Redemption

The Inner Monster

He stretched his arms as he walked up the stairs to his apartment with his backpack in one hand, it felt better to be home and on solid ground. He took out his key and opened the door, once he entered in he felt the rush of cold air. He shivered slightly as he closed the door.

“I’m not exactly used to the cold anymore.” Jaejoong said to himself, his hair had grown longer and it reached his eyes. He wore reading glasses but took them off and placed them on the counter.

He reached his bedroom door and opened it to see a figure sleeping his bed. “Definitely a nice welcome home present.” He murmured to himself, he took his backpack and proceeded to drop it on the figure.

“Ow!” The figure startled awake. “Who was-Jaejoong?!” He grinned. Jaejoong smiled back in return. “You were suppose to come tomorrow.”

“And I’m assuming that’s why the house is a mess.” Yunho smiled sheepishly.

“I was planning on cleaning it up.”

“I’m sure.” Jaejoong flipped the hair from his eyes. Just then Yunho’s stomach growled. “And already I’m put to work.”

“Sorry.” Yunho said as he got up and followed Jaejoong to the kitchen. “You know, I guess because we’ve been emailing often that I didn’t think anything changed. But seeing you live in person, there’s a different air around you.”

“Really?” Jaejoong asked as he started to cook.

“Yes, like for the first time I’ve seen you prepare a meal.”

“You learn when you have no other choice.” Jaejoong answered, Yunho smiled. He watched as Jaejoong prepared the food.

“You liked the exchange then?”

“Yes.”

“I hope so, you missed our graduation by two days.” Yunho complained, he then looked up at him. “Did it work out for yourself?”

Jaejoong nodded. “Definitely learned a lot about myself.”

“Like what?” Yunho leaned in, Jaejoong didn’t respond and continued cutting. “That habit still hasn’t changed.” He muttered. He watched as Jaejoong make a type of fried rice, except it seemed to contain a little of everything from the fridge.

“It is edible.” Jaejoong stated, Yunho nodded as he looked at his serving reached his plate.

“I don’t doubt it.” He tapped his fingers on the counter. “Ah, did you read my last email?” Yunho asked excitedly. Jaejoong slowly chewed his food. “Read it?” Jaejoong nodded slowly. “What do you think? Willing to do it?”

Jaejoong gave a weak smile. “Your best man? Not sure if I can.”

“You have to, there’s no one else.” Yunho stated as he ate his own food, Jaejoong looked down. Yunho’s phone rang and he picked up. “Hey,” He said, he nodded while listening. “I’ll come right away then. Thanks, bye.” He closed the phone and sighed.

“Fiancee calling you?” Jaejoong asked, Yunho shook his head.

“I have to pick up something, looks like they can’t reach her cell.” He shrugged as he ate the last bit of food. “I’ll see you, promise.” He said as he grabbed his keys and walked out the door.

Jaejoong sighed as placed the dishes in the sink, he became lost in thought. Today had been his test to see how his recovery was going. He had since called it that since Yoochun’s term of rehabilitation stuck on.

That email nearly toppled everything he worked so hard for, being best man at his wedding. Flattering yet hurtful, this man didn’t realize he was recovering from his addiction. And here he was about to hurdle him down that spiral once more.

He recalled his disbelief that Yunho would keep his promise to email him often, as it always seemed to fall through since he met her. He started to feel guilty for not answering his emails daily though he could. He had to, how else could he learn to let him be. Despite his recovery’s intentions, it didn’t mean his feelings for him have gone. He knew that as soon as he saw him, his heart reacted as it always had.

He maintained his composure as he mentioned his fiancee, and managed to when Yunho leaned in towards him. It still affected him it seemed, his body was wary of any movements Yunho made.

There had been one looming question that had bothered him as the days neared when he would return. And it was answered, he wondered if once the talk of the wedding had surfaced would he feel the green-eyed monster rage from his slumber and take over his well-being as before. The tears, the anger, the anguish he had once felt, yet it was tamed and somewhat reluctant. His heart hadn’t completely healed, but as many things out there it’s a process. At least Yoochun states so.

He finished the dishes and walked over the kitchen table. He slumped in his seat. “One day at a time.” He told himself, “One day.”

He took out his sketchbook from his bag and looked through his drawings. He watched as gradually the dark pictures became slightly more hopeful, more cheerful as the days went on. And here he was today, closer to being as stable as he ever can be. That was the most he could hope for, he knew that it’d never be completely done so with Yunho in his life.

He loved him despite their distance. How he hoped for it to disappear, to fade, to let them continue on as normal friends should. And instead it seemed to return as strong as ever. It backfired completely on him, but he suspected it. He matured and was ready to take on challenges, Yunho would always be his heart’s greatest challenge and he knew that.

Jaejoong heard his phone ring, he glanced at it and answered the phone. “Yunho?”

“...”

“Yunho?” Jaejoong furrowed his eyebrows, “Yunho, are you alright?” Jaejoong heard hints of gasping in the background, the type when a person was crying. “Yunho?! What’s wrong?”

“J-Jaejoong.” He said weakly.

“Yunho? What’s wrong?” Jaejoong asked.

Yunho barely made a audible whisper, “It’s over.”

“What’s over? What happened?” No answer. “Yunho, answer me.”

Jaejoong heard him take in a huge breath of air to calm himself. “She lied to me all this time.”

“Who did?”

Yunho said calmly. “She was having an affair.”