. Chapter 1

Limits of control

The hall of Seoul National University filled itself with noisy students that made their way towards the big entrance, everyone overly excited for the end of the second semester. I sat on a table of the cafe in front of it, admiring and somehow scolding the energy the youngsters presented.

I was waiting for someone who, as usual, was fashionably late. It was one of the disadvantages of his personality, as well as a trademark. Kim Jong In, or Kai as many people around campus usually called him, was a rich kid from a wealthy family of the south of Seoul who had founded one of the most prestigious technology companies of South Korea, and the world, as well as a very particular fellow. 

Many people didn't understand how two very different personalities could have sparked such an interesting friendship. Kai was a really eccentric man, full of perks and twists, you never got to know him completely. He was studying business management, just like his father, grandfather and great-grandfather had done and was overly ambitious, sociable, powerful, intelligent and  generous. Just to mention his good traits. He obviously had another side, much more greedy, competitive, unforgiving, calculating and cold. Altogether he was a box full of surprises, with a twisted sense of humor and too much money and time on his hands. 

On the contrary, i was a much more discrete person, i never spoke louder than how i should, i never cracked an inappropriate joke or showed off my personal traits. I was more serious, but my intentions were, most of the time, good. Sometimes you could doubt that about Kai. I was taking language and literature, investing my soul, but definitely not my pockets; But my family was an upper mid class family, the only way i could possibly enjoy my collage life without worrying about how much money i could make as a writer. 

Of course in some sense we were also similar. I must say not everything i did wasn't carefully thought. Relationships, words and actions sometimes had the need to be planned if i wanted to have some kind of success in the future. It's a natural instinct of humans to search for the best option to fulfill our desires. Still, i was yet to know exactly what Kai saw on me to be in such a comfortable friendship. The truth was that i wasn't his friend just because he was good looking. He had great amounts money, connections and wasn't afraid to loan cash if it could become an investment in the future. I just had to follow him silently, laugh at his jokes, return his favors, gain his trust through  secrets, listen well  and eventually make him feel like we had a connection.

I was getting lost in my mind again when suddenly a hand hit my back lightly. I turned around and saw Kai with his trade mark smirk and a medium sized travel bag hanging from his arm. 

The reason why we were with travel bags was because Kai had invited me over to his country house for summer vacation; a beautiful, fairly old but glamorous mansion secluded from everything but close enough to a small town on the country side. I was going to stay with him and his family. Although i had already met some of them for Christmas, this time Kai had told me it was going to be especial, he still hadn’t told me why

His family was the epitome of rich tv drama families. There was no difference between watching a drama and seeing them, except maybe the fights were less public and usually were behind each other’s back. They were all hungry for the money of his late father and grandfather left, always spoke with a breath of superiority and a sarcastic yet very elegant and formal way. Together they had fun on a quite cynical sense, although to me, just observing them made me have lots of fun. 

'' So, are we ready kyungie? ''

I nodded and grabbed my bag as he leaned his arm on my shoulder like he usually did since i was ridiculously short for being a college student, something that bothered me just as much as how he always did that which seemed like an intentional way to accentuate our height difference.

His glamorous old sports car was awaiting us, and i couldn't help but feel a bit self-conscious while getting inside, since every student passing by took their time to admire the sight. Kai never took off his smug smirk, letting me know he seemed to enjoy the attention. 

His home was just three hours apart from the main campus, and since every rich kid i knew had a bit of a speed maniac within him, we were probably going to get there pretty quickly. When we got there, we would meet with another student and acquaintance that was going to spend the summer with us, Park Chan Yeol. He was a distant cousin of Kai and a forever overly excited and happy friend. He lived his life with an amused grin plastered on his face and it made me wonder if that was actually genuine or not. Maybe my suspicions were just funded over the fact we were completely opposites as i always seemed to be surrounded by a gloomy aura which was just part of my intellectual appeal. Or at least that was what i told myself to make myself content. 

‘’ Well aren’t you overflowing with excitement? ‘’ He asked leaning closer as he noticed my frown

‘’ Can’t you just tell me who is the so called surprise guest? ‘’

‘’ Then it wouldn't be a surprise anymore Kyungie ''  He told me as if i was a kid  '' If you are lucky, then tonight you will meet this person. I think you are going to like it ‘’

‘’ Oh my god, did you invite one of those famous writers you family knows? ‘’ I asked, this time getting really excited

‘’ Okay, you aren’t going to like it THAT much ‘’ He laughed

‘’ Well then who is it? ‘’ 

‘’ Soon you will know Kyungie ‘’ He told me patting my head lightly with his free hand

‘’ Stop calling me that ‘’

‘’ Ah, our Kyungie is mad ‘’ He laughed seeing how pissed I got every passing second

 

After a ride that surely broke some sort speed record, we stopped in front of a gate which was adorned with beautiful bronze designs of flowers and a lion. You could already see the vegetation surrounding the cottage, which was a beautiful sight. Getting nearer and nearer the house only made it look bigger and more majestic, it was made of grey bricks so that it looked like an old castle. In one of the sides of the building, more than eight different luxurious cars were simply accommodated, begging for someone to give them a ride. Everything seemed expensive and glamorous, but i was never a fan of excess. I had always been at his other home that was near the city, a much more modern house with glass and black and white furniture. This cottage seemed like the total opposite, an European styled mansion with old,  gold decorations and crystal chandeliers.

 We got off the car and immediately Gretchen, their new German maid, stood by our side, ready to serve us. Kai smiled at her diligence, pleased to see so much power already on his hands, something that gave me a very nasty feeling.

 

As we entered the house I noticed in much more detail our surroundings. There were pieces of art from famous artists hanging on each wall, as well as antique furniture. The main hall was adorned with marble white stairs and  beautiful glass art works on the walls. From the stairs Jong In mother walked gracefully sporting a knee length, a little bit too tight dress and combed backwards hair. Diamond earrings never seemed over the top to her and she wore them with prideful expression.

‘’ My baby Jongie is here ‘’ She squealed throwing herself into her sons arms a bit too childishly.  I noticed how that annoying habit of calling each other names cutely was already a thing on the family

‘’ It hasn’t been long since we met mom, don’t make a scene ‘’

‘’ Oh but how I missed my baby all this time, now that I am older I notice your absence so much ‘’ She said, already on tears. Kai smiled at me and I did an assuring nod

‘’ Let’s not forget about this handsome man ‘’ She said giving me a smile and hugging me a little bit too tight for my liking. ‘’ Look how grown you are, you almost reach Jong In height now ‘’

Lying .

‘’ Mom don’t lie to him,  we all know it ain’t true ‘’ Kai said amused. I nodded at his statement while his mom shot him an unamused glare

‘’ It’s  always good to say a nice thing to a friend, haven’t I taught you well? ‘’

And she did. Kai always did that with everyone except me, one of the disadvantages of being fairly close to him.

‘’ Right. Where is uncle ? '' 

'' Don't call him uncle Kai, he is legally your father now '' She reminded him with an stern expression '' Don't be like her '' 

I understood she must had meant her sister or mother so i stood unfazed since i already knew the little conflicts they had. The thing i still hadn't known was how many times did Park Min Hi remarried, but Kai always made it seem like a lot. He told me that at one point he stopped bothering trying to memorize their names cause in the end, it was always going to go one way. Divorce...or a suspicious death. 

Kai rolled his eyes and started walking, i followed suit until we ended up on a pretty big Victorian kind of kitchen. He let an old looking butler know our luggage was at the stairs and he immediately rushed with another man to get it. 

'' Maria, why don't you prepare us something nice? The trip has made me hungry '' He said to a Spanish looking woman, patting his stomach and pouting

'' Is it a new trend to have international maids now? '' 

'' Well you know how my mom is. She feels a sick sense of proudness because she has occidental looking people working for her '' He snorted '' It's pretty funny actually cause she doesn't even know how to pronounce their names ''

I laughed because that sounded exactly like Min Hi, trying to feel superior as always. The first time i met her she kept asking for my family and their profession, of course she felt delighted when she found out i was the son of a lawyer and a simple secretary. I was lucky Kai was there to stop her before i lost my nerves.

Waiting for lunch in the living room, we decided to drink a glass of wine for better 'digestion'

'' I have got the favorite of my dad, Domaine Leroy Musigny Grand Cru, 1949 '' He smirked already his lips

'' Which of all your dads ? '' I joked

 

'' The only dad we ever had, Kim Jung Ju '' A female voice said behind us

I turned around to see a beautiful girl with long wavy hair that looked like it hadn't been combed in days and big, clear brown eyes which were staring back at me with a dangerous glint. Her lips were full and seemed very soft as she made a delicate pout. She was sitting with her legs ily crossed on a big shelf, barefoot, like she was trying to show off her creamy legs. Her dress was black and barely stopped a little bit beyond the beginning of her legs.

If i hadn't known she was part of the family i would have thought she was a call girl.

 

 

'' Sister, i didn't expect you to be awake at such hours ''