darkness

25 drabble challenge

 

***

 

 

joonmyun is typing down another line on the report he is supposed to send in by twelve tomorrow when suddenly the lights go out.

“!”

right. yifan is taking a shower at the moment. the sudden blackout must have pissed him off. no one would appreciate sudden darkness when they are taking a bath, especially wu yifan.

joonmyun sighs. the brightness of his laptop screen has dimmed down since the power was cut, but it is enough to light up the crumpled space on his working desk. he tries to force himself to ignore the darkness—it’s totally not creepy and there would be no silent tap on your shoulder to surprise you, joonmyun—and continue on his report, but it really bothers him. 

ever since he accidentally watched—some parts, really—of the grudge that night, he occasionally finding himself with goosebumps on some nights.

he decides to save the progress of his report and gets up, leaving the laptop on just so he has a little source of light in the room. it shouldn’t take long, joonmyun thinks as he walks towards the bathroom, the electricity men would get the lights up very soon. he is certain of it. still, it doesn’t hold him back from knocking the bathroom door.

“yifan?” he asks out loud, pressing one ear to the door to find the shower is no longer running. 

“joonmyun?” yifan calls from inside. 

joonmyun fidgets on the mat in front of the bathroom until the door is open, revealing yifan with water droplets still dripping from his hair and only a towel wrapping around his waist. the older man never bothers with bringing clothes to the bathroom lately. 

“it should be up again soon,” the younger says in a rush.

“i hope it would. i need to use the hairdryer,” yifan sighs. he looks around. “it’s really dark here.”

joonmyun nods, only to remember that the older might not see him. he quickly voices it out. “yes. i’m getting used to it, though.”

yifan doesn’t say anything. instead, he blindly reaches for joonmyun’s hand and takes it in his own. before joonmyun knows, he is already being pulled in the direction of their bedroom. 

it’s funny how joonmyun knows that yifan is a little bit afraid but too stubborn to admit it, but he also knows that he feels the same. he is glad that yifan took the initiative to hold his hand. to other people the gesture might seemed necessary to calm joonmyun, but both of them knows it’s the two hearts that needed reassuring. 

yifan lets go of his hand once they are inside. he walks towards the cabinet to grab some fresh clothes, while joonmyun throws himself onto the bed. he closes his eyes as he feels the soft dip of the mattress as the older joins him in the bed. he waits until yifan reaches him, pulling him by the middle and resting his chin on his head.

“you’re getting the bed wet,” joonmyun complains, though he scoots closer to yifan’s warmth. he presses his palm against yifan’s chest, feeling the muscle beneath it moves as he breathes. joonmyun is addicted to that, to feel that yifan is alive.

“i’ll dry it with the hairdryer later,” he murmurs into joonmyun’s hair. “the darkness makes me sleepy.” he sighs.

joonmyun lifts up his head to kiss the tip of yifan’s chin; his lips brushing against the faint stubble. he makes a mental note to remind his boyfriend to shave tomorrow. “didn’t you say you have paperworks?”

yifan grunts. “i’m gonna finish them in my dreams.”

“like it’s possible,” the younger rolls his eyes.

there is no answer coming from yifan for a while, and joonmyun is sure the other man has fallen asleep. while the warmth is very comforting, joonmyun doesn’t want to be the end to hear yifan’s constant nonsense complaining of having his paperworks undone in the morning. he has made it quite a habit.

“yifan,” he shakes the other man’s shoulder lightly. “your paperwoks.”

yifan shakes his head with his eyes still closed stubbornly. joonmyun tries to remind himself the reasons why he is dating the giant kid in the first place.

suddenly the lights are up, signalling that the electricity is back running in the house. the younger smiles in triumphant as yifan groans as he opens his eyes.  

“it’s not fair,” yifan complains. dating joonmyun has definitely influenced him to pout whenever he feels disappointed. “the universe is conspiring against me.”

 

 

***