. Chapter 3

Limits of control

As we finished an overly awkward and full of tension lunch, we made our way towards a cozy space in the vast garden where a few couches and tables were scattered around beautiful flowers, the way old movies would portrait the garden of an aristocrat. Mi Hi asked Larissa, her newly discovered Brazilian maid for biscuits, since we would have tea so Kai and her mother could catch up. The invitation was intentionally made for the three of us, but Geon Suk tagged along just to feel Kai's mother up a little bit more, which i honestly thought was disgusting and Eun Hee tip toed behind us, maybe simply to annoy her mother a bit more. I actually liked to think it was out of curiosity. 

Mi Hi sat on the big couch, that in any other home would be to rest at the living room, but in this excessively wealthy home was being used as garden chairs. Her husband sat right next to her, making his way up and down her tight with his hands, something i could sense made Eun Hee cringe. I tried my best to tear my eyes off of the young girl, seeing it was actually kind of rude to be ogling at my mate's sister.

'' Isn't the weather great today, Kyung Soo? '' Kai's mom said smiling at the sun, completely forgetting she was being almost violated by the hand of her new husband '' You know we bought this house a long time ago because we wanted to escape the city a bit, we needed to be in contact with the beautiful nature  ''

'' Ah nature, that lovely lady to whom we owe polio, leprosy, smallpox, syphilis, tuberculosis and cancer '' Eun Hee added, making me and Kai unconsciously tear up. Mi Hi glared at her while Geon Suk smiled, gazing hungrily at the legs of his step daughter, something to which i would have gagged if i wasn't in public. 

'' Anyways, how has my son been? '' she questioned Kai completely ignoring her daughter 

'' Nothing much, i have been doing well, studying my off, getting awesome marks, going to tennis practice every once in a while.. '' He had forgotten the part where he went to uncountable parties, banged every woman on campus and was a frequent client of the dealer behind our apartment complex. 

'' You make your mother so proud '' She said laughing '' What about girls? Is anyone worth my knowing in your sights? '' 

'' Well '' He tried saying, nudging me a little '' I have kept to myself this whole time, since it's important to graduate first and i want to find the right girl '' The typical answer of a wonderful son, what a joke. 

'' I see, don't forget your father and i want many grandchildren soon '' She laughed making me spill my drink. Not a smart move. Eun Hee and Kai looked at me with amusement, while their mother tensed trying to ignore my bad manners not looking at me. 

'' I never knew dead people could talk '' Kai's sister intervened 

'' Would you please stop attacking me in front of Kyung Soo ? '' Mi Hi scolded exasperated '' And how has Kyung Soo been? '' 

'' Fine, studying hard like Kai...trying to ignore the obnoxious people you find at university ''  That part was true, many rich kids like Kai came to our university, many trying to show off their poor knowledge in poetry, trying to look smart for the girls in my class, something i didn't take lightly. 

'' But dear, don't forget good acquaintances can get you anywhere, be smart and don't dismiss them so easily '' She said with her typical business like mind, completely setting me off. I was pretty sure Kai's biological father was simply another piece of her chess for her. I knew she didn't come from any respectful household, and she was simply lucky when she met her former husband.

'' Writing doesn't require the quantity of greedy people business does, he has talent and a college degree, he isn't heading in a bad path '' Kai said, ruffling my hair as if i was his younger brother. As if. 

'' Well i suppose so...'' Mi Hi shrugged '' We know famous writers who could help you, maybe one of these days we could call them to meet you now that you are staying with us ''

 Kai's family was well known for making favors to people, no matter how big, something that always made them hover over his family like hungry wolves. What not many could see was that they never did it without other intentions, their generous fame was just a game in their minds and you needed to be very careful with what you wished for, just like the mafia, or a genie to say it in a lighter way. 

'' You know famous people mom, not talented. The success of many books is due to the affinity between the mediocrity of the author's ideas and those of the public '' Eun Hee commented. Ignoring the negativity of her mom towards her ideas, i nodded, agreeing with her. I have read great books of people who were dismissed by the public and reviewers, just because they didn't fit the ideas of the general public. It was the same as what happened to books in dictatorships, they burned them because their ideas were provocative and didn't fit what dictators wanted to feed the public with. 

Seeing the bad ambience her daughter was creating and how anxious her husband was to finally touch her, she coughed  '' I am not feeling very well right now, i think you will have to continue without us '' She said grabbing Geon Suk hand who finally seemed interested in something '' I will meet you for dinner later, it was a pleasure seeing you again Kyung Soo ''

Kai glanced at his sister and i wondered if she ever felt guilty about dismissing her mother so much. Indeed she was very smart, and her witty comments were very interesting and amusing, but i wondered what was about her that seemed so off.

'' You did a good job at scaring her off '' He commented

'' I don't know what you expected considering what happened and the fact she has kept me alone in this house all this time dismissing my very existence '' 

They often spoke in a way which seemed as if they were giving cryptic messages to each other i could not understand.

'' Bunyan spent a year in prison, Coleridge was a drug addict, Poe was an alcoholic, Marlowe was killed by a man he was trying to stab, Pope took a large sum of money to keep a woman's name out of a vicious satire and then wrote it so that she could be recognized anyway, Chatterton killed himself, Somerset Maugham was so unhappy in his final thirty years that he longed for death. Why you still want to be a writer Kyung Soo? ''  She asked me with a grin which i returned with a laugh. 

'' Seems like someone is trying to show off her knowledge. Are you interested in Kyung Soo? '' Kai smirked

'' I thought you would realize sooner... '' She said smiling sweetly at him '' It's been a while since i got laid '' 

He laughed like a manic while i tried to contain the heat i felt on my cheeks. To tell the truth her comments tended to make me anxious and sometimes uncomfortable. She seemed way too comfortable in her own skin, saying whatever she pleased as if traditional norms were just an annoyance. To this point other people would have considered her extremely rude, and i wouldn't argue with them for doing so, but somehow, although it sometimes was upsetting, her behavior didn't bothered me as much as it sparked my curiosity. Maybe those were my writer instincts, thirsty for a good story.

'' Amelia, my always foreign psychologist, thinks it's good anyway. She says it prevents me from ing things up '' She suddenly gave me a girly smile '' Not in the figurative way of course '' 

'' Let's not forget she is the same woman who thought giving you pills was the instant way to your happiness '' Kai snarled, just like his sister

'' I know. Everyone is tense now. They try to act as normal as possible around me, like i was a freaking tickling time bomb, waiting to see when i will blow up again so i can be locked up yet again '' she looked at me straight in the eyes, making me want to flinch '' It's somehow sickeningly sweet '' 

I was still impressed by how normally they spoke about such an uncomfortable and hard to face topics. I wondered how a family that always seemed like they tried to conceal every little ugly aspect of their lives in front of people was so carefree around me. It was another thing that proved me they wanted something else rather than my unnecessary company. Of course i don't know why they would give me such an unfortunate ' gift '; I guess it was their way of dealing with people who weren't exactly in their social status as them. They thought they provided me some sort of benefit, while to me in was just another problem i had to deal with. It's not nice keeping secrets, less if they are of someone else, and much lesser if people constantly ask you about that. No matter who is it, let it be my parents, friends, future s, they would always ask me about Kai and his perfect family and i was on the uncomfortable position of deciding which side should i tell. The dark and bad, or the overly nice and perfect side. I wished they would treat me like any other acquaintance of them, and simply buy me off with money. 

'' I already prepared myself to the cruel truth that to make a classic you need to be painfully tortured your whole life, to gain the attention of the public when you die. It's an unfortunate way of being remembered and quoted on Harvard, but i guess it pays off later '' 

'' I am not sure it will pay YOU off ...maybe your grandchildren '' Kai said smirking

'' Oh please, a classic is something everyone wants to have read, but doesn't want to read '' Eun Hee commented

'' Or you could be original, be involved on a massive scandal, let everyone you know hate you with such a passion that you will be known everywhere '' Kai encouraged 

'' That's right, be a murderer of the good, a of pure s, steal at church, drink vodka in the morning, set a school on fire and sing communist songs in the middle of a busy Seoul street '' Eun Hee said, already greatly amused '' Or follow the wise, encouraging words of Geon Suk :Whatever you may be sure of, be sure of this: that you are dreadfully like other people, and simply disappear in oblivion '' 

The three of us were laughing by then. For being so young Eun Hee sure knew how to use her words. Something definitely stood up in her personality and that was the carefree sensation she left with her words. Everything her brother did or said seemed planned and based on a certain way of education, while she was unpredictable and wasn't afraid of making someone uncomfortable or mad, something that made you forget how uncomfortable or mad she made you. 

We were comfortably talking when Larissa came over and whispered something to Kai's ear. He nodded and while she walked off , he softy patted her . 

Eun Hee face fell with angriness '' I thought you were better than that. I actually like her, when no one comes to visit they are my family. I would appreciate if you stop molesting my family '' She said immediately changing the comfortable atmosphere.

In one of the rare moments were cold blooded Kai was nervous, he took the chance to deliver the news she had told him and change the topic               '' Chan Yeol has arrived ''  He simply said, looking everywhere while standing up and tugging me along to the front door. 

Chan Yeol stood by the door, with an overly confident aura, still with his sun glasses on and his hands coolly resting on his pockets 

'' Finally, i thought you would end up coming by noon at this rate '' Kai joked patting his shoulders

'' Sorry, i am not a speed manic like someone '' He said smirking '' Hello to you too, Kyung Soo '' 

I nodded. I was a man of short words. He looked past me and a wide smile appeared on his face, it seemed as if his cheeks would fall off. He instantly opened his arms as the small body of Eun Hee collapsed into them. A kiss following after.