Serendipity

Come Rain or Come Shine

Do you believe in an unexpected meeting between two people that will change their life? 

It started just like any ordinary and typical day. That day was a typical congested day at Incheon International Airport, South Korea. Jessica was quietly sipping on her hot moccha latte. She was slim yet she has an extremely delicate figure with a glowing and shiny light-coloured hair. Upon seeing her for the first time, people would likely mistaken her as non-Korean. Instead of wearing sunglasses to hide away from Seoul's severe Summer temperature, she wore a Tom Ford sunglasses to cover up her appalling eye-bag, making her looked more like a foreigner. She wandered around feeling tedious for having to wait for her flight. With nothing better to do, she decided to turn around and made her way to the designated free internet area, she needed to make a video call.

*Bum!*

"Ouch," a squeal came out of Jessica's mouth and she was about to let out another scream when she saw her newly bought Chanel coat covered in her own moccha late. Almost in the verge of raging out, Jessica decided to hold back her anger when she met the eyes of the culprit who just ruined her Chanel coat.

Gleaming dark brown hair wrapped around a very snow-white skin. Jessica noticed her culprit's exquisite sunglasses.

'Marchon Eyewear, Karl Lagerferd collection. Maybe I should make her apologize and ask for her sunglasses.'

The other person bowed 90 degrees to Jessica repeatedly. She then took off her sunglasses, uncovering a pair of winsome brown-colored eyes. Jessica was taken aback by the youthfulness of her culprit's face although her aura showed the complete opposite of a youth. 

"Oh my God, please let me apologize by buying you a new coffee. Will you wait here please? I just need to check in to my flight real quick, I'm running a little late," said the culprit who bumped into Jessica with a perfect English.

The culprit stood in front of Jessica with a deeply apologetic look while Jessica wore her icy facade. Jessica didn't usually soften moreover to a stranger. However, when the culprit started to beam a very enchanting smile, Jessica felt a peculiar feeling of fondness towards her. As soon as she looked up, her eyes clicked onto Jessica's face. The breath whooshed out of  her body and everything froze for a second, as though she looked at her through a camera lens, zoomed in all the way, the world paused for that tiny span of time between the opening and closing of the shutter. Jessica froze in time and her culprit made a questioning look.

"Miss, are you okay ? I'm terribly sorry but will you kindly wait for me? I promise I'll buy you a cup of coffee and take care of your stained coat."

The culprit reached out for her postman bag and handed out a business card to Jessica.

Jessica just nodded politely, her intuition directed her action so  she decided to wait for the girl who stained her thousand dollars coat. 

The dark-haired culprit came towards Jessica, half-running. Jessica looked in awe as the culprit pulled her hair into a bun, parading a well-set smooth snowy-white face and  a twinkling eyes. She shook her face in bewilderment, confused with her own amazement.

"Thank you for waiting, Miss...?", the culprit extended her hand, Jessica noticed she was wearing a fancy and timeless watch from Bvlgari collection. Jessica thought her culprit must've been loaded with  money judging from her overall appearance. 

"Jessica," Jessica answered shortly. She didn't want the culprit to realized that she was admiring her smile and flawless skin. 

The culprit smiled pleasantly and Jessica was taken aback by how enamoring her smile was. 

"I'm Kim Taeyeon. You can call me Taeyeon. Shall I walk you to Starbucks to get you your coffee?"

"I mean if you don't mind, but you waited for me so obviously you were waiting for me to get you a coffee, right?"

Kim. Must've been a daughter of a chaebol, Jessica thought.

Nevertheless she rolled her eyes seeing the talkative character of Taeyeon. Jessica has always been a quiet person and she wasn't really fond of conversations with a strangers.

"Alright, I'm bored anyway."

"You're bored? Perfect. I'm a writer and I love to talk with people. I hope you don't mind talking to a stranger like me."

Jessica was once again taken aback by her own reply towards Taeyeon. She can't believe that she practically invited Taeyeon to have a conversation with her. But there's an undeniable charm in Taeyeon which drawns Jessica in and Jessica was feeling quite up for a chat that day. Jessica walked alongside Taeyeon to the nearest Starbucks and Taeyeon seems to never ran out of topics to talk. When they arrived at Starbucks, Taeyeon gestured Jessica to take a seat and she assured her that she didn't need to queue with her.

"It's okay, Jessica. That's your name, right? I can call you Jessica, is that okay?"

Jessica just nodded. It's not that she's not friendly but she was too shy to open up to a stranger, moreover the stranger by the name of Taeyeon seemed to possess a certain kind of charisma which intimidated Jessica but at the same time captivated her interest. 

"What kind of coffee do you want?"

"The one you spilled is moccha latte."

Taeyeon chuckled at Jessica's sarcasm. Taeyeon can't lie that she felt extremely fortunate to ran into such a gorgeous girl just when she thought her day was going to be ruined. Not only she was able to catch her flight, God was certainly kind enough to bump her into Jessica that day. 

In a few minute Taeyeon was back with one moccha latte and one iced americano. She handed Jessica the moccha latte and took a deep sip to her own americano.

"I'm a Korean," Jessica blurted out.

Taeyeon's eyes grew bigger in amazement by Jessica's statement. 

"You are?" answered Taeyeon in Korean. 

"Ne."

"Well are you more comfortable talking in Korean or English?"

"I moved to Korea two years ago and I hardly speak English anymore so I guess it's nice to be able to converse in English with another Korean."

"Well English it is."

"How come your English is so good? Did you study abroad?"

"Aniyo. I studied at SNU but spent my middle school and high school years at an international school."

Taeyeon tried to steal a glance to Jessica. She can't help but to gaze Jessica's princess-like appearance in wonder. 

Jessica laughed adorably when she caught Taeyeon was stealing glances at her. 

"Am I pretty?"

Taeyeon was almost chocked with an ice coffee when Jessica blurted out the question. She fell back and let out a laugh which sounds like a middle-aged woman. Sparked by Taeyeon's laugh, Jessica laughed along and the atmosphere suddenly melted into a more casual and friendly one between the two strangers. 

"Unbelievably pretty. You look like a barbie to be honest."

"I've heard that a lot. What do you do?"

"Drinking ice coffee with a stranger who looked like a barbie and whose Chanel coat I stained with a mocha latte."

"Aish. Seriously. I mean, you write as a living? Is that what you do?"

"Not really, it's just a hobby which I take quite seriously. I work at an advertising agency."

Jessica nodded her head discerning the information, she's curious to know how Taeyeon knew that her coat was Chanel.

"How did you know I wore a Chanel coat?"

"My best friend has one and she's damn protective with that coat. Unbelievable."

Jessica thought of her childhood best friend as well who has the exact same Chanel coat as her. Subsequently, Jessica recalled that her best friend, Tiffany, also went to SNU and studied at international school when she moved to Korea. Jessica was about to ask if Taeyeon knew Tiffany, but Taeyeon interrupted her thought and soon she forgotten to ask about it. 

"Do you work at a fashion industry? Your airport outfit look like you're about to walk in a runway."

"Yes, for Elle Korea."

Taeyeon half-opened in amazement.

"Can I ask you something?"

Taeyeon looked at Jessica and she can't understand why her heart pounded wildly when Jessica wanted to ask her about something. She felt like just by an hour of togetherness in the cramped coffee shop in the middle of an airport, a gorgeous stranger was about to peeled away layer by layer of her life. 

"Sure," Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders.

"Are you really sure? What I'm about to ask is quite personal."

Taeyeon's heart continued to beat wildly, she was both excited and scared that the person she's interested in was taking an interest about her. Moreover, Jessica was extremely nonchalant the first time they started to talk but Jessica gradually became more hospitable and warmer although most of the time Taeyeon still the one initiated the talk.

Taeyeon tried to cover her nervousness by letting out an awkward laugh.

"Sure, what kind of personal question you'd like to ask a person you just met an hour ago anyway."

Jessica hesitated but Taeyeon gestured her to go ahead and ask her the question.

"Do you happen to date girls and not boys?"

Taeyeon smiled awkwardly. She had the option to lie and pretend that she liked boys in order not to scare away Jessica and forge a friendship with her. But intuition was always a funny thing, your head clearly told you to do things based on a logical and rational explanation but then your heart started to rioting and throw itself to a pertrubing battle with your head. You became confuse which one should you trust? Your head or your heart? 

Taeyeon chose to trust her heart. She abandoned her option to lie and decided she didn't want to forge a friendship based on a lie. She risked the chance of being left by Jessica because she's gay.

"I'm sorry, that's a rude question. You don't have to answer, Taeng," Jessica said apologetically.

Taeyeon smiled sincerely, for some reason she wasn't afraid of telling the truth to Jessica.

"It's okay. How did you know? It's not a rude question, but a strange one to ask. You're bolder than I think you are," Taeyeon let out a chuckle. 

"I don't know. Just a feeling I guess? Do you have a girlfriend?" Jessica smiled at Taeyeon, she felt somewhat relieved Taeyeon opened up to her. Part of Jessica unexplainably wanted Taeyeon to be single, but why? She questioned her sanity for hoping a stranger, a woman, to be single. 

"No, I don't do dating," Taeyeon smiled sheepishly. She regretted the answer because she felt like she shouldn't close an open opportunity right in front of her.

"Wow," Jessica smirked, she felt glad that Taeyeon was single but something in heart moved when she heard that Taeyeon doesn't do dating. Was she a free soul who doesn't like to be tied up, she tought to herself.

"How about you?"

Jessica froze when she heard Taeyeon's question. Just like Taeyeon, she had an option to lie but she felt like opening up to this youthful face in front of her. 

"I...mmm...I had a boyfriend of two years and he just popped the question yesterday."

Taeyeon clearly tried to hide her disappointment but she felt like she failed to do it well because she started to move uncomfortably in her chair. We can still be friend, Taeyeon thought.

"Oh."

Out of the sudden, Jessica felt uncomfortable when she saw a slight of disappointment in Taeyeon's face. Did she just lose a chance to get to know this person who captivated her right from the moment their eyes met?

"I'm actually here to buy some time from him. I'm not ready yet to answer..so.."

A silence ensued between them, both took a sip at their coffee, they were both seemed to be regretting the turn of conversation. 

"Well, my flight is about to board I guess," Taeyeon stood up from her chair, she wanted to rush out from there and forgot about their interaction and hours of talk. 

Jessica smiled disappointedly, she tried to look nonchalant once again and rose up from her chair as well.

"I guess I'll contact you once I'm back in Seoul."

Taeyeon's face lightened up with the mention of Jessica contacting her but then she remembered she stained Jessica's thousand dollars designer coat which was probably why Jessica wanted to contact her.

Taeyeon nodded and smiled at Jessica before waving her goodbye, leaving Jessica to ponder in silence of their profound conversation.

 

- - - 

Every human relationship and encounter begins with a coincidence. Even the most fundamental relationship - that of a parent and child - a husband and wife - a long live friend. Coincidences sparks choices and choices are reactions to whatever random coincidence made that make relationship possible. Anything is possible in your day to day life. In an airport you could bump into a stranger that could change your life forever. When an orbit of two satellites happened to cross paths, these two satellites could be together. They might open up their hearts to each other. But that was only for a very brief moment. In the next instant, both satellites will be once again in an absolute solituted. They burned up and became nothing once again. Just a stranger with a memory. 

- - -

"Attention please, all passengers boarding Korean Airlines flight number KR922 to Auckland with a transit in Sydney International Airport, please board the aircraft"

Taeyeon sat at her first class coach, gazing through the window and letting the burning sun rays of Seoul's summer sun soaking her eyes. She contemplated the meeting with Jessica earlier, played every conversation in her head and felt a terrible urge to repeated it again and again. When she took a deep sigh and look at the front of the plane's aisle she was about to caught a heart attack. Standing gracefully with a flowing blonde hair and black dress wrapped around a petite figure, she saw the person she'd seen in her head just a moment ago. She immediately stood up from her comfortable coach and half-shouted called the girl's name.

"Jessica?"

Jessica can't help but to smile when she recognize the voice and saw the familiar face.

"Yes, I'm running away to Auckland," she beamed a joyous smile, "I guess I'll just have to wait for 14 hours flight to dry clean my coat."

Taeyeon nodded and fell back to her coach. She unconsciously smiled and thought to herself.

'Play whatever jokes you have for me, God'