midnight movie

25 drabble challenge

 

***

 

 

it’s past midnight when joonmyun wakes up, shuddering as the cold wind hits his shoulder. he must have forgotten to shut the window close before he went to sleep. he sighs into his pillow, opting to throw the blanket around himself tighter and snuggle closer to his personal heat source—

he rubs his eye tiredly, realizing how the space next to him is empty. he reaches out a hand to feel the vacant space and finds it cold. yifan must have left the bed for quite a long time to have the cold replaced his warmth. 

joonmyun yawns, getting up. he shivers as he closes off the window with an extra pull, making sure the wind wouldn’t come sneakily again. he glances at the clock ticking on the wall. it’s only fifteen minutes past midnight, and here he thought he has gotten a long sleep. 

he pads himself out of the room, quick to notice that the lights in the kitchen are up, and there is distinct sound of television coming from the living room. he walks towards the source of the sound and finds yifan’s head poking from beneath the blanket in the couch. joonmyun smiles. he silently approaches the older man and puts both his hand on his shoulder to spook him out.

“boo.” he blows over yifan’s neck.

“!!!” yifan literally jumps out of the couch, throwing the blanket into a mess on the floor. “joonmyun! i swear to god if you do it again—”

joonmyun laughs, hands holding onto his stomach. “you should have seen your face!”

“it’s not funny. i’m watching the grudge,” yifan sighs. he picks up the blanket from the floor and sets back into his previous position. 

the younger shudders at the mention of the horror title. “why are you watching that at such ungodly hour?” he takes the space under the blanket next to his boyfriend. yifan’s arm automatically wraps around his middle, pulling him closer.

joonmyun looks at the screen. it is, indeed, showing the horror movie he swore he would never watch. he hides his face in yifan’s face just before it shows the ghost. 

“i couldn’t sleep, and we haven’t watched it before.” yifan pats his arm.

“i didn’t know you like horror movies.”

he shrugs. “some wouldn’t hurt.” 

joonmyun sighs. he decides to watch the movie as well, only with his fingers covering most of his sight. though the sound effects spook him more than the visual image does, causing him to flinch and wince at some screaming. 

“you don’t have to watch this with me, you know.”

“i can’t go back to bed with this movie planted in my head alone,” he pouts slightly. 

“sorry,” yifan bites his lower lip, feeling guilty. he considers tucking joonmyun to bed and then come back to watch the movie, but his boyfriend is right; after having the movie planted in his head things are just more scary around the house. he decides to have a win-win solution for both of them. “here, you can sit like this so you don’t have to watch.” he easily pulls joonmyun and positions him on his lap, facing him. 

joonmyun yelps embarrassedly at the sudden manhandling, but he doesn’t protest. he wraps his hands around yifan’s neck and presses his cheek against his shoulder. he closes his eyes, feeling actually comfortable like this. the comforting yifan gives on his back doesn’t do any help, only lulling him into sleep more.

and just like that, he falls back to sleep.

 

 

***