We Can Leave For Anywhere Better Tonight

Just The Two Of Us

"Anywhere is fine, do you want to leave tonight? Do you want to leave? To a place where the sky is blue and there are a lot of stars, a place like that, a place like that." -EXO, "Run"


"Wake up and get your asses over here!" The guard yelled at the group of people laying in the dirt around him. Zitao groaned, quiet enough as to not let the others hear, before he pushed himself off of the ground. The sun had barely even risen yet and dirt hung in the air like a net, just waiting for something to step in it's trap. He heard the crackle of a whip break the rumblings sounds of tired men, women, and children. Like any other day, this one would start with pain too. "Faster! Get the hell up!" The whip crackled again and a gasp rang out as it wore at someone's skin. With the threatening of bruises and torn skin it didn't take long for the half-asleep people to haul themselves to their feet and follow the guard to The Commons.

 The Commons was a place of fear. You better get your work done fast or you'll have a beating waiting for you. And then there's more work to do. Zitao had become accustomed to the same routine. Day after day he was sent to work in the fields with the other Workers. They did the hard work, hauling the stones, nailing the pieces, running the distances and so forth. It was dirty and sweaty, and resulted in nothing but more work, calloused hands, and scratches that never seemed to scab over. Looking around you would see all of the other workers, exhausted and beaten, scars lining their backs from the times that they didn't work fast enough.

 A scream suddenly broke through the silence of work and everyone froze, their eyes wide. Pain was evident in the voice that sang around the Commons. Zitao shivered at the words. And cringed every time he heard a guard's whip crackle. It didn't take long for all of them to go back to work though; it was nothing they weren't used to.

 There was no talk, not even whispers anymore, between the workers. Heaven forbid they spoke, it only hindered the process of building and repairing. This was much different from the Fields. The Fields. Anyone who worked there was blessed. Not literally, but the Fields were much more lenient. It was run by the women, of course the people that actually worked in the fields weren't all women, in fact they they were even more varying than the Workers. The Farmers did exactly as their name implied. The farmed, harvested the crop, planted the seeds, they were what kept the encampment running. They were the life of the place and being the life of this terror they were given a lot of rewards. They had beds to sleep on, three meals to eat a day, time to talk, family members got to stay with them. It was the perfect life compared to the Workers who had nothing.

 A lot of people were ignorant. They thought that they Workers would be most rewarded of everyone. Of course they should be; they were the brunt of the place, the ones who built the housing, the new buildings for all of the people here..... except for themselves. The Workers got one meal a day, woke up at the crack of dawn, slept on the bare dirt- no blankets, mats, or pillows for them, just dirt and rock- they were separated from their family, stained from violence, and were punished almost hourly because of course nothing was ever done on time or the way it was supposed to be. But that was life, and they got used to it as the days passed. For some those days had become months, for some they became years, and for the lucky those days stayed as days and they were switched to a different class of work.

 Zitao was one in the unlucky bunch that had been a Worker since birth. Or at least that's what he was told, that he was born here therefore he belonged here for the rest of his days. And today was like any other day. Wake up, work, work some more, eat, and then work until midnight when they were finally allowed to rest. But when the time to eat finally came around it was different.

 Whispers were adamant around the bonfire.

 "His name is Wu Yi Fan, Number 8600."

 Zitao walked towards the fire, a chunk of meat in hand, and looked around as he sat down.

 The new Worker's hair was light, it was between a blonde and a brown, his eyes dark yet alight with something. Somehow he managed to smile, Zitao smirked, knowing that that smile would be gone in a matter of days, if not sooner. Yifan looked mature and young at the same time, or perhaps it was just the ignorance that was obvious on his face. Good luck, Zitao wished him in his thoughts.

 "Tao," Luhan whispered from beside me. Tao liked to think of him as a younger brother because they were insanely close and he couldn't have been older than fifteen, but no one knew his actually age, "he says there's a place."

 "A place?" Zitao whispered back, gnawing at the meat in his hands.

 "Yeah," he sighed wistfully. "He said he's been there, to that place." Zitao looked questioningly at his brother and waited for him to explain. "He keeps telling these stories. These stories of some place. Somewhere different. He said it isn't like this place, he said a light still exists and he keeps mentioning how the skies here aren't blue and grass is supposed to be green not yellow and dry." Zitao scoffed and looked back to the new person. He was certainly older than Tao, but obviously he didn't know anything.

 "He says he can take us there." Tao barely heard the boy's whisper but when he did his ears perked up and he only seemed to have eyes for this Wu Yifan anymore .

 "... said there was never meant to be a place like this. This place is so dull what do you even do here?" the guy laughed, he actually laughed. "I bet I can do it, just like any other challenge, but honestly you people don't talk a lot." He continued to chuckle. Most of the people just stared at him, bewildered. "Why is that, did you all get your tongues cut out?"

 "Yah." Zitao warned, the idiot had no idea how close he was to the truth. Just a few weeks ago their eldest had her tongue cut out because she wouldn't stop talking nonsense. "Would you shut up, this place isn't a joke. This place is a hell hole to put it simply." He grimaced and went back to eating, hoping Yifan would just shut up now. Of course he went on. Spewing about how this place was a joke. Obviously he was lost, thinking that everyone stayed here simply because they wanted.

 Was he that blind? Yes, they all definitely had chosen to stay here. Because they liked sleeping on dirt and being treated as trash. They liked having to walk on with tattered and dirty clothes. And yes they definitely loved the fact that they only bathed a few times a month and when they did the water was nearly ice. Most definitely they all loved to be under the abuse that they were.

 "Like, I just walked in here, why don't you guys just walk back out. I mean I get that those guards are a bit forceful but-"

 "Would you shut the up! You don't know what you're talking about!" Zitao's anger boiled over and the people around him did nothing to stop him from yelling. "There Is No Leaving! And you think you just walked in here? Sorry to break it to you, but this place is a ing prison, you don't just-"

 "Huang Zitao?!" The voice was shrill around the arguing that had laced through their part of the Pit. The bonfire they all sat around crackled in the near darkness. Day had begun to fall without them noticing. "Huang Zitao!" Zitao stood at the sound of his name, confused.

 "I am Number 6080." Zitao's number lingered in the air for a few moments before the guard reached him and took him by the wrist. 

 "Don't even think about resisting." The guard pulled abruptly on his wrist and began to drag him away from the Pit. "You are no longer to be called Number 6080 by request of the Dancers." The people sitting around them seemed just as stunned as Zitao himself. The Dancers. The name was like a timed bomb, it was constantly counting down, but nobody new when the fuse would finally end. And when it did there was no mistake, everything was gone then.

 The day was fleeting. By the time the guard was done dragging Zitao across the encampment the sky was a pitch black. It was terrifying, since he was a kid he wondered if it was really possible for something to be so dark. He had heard tales of stars that were so bright they left a path along ground, and once upon a time the moon wasn't clouded over night after night by ash and dust. There used to be nights where darkness wasn't all that existed, and supposedly there used to be nights where the possibility of being dragged away unwillingly was zero to none.

 That's what was happening now however. As the night swallowed everything torches lit the way to the Dancers' Halo, he was terrified, being dragged toward where only a select few ever went. The shadows waltzing from the torches were mocking him it seemed. With every twitch they made the more he cowered on the inside.

 The Halo would seem to be a magical place. For some it was, it was the best place you could be, you were treated like royalty and the building itself was more like a palace. It made Tao rethink the word encampment. This place was more like a city; it had everything to qualify it as such. Nobody really knew the extent to the entire place but the Dancers and guards. The Farmers knew about the fields, the Workers knew about the Commons, and the Folk and Riders knew about the Caverns. Everyone of course knew about the pit, it was were all meal times were held after all. Zitao himself had never been anywhere else but the Commons and the Pit, he was raised there and for seventeen years that was the only place he had been raised.

 Looked like that was about to change.

 "So, Huang Zitao," the guard let go of his wrist and let him walk on his own. There was no escaping what was going to happen now. "I expect you know what's happening?" The guard didn't wait for a response. "You're going to be on an even tighter leash from now on, with less people to order around the rules get stricter. No longer do you need you number, from now on you're simply Huang Zitao." Tao shivered, not used to hearing his name said so casually, he only ever heard it when he was punished. "And by leash I meant literally," the guard said under his breath, not caring if he heard or not.

 The gates were opened as soon as the pair reached them. No more words were spoken and even if Tao had to say something he had lost the ability to speak. His fear had turned to disgust. As soon as they began to walk up the steps and the tall doors opened before him he reverted to being terrified again. The guard said something to him, a good luck or farewell perhaps but whatever he said Tao couldn't hear it over his own racing heart.

 He nearly jumped when the doors sounded to a close behind him. He was alone. In the Halo.

 It was something he'd never seen in his life. Floors of granite so clean they held his reflection. A ceiling so high up even the tallest ladder wouldn't reach it. Lights made of diamonds that hung from the ceiling in dangerous loops. Ornate designs twirled across the bright white walls and flowers grew everywhere. The sound of a piano playing was heard faintly from somewhere of in the distance and besides that the ominious clicking of a grandfather clock threatened from the other side of the room. Looking around this single room was nearly bigger than the entire Pit. Couches, something Tao had never had the privilege to sit upon, were centered around a fireplace that leaped across the wall. Two great staircases wound their ways up to another level of the mansion and hallways were on either side of the room leading to who knows where. Curtains hung elegantly from the wall length windows and were the same red as the sofas.

 "Huang. Zi. Tao." His name echoed across the room and he flinched. Heels clicked along the floor and suddenly a woman stood before him. She wasn't nearly as beautiful as the people in the portraits that sat on the walls, but she was pretty none the less. "You are," she started, her blue eyes flickering to his before she took him in entirety, "something." She her lips with the last words and she winked at him seductively. She touched his shoulder before pulling away with a hiss as if she'd been stung by a wasp. "But you are also ridden with dirt now aren't you." She turned away and began walking towards the left corridor. "Come," she ordered, "let's get you cleaned up, shall we?" There was nothing he could do but follow, hating himself for being good enough to land himself on this place. Maybe if I refuse to shower, they'll make me leave, he thought half-jokingly.

 After a walk down to the end of the corridor the woman opened the door on their right and shoved Tao inside. Again, he was alone. Or at least that's what he thought. Three young girls, who he assumed to be maids, rushed over to him and began fussing over how beautiful he would look without all of the dust, bruises, and scars all over him. Saying they would at least be able to take care of his cleanliness they grabbed hold of his arms and dragged him further into the room, passing through a lace curtain and into a room almost completely of mirrors. The walls all reflected him and the three girls.

 It had been so long since he'd seen himself.

 The woman before had been right, he was dirt ridden. He was practically covered in mud in sweat, exhaustion was evident on his face and his brow seemed to have a permanent furrowed. And his hair. It was terrible, matted and covering his forehead, looking so greasy it was a wonder he never noticed, but perhaps that was because he lived like this, like filth. Like worthless, tortured filth, he reminded himself seeing the scars that littered his back and arms, only a single lash had been put to his chest and ironically enough, it wrapped right around his heart. He dragged a finger across it, losing himself in the memory.

 "Don't touch him! Don't you dare!" Tao had only been thirteen then, it was four years ago. The guard glared at him from where he stood, a growl escaping his lips as he held the whip above the boy cowering below him. Luhan couldn't do anything but crouch there, shell-shocked and shaking from the bone-cracking punch that had caused him to fall to the ground blood dribbling from his nose. Taking a dangerous step towards Luhan, Tao raised his fist threateningly. The guard just laughed and raised his fist again, aiming for one of Luhan's eyes this time.

 "He has to learn," the guard cackled, enjoying the fear that lit up the eyes of everyone watching. "But you already knew that didn't you, Number 7940? You knew what was coming." Luhan whimpered as the whip snapped when the guard flicked his wrist.

 "I said don't touch him damn it!" Luhan was basically Tao's little brother. Even when they grew apart they ended up being brothers later on again. So of course he jumped the guard. Plowing into him and knocking him over as if he was just a bowling pin was easier than he had thought it would be. The muscle he'd gained since he was little added up and now he was stronger than the guard. Or at least he could hold more brunt than the guard. The guard was swift to knock Tao's legs out from under him and released the grip he was held in. Flipping them over the guard punched him and Luhan could only watch, knowing that this was what Tao had chosen, he would face the consequences. Everyone knew that Tao knew the consequences.

 Tao's screams rung throughout the Commons. The guard had everyone clear out to the Pit so the two would have the floor to themselves. It was torture, whips, fists, and teeth attacking Tao all at once. It would seem like the two of them but really it was just the guard and a lifeless body.

 Tao wasn't dead but he had given up on living.

The girls giggled as one of them tore the clothing off of him breaking him from his thoughts as he reminisced. He was fully exposed now and the girls about how it was ridiculous to be so shy around them- they would get even more intimate than this. Rather than a cold shower, a warm bath was made for him, the shining white surface of the tub the only other thing in the glass room. Bubbles surrounded him and laughter echoed from the reflections in the room. The girls toyed with him, teasing his hair and running their hands across his torso.

 They had no shame, equally as as he was and practically rubbing themselves against him. Any normal man would've found it arousing, but Tao just couldn't find it in himself to be attracted to the girls sitting beside him. They'd introduced themselves as they'd stripped down in front of him. The tallest one of them, with her silky, black hair falling down to her waist introduced herself as Taera. None of them knew their real names, they admitted to this much, so they had named each other. The second, who had taken the only pride Tao had left by ripping that cloth from him, was Mimi. She was pretty, light brown curls rolling down just past her shoulders and a happy glint in her eyes. The last one, the quietest of the three and also the oldest, with short black hair and pink dusted cheeks, was Rin Shikae. The other girls grumbled at her when she gave her first name as well.

 Of course they all knew Zitao's name. And by now they all knew his body too. As much as he hated it the girls did whatever they wanted with their hands, touching him everywhere, trying to be y, but Tao couldn't help but see them as kids. They had to be the same age as Luhan. Without getting a rise out of him, they eventually went to give up and simply cleaned him instead. Mimi rubbed soap into his hair, pulling at it, scrubbing at his scalp, and getting bubbles all over the place, but it worked and by the time Taera was done washing all the ick and grime off of his body, his hair looked normal, like it had when he was a kid.

 As he stood he looked into his reflection. His breath halted. He looked so much different. His skin was tanned for the most part, and water dripped along his abs, and his biceps seemed more defined in the clean light of the bathroom. Hair no longer matted, he was tugged out of the tub, and it dripped down, flat against his forehead. Rin tugged lightly on his arm and they all walked out of the mirrors.

 Mimi giggled and Tao looked over to her suspiciously.

 "We don't have towels here in the Halo." she winked and he felt arms wrap around him from behind.

 Taera whispered into his ear. "But we can be your towels." A shiver crawled up Tao's spine and he prayed she couldn't feel it making its way across his skin.

 Instead of shying away he smirked and simply shrugged her off before whispering into her ear. "Oh, really?" his voice was sultry. "Wouldn't you rather I be yours?"

 Taera blushed and shied away from him making Tao laugh on the inside. It was all just an act. Even being trained and trained to try and be y you still know how to be shy, don't you? Well I guess you are just a maid.  The girls didn't touch him anymore after that and instead just whisked him away to another room. And after that it was just room after room after room, All made of mirrors and glass, each time showing a different reflection of himself. He watched him self form into something else, they cut his hair, dyed it, dressed him in a tux, and covered him in makeup, and so after hours of watching himself transform they were finally done. Seeing himself so handsome and listening to the three girls call him y, hot, and gorgeous at least a thousand times it became easy to forget about being a Worker. It was unusual being in the Halo, It was even more unusual being called an Angel, but somehow it all happened in less than a full day. He was no longer Number 6080. He was Huang Zitao, the Angel who would serve the Dancers.

 The sky was still dark outside, and looking out there, all of the torches out, the world was just an endless oblivion beneath his feet. He wondered, how far away is the Pit, the Commons? How far away is my little brother? But the minute Rin closed the curtain all of those thoughts went away. They disappeared as if they had ever been there in the first place and all Tao knew was the Halo, the life of an Angel, and the orders of the Dancers.

 Mimi and Taera slept on his bed already, their limbs curled within each other as they lay there peacefully. Tao could almost think that they were just innocent children, lead down the wrong path, forced down the wrong path. And they were.

 "They weren't supposed to fall asleep in your room, but I guess they did," Rin murmured from beside him.

 He shrugged. "They're just kids, I'm sure all of that acting wore them out."

 "You know, for a worker you're pretty confident." She gave Tao a sincere smile and he realized at that moment that she wasn't like the other two, she hadn't been acting this whole time. She was shy, innocent, and she honestly enjoyed working here.

 "Well, I've also never met a girl as sincere as you, so I guess we both met a new type of person today." Tao smiled back at her, and she blushed.

 "So," she cleared and walked towards the door, "since your room is occupied tonight why don't you just sleep in my room?"

 He opened his mouth, but then closed it when he couldn't find a reason to object, and nodded.

 "Come on then." He followed her through the hallway and eventually gave up on watching where he was going.

 Rin's room was much smaller than his own. The walls plain, no pictures or curtains, not even a window. A small lamp stood on top of a table in the corner, giving off the only light in the small room. A bed was the only other thing in the room. It was plain and small making Tao feel guilty for receiving a room with such royalties, he had his own bath, one of those fancy diamond lights like the one in the entrance of the mansion, he even had his own fireplace, it was like a house all on its own.

 "You can have the bed," Rin told him as she dragged a blanket off of the bed and put it down on the floor as a makeshift sort of mat to sleep on.

 "No, it's-" But she was already fast asleep, her light breathing now the only sound in the tiny room. He sighed and set himself down on the bed with little reluctance. The bed was much different from the hard ground he had been sleeping on for so long. And it was warm, Oh my gosh it's so warm~ but he couldn't find it in himself to be so comfortable. As the night progressed into morning his thoughts wore on him and he still wasn't asleep.

 He shouldn't be here, he should be in the dirt, Luhan curling himself into a helpless ball against his back, discomfort allowing only a very rough sleep before he woke up and went back to work at the sound of a whip. His throat clenched as he slid out of bed. His sigh disrupted the utter silence and he looked at Rin, sleeping quietly on the ground, cocooned in a blanket and using her arm as a pillow. Her short hair flared out around her, making her look fleeting and beautiful. Yet as much as he thought of her as beautiful, he still didn't find himself attracted to her like he should have been.

 Bending down to pick her up, he slid his arms underneath her and lifted her easily into the air. After making sure she was tucked nicely into bed, a pillow under her head, he took her place on the floor. No blankets, no pillows, just the hard cool ground like it had been back in the Commons. He felt more at rest like this, sleeping like he had as Number 6080. So as Number 6080 he drifted off into slumber and let his dreams overtake him.

 He couldn't help but dream of being back in the Commons. He should be with Luhan, protecting Luhan and the other young Workers. No one else would; they were all to scared. But when Tao found himself protecting everyone else, he only found himself being beaten. "You shouldn't be here," Rin would whisper to him. Then, suddenly, he would be in the Halo, safe, secure.. alone, out of place. 

 No, he shouldn't be in the Commons.

 But he shouldn't be here either.

 And when he thought that, he remembered the tales. The tales of that place. That place where stars still shone, where the grass was green and the air was clean. He remembered that Yifan, the poor idiot, had also mentioned it; he had said he could take them there. Could he really, was there really a way to escape? But with all these questions that Tao had about that place, he soon lost track of his thoughts and went back to dreaming of the Commons, of the Halo, of the war he couldn't stop fighting by himself.


a/n: hai...

Um... yeah..

I have plans for this, although I don't exactly know where those plans are going.

This is based on one of their songs ^3^ (Run, if you didn't figure that out from the lyric quote at the top)

Feel free to tell me what you think ^_^

Thank you~

 

Stalk me on these:

| Facebook | Instagram 1 Instagram 2 |