A Little Push

Last Chance

For the next few days, Jinwoo and Seunghoon trailed behind the YG peeps, shooting footages, cheering together when the two guerrila concerts in Shibuya and Harajuku turned out to be a massive success.

Fashion enthusiasts always stuck together, so Seunghoon always ended up interviewing Taehyun ("What's your fashion point today? Can you give us tips on finding the perfect scarfs for guys?") and Jinwoo was in charge of Mino (“How did you practice pronouncing English for rapping? What inspired you to write a rap on rubber ducks?"). 

With Mino was busy practicing with Taehyun everyday, matching his rap to the DJ beats, Jinwoo was similarly occupied with writing interview scripts and doing various editing with Seunghoon. They managed to publish one long article online to YG Press, which was highly praised by fans for its amazing photographic quality and apt musical analysis. They also released an artistic-looking teaser for NAMSONG TV Season 2, which became an instant hit in the YG Youtube channel.

Their days in Tokyo passed by in a flash and when Mino woke up one morning, it was already the day before they were bound to fly back to Seoul. He rubbed his eyes and yawned. At 7.30AM sharp, the doorbell of Room 2715 rang. Mino shuffled his feet and opened the door and got a slight shock when Lee Seunghoon stormed in, already dressed up for the day in a bright orange sweater and dark brown brogues. 

“Wait, do we have a schedule today?” The rapper looked around, confused.

Seunghyun, who already started packing his luggage, looked up and said, “Oh, you’re here.”

Taehyun sat up on his bed. “Great, great. Song Mino, sit there.” He pointed to the window ledge.

“Why should I - ?”

“Just sit there!” Everyone shouted in unison.

Mino dragged his feet while complaining audibly, “You guys are only nice to me when Jinwoo is around…”

Seunghoon cleared his throat. “Actually, I made my way up here especially to talk to you about Jinwoo. I know you are madly in love with my super adorable dongsaeng (Mino’s jaw dropped) and I see that you are actually a decent guy. But since you’re a scaredy-cat, we’re gonna help you out a little bit.”

The rapper wanted to say something, so Taehyun and Seunghyun clamped his mouth.

The reporter continued, “Thanks guys. Anyway, tonight I’m gonna send Jinwoo up to this room, and you can confess to him, yada yada.”

Mino managed to struggle his way out and shouted at his friend and manager, “Hellooo! Why are you guys abusing an injured person! Anyway, Seunghoon-hyung,” Mino scratched his messy morning hair, "I have been waiting for a chance to confess too, but but but, what if Jinwoo rejects me? I don’t think I can live on anymore,” He half-sobbed and sulked in his corner.

Taehyun rolled his eyes, “He won’t reject you, pabo. He likes you too.”

“Really?” Mino turned to his friend and smiled brightly, “How did you know?”

Sighing, Seunghyun waved his hand around. “Hoonie and Taehyun asked him before. So the plan is that we’re gonna stay over in Seunghoon’s room tonight and you have this room to yourself, but try not to go outside or make lots of noise, okay? We need to hide this from YG - well, from everyone else basically.”

Taehyun plopped himself on his bed. “And don’t do anything on my bed.”

Seunghyun followed suit. “Not mine, too.”

The rapper mumbled, “You’re not gonna use those beds tomorrow anyway…”

Seunghoon screamed, “No! You’re gonna do NOTHING with Jinwoo involving beds, you hear me! NOTHING!”

 

***

 

To avoid the crowd, the five of them met up for an early dinner at a small cosy ramen shop. Jinwoo had to cut gyoza into halves for Mino, who said "thanks Jinwoo-yah" in super exaggerated aegyo. The three other guys just kept sending glances and elbowing each other every time the rapper asked Jinwoo to feed him something because "Look! My left wrist is still swollen!"

Afterwards, they walked back together to the hotel, all wearing caps or beanies and masks. People were staring, curious as to the rare sight of five tall and well-proportioned men roaming around Tokyo streets.

Jinwoo was confused, "Why do we have to do this too?"

"Hyung, can he take off his mask? It must be so uncomfortable for him! Mino pleaded with his manager.

Seunghyun shook his head. "No, no. You, me and Namtae need to hide our faces and it will be weirder if only half of us wear masks."

Jinwoo said resignedly, "Okay, fine." Mino took his hand and squeezed it apologetically. Jinwoo looked at the taller man and shook his head as if saying “I'm okay", and held Mino's hand tighter.

They took the lift together, and at the 25th floor, the two reporters said "See you!" and tried to get off the lift with difficulty, carrying Seunghoon's numerous shopping bags. 

Taehyun said, "Hyung, I'll go to your room later to inspect your shopping loot!" Seunghyun also chimed in, "Me too!" And the lift door closed. 

Mino stared curiously at his manager. "Since when are you so interested in fashion?"

"Since never. We're just finding excuses to leave our room later so Jinwoo doesn't get suspicious, buddy." Seunghyun poked Mino's waist.

"OUCH!"

 

*** 

 

At around 9PM, Jinwoo already tucked himself in his blanket, with black slacks and white loose sleeping t-shirt. His things were already neatly packed and he was browsing for the latest episode of Running Man in his laptop. Mino did not reply to his last text half an hour ago, so he assumed the rapper was already sleeping.

Seunghoon, who said that they did not need to work for tonight, already texted Taehyun and Seunghyun to come down for a mini-fashion show, and Jinwoo just intended to stick to his side of the room for some peace and quiet.

The doorbell rang, and Seunghoon scooted over excitedly. “Guysss, come in, come in, sorry our room is so tiny…”

“Nah, don’t worry, our first dorm was even worse - oh my gawd is that vintage Yohji Yamamoto coat? And the new arrival Commes des Garcons tees? Hyunggggg why didn’t you tell me you were going shoppinggggg!!” Taehyun started whining and sulking.

Jinwoo yawned. He barely watched 5 minutes of his favourite variety show when Seunghoon tapped his shoulder in panic. “Jinwoo-yah, we haven’t done the last interview!”

The younger jumped, equally shocked, “What interview? I already completed everything on my list.”

“No, there’s still the ‘Last Day in Tokyo’ interview!”

Scratching his head, Jinwoo said, “What’s that? It’s not on my checklist and I don’t have the script!”

The older said, “Just go and get an interview with Mino before he falls asleep. You only need to ask about how he’s feeling and whether he will miss Tokyo, blah blah, just improvise! Go go go!”

“Is Mino even still awake?”

Seunghyun answered, “He should be! He was writing lyrics when we left just now.”

Jinwoo grabbed his things and rushed out. “Okay I’ll go upstairs now! You guys have fun!”

Taehyun chuckled, “No, Jinwoo-yah, you have fun!” His manager and Seunghoon burst out laughing.

Kim Jinwoo pulled up his grey hoodie and tied the strings around his face tightly, before ringing the doorbell of Room 2715. A familiar deep voice answered, “Give me a sec!”, before the door opened and Mino’s head popped out, “Come in!”

 

*** 

 

Mino was pacing back and forth in his room alone. His manager and friend just left the room. Taehyun almost lighted up lavender-scented candles to add a romantic touch, but Seunghyun blew up, “Are you crazy? You’re gonna trigger the fire alarms!” So eventually they settled with switching on an orange-scented electric aromatherapy diffuser from MUJI. 

Seunghoon just texted him too, saying “Good luck, but if you do anything funny without Jinwoo's consent I'm gonna chop your beautiful nose off”.

When the bell rang, Mino was still opening the curtains to reveal the sight of Tokyo Tower with its lights on. He rushed to open the door and welcomed Jinwoo in with a big smile as usual.

“Ohhh your room smells so nice! And Tokyo Tower! So pretty!” Jinwoo said dreamily.

“Next time let’s travel together to Eiffel Tower, it looks really pretty in pictures too!” Mino said, while trying to shake out the nervousness from his system.

“Yes, hopefully I can tag along when you have your world tour in the future!” Jinwoo laughed and set up his camera. He sat on the edge of Mino’s bed, which was nearest to the window, and gestured at the other to sit on a chair in front of him. “Sorry to disturb your lyric-writing session, but I need to do one last interview with you. Let me do a test-shot first with you and Tokyo Tower as a background. Hmm...”

Mino sat down and took a deep breath. “I’m ready.”

“Just relax,” Jinwoo smiled encouragingly, “I’ll start recording in one, two, three! Okay, so, Mino-ssi, this is your last night in Tokyo. Any last words for your Japanese fans?”

“You guys have been really amazing and I’m really thankful.”

Jinwoo frowned and mouthed, “That’s it?” The rapper gave a slight nod.

“Yes, you indeed received a lot of amazing support from your loyal fans and I’m sure you gained many new fans too! How do you feel about leaving Tokyo?"

“I’m sad and scared.”

“Is there any particular reason why you are feeling that way?” Jinwoo continued, with genuine concern in his face.

Mino took another deep breath before saying in a serious tone, "I found someone very important in Tokyo, and I'm scared to death that I'm gonna lose him the moment both of us leave this place. I have only met him for a week, but I can only be truly happy if I am with him.”

Not giving the other any chance to respond, Mino stood up from his chair and gently took away Jinwoo’s camera, turned it off and placed it on his chair carefully.

Thorougly surprised, Jinwoo stood up and made a move towards his camera. “What are you - "

Mino held Jinwoo's hands gently and stared straight into the pair of huge surprised eyes. "Kim Jinwoo, if I don't say these words now, I think I'm gonna regret it for the rest of my life. Ever since I met you, I had been really really happy. It’s the kind of happiness that is so overwhelming until I can’t even put it into lyrics. I'm still sorry that our relationship started with my lying about my name, but - I - I like being with you and I hope you can stay by my side forever.” He could feel Jinwoo’s hands shaking and his own hands started trembling too beyond his control.

Jinwoo gulped, but managed a small smile although no words came out from his mouth. He looked down and chose to stare at Mino’s eye-catching bandaged wrist instead.

By now, Mino felt a hundred times more nervous than he was at his debut stage. He said, "I'm not forcing you to do anything, alright, if you need time to think - “

Jinwoo shook his head slowly. "Why would I? I like you too Mino-yah, more than I've ever liked anyone else, but I don’t want to cause you any trouble. What if Taehyun and Manager Choi feel uncomfortable? I heard you have to work with them for the next year at least because of your NamSong collab plan...“

Mino’s heart was suddenly filled with relief. “What? Uncomfortable? Nooo! They were the ones who pushed me to confess to you!” He drew Jinwoo closer into a hug. “Oh gosh, for a moment I thought you were gonna say you didn't like me. Soooo, is that a yes?”

Jinwoo looked up and stared into the taller’s eyes. “If that’s true, then it’s an absolute yes.”

“Is that why you always flinch when I hug you in front of them? Because you’re worried they don’t like it?”

The reporter nodded with a rueful smile. Mino hugged him and said softly, “Next time just ignore them. Just ignore everyone else’s feeling and only care about mine.”

“I will, Mino-yah.”

 

***

 

Two floors below, Seunghyun and Taehyun were sitting on a nearly-exploding yellow suitcase.

A visibly distressed Seunghoon was trying his best to zip up his own suitcase, which was b with clothes and shoes.

Taehyun complained, “Can’t you put some stuff in Jinwoo’s luggage?”

The reporter was pulling the zip with all his might and replied, “I did! I already stuffed two coats and a few sweaters in there! Wait, I think I can do this - I can do this! Phew, finally!” He fanned his face with a brochure. “Thanks, you guys are awesome.”

Seunghyun said, “By the way, do you think the two kids are doing okay upstairs?”

Taehyun plopped himself on a bed and casually replied, “Well, if he failed, Mino would have called me and cried.”

“Jinwoo would have called me too,” Seunghoon added, “So I think they should be fine. Now, let’s stop worrying about them and sleep. We have to wake up earlier for breakfast tomorrow.”

 

***

 

Jinwoo’s heart was doing a little dance as he was sitting down on Mino’s bed, facing the window, with his boyfriend right beside him. He leaned his head on Mino’s shoulder and caressed the latter’s still-inflamed wrist.

“Keep your eyes open, Jinwoo-yah. Look at the Tower.”

“Hmm? Why?” Jinwoo just finished his sentence when the lights of Tokyo Tower went off in a mere second. “Oh!”

Mino hugged him tightly. “Someone told me that if we watch Tokyo Tower lights being switched off, we will always be together forever.”

“You’re so cheesy,” Jinwoo sighed playfully, although secretly feeling happy at the thought of being together with his first boyfriend for a very long time.

Mino turned Jinwoo’s chin and pulled off the strings of his grey hoodie, revealing Jinwoo’s perfect, unblemished face. He moved his face closer until the tips of their noses were brushing against each other and asked teasingly, “Oh, so you don’t like it?”

Jinwoo whispered, “I never said that,” before tilting his head a little and letting their lips touch for the first time.

And everything in their world was perfect.