Chapter 29

ICE: Thaw the Frozen Heart [EDITING]

Chapter 29

 

"Hey, wake up." Kris gently shook her shoulder.

Yeojin stirred on her seat and stretched her arms and legs. She let out a little yawn as her eyes slowly fluttered open. She rubbed her squinted eyes and let out a content sigh.

She couldn't remember the last time she cried hard like yesterday since she had always thought that it was better to hold in all the sadness. But after yesterday, Yeojin felt relieved. She could even fall asleep easily while she usually had a hard time doing so on her birthday. For that, she was thankful to Kris. When he told her they should go home after her crying session, she thought he meant the mansion. But he was thoughtful enough to go to their own house instead. She didn't want to meet the family with puffy eyes, and she had that weird longing to be with only Kris for the day. It felt weird, though, that he referred to their house as their home.

"Come on. Let's get something to eat." Kris unbuckled his seatbelt and alighted the car.

Yeojin followed after some more stretching. She let out another yawn as she alighted the car.

"You're still sleepy?" He asked as they walked toward the food court at the rest area.

"You woke me up at 5," she deadpanned and he smirked.

Yeojin didn't know what he was up to when he woke her up from her pleasant sleep at 5 in the morning. He just told her to take a quick shower. She complained at first, but Kris threatened to carry her to the bathroom and wash her himself if she didn't get up on the count of three. Her eyes immediately shot opened just when he started counting, and she ran to the bathroom without anymore retort. Yeojin still felt sleepy when they walked to the garage. She wanted to ask where they were going so early in the morning but was too sleepy to even ask. She fell asleep again once she made herself comfortable on her seat.

Even now, she still felt a little bit like a zombie as she walked behind Kris, trying to hold back another yawn. But the weather was pretty nice and she felt somewhat refreshed.
 

"Sokcho?!" Yeojin's eyes were almost popping out of their sockets.

"That's what I just said," Kris nonchalantly replied, taking some of her fried goguma, as they walked back to the car.

"Why?" Yeojin stopped in her steps. The memory of the last time they were there was still fresh in her mind. Her cheeks were suddenly hot, probably red- she assumed- because she could feel blood rushing to her cheeks.

"You'll see." Kris answered with a proud smirk.

Somehow his tone only made Yeojin blushed even more at a thought she quickly dismissed.

He belatedly realized that she was stopping and turned back around. "Why are you standing there?" He arched an eyebrow. He saw her reddened cheeks and only then it dawned on him that his words could have meant something else. Especially knowing what happened in Sokcho before. He felt his own cheeks burning as he swallowed. "I-I'm not going to do anything to you. If that's what you're thinking." He cleared his throat and Yeojin started trotting after him.

"I-I-I wasn't thinking you would do anything to me," she stuttered as she walked past him toward the car.

The ride continued with silence. It was an awkward silence at first, but it soon turned into a comfortable one when Kris decided to turn on the radio.

"Hey, do you have tissue?" Yeojin asked after finishing her fried goguma.

"Yeah, in the console." He nodded his head toward the compartment between their seats.

She opened the compartment and took out the tissue. She paused when she did a double take at what she saw in the compartment. Her lips parted and she just blinked at the small object she thought had been thrown away. It was a gold ring. A wedding ring. His wedding ring.

From the corner of his eyes, Kris could see her staying frozen. "What?" He asked confused. He took a quick glanced at what she was looking at. "Why are you so surprised?" He closed the compartment, snapping her out of her daze.

"I thought you threw it away." She leaned back on her seat and wiped the grease on her fingers with the tissue.

He snorted. "Why would I?" A smirk ghosted on his lips.

Yeojin knitted her brows. "Why wouldn't you?" She retorted.

"I may not like our marriage, but I'm not senseless," he reasoned and Yeojin held back a scoff. "We need to wear the rings once we publicly announce this marriage." He left out the reason that he kept it also to wear it at certain occasions when he knew some people would offer their daughters to him.

"Oh." Of course!

Kris briefly glanced down at her hand before looking back at the road. "You haven't been wearing yours for quiet awhile," he noted.

Yeojin looked down at her fingers and pursed her lips. "Yeah. I keep it in my bag though."

The awkward silence arrived again. Few months ago, Kris would like her silence. But not anymore now. He mulled over what to say to break it. He then remembered something.

"By the way." He cleared his throat, gaining her attention. "Can you get that plastic bag on the back seat."

Yeojin twisted her limb and extended an arm to take the large plastic bag, she just noticed now, on the back seat. "This one?" She brought it to her lap and peek inside.

"That's for you." The way he said it was as if he was prodding her to take out whatever was inside.

"For me?" She blinked surprised and reached inside the plastic bag. Her eyes were rounded in another surprise when she took out a very large blue beaver plushie with long legs and long arms. "Whoa! What is this?" The plushie was big enough to hide her. She was sure it might even be taller than her if she made it stand.

"Birthday present." He shrugged.

"Ow...kay? But why is this so big?"

"To accompany you if I'm not around when it rains." Yeojin was too stunned to say anything while Kris continued, "You can't rely on the family or me forever."

"So I gotta rely on this plush instead," she stated rather than asked. "And pretend this is you."

Kris couldn't hold back a snort. "You said you just need to know that you're not alone when it rains."

"This isn't a living thing though." Yeojin pouted as she stared at the beaver's face.

He groaned at her lack of enthusiasm. "If you don't want it-"

"I didn't say I don't want it." She hugged the plush and Kris smirked. "Besides, on second thought, this beaver does look like you."

"Ya!" Yifan protested with click of his tongue. "It looks more like you! Because beavers have chubby cheeks and are short. Just like you."

"Yeah, yeah. Whatever." She rolled her eyes. A smile slowly crept on her lips as she looked down on the big plush. She took the plush's hand and saw a red dot with the writing 'PRESS ME' on it. "What's this?"

Kris eyes rounded when he saw her going to press it. "Wait don't press it!" He grabbed the plush's hand while his other hand was still on the steering wheel.

"Why?" She frowned.

"Just... don't do it yet. Not when I'm around."

Yeojin's frowned only deepened but she complied. "Tsk. Fine." Only when she said it did Kris let the plush's hand go. "Thanks anyway." She gave him a smile.

To her surprise, he smiled back. There was just something familiar with his smile that made it hard for her not to feel happy for the rest of the ride.

More than an hour passed and the city of Sokcho loomed into view.

"I'm sorry," he suddenly said when she was gazing at the sea coming into view at a distance.

Yeojin tore her gaze away from the window and looked at him with knitted brows. "For what?"

"Everything." That only got her even more confused. Ever since he knew what actually happened and saw how she cried yesterday, Kris had been feeling guilty. "I'm sorry for treating you they way I've been for years."

Yeojin just silently stared at him. She was too stunned to react, but there was this surge of relief bubbling inside her.

"I'm sorry." This time he took a brief glance at her. They were only brief seconds, but Yeojin could see the sincerity in his eyes. "I've... I ruined our friendship-"

"I did too," Yeojin quickly interrupted, letting go the breath she didn't realize she was holding. She then hugged the plush tighter and ducked her head to hide a growing smile on her lips. The conversation felt familiar.

Kris and Yeojin used to do this back then. If either of them did something wrong, they would gave each other the silent treatment. But they would never be able to stay silent toward each other for far too long, so they would end up blaming themselves and arguing that they are more wrong than the other.

Kris paused before he let out a scoff. A corner of his lips curled up a bit. "Just like old times." He shook his head, letting out a chuckle.

Yeojin chuckled along. They need not say any more words to know that they were patching up their friendship. This was a new start to their friendship.
 

Kris groaned at her request.

"Oh come on!" Yeojin let out a frustrated breath and pushed the dish to his hands again. "Just for once!" She pouted like a little girl.

Kris sighed defeated. "Make it quick!" He hold the plate and raised it close to his chin.

Yeojin readied herself to take a picture of him, but then she pouted. "Smile a little will you?"

Kris rolled his eyes and mentally groaned. He just apologized a few hours ago and now she was already ordering him around like she used too. It was as if those two years of gap between them were nonexistent.

He stiffly smiled. His eyes looked bored and annoyed as ever. Yeojin counted down and snapped the picture of him with her phone. She grinned, seeing the result.

"Now can I eat?" He sighed, putting down the plate of sundae on the table and Yeojin nodded with a giggle.

"You two are such lovely siblings!" The same ahjumma they met weeks ago commented.

Yeojin just grinned at the comment.

"I'm her husband," Kris replied instead as he took a bite of the sundae.

"Ya!" Yeojin smacked his thigh and he flinched.

"Why?" He stared at her glaring eyes with his rounded ones. "That's the truth." He shrugged.

"Oh! Really? Wow! You both are very young though!" The Ahjumma giggled.

"He's just joking, Ahjumma," Yeojin reasoned and Kris silently scoffed beside her.
 

"Thank you!" Yeojin beamed and waved at the Ahjumma while Kris only bobbed his head.

As they walked away from the sundae stall, Yeojin's phone rang. She took it out from her sling bag and was surprised to see the caller ID.

Ice Block 2

Kris read the name too. He saw her finger hovering over the answer button and he quickly snatched it from her.

"Hey!" Yeojin protested as he pressed the end call button. He then the airplane mode. "What are you doing?"

Kris just silently took out his phone and his airplane mode too, showing it to her. "No phone calls, text messages or whatnot for today." He handed her back the phone.

"Why?" She frowned, still wanting to protest. Honestly, she wanted to pick up Sehun's call. She didn't know what he wanted to say, but she wanted to apologize for leaving him like that yesterday, especially knowing he actually meant well.

A smirk grazed Kris' face. "Because it's our reconciliation day."

The frown on Yeojin's face immediately dispersed into a surprised look. But she couldn't protest to that. She didn't want to protest to that. A smile broke out on her face.

"Come on!" Kris jerked his head for her to follow him. "We still have time to do a lot here."

Yeojin willingly complied and followed him. They walked around the market stopping by at some food stalls for snacks every now and then. Yeojin laughed at how Kris crinkled his nose when they passed the fish market. The look on his face was too funny that Yeojin just had to snap a picture of it. Kris, of course, complained about it and asked her to delete the picture. But Yeojin refused, sticking out her tongue at him. He ended up chasing her down the street.

His legs are longer and he could run fast, but he realized that she had indeed became faster than she was when they were kids. He never got a chance to watch her compete on the running track, but now he knew why she won those medals she used to brag about to him.

Kris finally gave up chasing her. "Ya! Stop!" He called out to her as he slowed down to a walk.

Yeojin eventually stopped and approached the panting Kris. "Not so fast anymore, huh?" She teased as she patted his shoulder.

Kris swatted her hand away. "Whatever."

Yeojin chuckled and they fell into steps, walking side by side. They strolled around the suburban streets of Sokcho, passing numerous houses. They stopped by at some spots for Yeojin to take pictures. Even though Kris refused several times, Yeojin still adamantly told him to just stand and let her take pictures of him. She was even able to force him take selcas with her.

Kris groaned and mentally complained for reconciling with her. He forgot how pushy she could be. But when he saw her smile, he knew he did the right thing.

As they walked past numerous murals adorning the walls, Yeojin giggled looking through the pictures they had taken. Kris craned his neck to peek at the pictures too. Though he tried hard not to show it, his lips couldn't help but curled into a smile too. He now regretted not reconciling with her sooner. He forgot what it felt like to hangout with her like they used to, but now he remembered. And he wasn't sure if would ever want to let go of this blissful feeling again.

They went home before it got dark. Yeojin immediately passed out once she settled in the car. She hugged the large beaver plush as she was dragged into sleep. A content smile ghosted on her lips.


Yeojin was dragging her feet toward the door while Kris locked the car with a press of the remote key.

"Thanks again for today." Yeojin gave him a tired smile as they walked out of the garage. "Thank you for this too!" She playfully shook the plush she was hugging.

Kris just gave her a lopsided smile as he opened the door to the house and let her in first.

The dark house suddenly turned bright just when she stepped in.

"SURPRISE! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY!"

Yeojin's eyes were rounded at the sight of the family in her house. She was too stunned to react until Jinho stepped closer to her with the cake in his hands.

"Happy birthday, Noona!" He grinned at her.

Kris nudged her to snap her out of daze. She looked at him and he nodded his head toward the boy. She blinked down at her brother before a smile slowly appeared on her face.

"Make a wish, Noona!" Jinho showed her a toothy grin.

Yeojin closed her eyes with giggles. She clasped her hands in front of her chest. She didn't really know what to wish for because her deepest wish to reconcile with Kris had been fulfilled. She now only wished for everyone in her life to be happy.

Yeojin opened her eyes and blew the candles, gaining claps from the family. Her mom then hugged and pecked her cheeks. The rest took turns and they ushered her to the living room where foods were laid out on the coffee table. Kris took the plush from her and disappeared to the bedroom to put their belongings.

Seeing the number of homemade dishes the mothers made, Yeojin's eyes grew wide again. "Wow! You really prepared all this? Thank you!" She couldn't remember the last time she was happy for her birthday, but she was now.

"It was all Kris' idea," Mrs. Wu replied as she passed her a plate.

"Kris?" Yeojin couldn't believe her ears, but everyone nodded.

"We were going to surprise you yesterday, but you went out," her mom explained.

Lin added, "Then, we were planning to do it when you return, but Gege texted me saying we better not do so and that he's bringing you back here."

"Oh," Yeojin smiled to herself.

Kris exited the bedroom and saw everyone already settled down around the coffee table. He sat down between Yeojin and Grandpa.

Just as Kris was sitting down, without much thinking, Yeojin threw her arms around his waist. "Thanks!" She smiled up at him.

Kris was taken aback by her sudden action and his eyes darted around the family members who were obviously trying to hide their laughter. He then looked down at Yeojin again before awkwardly patting her back. "Uh... Y-yeah. Sure." He cleared his throat.

"PDA!" Lin coughed, reminding Yeojin of their presence.

Blushing, Yeojin pulled herself away from Kris. Both her and Kris shifted awkwardly before she regained herself and clapped her hands once. "Let's eat!"

While the others passed around the food, Grandpa chuckled and patted Kris' shoulder. "You did the right thing."

Kris' eyes landed on the girl beside him who had been smiling throughout the day. She looked even brighter than she usually was. Maybe because there was no more cold walls between them that weighed her down.

Then, a satisfied smile curled on his own lips.


So, it's KrisJin/ YeoRis for Kris and Yeojin pairing, and HunJin for Sehun and Yeojin. Haha! Actually, I don't mind if you invent new names for the pairings ^^

Anyway, it's KrisJin moment for this chapter. And yay! They finally reconciled!