You Really Were the Only One...

You Really Were the Only One...

   Youngjae met Mark at a nearly abandoned park. The two bumped into each other, almost toppling over. Mark swiftly caught the new stranger. Youngjae felt his stomach doing flips as he looked at the other's face. They got to know each other through a series of café visits. They soon became bestfriends as they learned more and more about the other. Youngjae learned that Mark is a Taiwanese man at the age of 21, who moved to Seoul from L.A. Youngjae, as Mark learned, is an 18 years old, from Mokpo, and moved to the city to attend his dream school, Seoul Arts High School. They continued to hangout with each other, which lead to Mark's confession to his best friend. The two boys had grown to love each other more than anything else. They were both happy. They eventually move into an apartment together. They spent their time after school and work cuddling or going out on dates. Soon, the young couple were inseparable. Youngjae remebers the time when Mark was visibly upset after a phone call from his parents, who still lived in L.A. The younger of the two asked about the call, to which Mark looked at him with his eyes that were dusted with sadness. Youngjae remembers how Mark's lips formed each word, each syllable very slowly.

 

"My parents need me to move back to L.A... They need help..."

   Youngjae's concerned look was contorted with sorrow. All that squeezed out of his throat was a small, quite 'Oh...' The next two days were spent with the couple tangeled in each other's presence. The last day Youngjae would be able to see Mark, he accompanied him to the airport. Sadness swallowed him up as Mark's departure was nearing. The conversation they had rang clearly in Youngjae's head.

"Youngjae-ah." Mark called outsoftly.

He looked up at Mark, eyes shining.

"If you meet someone else... Just stay happy." The elder smiled.

Youngaje couldn't believe what he heard.

"Just promise to stay happy..." Mark whispered.

'I don't think I'll be happy with anyone but you' Youngjae wanted to reply with, but he couldn't, he just started to cry.

   Over the intercom, Mark's departure was announced. Youngjae wanted to go with Mark...

"Mark, I love you so much..."

"I love you, too, Youngjae." Mark smiled before kissing Youngjae's lips. The kiss was soft and short.

"Don't forget me, Youngjae." Mark called out before turning to leave.

"I never will." Youngjae whispered as he watched Mark's back shrink further into the distance.

 

   Youngjae smells the rain first. Then he feels it trickle down his face as he sits on the same bench he and Mark sat on when they first met. He realizes that it's not just the rain drops.

'You really were the only one I was happy with, Mark...' Youngjae decides before standing up to leave the park.

   He begins his long trek home through the rain thinking of the past few months without Mark. How different everything had become. How lost he feels...

"I will never forget you, Mark..."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

   Thank you so much to those who subscribed to the story and I hope you enjoyed it. Comment if you wanted to say anything. Thank you!

                               ~TaeKookHope