Chapter Four: An Apology Gift? (Part One)

Breaking Code

 

 

Why are we even caring about race? Who cares if you're Black, White or Asian? We're all humans, man. And why is it wrong to date someone that’s another race than your own? Someone tell me please, cause I don’t understand.”-Doominikkaaa

 

   The air in Seoul seemed more pleasant on Valentine’s day as shades of red, pink and white dominated the streets and shops in South Korea.

     Café Moonlight was no different from the other business establishments in the area, and all of the café employees were busy hanging elaborate decorations that incorporated hearts about the place.

     “If I see one more heart, I’m going to scream.” Sehun muttered as he hung a glittering heart in front of one of the windows. “Why the heck did I get stuck with the morning shift again?”

     “Because the night shifts will get in the way of your studies and Suho didn’t want to make it harder on both you and Kai.” Lay answered. “He really wants you two to make something of yourselves. Please try to understand that. He still sees you guys as carefree teenagers rather than adults like the rest of us, so he does whatever he can to help you guys out in whatever way possible.”

     “I know. I guess I should be thankful, huh?”

     Lay nodded.

     “Now cheer up! We’ll have customers coming soon, so no moping or whining, got it?”

     “Yes, hyung.”

     “Good. Hey, Kyungsoo!” The manager yelled, making everyone else cringe at the sudden increase of volume. “How are the cakes coming?”

     The said man left the comfort of his kitchen to glare at the other.

     “Better, if you’d be quiet.” The he quipped from the doorway. “I just took a batch out of the oven, so stop yelling.”

     “Alright, alright, calm down.” Yixing said. “When will those cupcakes be ready?”

     “Soon,” Came the other’s short reply before he disappeared behind the kitchen door once more. “Aish…”

     “Where’s Kai, Wooyoung, and Minseok?” Yixing asked as he turned his attention back to a struggling Sehun. “He should be here by now.”

     “Don’t know about the other two.” Sehun answered as he finally got the decoration around the hook. “But Kai’s probably still moping over last night.”

     “Oh. Well, it was pretty harsh way to end the night. Not that you helped much.”

     “Oh no you don’t,” The younger faced the manager. “I already took crap from Jongin. I’m not taking more from you too.”

     “You egged her on, Sehun. It probably would’ve gone a lot better if you hadn’t have said anything. But you did, and to be honest; your actions didn’t give us a good look.”

     “Well, she didn’t exactly make her race look great, either.” Sehun retorted. “Besides, she started it. Someone had to set her straight.”

     Yixing sighed.

     Obviously, the other saw nothing wrong with his actions.

     “Hyung, she deserved it!”

     “And retaliation solves it? Every situation is not easily handled with a sharp tongue.”

     “Well, if my way is so wrong, then how would you have handled it?”

     “Calmly, of course.” Yixing answered. “You were too angry to actually listen to her. Instead of flat out verbally assaulting her like you did, I would’ve asked her why. For every response that she would give me, I would ask a question and I wouldn’t leave her alone until I got a specific answer.”

     “I tried that!”

     Yixing snorted.

     “Hardly. If you were paying attention, you’d notice that she either half way answered or flat out avoided your questions. Think back to last night. If she really hates Asians like she claims, wouldn’t she have been more specific on the matter? Instead, she fed you these vague answers just to throw you off.” Yixing opened another box of decorations. “Have you ever noticed that racists tend to call the race they hate every derogatory name in the book except for their actual name? Or they usually use some sort of a stereotype or a physical or behavioral characteristic to prove that race as inferior? This girl barely did any of that. If I could point a finger on it, I would say that her anger isn’t aimed at the entire Asian race, but it dwells within personal matters.”

     Sehun stared at the other, freaked out at his manager’s analyzation skills.

     “Or maybe, you just think too much.”

     Yixing shrugged, smirking at the other, lightly.

     “There’s no harm in thinking and observing others around you. It definitely can’t hurt you.”

     "Hey!"

     Just then, the door opened and in stepped Wooyoung, Kai, and Minseok with a not so carefully concealed bouquet of flowers.

     “Aw, are those for me? You shouldn’t have.”

     The barista pushed Sehun away when he made a grab at the roses.

     “Good, because I didn’t.” The barista quipped as he made his way over to the bar and placed them in a vase filled with water. “These are for Tamera.”

     “Oh? That’s so sweet!”

     “Stop it. We really need to get you hitched, one day. By the way, who won that bet last night?”

     “We did of course, Sehun blew it yet again.”

     The said waiter glared at his manager.

     “Seriously? Stop making bets on my social life!”

     Minseok grinned and turned to an annoyed looking Jongin.

     “Pay up, Kai.” The college student placed a ten on the counter and proceeded to get ready for his upcoming shift.

     “Are you happy?”

     “Ecstatic.” The other said as he pocketed his prize. “I’m ten dollars richer and I haven’t even clocked in, yet!”

     The brunette sighed.

     He really wasn’t in the mood for joking right now.

     After what had happened last night, he couldn’t help but to feel angry in not being able to have a chance with that girl. And why?

     Because of his race.

     Kai never realized just how vital the ethnicity card played in the dating game, until now. It was something so unimportant, so minor; but boy, did it affect the entire outcome of the situation.

     ‘It isn’t fair and it’s not right either.’

     The man thought as he threw on his vest. He didn’t like that he was being overlooked just because of something that he had absolutely no control over.

          He had a feeling that she didn’t like Asian guys, but he wasn’t sure just how accurate he was and he really didn’t expect to be this down about it. Kai didn’t even know her name, so why exactly was this affecting him so much?

     So, he wasn’t Black, did that really make a difference? He had a kind heart and good morals that came with his attractive exterior and those were traits that shouldn’t be ignored.

     “If that’s the case, then it’s her loss.”

     He mumbled to himself.

 

~*~

 

     It was nine in the morning when Bianca decided to clean the house and she picked the loudest activity first, vacuuming.

     Jolting into consciousness, Mercedes groaned and pulled one of her pillows over her head to stifle the noise.

     “I’m going to kill her.” She growled as she threw her pillow aside. “Bianca!”

     The said girl appeared in the doorway.

     “What the heck are you doing?! Do you know what time it is?”

     The other hissed.

     “Yep,” Bianca answered smiling. “I was hoping that would wake you up. We need to talk.”

     “Not now.” Mercedes said as she buried herself under her covers. “I’m so tired.”

     Bianca scoffed at the other.

     “I don’t care. We’re having this discussion, right now. Sit up.”

     “But-”

     “Get up.”

     Sighing, the woman did as she was told. Her back made contact with the wall behind her bed.

     “What is it?”

     Bianca sat on the foot of her bed.

     “It’s about last night. Now, I know that you don’t exactly like Asian men, but was that really necessary?”

     “Are we seriously talking about this, now? Bianca, couldn’t this have waited until breakfast?”

     Mercedes whined.

     “No. Tamera doesn’t need to know what happened last night since she might have something going on with one of their friends.”

     That certainly got Mercedes attention.

     “Which one? When did this happen? Why didn’t-”

     “I’m just as clueless as you are.” Bianca said, effectively shutting the other up. “She wants us to meet her at Café Moonlight so we can meet him. Back to the subject though, you really don’t know how destructive your words are, do you?”

     “What are you talking about now? Everything that I said last night was me defending myself!”

     “How can you be defensive when you started the whole thing? That guy only asked you a question; he wasn’t trying to offend you.”

     “Yeah? Well, he did.” Mercedes pouted. “Weren’t you listening to him at all?”

     “I heard every word, but did you bother to look around at the others when all of this was happening?”

     Mercedes was silent.

     “Maybe you should apologize to them. Especially Kai, he looked particularly crushed. He didn’t deserve that.”

     Mercedes looked away from the other.

     She got so wrapped up in the other guy that she had forgotten that Kai had been sitting there the whole time, listening the whole time, watching them the whole time.

     There was no doubt that her words had hit him too when she was arguing with that other guy.

     It was miniscule, but Mercedes couldn’t lie to herself. She actually did feel a twinge of guilt for saying the things that she did. Well, at least in front of Kai, that is. Normally, she wouldn’t have cared what anyone thought of her, but somehow this guy’s opinion slightly bothered her. Mercedes had gotten so caught up in her rage towards that guy that she had stopped caring about exactly who was there.

     “Darn it. I wasn’t trying to upset anyone, but that guy. No one else mattered, at the moment.”

     “I know, but they heard it too.” Bianca pointed out. “And they were all offended by what you said. It’s not like you made any specific statements in the argument, so what were they supposed to think?”

     Mercedes sighed.

     “Alright, alright. I’ll apologize; now stop it with the guilt trip, already.”

     Bianca smiled brightly and stood up.

     “Start getting ready, we’ll be leaving in an hour.”

 

~*~

 

     Tamera returned to Café Moonlight alone, excited to meet up with the handsome barista from last night.

     “Welcome back to Café Moonlight and Happy Valentine’s Day!” Wooyoung chimed excitedly from his place at the host stand. “It’s so great to have you back. Will your friends be joining you?”

     Tamera nodded.

     “They should be here soon.”

     “Alright. Well, will a table be okay with you?”

     “That shouldn’t be a problem.”

     Wooyoung placed her at a table close to the bar.

     “I’ll be sure to your friends this way, when they come.”

     “Thank you.”

     Tamera said as she bowed her head slightly.

     The host returned the gesture and left her there.

     For some reason, she felt nervous about the others meeting Minseok for the first time. Maybe it was a mistake to invite them so early. Tamera sighed and leaned on her arm, silently hoping for everything to go smoothly today.

 

~*~

 

     Mercedes traded four dollars and fifty cents for a single white rose with a silky red ribbon that was tied around the stem beautifully.

     “That’s what you’re giving him?” Bianca said while trying to hold back a laugh. “It’s Valentine’s Day, isn’t that a bit romantic?”

     “Uh…” Mercedes looked at the flower again before sighing audibly. “Maybe I should find something else-”

     “No, it’s fine. I’m sure he’ll love it.” The other said as she wrapped an arm around Mercedes and pulled her away from the flower stand. “Besides, we’re going to be late if we take any longer.”

     Bianca’s smirk went unnoticed as a brooding Mercedes thought over what reaction Kai would give her over the gift. She hoped that her apology would work in her favor and he would at least accept her request for forgiveness.

     It didn’t take long for the duo to reach the café and when they did, Wooyoung politely escorted them to Tamera’s table.

     Tamera noticed that something was off when they approached her. Bianca waved her greeting as usual, however Mercedes didn’t even look up from her flower. Speaking of the flower, why did she have it? Did someone give it to her on the way here?

     “Happy Valentine’s Day!” Bianca said as she took the seat across from Tamera. “Are those chocolates for this mystery guy that we’re meeting today?”

     Tamera nodded and covered her face.

     “Yeah, but I haven’t really seen him around. I wonder if he’s here.” She said, looking around again. “Oh well, maybe I’ll see him later.”

     “Did our waiter come yet?”

     “No, but I think that’s him now.” Tamera said while tilting her head towards Kai as he approached them. “It’s funny how we keep getting him as our server.”

     “Hello again ladies,” The waiter greeted them with an obviously forced smile. “Happy Valentine’s Day, are you ready to order any drinks?”

     Bianca nodded.

     “I think I’ll have some Hand-Drip Coffee for now.”

Kai nodded and turned to Tamera.

     “Um, can I have a Mocha Latte?”

     The waiter nodded and wrote the order down.

     “And you?”

     Kai said as he turned to Mercedes, but unlike the others, he didn’t even bother to look at her.

     “I’ll take a Café Mocha.” She said, inwardly pleading with him to look her in the eye so this apology can be a little easier for her. “Kai?” The said man tilted his head, implying that he was listening, but still wouldn’t look at her. “I um…” Mercedes’ words seemed to get stuck in as she tried to say them again, only resulting in her opening and closing briefly before sighing miserably. “Ugh, never mind.”

     Tamera glanced at the other, not quite used to a nervous Mercedes, but Bianca was intrigued by the girl’s sudden change in behavior. She was glad that Kai was their waiter today. From the looks of it, the tables had turned and Mercedes definitely wasn’t ready for the shift.

     This was without a doubt, a humbling experience for the feisty woman.

     Kai said nothing. He left the table to put his drink orders in with a subtle bow.

     “Well, that certainly didn’t go as well as we hoped it would. Don’t sweat it, Mercedes. Try to relax and say what you’re thinking.”

     The said woman let her head rest against the table.

     “It’s not that easy, Bianca.”

     “You’re probably just overthinking it.”

     The woman said as she looked around the café and spotted a guy sneaking up behind Tamera. When they made eye contact, the man put a finger over his lips and Bianca nodded her head, opting for encouraging Mercedes whose head was still against the table.

     Tamera felt a tap on her shoulder before she turned around and got a face full of stunning red roses that were tipped with blue dye.

     “Happy Valentine’s Day!” Minseok chimed as he took the seat next to her and held out the bouquet. “I really don’t have a lot of time, but I can spare a moment since there’s no one at the bar just yet.”

     “Thank you, they’re beautiful!” Tamera gushed as she happily took the roses. “I got something for you too.”

     Tamera presented a large golden case with chocolates from Ferrero Rocher. The barista took his gift with gratitude.

     “Wow Tamera, thank you. You really didn’t have to spend this much.”

     Mercedes rolled her eyes at the lovey-dovey couple.

     They weren’t exactly bothering anyone, but it irritated her to see Tamera and what she expected to be her new boyfriend, or hubby or friend…

     “So, what exactly are you two? Are you official? Just talking?”

     Her blunt question threw the duo for a loop and Bianca had the urge to hit Mercedes right then and there.

     “Um…Minseok?”

     “We’re taking it slow for now.” Minseok answered both Tamera and Mercedes. “There’s no reason to rush.”

     “Oh, aren’t they just the cutest thing?” Bianca cooed and glanced at the less than enthusiastic woman beside her. “Please take good care of her.”

     “I don’t plan on hurting her.”

     As Bianca continued to converse with the two, Mercedes had stolen her phone and was playing with the settings out of boredom. It didn’t take her long to save her changes and place the phone back on the table before the doting Bianca or a mortified Tamera noticed.

     At that moment, Kai had returned with their drink orders and raised a curious brow at Minseok before he spotted the bouquet from earlier.

     “Is there anything else that I can get for you today?”

     He offered as he looked around the table.

     The girls shook their heads and Kai disappeared again.

     “I can’t do this.” Mercedes sighed. “Bianca, he won’t even look at me!”

     “Keep trying, dear. Oh, here he comes. Now’s your chance!”

     Kai returned yet again, with three bowls.

     “In honor of Valentine’s Day, our store owner has allowed our chef to prepare one of his innovative deserts to serve our customers freely.” The server said as he elegantly sat the bowls in front of the women. The dessert was beautiful and it was obvious that the cupcake was made with expert hands and care. “Please enjoy the Chocolate Chip Cherry and Peanut cupcake on behalf of Café Moonlight. It signifies the resilient bond that-”

     “Two lovers share and their blissful harmony with one another that will endure all obstacles for a lifetime.” Mercedes interrupted him, shocking everyone at the table. She stared at the dessert heatedly, not believing what she was seeing. In her anger, Mercedes had lost any kind of appetite that she had before. “Excuse me.”

     Was all that she said before she stood up and left abruptly, not looking back once as she ran out of the café.

 

Author's Note: First off, I would like to apologize for the long wait. It honestly was not supposed to take this long, but things are getting hectic as my finals and other projects and papers and other burdensome work approaches, but now I can finally, FINALLY reveal why Mercedes hates Asian guys, well at least some of it.