Underneath the Sky

Come Rain or Come Shine

All we need is our lives in a suitcase
They belong to a friend of a friend's
And as we drink to ourselves
We'll amuse ourselves
Underneath the sky
Underneath the sky again
Underneath the sky again

 

Jessica woke up to the sound of an alarm and a chirping bird in her hotel room. She rolled out of her bed and stood up and strecthed while walking towards the direction of the window. She could saw the sun surfaced beautifully in a fluorescent blue sky of Auckland. The entire city was glowing under the sun morning warmth and the dew from last night rain was still plainly visible on all the blades of grass in the hotel's park. Leisurely, she walked towards her phone and noticed that her phone must've lost its' signal since she hasn't got a new sim card. The first thought that she had when she realized her phone was dead was how on earth Taeyeon could contact her if they didn't even exchanged phone number. Immediately she felt somewhat dejected by the scenarios she planted in her head.

'She said she's going to pick me up in the morning. But will she? I mean, I've just met her two days ago, accidentaly. No matter how many hours I've talked to her she's still a stranger and there's a huge possibility she won't show up this morning. If she doesn't show up what I'm going to do then ? I don't know anybody here and worst, I actually don't have plan while I'm here'

Jessica plummeted to the cosy bed again, she rolled up and found a wifi password on her bedside and immediately her brain started to regain its' function. She quickly grabbed her phone and connect her phone to internet connection. Her Kakao messenger started to beep and she moved her finger slowly to see who contacted her. 

'ten messages from Tyler and five messages from Krystal'

Jessica lingered at Tyler's Kakao message, pondering whether or not to open the message. She finally decided to peek at the message and read Tyler's reccurent words who asked where was she, whether she had eaten or not, whether she missed him or not, when would she come back to Korea. She quickly deleted Tyler's message without hesitancy. 

'Boring. Can't he be more creative ? Why didn't he ask what's my plan, am I enjoying myself here or not, have I meet someone interesting along my journey'

When she thought of someone interesting whom she met along her journey, her mind immediately drew up a sketch of  a snowy-white childlike face with a shoulder-length dark brown hair and a mischievous smile. 

'Kim Taeyeon...... I'm doomed. It's still early in the morning and I ditched my soon-to-be fiancé messages because I'm thinking about a girl whom I just met two days ago'

She shook of her head and decided to take a bath to clear off her mind from Taeyeon and the mischievous childlike smile who silently had smitten her whole being and permeated her mind.

- - - 

After she took a bath, Jessica made up her mind to came downstair for breakfast. She readied herself with the chance of Taeyeon not picking up her today at the hotel so she decided to stop by the lobby to take a few tourists information brochures. She was focusing herself on the brochures when she heard a familiar face called upon her name.

"Jessica."

Jessica's heart skipped a beat when she realized her gloomy scenario of Taeyeon not going to pick her up was quite foolish. 

Jessica seemed like she froze in time only to be melted away with Taeyeon's welcoming smile. Jessica thought Taeyeon looked amazing. Taeyeon was wearing a brown trench coat to wrapped up a plain white t-shirts and a black pants. Jessica thought Taeyeon looked utterly classic, simple, but plainly amazing. What Jessica didn't know was Taeyeon actually felt like she would fainted when Taeyeon's eyes landed on Jessica's face. Jessica looked even more stunning with a light beige floral print top and a turquoise high waisted teal skirt that meshed very well in coloration and tone with her flawless skin. 

"Hi Taeyeon," Jessica greeted Taeyeon back though because she repressed her excitement, she didn't smile back at Taeyeon.

"Judging from your look, you were surprised I actually come and pick you up, right ?" Taeyeon chuckled lightly.

Jessica didn't answer Taeyeon's question instead she asked Taeyeon back because she didn't want Taeyeon to think that she didn't trust her. 

"How long have you been here ?"

"Not long," Taeyeon lied but she unconsciusly bit her lip and it didn't go unnoticed by Jessica.

"You're a bad liar," Jessica laughed.

Taeyeon made a puzzled look because she was surprise Jessica knew she was lying. Jessica laughed even harder when she saw Taeyeon's puzzled look who made her even more childlike, she was trying hard to supressed the urges to pinch Taeyeon's cheek. 

Taeyeon was about to ask how did Jessica knew she was lying. She was indeed already waiting for almost two hours since 7 o'clock because she's afraid Jessica already came downstair but didn't see her so she would thought Taeyeon didn't stay true to her words to pick her up in the morning. 

"Let's just eat breakfast, I'm hungry."

Taeyeon nodded and followed Jessica to the restaurant. Taeyeon instinctively pulled out a chair for Jessica but she gestured Jessica to grabbed her foods first and she would wait. In about five minutes, Jessica was back with a plate of scrambled eggs, two pieces of crispy bacon, and two pieces of toast bread along with a small plate of butter.

"You eat a lot yet you have a model-like figure. How impressive," Taeyeon gaped in amazement at Jessica's selection of foods.

Jessica rolled her eyes and reached the toast bread, applying the butter. She then put the toast bread to a plate in front of Taeyeon and one piece of bacon and part of her scrambled eggs.

"You can't live on just coffee. You need to eat."

 Taeyeon felt an immediate warmthness spread upon her body by Jessica's simple caring gesture towards her. She loved how Jessica noticed she did only take coffee most of the time and hardly ever eat. She felt touched because although Jessica put on a nonchalant expression, her act showed how caring of a person she was. 

"Thank you," Taeyeon smiled at Jessica radiantly and Jessica couldn't help but to smile back this time.

"You're most welcome."

They ate their breakfast in silence. Every now and then Taeyeon would check her phone and read something intently. Jessica was curious to know what Taeyeon was reading and she was starting to feel very congenial towards Taeyeon that she's no longer shy to show her interests by initiating the conversation.

"What is it you're reading at your phone ?"

Taeyeon put her fork down and looked up at Jessica,"Just some news about advertising world and some stuffs I'm interested in."

Noticing that Taeyeon's phone work, Jessica asked whether Taeyeon was using local provider. Taeyeon nodded and offer to help Jessica buy a local sim card.

"Certainly you wouldn't miss a chance to text your boyfriend right ?" Taeyeon asked Jessica, her face was vacant and she looked away from Jessica, busying herself with the last scoop of scrambled eggs in front of her.

Jessica didn't answer Taeyeon, she actually didn't like it every time Taeyeon mentioned Tyler. She was here to forget Tyler and Taeyeon has been doing a great job to help her with that and yet Taeyeon would blurted out of the blue about Tyler reccuringly. 

"Are we going to see your friend after this ?" Jessica once again avoided Taeyeon's question and ask about something else. 

Taeyeon felt rather fazed every time Jessica wouldn't answer her questions about Tyler. She was dying to know how's their relationship, did Jessica loves him? Did she going to say yes to Tyler? But she didn't want to churned up unwanted emotions in Jessica so she just kept silent and let her questions unanswered. 

"Yes. We're going to her apartment. It's not far from here. I hope it's okay with you that I take you to meet more strangers."

Jessica smiled at Taeyeon. As a matter of fact, she was thankful that Taeyeon took her along or she might rot at her hotel room today with nothing to do since she's really too lazy to travelled around by herself. 

"Sure. Thank you for saving me from a boring holiday."

"Pleasure is mine. Let's go ?", Taeyeon stood up from her chair and unconsciously extended her hand to Jessica. She stared in horror when she realized what she was doing, just when she was about to retreated her hand back, a smooth and soft hand came into contact with her. Her heart tightened and peculiarly she felt butterflies swarmed around her stomach. She was taken aback by Jessica's respond to hold her hand back. Nonetheless, Taeyeon was happy with the occurence and she walked as if her feet were kissing the earth for she was hand in hand with a gorgeous-looking barbie. Her joy was complented when she looked at Jessica and Jessica was smiling at her. 

---

Less than 15 minutes later, Taeyeon's car was already parked in a sideway of a luxurious-looking apartment in the heart of Auckland. Jessica was already accustomed to Taeyeon's manner of opening a car door for her. Jessica followed Taeyeon to a coffee shop in front of the apartment and her heart almost dropped to the ground when someone loudly shout Taeyeon's name. 

"KIM TAEYEON !"

A tall girl with a fit body and marvelous dazzling black hair stood up from a chair, waving eagerly to Taeyeon and Jessica's direction. Besides her sat the most adorable looking girl that Jessica ever seen. Jessica was surprised when she noticed the uncanny resemblance between the girl who sat besides the tall girl with her sister, Krystal. If she wasn't wearing any contact lens or glasses, Jessica would've must mistaken the girl who sat with Krystal. The difference between them was only the girl who sat has a doe-like eyes and her hair was brown instead of jet black like Krystal. 

Taeyeon let Jessica walked in front of her and guided her to where her friends sat. 

Jessica was nervous and feeling shy, she wasn't good with meeting new people and Taeyeon seemed to notice. Taeyeon put her hand in Jessica back and rubbed it softly, she looked at Jessica and smiled to assure Jessica that everything's going to be alright. Jessica's heart started to beat normally again when Taeyeon soothed her. They sat and Taeyeon introduced Jessica to the tall girl who was her friend, Yuri, while Yuri introduced the girl who sat beside her,Yoona, to Jessica and Taeyeon. 

"So is this the pretty girl you bumped at the airport, Tae ?" Yuri talked in English. Yuri's English wasn't as good and fluent as Taeyeon but she's quite decent. 

Taeyeon looked at Yuri with an irritated face, her face reddened. On the other side, Jessica's face also reddened. 

'Did she mention me to her best friend....'

Yoona laughed seeing the reddened face of Jessica and Taeyeon. She thought they actually looked cute together although she's heard from Yuri that Jessica already has a boyfriend. 

"Don't bother her, she's a little bit screwed up in the head," Taeyeon responded to Yuri's tease. 

Jessica just smiled and she sipped her tea to rid away the awkwardness. 

"So Jessica, are you in college or are you working ?" Yuri was naturally talkative and her way of communicating always made people feel at ease because she radiates a certain aura of friendliness in her. 

Jessica can immediately felt Yuri's friendliness and somehow she felt comfortable to open up to a conversation with Taeyeon around. 

"I work for Blanc & Eclare Korea as a junior fashion designer. Do you guys live and work here ?" Jessica asked Yuri and as well Yoona back.

"Cool !", Yuri stated, she was looking completely excited with the fact of Jessica working as a fashion designer and Yoona also showed excitement. The fact that two strangers whom she just met a few minutes showed her an excitement towards her work made Jessica feel appreciated. 

"I think it's an okay job. It's always been my dream though," Jessica shyly said. 

"Compared to you my life is quite boring," said Yuri while reaching out for a ciggaretes in her bag. 

Yuri motioned Jessica for a ciggaretes and Jessica shook her head politely.

"I don't smoke," she smiled. Yuri exuded a kindred character of pleasant friendliness just like Taeyeon but the difference was the second they started to talk, Yuri unfolded quickly while Taeyeon seemed to be made of layers and layers of mystery. 

Taeyeon turned her head towards Jessica, her face conscience-stricken, she asked Jessica,"Do you mind if I smoke ?"

Jessica was quite dumbfounded, not because Taeyeon smokes, but more to the fact that she made the effort to ask for Jessica's permission. 

Yuri smiled teasingly and then she said,"You must be an exceptional girl. Taeyeon never asked for permission to smoke to a girl before."

Yoona laughed and to hide her flusteredness Jessica laughed as well. While Taeyeon in the other hand was sighing deeply and threw a murderous looks towards Yuri. 

"It's okay Taeyeon," Jessica answered Taeyeon's question. She felt her ears getting hot and she's afraid her face would blush. 

Taeyeon elegantly reached out for ciggarete and lit it. She inhaled it deeply and let out a puff of smokes to the air. Jessica was never interested in smoking or with someone who smokes in particular. But somehow the sight of Taeyeon smoking instead of being a turn off, made Taeyeon appeared more cool and elegant. 

Yuri continued the conversation. She answered Jessica's question about her work. Yuri owned a bar called K & K in Seoul but she was fed up with managing the bar so much that she decided to take a break and come to New Zealand, knowing that Taeyeon would follow her here. Yuri has been in New Zealand for three months now and she's planning to go back to Korea after Yoona's graduation next month. On the other hand, Yoona has been residing in New Zealand since the start of her high school year, she studied graphic design in Auckland. Taeyon expressed her interest towards Yoona when she found out that Yoona was studying graphic design. She handed out her business card and told Yoona to came look for her if she's planning to go back to Korea and looking for a job. 

"So what does K & K stands for ?" Jessica asked Yuri. She thought the name was rather unique.

Yuri exchanged looks with Taeyeon and they both erupted laughter in unison.

"I'm a slacker and I'm not interested in going to college but at the same time I feel ashamed for asking my parents for money. So I pleaded my affluent best friend here," Yuri motioned her finger towards Taeyeon,"and asked for her support. Hence the name K & K. Kim and Kwon."

"My best friend here, is a complete opposite of me. She's well-educated, succesful at a young age, and cool. Girls queued for her attention but she's far too private for her own good," Yuri said, her eyes directed to Jessica who felt like she's being targeted for product selling.

Taeyeon snickered at Yuri's words,"Unlike you, I'm looking for a profound relationship."

Yuri laughed teasingly,"Yeah you're looking for a profound relationship by sleeping around ceaslessly."

Jessica frozed at Yuri's statement. She felt her stomach churned with the revelation. She felt confuse but she dislikes the idea of Taeyeon sleeping around. But who was she to judge Taeyeon. Taeyeon was remarkably kind to her and moreover she was polite, gentle, and well-mannered with no hints of being a ert. 

Yuri seemed to notice Jessica's grim expression and she signaled a silence motion to Taeyeon whose face turned completely tense. Taeyeon was about to said a word but Yuri interrupted. 

"But that day was long over. Right, Taeyeon ?" Yuri asked Taeyeon but her eyes were directed to Jessica. 

Jessica smiled lightly to sheltered her disturbed feeling. 

Taeyeon just nodded, she stole a glance to Jessica and although Jessica was smiling, she could felt a discomfort permeated from her body. 

Yoona noticed what's going on and quickly casted another topic. 

"So what's your plan while you're here, Jessica unnie ?"

"I don't have any plan."

"She doesn't have any plan."

Taeyeon and Jessica were answering Yoona in unison. They both looked at each other and laughed when they realized how harmoniously they answered the question. 

Yoona laughed as well seing their simultaneous answer, and Taeyeon and Jessica can't help but laughing along with Yoona because Yoona let out a very unique way of laugh. For such a pretty girl, Yoona had such a weird laugh, was wide open like an alligator. 

Instaneously, the tense atmosphere melted into a more cordial one and they continued another conversation. 

"How come you don't have any plan, unnie?"

"Well....", Jessica looked at Taeyeon and Taeyeon got the hint that Jessica wanted her to tell Yoona and Yuri what was the reason she's in New Zealand. Taeyeon then told Yoona and Yuri how Jessica was just being proposed the day before she went to New Zealand and she's actually there to avoid answering to the question because she didn't feel like she's ready yet. 

"How long have you been dating ?", Yuri asked to Jessica.

"Two years."

"That's a long time. My relationship never lasted more than three months," said Yuri. 

"You've been together for two years and you're still not sure whether you're ready or not ?" it was Yoona's turn to ask Jessica. 

Jessica paused for a moment, from the look of her face she was trying hard to put into words on what she's feeling.

"I don't feel like he understands me enough. I feel like he doesn't know the real me. The me under my facade."

The three others nodded in unison. 

"Well but you make it through two years of relationship," Taeyeon mumbled incoherently.

"Right. I mean you must've like him if you stay until now," Yuri added Taeyeon's statement.

Jessica put her hand to rest in her chin and then she said, answering Taeyeon and Yuri's statement,"Of course I like him. He's not bad-looking, he's succesful and comes from a good family background, he has a settle job and he relentlessly pursuit me. There's no reason for me to reject her notion to ask me to be his girlfriend. Afterall, I'm almost in my mid-twenty and he seems like the perfect guy, or so I thought."

"But he's not ?", Yoona asked. 

Taeyeon turned to Jessica, she's worried that Jessica felt uncomfortable to open up to strangers. In just three days, she knew that Jessica was a hard shell to crack and yet since they arrived here, Jessica's been bombarded with questions from Yuri and Yoona.

Jessica felt Taeyeon's hand landed in her shoulder and she looked towards Taeyeon. Once again she felt a blazing intensity of genuiness in Taeyeon's dark brown eyes and even before Taeyeon spoke she felt she knew already what Taeyeon about to say. 

"It's okay Taeyeon. I guess we're all sort of friend now ?"

Taeyeon smiled lightly at Jessica's answer and Yuri and Yoona nodded enthusiastically at Jessica's words. 

"Not sort of ! We are friend. Taeyeon's friend is my friend !" Yuri exclaimed. 

Jessica laughed at Yuri's kkab behaviour. But Yuri was right, she felt like she's with a dear friends amongst them. Yuri's easy-going behavior and Yoona calm but friendly character sort of gave solace to her. There she was, all alone in a strange country but underneath the cloudless beautiful sky of Auckland she felt liberated and happy. She felt like she reunited with an old friends whom she hasn't seen for so long. 

"So he's not what you're thought of ?", Yoona repeated her question. She was curious about Jessica's explanation.

"I look for partners who are intelligent, creative, and interested in personal growth. Both mine and theirs personal growth. But Tyler wasn't interested in this sort of stuff. He's intelligent but not...deep ? He's far from creative because he does such a monotonous job and personal growth ? I don't think he even knows what a personal growth is. He can be quite immature. He's good and all but the list of his bad qualities far outstripped his good qualities. I always feel like there's something missing, something vital about this relationship."

"I know someone whose intelligent, creative-genius, and very much interested in personal growth," Yuri responded to Jessica's answer.

"Nuguya ?" Jessica asked Yuri. 

"But she's a girl," Yuri chuckled and on the other side Taeyeon's face reddened, she knew Yuri would throw her under the bus again. Sometimes she loathed Yuri's easy-goingness for she throws embarassing words so easily. Especially when Yuri knew Taeyeon would be embarassed. 

Jessica laughed at Yuri's statement. 

"Why are you laughing, Sica ? I'm serious. But you don't like girl do you," Yuri put on a fake serious face, "Anyway sorry I call you Sica, that's okay right ? Your name is too long and speaking in English makes me tired."

Jessica nodded at Yuri's request to call her Sica and then she answered her,"I guess I can fall it love with anyone who's succesful in taking my heart away."

Taeyeon's face was now utterly flustered, she resembled a boiled crab by now. Jessica noticed Taeyeon's face was reddened and she glimpsed a drop of sweats going down Taeyeon's forehead. 

"Are you okay, Taeyeon ? Do you need some fresh water ?" Jessica asked Taeyeon and quickly grabbed a tissue from her bag, wiping off Taeyeon's sweat. Jessica's act only made it worst for Taeyeon felt like she was about to passed out from the closeness of their distance. 

She struggled to answer Jessica but no words couldn't come up from so she just nodded. 

Yuri on the other hand, seemed to be thoroughly amused seeing Taeyeon's reaction. 

"Relax buddy," Yuri rubbed Taeyeon's arm while maintaining not to burst into laughter. 

Yoona playfully slapped Yuri shoulder and laughed along with her. 

"You're such a tease Yul unnie."

Taeyeon lit up another ciggarete to shook off her nervousness. Afterwards, the talk about Jessica's love life continued again after the short moment of playfulness. 

"So how many ex do you have so far ?" Yuri asked Jessica.

"Yah Kwon Yuri !" Taeyeon shot a deadly glare to Yuri but Jessica just laughed when Taeyeon thought she would be mad because of Yuri's prying question.

"I'm sorry, was it too personal ?" Yuri pulled of dumbfounded look. 

"Not much. Only two. How about you, Yul ? You seems like you have a lot of ex."

Yuri giggled and Taeyeon snickered at Jessica's question.

"Oh you wouldn't believe how many girls she dated," Taeyeon answered. 

Both Yuri and Taeyeon bursted into laughter with their inside jokes while Jessica and Yoona watched the two best friend laughing together with amusement.

"Taeyeon's right. To be honest I've lost count on how many girls I've dated."

With Yuri's answer, Jessica's first judgement was finally answered. She predicted that Yuri also swing the other way just like Taeyeon. But how about Yoona ? She wondered if Yoona was Yuri's girlfiend, but they didn't seem like a lover, more like a sibling with their similar tallness and long brown hair. Jessica determined to ask Taeyeon later about Yuri and Yoona relationship. 

"Are you not gonna ask Taeyeon how many  ex does she have ?" Yuri pulled up a mischieveous look and Taeyeon glared again at Yuri.

Jessica's mouth half open and she then proceed to ask Taeyeon shyly although in actuality she really didn't want to know about Taeyeon's ex. But she thought it wouldn't be fair if she blurted out casually about her ex but Taeyeon can't do the same.

Taeyeon hesitated for a while, she glimpsed at Jessica and nuzzled her forehead out of nervousness.

"None. I have none," Taeyeon answered quickly. 

Yuri shook her head,"Can you believe her Sica ? She's well educated and well mannered with a classy outgoing look and a youthlike charm but she never dated, not even once."

Jessica just smiled at Yuri, she was somehow relieved to found out that Taeyeon never dated before. Her assumption that Taeyeon was a player because she doesn't do dating was wrong. 

'And here I thought I wouldn't find anyone whose more reserved than me'

Taeyeon put off her ciggarete and catch a glance to her watch. 

"Look it's already lunch time, do you guys have plan ?" Taeyeon asked Yoona and Yuri.

"Yeah, in half an hour I have to take this young lady to her campus. You guys enjoy your lunch together, I'll contact you again tomorrow buddy," Yuri answered.

Taeyeon turned her head to Jessica and asked her whether she would like to have lunch or not. Jessica nodded and they both bid farewell to Yuri and Yoona and promised to meet them again sometimes that week. 

Taeyeon and Jessica then walked away to the crowded street of Auckland. The sun already soared high in the blue sky and they both were feeling hungry. 

"Would you mind if I take you to lunch ?" Taeyeon asked Jessica again. 

Jessica smiled, she found Taeyeon's courtesy and politeness extremely endearing. Taeyeon's manner seemed to be altered from the first day Jessica met her. The Taeyeon before was suave and playful but the Taeyeon in front of her know was more timid and reserved. Jessica noticed Taeyeon spoke more softly towards her and each time Taeyeon stared at her with intensity she felt a peculiar feeling of...warmthness in her stomach and her heart seemed to swell. 

Taeyeon looked at Jessica with a perplexed look, she was confuse why was Jessica all smiling and happy now.

"I'm afraid I'm going to bug you everyday while I'm here Kim Taeyeon."

Taeyeon beamed a pleased smile to Jessica,"Please do bug me more, Sica."

She gestured Jessica to walk in front of her and behind Jessica she mentally thought to herself.

'I wouldn't mind being bugged with such a pretty smile like that everyday.'