Call

Now and Then

              Jaemi couldn’t believe what she saw. She eagerly opened it, her fingers trembled as they unlocked her phone. She was so nervous, but also so incredibly happy. She closed her eyes and took a deep breath before reading the message, hoping for the best, only to be crushed by what it said.

              “I want my stuff back.”

              The tears automatically fell uncontrollably as she stared at her phone dismally. She didn’t know what else to say to Hyuk. She didn’t know if she should even say anything.

              She continued to sit on the ground in the dark and cry for a few more minutes before realizing exactly how cold and late it was. She really didn’t want to go back to her apartment, but she didn’t know where else to go, so she just picked a direction and started walking. She couldn’t help but be hyper-aware of the couples walking around. She bit her lip and blinked back her tears. She missed Hyuk so badly. Everything hurt so much.

              She put her head down and continued walking. Before she knew it, she found herself in an unfamiliar part of the city. She never felt so alone before. Not knowing what else to do, she walked into the nearest convenience store and bought a six-pack of soju.

              She sat outside the store and downed a bottle while wondering what Hyuk was doing. She wondered if he was studying, or out with friends, or out with another girl. She couldn’t believe that he really sent that. She wondered how easy it was for him to say that.

              She opened the next bottle as she thought about all the memories she made with Hyuk and the memories she never got to make with him. She didn’t want to believe that it was all over. She wanted to pretend that everything was going to be ok, just like Hongbin said. She choked back a sob, remembering what Hongbin said about Hyuk always loving her. She pictured him sitting across from her, gently consoling her. Without thinking about it, she dialed his number.

-----

              Hongbin waited impatiently for the light to turn green so he could cross the street to get to the convenience store. Suddenly, his phone started ringing. He stared confusedly at the screen and cautiously answered the call.

              “C-can you come? I-I’m alone and I need somebody right now,” Jaemi stammered. Just as he started wondering whether she knew who she was talking to, she added, “Please, Hongbin.”

              He sighed and asked where she was and immediately took a taxi to her. He texted Jaehee to tell her he wouldn’t be able to come by after all. He felt bad for not going to see her, but he had a feeling that Jaemi was in some sort of trouble.

              He arrived at the convenience store she told him to come to and found her crying with two empty bottles of soju in front of her and a half full one in her hand. He let out another sigh and gently removed the bottle from her grip.

              “Jaemi,” he called out softly. She turned to look at him and he noticed the cuts and bruises and how swollen her eyes were. “Holy !” he exclaimed. “Jaemi what happened to you?”

              “Hooongbiiin,” she slurred as she wrapper her arms around his waist. “I’m soooo saaaad. I miss Hyuuuk soooo muuuch.” He softened and put his arms around her.

              “I know you do,” he replied as he gently her hair.

              “I loooove Hyuk. He’s my most faaavorite person eeeever,” she continued. “I juust want to be with him foreeeeever, but heee doesn’t waaant to be with meee and I’m soooo saaad.”

              He brushed away her tears, trying to be careful to not run over the cut under her left eye. “Don’t worry Jaemi. It’s going to be ok. Hyuk does want to be with you. He loves you so much.”

              She roughly pushed him away and glared at him. “Liar!” she shouted. “You’re a liar! He hates me! He wants me to give his stuff back and get out of his life!” She plopped her head on the table and cried harder. Hongbin winced and let her cry it out while he cleaned up the bottles. When he finished cleaning, he went into the store and bought her a water bottle and some bandages. When she finished crying, he helped her put bandages on the cuts all over her body.

              When she sobered up enough to think and speak a bit more clearly, she thanked him. He assured her it was no big deal.

              “I-I don’t know what to do, Hongbin,” she added. “I can’t send back his stuff. It’s all I have left of him.” When he didn’t say anything, she continued, “B-but I know I have to. I have to let him go, but I can’t. I-I cant, Hongbin.”

              He stared at her while she talked and cried. He wondered what exactly happened. She never told him any details, but he imagined that it must have been really bad. He thought back to high school, when Hyuk and Jaemi ignored each other for months. It was uncomfortable for everybody, even people who weren’t friends with them. Hyuk and Jaemi were just meant to be together.

              “Jaemi,” he started. She looked up at him with teary eyes. “Don’t let him go. Fight for him.”

              “How?” she cried. “How do I fight for him when he won’t even acknowledge me anymore?”

              “Well,” Hongbin responded after some thought, “he wants his stuff back right? Then, give it to him.” She stared at him in confusion and he continued, “Go to Boston, give him his things, and get him back.”