Chapter 9

The Playlist of Reasons Why I Love You

“Hey, Ara. I heard that you’re my new partner for my recital tomorrow.”

It was the y Solbi sunbae who almost threw me into the dungeon.

“Fuuuuuuccccck…”Yeona breathed with half of a cup cake still in .

My mouth immediately went dry. I had to play with Solbi sunbae. This was going to be fun.

***

“One two three four,” I lightly pressed on the keys and sunbae dragged the bow against the delicate strings. As soon as her violin made a sound, I cringed. She didn’t seem to notice but her instrument was so out of tune and the sound wasn’t smooth at all.

“Wait, when was the last time you got your violin checked? It’s out of tune and it doesn’t sound normal…” I asked.

“Are you doubting my skills?” She raised her eyebrow as a challenge.

“No, I’m just saying, it’s out of tune.” I countered.

“You and your freakish ears, gawdddd…” She rolled her eyes.

I just shook my head and counted in again. As we played in somewhat of a synchronisation, sunbae started to slow down. She couldn’t keep up the paste.

“One, two and three and four and one two and three and four and!!” I shouted over the music to get her back on track.

“Shut up!!” She screamed back.

As soon as we were finished with the song, I stood up in frustration.

“Look sunbaenim, I get that this song is hard for a violin but you CAN’T SLOW DOWN. I’m sorry that I shouted at you but you’ll lose points if you don’t keep up with me. The piano is the lead for this song and the violin has to follow the piano no matter what. OK?”

“Don’t tell me what to do and what not to do. I’m a senior and you’re a first year. Don’t you dare think that you can boss me around just because you’re a musical FREAK.” Sunbae spart at me with her index finger digging into my chest.

We stared at each other with intensity until the 9pm bell rang.

“You better get your together tomorrow, first year.” Sunbae stomped out of the practice room. I stuck my middle finger in the air when she was gone.

***

“How was it???” Yeona jumped out of her bed when I entered our room.

“I hate that so much,” I growled.

“You poor soul…I can’t believe the school’s forcing you through all this…” Yeona murmured.

“And wait until she finds out who my boy friend is. She will flip at me.” I grumbled. I guessed that solbi sunbae didn’t hear about the news yet because she didn’t bring up anything during the rehearsal.

“HA……man I feel so bad for ya…”

“Any suggestions on not failing the recital tomorrow?” I lazily asked as I changed into my pajamas.

“Hmmmm…well…all I can tell you is…you always have to be in the lead. My majors professor always emphasize that part because a pianist always have to have control over the music since his/her instrument is the root of the piece. Once you lose control, you’re screwed.” Yeona shrugged.

“I think I got that part mastered…I yelled at her today, heh,” I smiled in glory. Yeona gave me a round of applause for my great achievement of the day.

“Good for you, girl! Anyways, we better go to bed, you have a battle to win tomorrow.”

***

Sunbae and I were in the waiting room behind the stage, stretching. Playing an instrument in front of a crowd took great amounts of energy and concentration. You always had to warm up, just like a 100m race or a soccer game. We were surrounded by third years that were also getting ready for their recitals.

Knock, knock, knock…

“Come in,” I said.

The door opened and my beautiful oppa entered, brightening the whole room with just his presence. The whole room filled with whispers and giggles.

“Oh my god, Chanyeol is here!!”

“He’s  probably here for his girl friend…”

“Oh yeah, the first year. I hate her so much.”

Ignoring the nasty side comments, I faced my oppa who had a small box in his hand. Sunbae stood in front of me.

“Oh a Cheong Shim Hwan!! (It’s a medicine with herbs rolled up into a ball. It has a calming effect. Very popular in Korea among students especially during exam season) Oh my god, thanks Chanyeol! You’re the best.” Sunbae walked towards him and reached for the box.

“Wait, this isn’t for you, Solbi, sorry…It’s for Ara,” oppa passed by the shocked solbi sunbae and smiled brightly at me, “Here, chew on this and it will help with your anxiety.”

“Thank you, oppa,” I blushed and planted a light kiss on his cheek.

“Da ?” Sunbae screeched at the back, “You guys are dating??????????”

 “Yeah, I’m surprised you didn’t hear about it,” Chanyeol oppa frowned.

“Are you in kidding me???” Sunbae’s eyes were about to pop out of her eye sockets.

“No, you got a problem with that?” Oppa challenged. He looked so hot when he was angry at sunbae…

“No, of course not^^.” She turned to me with that creepy smile on her face, “Congrats on getting laid for the first time by your stupid friend’s brother.”

My eyes widened in shock and oppa’s jaw convulsed.

“You just crossed the line.” Oppa stared coldly at sunbae.

“Come on, I was just joking.” Sunbae snarled.

 He roughly grabbed sunbae’s wrist and pulled her towards him, “If you hurt Ara one more time, I will tell everyone who you really are. Now go yourself.” Only the three of us could hear the conversation.

Sunbae’s eyes twitched in fear, but soon came back to normal. She looked at oppa square in the eye and smirked.

“Do you think that really scares me? You don’t have proof. And nothing will keep me away from this school unless you burn all the instruments that my family donated. Now, if you will excuse me, your girl friend and I have to head to the stage. C’mon Ara.”

Sunbae pushed me towards the exit and I was dragged outside leaving my furious oppa and the shocked crowd of their years behind. We walked down the hall to the technical section of the back stage. As we climbed up the stairs to the main stage behind the curtains, I unwrapped the Cheong Shim Hwan and stuffed it in my mouth. I couldn’t even taste the strong herbs because I was so nervous. After what happened at the waiting room, I was surprised that I was standing on two feet at the moment.

I sat down in front of the grand piano and looked back to see the stage director.

She mouthed, “On three, two, one.” The giant curtains opened revealing at least a thousand pair of eyes, staring at us.

The show has begun.