory of that accidental kiss- or peck on the lips as she would prefer- wasn't helping at all. Going to school had never been this nerve-wrecking before. She had been avoiding Sehun at all cost these past few days. When she had no choice but to be met by him during lunch, it was awkward. Or at least, it was so on her side.

"Your cereal isn't going to finish itself if you don't put it in your mouth, Jin."

Kris' voice cut her train of thought. Yeojin looked down and realized that she had been playing with her bowl of cereal.

"You seemed off lately," Kris noted as he drank his coffee. "Something bothering you?"

"N-no." She put a spoon of cereal in . How she wished she could just stuff her face in the bowl and disappear.

"You do know that we're friends again, right?" Kris cocked an eyebrow. Yeojin looked taken aback, but she silently nodded. "I'm all ears if you ever need to let your thoughts out, kay?"

"Yeah. Sure." Yeojin tried to smile. But how am I supposed to tell you that I just accidentally got pecked on the lips by someone else? She now really wished she could just disappear.

Kris cleared his throat. "Boyfriend problem?" He asked, looking down at his cup of coffee.

Yeojin's eyes almost popped out of their sockets. "N-NO!" It unintentionally came out as a shout which startled Kris. "I mean," she cleared and spoke softly this time, "no." It suddenly became awkward. She then checked her watch and her eyes widened in surprise. "Oh no! I'm gonna be late." She quickly grabbed her bag. "Bye, Kris!"

"You haven't even finished your breakfast!" Kris hollered as she dashed out of the kitchen and waved her hand.

__________

Kris heaved out a deep sigh and massaged his temple. Suho just told him that the board of directors apparently held an "urgent" meeting while he was gone to China a week ago. But the problem was Suho, who was supposed to be part of the board, wasn't even invited. Suho would let it slide if he was abroad too, but he was in town when it all happened. Moreover, Kris as the chairman wasn't even notified of the meeting or the minutes of meeting.

The board brought the hotel issue to light. Some argued that Suho was incapable of his position and wanted Chanyeol to replace him, based on how well the latter had been doing. These same men also began to question Kris' capability on choosing his men and on leading the company. They said that although he's the rightful inheritor, he still lacked experience and still too young, being only about 22 years old. They wanted Park Changsun to be the chairman instead.

However, most of the board members were on Kris' side. They countered that although Kris was still young, he was brought up differently compared to others of his age. His father had trained him since he was high school and Kris had even worked as an intern in the company. He didn't suddenly become a chairman. He had went through the process though it was sped up due to his father's health and later death. In short, he had a different upbringing from others his age. The ones on Kris' side also argued that having Kris as the chairman was actually the factor that attracted more investors. Having a Wu leading the Wu company, of course, strengthened the investors' trust.

"And what did Park Changsun say?" Kris asked Suho who was sitting across him.

"Surprisingly, he's on your side. He defended you. Although, I suspect it's all just an act."

"And how did you know about all this?" Kris stood up to face the view of the city behind his desk. He buried his hands inside the pockets of his pants.

"Mr. Choi secretly came to me. He's on your side. He told me most are still on your side, but the ones on the Vice's side aren't being subtle either. They want me replaced. They want you demoted too. Honestly, I don't think they came up with that idea on their own. Someone must've fed them with it indirectly."

"You mean Park Changsun did?" Kris pivoted his head toward Suho.

"Maybe." Suho shrugged.

Kris sat back down on his chair with a groan. "Should I just fire him then?"

"Oh how I wish you can." Suho smirked. "And you can, but that would just enraged the ones on his sides. You could care less and fire them too, but what about the investors? It wouldn't be good for our image. And plus," Suho pinched the bridge of his nose, "it would look like you're just crazy for power by firing the more experienced Vice who's 'supporting' you."

Kris threw his head back in frustration and forced a chuckle. "I should't have dated his daughter back then!"

"Park Yoora?" Suho arched a brow. "No, you shouldn't have hurt her by kissing Yeojin while still being her boyfriend." Kris glared at his best friend for bringing it up. "What?" Suho gave him an innocent look. "You could've ended things quietly with her if it weren't for that."

"Do you have to bring that up?" Kris ran a hand on his face.

"On second thought, you're right. You shouldn't have dated her. In fact, you shouldn't have dated any other girls just to bury your real feelings for Yeojin. And you did that why? Just because you think she was too young for you."

"God dammit, Suho!" Kris slammed a hand on the table. "She was only in junior high. She is younger than me. And whatever I had was not real feelings!"

Suho scoffed to the side. "And yet you kissed her." The statement silenced Kris. "You dated girls, but always ditched them whenever Yeojin needed help. You could even care less about missing dates with them as long as you made it to your appointment with Yeojin. You almost lost your mind when Baekhyun suddenly came into her life. Tell me," Suho leaned forward, "how are those not real?"

Feeling so done with the conversation, Kris turned his chair around on his friend. He heard a sigh escaped his friend's lips.

"Look, I know how important your friendship is with her, but- come on! You never wanted it to only be a friendship, Kris. Okay, she's still in high school now. But at least, you should start sorting out your own feeling, Kris. You don't love her in that way?" Suho scoffed to the side. "Bull crap! Even her relationship with that Sehun guy must be threatening you right now."

"Their relationship isn't real," Kris retorted, still not turning around.

"Oh, is it?" Suho rolled his eyes.

Though Kris stayed silent, that simple question ticked him. He thought back of Yeojin's reaction this morning, and if he read her right, there was something going on between her and Sehun.

He then checked his watch and slowly turned his chair back around, facing Suho. "How did our business conversation turn into an argument on my love life?" Kris gave out a lopsided smile which Suho returned with a similar one.

"You tell me." Suho mused.

Kris then stood up and tidied up his desk. "I gotta go now."

"Where?"

"Picking up Yeojin," Kris replied before he could stop himself from blurting it out. He briefly squeezed his eyes, mentally scolding himself while Suho laughed. "Not what you're thinking." He pointed at his friend before walking past him.

"Yeah, yeah." Suho waved a hand dismissively as he stood up from his seat. "Keep on denying. Your mouth says no, but your actions say yes."

"Whatever!"


 

Yeojin almost cursed Kris when she got into his car. She was too shocked when she saw his car parked outside the school premise. When she asked him where they are going, he only said he's bringing her somewhere. She just wished it wasn't Sokcho again because it's way too far to go back and forth, and she certainly didn't want to stay there over night. She was glad when she found herself inside the mall instead.

"What's with the caps though?" She adjusted the cap Kris had told her to put on as they walked past stores. "And your glasses too."

"Can't risk letting the world know you're my wife yet now, right?" Kris lowered his own cap a bit. He decided to leave out the fact that someone might be following them around to spare her of any worries.

"But we've been going out together lately." Yeojin knitted her brows.

Kris sighed. "Do you have to talk back every single time?"

"You're not telling me something," she pointed out. "But whatever. Why are you bringing me here? I'm supposed to have private lessons again." She decided to change the topic because she knew Kris wouldn't tell what he didn't want to tell.

"Don't worry about the lessons, I've told Mom I'm taking you out. You seemed off lately," he reasoned and turned to look at her. "And I'm paying for the times we've lost." He gave a small smile.

Something about his smile took her off guard, but she managed to smile back.

Kris dragged her to stores and told her to buy whatever she needed. Not used to being spoiled or pampered, Yeojin hesitated a lot. Thus, Kris had to help her choose clothes, school supplies, and other things for her. Then, it was Yeojin's turn to drag him to the arcade. He was reluctant at first, but ended up playing along with her.

By the time they got inside the car to head back home, Yeojin had forgotten her concerns and was smiling a lot. Kris smiled along, knowing he had done the right thing.
 

 

Saturday came by quickly. Yeojin was still bugged by the unanswered question of her own feeling, but she had learned to push it aside. She felt guilty for pushing Sehun away, especially knowing he had been trying to approach her.

"Up for some movie night?" Kris asked as he opened the door to the house for her.

"Sure!" Yeojin grinned. "After I change."

They just came back from hanging out at the mall again and having dinner at a nearby restaurant. Going out with Kris a lot was actually one of the reasons why Yeojin could keep the thoughts of Sehun aside for now. Her relationship with Kris was getting better and she didn't want it to be ruined. 

After taking a quick shower, Yeojin pulled on a jumper and a pair of sweatpants. She then went out of the bedroom, excited for the movie night. When she entered the living room Kris was crouching down in front of the DVD player. A bowl of chips was on the coffee table along with some cans of carbonated drinks.

"So what are we watching?" Yeojin plopped down on the couch, tying her hair in a bun.

"Avengers." Kris inserted the disk to the player.

"Oh my gosh! Yes!" Yeojin rejoiced as she took the bowl of chips and put in between her crossed legs.

Kris let out a chuckle as he sat down beside her. "You're that happy?"

"Are you kidding me?" She looked aghast as if he just offended her. "Chris Hemsworth is in it! Happy is an understatement. Oh! Tom Hiddleston is pretty cute too!" She giggled.

"Isn't he the bad guy here?"

"He's pretty hot still." Yeojin shrugged, turning her attention to the starting movie.

"So in short, you like overly dressed aliens with long hair."

Yeojin gasped. "They are not just aliens with long hair. They're not exactly aliens either. Their gods. Good-looking gods. And Chris' accent is life!"

"Still aliens to me," Kris mumbled, turning his attention to the movie too.

As the movie went on, they finished their chips and Yeojin made herself comfortable by leaning her head on Kris' shoulder just like old times. She would recite some of the dialogues at times and would also, to Kris' dismay, squeal every time Thor- or even Loki- appeared. Somewhere along the movie, Yeojin settled with laying her head on the arm rest and her legs on Kris' lap.

It was getting to the scene where the Avengers finally realized their need to unite when thunder suddenly clapped outside. Yeojin jolted to sit upright and she scooted close to Kris.

Kris smirked at her. "I thought you like that blonde god of thunder," he teased.

"Oh shut up!" She slapped his arm but then held on to it, resting her head on his shoulder.

Kris' lips curled into a small smile. "You've been doing pretty good without me for few nights."

"Yeah. That's thanks to Beavie," she replied with eyes glued on the TV.

"Beavie?" Kris raised a brow.

"Oh!" She tilted her head up to look at him with a little giggle. "I meant the plush." She smiled and looked back at the TV when Thor was picking up his hammer. "Actually your singing voice plays a bigger part, so thanks." Thunder clapped right at that moment and she jumped on her seat again. "I'm getting better, but I still hate the rain!" She held his arm tighter.

"You're still affected by it, I see."

"Of course," she mumbled.

"Haven't you seen psychologist?"

"I did. It didn't really work though. I mean it worked when it wasn't raining. But when it rains, only Mom's hug- or yours or Beavie's now- can ease me. The psychologist did suggest me to remember good memories that might have taken place when it rains, but I couldn't think of one. That memory when Dad," she gulped, "and Baek--" she closed her eyes with a sigh, "that was the only memory ingrained in me."

There was a little prick on Kris' heart when she said it. "You don't remember any good memory that happen during rain?" His eyebrows shot up.

"Not that I can think of on the top of my head, no." She slightly shook her head still leaning on Kris's shoulder.

"I see..." He nodded. "That wasn't something memorable to you then," he softly mumbled to himself with a scoff. Or maybe it wasn't a good memory to her.

Yeojin frowned and sat upright, looking at him. "What did you say?"

"Nothing. Go back watching."

"You clearly have a specific memory in mind. What is it?" She pouted. "Oh come on, Kris! Just tell me. It might help drive out the horrible memory. What is it? Did we do something during rainy season when we were kids?" Her eyes suddenly twinkled as she shook his arm. "Did we? Did we? Did we run around outside when it rained or something? Come on, remind me!" She pouted.

Kris blinked several times at her sudden outburst of excitement. His eyes then landed on her jutting lower lip, and he felt the room temperature suddenly rising. He looked away and cleared his throat. "It's nothing. Go back watching." He pointed to the TV screen.

But Yeojin was having none of it. When the sky rumbled, she flinched again and she held onto his arm again. "You want me to get a panic attack when it rains for the rest of my life?"

Damn it! Kris mentally cursed when he looked down and found her pouting at him again. Why does she have to do that with her lip?

Yeojin frowned seeing Kris only blankly stared at her. "Kris. I'm serious."

"Trust me." He looked away. "We better leave it behind. You don't want to remember it."

"Oh for goodness sake!" Yeojin rolled her eyes, letting go of his arm. "Just tell me and I'll decide whether it's worth remembering or not." Yeojin looked at him in the eyes. She was dead serious about wanting to know.

Defeated, Kris sighed. "Fine." He gulped. "I...just thought that... maybe you would remember that time when we..." He avoided her eyes. "Back when I was in high school, I..." He his lips, unsure whether to continue or not. "We..." His eyes landed on her rounded ones that were prodding him to continue. "We..."

Yeojin's brows slowly dropped, confused of his stuttering. "We did what, Kris?"

He groaned. "You really don't remember?" Seriously! Do I have to retell this?

Yeojin only blinked, getting even more confused. She shook her head.

"We..."

"We what?!" She saw his adam's apple bobbing up and down as he gulped before he softly cussed to the side. And then, her sight suddenly turned dark as she squeezed her eyes shut.

Kris's mind kept on shouting at him to pull away, but one press of his lips on hers and his head suddenly felt light. He was supposed to just give her a short reminder, but just the feeling of her lips on his threw him back to that day he kissed her. It all felt too familiar. He could hear his heart beating fast and he squeezed his eyes shut. He wanted to pull away, but at the same time he didn't really want to. Her lips tasted salty from the chips she ate earlier, but at the same time they tasted sweet on his lips just like four years ago.

The sounds of explosions from the movie and rain outside were slowly drowned in their ears. Their ears tuned out any other noise and could only register the sounds of their breathing and their own heartbeats.

Yeojin didn't dare to open her eyes. She didn't dare to move even an inch. She could only grabbed a fistful of his shirt as she felt his thumb lightly caressed her cheek while his other four fingers slipped under her ear. Yet, Yeojin wasn't sure whether to push or pull him. Now she remembered what memory he was talking about. It was the memory she buried deep in her mind and deemed as only an accident. But was it even an accident? She wanted to know. Was this kiss this time an accident too? She wanted to know again now.

Kris briefly pulled away a little bit and her lips slightly parted for air, but she soon felt his lips on hers again as he tilted his head to the side.

This time, he wasn't just merely pressing his lips on hers. Her lip was caught in between his and his in between hers. She could feel his lips slowly moving against hers, but her lips remained unmoving. She squeezed her eyes tighter and gripped his shirt in her hand harder. Her mind kept on telling her to push him away the way she should've done four years ago. Yet, she didn't understand why her heart felt it heavy to do so. She failed to push him away again. Maybe it was how gentle Kris was holding her head and how gentle his lips moved against hers as if he was afraid her lips would break. Or maybe, she reasoned, it was because there was no more Park Yoora now. That he is her husband.

Kris could feel her unmoving lips and he slowly came back to his senses. He wanted to stop, and he knew he had to stop. She doesn't want this! Pull away, Kris!

He knew this was just so wrong, but her lips suddenly moved. She was kissing him back. She slowly tilted her head to the side and he slowly lost his mind again.

This isn't happening. This isn't happening. This isn't happening! Kris chanted in his mind, but reason flew out of his mind when her grip on his shirt slowly loosened and her hand traveled up to his neck to deepen the kiss.


 

I'm being such a tease again, aren't I? You don't know how many times I had to just take a break writing this chapter because my heart was beating so fast. Anyway, I want to apologize to Hunjin shippers for this chapter because I know there are a lot of you guys here. Sorry, but the chapters gotta roll haha And evryone, Hunjin and KrsJin/ YeoRis shippers, it's not the end of the story until it is :D

And lol sorry, I'm still having a Civil War hangover, hence the Avengers. Btw, Yeojin liking Chris is an intended pun ;) Okay, that was a bad pun. I love Chris Hemsworth, but Thor's actually not my favorite. Loki is! Mwahaha