Chapter 5

The Playlist of Reasons Why I Love You

“Why the hell are you at Chanyeol’s house?”

It was the sunbae unnie that threw me in the dungeon. Solbi Lee.

She was staring at me with her eyes on fire. She was furious, I could tell.

“It’s also my house, you know. And she’s my friend. Got a problem with that, sunbae?” Yeona demanded with her head held high. She wasn’t scared of Solbi sunbae. She was Chanyeol oppa’s little sister and Solbi wouldn’t dare try to hurt her.

“What happened to the ‘nim’ at the end? (you use ‘nim’ as a sign of respect for older people or people with more experience…like using vous instead tu in French^^)”

“I don’t think that’s necessary for a girl who spends all her free time stalking my brother. I don’t have any kind of respect for people like you, sunbae.” Yeona countered.

“,” sunbae unnie spat.

“I wonder what oppa would say if he heard that, hmmmm…” Yeona dramatically tapped her chin. I bit my lips to hold my laughter.

“What are you doing here, Solbi?” Oppa was standing right beside me. When did he show up?

“Well, I thought-”

 “Don’t do that, a singer’s lips should always be in good condition…” Oppa placed his thumb on my chin and softly tugged down, making my teeth lose grip on my bottom lip. I blushed and sunbae’s eyes twitched with anger and irritation.

“I THOUGHT you promised me that you’d give me a drive back to school.” Solbi sunbae spat every word. She crossed her arms and tapped on the ground with her stilettos.

“You took 10 minutes by bus to come here just to get a 15 minute drive full of traffic to school when you could’ve just walked 3 minutes? That seems preeeetty inconvenient.” Yeona mused mokingly.

Sunbae’s jaw convulsed and her eye brows twitched with anger.

“Sorry, Solbi. But I don’t remember promising you a drive…and plus…I have to drive my two dongsaengs to school. I’m in charge of them.” Oppa shrugged. I’m his dongsaeng now?!

“Since when did you start treating hoobaes so nicely? Calling her ‘my dongsaeng’?” She questioned.

“Since the day I saved her from the dungeon you forced her in.” He glared at Solbi sunbae.

“She did that to you?” Yeona’s eyes widened.

“Yeah. Now, let’s go. We’re gonna be late for school.” Oppa hastily ended the conversation. He placed a hand behind my back and led me to his car with Yeona already climbing in.

“…” Sunbae breathed only for me to hear. I gulped as I climbed in after my friend.

***

“Now class, I have your first assignment of the year and it’s going to be very heavy on our final grade so don’t take it so lightly.” Everyone groaned. It was the first music literature class of the year and we already got an assignment that determined our grades.

“The assignment is…to write a love song for the winning film of the national youth film festival that was created by some of the students of our school. And it’s going to be entered into the international youth film festival with the two best songs featured in the scene that the composers choose.” There were whispers and giggles filling the classroom. The assignment wasn’t that bad. We expected something like composing a rhapsody for a 50 string orchestra or analyzing a concerto created by Beethoven.

“Now, all of you are thinking that this is going to be a piece of cake, but no. The twist of this assignment is to write a love song from a view of the opposite . So girls have to write a song from a guy’s point of view and vice versa. It may sound easy but trust me; even those who have experienced love will have a great amount of trouble feeling the emotions of the unknown. You have until the end of today to pass in a finished score. Go!” Everyone scattered. They found their private space on a desk or on the floor to plan out the body of the song. Some left to find a quieter place in the campus.

I bit my lip in concentration. I had to write a love song from a male point of view in one day. I sighed in frustration. Writing a song in a day wasn’t that hard of a task. I have once written three songs in five hours and one of them was even bought by a famous musician in the industry. The problem was though, I’ve never really experienced love let alone think about the guy’s point of view when he was in love with me which never happened.

“This is impossible…” I murmured.

I decided to go to my room for ideas. I had to do something. As I made my way down to the hallway where all the full scholars lived, I saw a lounge between two rooms. It had everything from comfortable couches to a tv to all kinds of instruments that didn’t require a mouth piece.

‘Perfect,’ I thought.

I ran to my room to grab my song writing stuff and found a comfortable place to brainstorm. Luckily, the major classes usually took two class times and everyone had it on the same day which meant that I had the whole day to work on it without the interruption of the great student body migration or another subject that I signed up for.

‘A love song from a boy’s point of view…’ I thought. Immediately, I thought of Chanyeol oppa. I blushed when I visualized the time when he winked at me.

“What are you blushing about??”

I whipped my head to the side and saw Chanyeol oppa entering the lounge. He slumped beside me and peered at my empty notepad.

“N-nothing…” I murmured, “What are you doing here? Don’t you have a major class to go to?” I tried to change the subject.

“Oh, I got my assignment but it’s not due for another month. I’m kind of a procrastinator.” He scratched his head, “Plus, it’s a partner project and I’m stuck with Solbi…she probably already sent a search party for me…god she’s so annoying.”

I looked around in panic. The last thing I wanted to do was see her.

“Don’t worry, she never comes here. She thinks that she’s too cool for dorms. She got an apartment close to the school. Rich kid perks, you know?”

My eyes widened, “She’s a full scholar, too?”

“Yep, me, her and a few other people are. Some full scholars in our grade dropped out to be professional musicians. Oh and,” Oppa suddenly leaned into my ear, “Don’t repeat what I’m about to say… Solbi actually got the full scholarship not only because her dad donated two billion won (two million dollars) worth of instruments but because she had a thing with one of the administrators. Apparently she went full on with him.” He whispered.

My eyes widened with shock. I thought those kinds of things only happened in books and Hollywood!

“That’s what the rumors say,” Oppa shrugged, “So, what are you doing?”

I sighed. Back to reality.

“Well, it’s for my music literature assignment. I have to write a love song from a guy’s point of view for a film. The recording of the best song by each male and female sung by the other will be played during the scene that we choose. The prize is pretty big.” I really wanted my song to be featured. I would be the start of my music career, “But…I think I’m lost…I don’t know how I’ll be able to pull this off when I don’t even have enough experience to write about my own feelings. And it’s due at the end of today.”

“Well…do you want me to help?” He suggested.

“No, it’s okay…I don’t want to bother you...” I murmured.

“Ok, see ya.” Oppa stood up. I didn’t expect him to actually leave.

I grabbed his wrist without a second thought, “Wait, don’t go.”