a kiss in the rain

25 drabble challenge

“it’s raining,” joonmyun muses, staring out the window as little drops of water start to wet the highest leaves in their small garden. 

“good thing we’re home, then.” yifan says, placing down the car key on the nightstand. he walks over to his lover’s side, squeezing himself in the small couch they place in their room just behind the window that leads to their garden. it is the best view in their house so far. 

joonmyun hums, leaning back against the warmth of yifan’s chest. he places the back of his head on yifan’s shoulder, his gaze not leaving the movement of the rain.

“do you remember the first time we kissed?” yifan asks lowly, his voice is warm. his arms are hooked around joonmyun’s middle, holding him close.

“thought you’d never ask,” he smiles. “i would never forget.”
 



they were young, and much more naive. weeks have passed since the first time they were introduced to each other; at a party held at a bar their mutual friend managed to drag them to. it was attraction at the first sight, because both of them doesn’t believe in love at the first sight. love at the first sight is cliche, and yes, how could love someone without knowing about them first? they exchanged phone numbers and didn’t start to text each other after joonmyun drunk called yifan one night instead of his roommate. affection grew in no time, but they mistook this feeling for something much more simple, and platonic.

it was not until yifan found joonmyun with another man in the same club they first met that they finally resolved it.

joonmyun remembers seeing yifan looking angry, stomping out of the club right away after he saw him with a friend—it was jongin, a junior from his college who came to him to look for jobs, but yifan didn’t know that. and joonmyun remembers him being all wind up and saying a brief sorry to the poor young man before he rushed after yifan out of the club.

it was raining, though not as hard to wet his clothes within seconds. he found yifan standing by the lamp post, face dark under his hood. 

“it wasn’t like that. please don’t misunderstand.”

“what to misunderstand, joonmyun?” yifan sounded calm and collected, but joonmyun couldn’t really tell.

“why are you so dense?” joonmyun almost cried, because he actually wanted yifan to misunderstand, wanted yifan to storm off the club because of jealousy, he wanted yifan to feel the same. “can't you see that you're the one i'm in love with?”

and then perhaps he was crying, perhaps it was the rain. all he knew was when yifan pressed his lips against his for the first time, it tasted like tears. it was happy ones, though.




“it’s a good thing tears never show in the pouring rain,” he muses. 

yifan chuckles. he presses down a kiss to the crown of joonmyun’s head. it smells like the peppermint shampoo he uses everyday; joonmyun must have used it as well this morning. “yeah. it’s good.”

and no, he would never tell joonmyun how glad he was that tears never show in the pouring rain, especially when he was already tearing up when joonmyun had found him at the lamp post.