Flight

Now and Then

A/N: dialogue in blue means they're speaking in english. hope you guys enjoy! :)

                Jaemi briskly walked through the overly crowded airport, hoping that she hadn’t missed her flight, which her manager conveniently changed without notifying her until the last second. Luckily, people sitting in the coach seats were still boarding. It was then that Jaemi realized that she lost Miyoung, her personal makeup artist and hairstylist, in the crowd of people. Miyoung came running after her with all her bags in hand. The two of them boarded the plane and quickly found their first class seats, failing to notice the celebrities who were sitting behind them.

                Hongbin was scrolling through his iPod, trying to decide which Park Hyoshin song to play first when Ken suddenly tapped on his shoulder and said, “Is that Jaemi?” Hongbin snapped his head up, and sure enough, she was there, standing only a few meters away from him. He stared at her with his mouth hanging open. He hadn’t seen her in person since the day she returned to Korea. Her long, black hair was now shoulder length and a silvery blonde color which suited her really well. Even though she looked really tired, she was still radiant, as if there was a light coming from her. She looked more mature, but at the same time, she looked like she hadn’t aged at all. He wanted to slap himself for thinking that she was still just as, if not even more, beautiful as she was in high school. The only thing that remained the same was that bored, unimpressed look in her eyes. She shoved her suitcase into the overhead bin and sat down two rows ahead of him on the other side of the aisle, in front of Leo and Ravi.

                “No, that can’t be her,” Hongbin lied. Ken believed him and turned his attention back to his comic book, but Hongbin couldn’t help but look at her. She appeared to be talking to the person she was sitting next to.

                “That crowd was crazy!” Miyoung exclaimed to Jaemi. “I wonder why there were so many people today. Usually it’s not this crowded.”

                Jaemi shrugged and answered, “Maybe a lot of people are travelling today.”

                Hongbin couldn’t stop himself from being awestruck by her and he noticed that she caught the attention of many of the males on the plane, with the exception of s because they were falling asleep, already sleeping, or not looking. Hongbin thought about walking by her and making her take a double look at him. She would see him out of the corner of her eye, her jaw would drop, and she would be reminded of the days when he was the hottest guy around. But he was afraid of embarrassing himself if he fell or if she didn’t notice him or, worst of all, if she was with Hyuk. He was dying to know who it was that she kept talking to, why she was on the plane, and all the other stuff that he usually wondered about her.

                “Jaemi, did you take your allergy medication yet?” Miyoung asked her.

                “Oh! No I didn’t! Thanks for reminding me eonni,” she replied before popping the pill into .

                He saw her swallow a pill and he wondered what it was for. Did she just take birth control? Why would she need it? Is she having with Hyuk? He smacked himself for wondering about her life.

                “Oh no, your eyeliner is a bit uneven. Do you want me to fix it for you?” Miyoung asked.

                Jaemi inspected her reflection. “No, it’s fine. It doesn’t really look uneven to me,” she replied. Jaemi gave her a small smile and put her headphones into her ears, her way of saying that she didn’t want to talk anymore.

                As her personal makeup artist and hairstylist, Miyoung made sure that Jaemi always looked good. She also filled in for Jaemi’s terrible manager whenever he wasn’t around, making sure that Jaemi got where she needed to be when she needed to be there. But as her sister-in-law, Miyoung saw it as her duty to act as a real older sister to Jaemi. She did her best to make sure Jaemi was taking care of herself and was always feeling ok, but she knew when to give her space.

                Hongbin saw Jaemi put in her earphones and shut out the rest of the world. He sighed, knowing that he’d never get her attention as long as she was drowning out everybody with her music. He started playing his own music. He watched her read something for a while longer before falling asleep.

                Hongbin was suddenly awakened when Ken shoved his legs and quickly walked to the bathroom. He quietly laughed to himself and tried to go back to sleep, but he was unable to once he heard Ken exclaim, “Oh! Jaemi! It is you! Do you remember me? Ken?” Hongbin slowly opened his eyes and saw Jaemi taking out her headphones and talking to Ken.

                “Of course I remember you, it’s only been a few years…but I guess I can say I hardly recognize you without your glasses and wavy hair,” she replied.

                “Aw, thanks,” Ken blushed. “I thought I saw you when you came in but Hongbin said it wasn’t you. But anyway, how have you been? What are you doing in New York? Are you going to watch our concert?”

                “Oh, um, I’m just going for a final fitting before fashion week starts,” she explained. “I didn’t know you guys were having a concert in New York. I’d love to go if I have time. Is it too late to get a ticket?” She secretly hoped it was too late because she probably could only barely be able to afford the cheapest ticket, which would’ve been super embarrassing.

                “You don’t need a ticket! I can tell the security that you’re clear to come backstage,” Ken offered. Jaemi considered it and accepted his invitation. Ken happily skipped back to his seat and found Hongbin wide awake.

                “Oh? You’re awake? You’re such a liar! That was Jaemi!” Ken shouted. Jaemi turned around and glanced at Hongbin. He looked pretty pissed off and she wondered if going to their concert would be such a good idea after all. She turned back around and continued with reviewing her English. For some reason, she couldn’t totally focus on her lesson. She had watched countless videos of VIXX’s performances and all of their music videos and she never felt anything about Hongbin; in fact, she sometimes watched their videos with Hyuk and it wasn’t weird at all, but knowing that she was sitting only a few meters away from him made things feel weird. Neither of them was sure about what to do. Should they get up and say hi to each other? Should they keep on ignoring each other?

                The plane finally landed, they got off, she waved to Hakyeon and Ken in passing, and then they went their separate ways without ever saying a word to each other.

---

                Hyuk cracked his neck and opened his text book. Before actually even reading a word of it, he checked his phone to see if Jaemi had called or messaged him. He groaned in frustration. Jaemi told him she would video chat with him before she left for New York and he was depending on that to be a viable excuse to procrastinate on his homework.

                He checked the time in Korea and sighed, seeing that it Jaemi’s plane had taken off two hours ago. He went to make himself a cup of coffee and silently cursed her for indirectly forcing him to study. When he returned to his room, he saw that he had a missed call from his girlfriend. He hurriedly put down his coffee, spilling some onto his desk, and called her back.

                He was absolutely thrilled to see her beautiful smiling face on his phone screen.  He waved to her and she giggled and pointed at him. Confused, he turned around and saw his roommate, Aidan, waving back at her.

                “Hey, Jamie. I haven’t seen you in a while. How have you been?” Aidan asked while Hyuk scrunched up his nose and made faces at Jaemi to get her attention.

                “I’m a bit tired from the flight, but it’s nice to see you,” Jaemi replied with what Hyuk thought was an endearing accent.

                “That’s good,” Aidan laughed good-naturedly. “I guess I’ll leave you two to talk. You should visit us sometime,” he added before leaving. Jaemi smiled and waved goodbye to him. Hyuk narrowed his eyes at her.

                “So how have you been?” he asked her as soon as his roommate left.

                 Jaemi scoffed and replied, “Aidan literally asked me that two seconds ago. Weren’t you listening?”

                 “No. Do you really think I pay attention when he talks?” he replied. He didn’t really mean that. Aidan was a really good friend of his, but he was just annoyed that he interrupted his video chat with her.

                 “Fine, I’m tired from the flight,” she repeated. “Oh! Speaking of the flight, you’ll never guess who I saw: Ken! All of the guys were on the flight, but I only talked to Ken. He said they were having a concert in the city and invited me, but I don’t think I’m going to go.”

                 “Really? Why not?” Hyuk asked.

                 She shrugged and tucked her hair behind her ear. Seeing her do that made him want to take a train up to New York to be with her and tuck her hair behind her ears for her, but he had too much schoolwork to do.

                 “So what did you do today?” she asked.

                 “You know, the usual: watched some Naruto and did some homework,” he answered, leaving out the part about waiting for hours for her to call him. She laughed and shook her head disapprovingly.

                 “What a nerd,” she teased. He noticed her eyes subtly fall onto his lips, and he damn near kissed his phone screen because of her. If he was with her, she would’ve leaned in and put her face right in front of his and stare at his lips, waiting for him to kiss her, but he wasn’t with her. He was about 300 kilometers away, which wasn’t nearly as far as he usually was from her, but it was nowhere near being close enough.

                 They continued talking to each other about whatever they could just so that they could hear each other’s voices and see each other’s faces. He showed her his Spongebob impression and she showed him some gifts she got from designers inviting her to their shows or to be their model in the future. It was funny how they could be so compatible together when they were basically polar opposites.

                 All too soon, Miyoung reminded Jaemi that she had dinner plans. Jaemi pouted adorably and so did Hyuk, maybe even more adorably than she did.

                 “Who are you going to dinner with?” he asked to prolong the conversation.

                 “Just Dani, Joohyuk, and maybe Jia. I don’t know if Jia is even coming to New York at all.”

                 “Where are you guys going?”

                 “I think we’re going to a fancy steakhouse. I don’t really know, Joohyuk picked it,” she answered. She was actually very worried that she would go into debt because of this dinner. Not a large debt, but still, her bank account might become negative after tonight.

                 Miyoung called for her again, using a more nagging tone. Jaemi sighed and said, “I guess I should go. Joohyuk is probably going to pick me up soon and I’m just going to be in my sweats.”

                 “He’s picking you up? Wow, he’s a real gentleman,” Hyuk commented sarcastically. Jaemi laughed at his outrageous comment and he added, “Don’t forget to take pictures if you guys make out the car.”

                 Jaemi laughed even harder at him and he smiled to himself, happy that he could make her laugh like that. “Don’t worry, I never forget to take pictures,” she joked back with him. He rolled his eyes at her and she cutely blew him a kiss, which he dodged.

                 “Ya, I’m not going to kiss you ever again if you keep doing that,” she threatened.

                 “Uh huh, sure. We’ll see about that,” he teased, knowing that she would definitely kiss him the next time they saw each other. Around everyone else, Jaemi was unaffectionate and, at times, unapproachable or standoffish, but she was always very cuddly and warm with him, even when she was supposedly mad at him. Jaemi stuck out her tongue at him before ending the video chat. He laughed to himself and said, “I love you too, Jaemi.”