Chapter One: Coffee and Conflict

Breaking Code

 

  

“I have come to the conclusion that we in America have deep wounds and internal hurt that seems to be passing on from generation to generation. This hurt is manifesting into anger and prejudice….to nonsense. Some of us are breaking from this…we accept the past…learn from it…move on. Others seem to be just stuck and continue the cycle of hurt by hurting others.”-Blackandyellowambw

 

It was lunch time for a trendy little café wedged between a successful long time ramen shop and a young, but thriving flower store.

     Most of the store’s customers were Korean business people who were looking for a pick me up that would last them until the end of the day. Others would be chic teenagers visiting for caffeine and conversation with their friends or housewives that decided to stop by for a rest, but today was different.

     Three foreigners walked in and the café fell quiet at the beautiful women that had just entered. Despite the obvious differences in height, weight, and skin tone, the trio had managed to create an air of awe in less than a minute.

     “Good evening ladies,” The host bowed slightly. “Welcome to Café Moonlight! I’m your host, Wooyoung and will there be anyone joining you?”

     “No sir, it’s just the three of us.” The first woman answered with a slight bow in return. Her hair was long, dark and wavy and it also complimented her light brown skin. Her eyes were dark and almond shaped. Her unwavering stare made the man somewhat self-conscious of his position in the situation. “If it isn’t too much to ask, may we have a booth?”

     “S-sure. It’s right this way.” Wooyoung brought them to a clean booth by the window. “Y-your server will be with you in a moment.”

     The three nodded and Wooyoung scurried away to find the server, cursing himself for tripping over his words a moment earlier.

     “I think that you made him nervous, Mercedes.” Bianca stated while she untangled one of her brown curls. “You tend to have that same effect no matter where you go.”

     “Doesn’t matter to me, what will I do with an Asian? It might work for some girls, but not me. By the way Tamera, how’s it going with you and Dongyul?”

     Tamera rolled her eyes.

     Somehow, Mercedes always found a way to either insult her or the entire Asian race with just one sentence. Tamera had to admit however, that the previous statement was nothing compared to the usual ignorant nonsense that the other girl would constantly spout.

     “It’s fine, Mercedes.”

“Liar.” The other said, chuckling at the darker skinned girl. “He didn’t even bother to text you back did he? It’s been what, three days? He’s not interested-”

     Bianca kicked the woman from under the table when she heard her other friend sigh.

     She wasn’t necessarily a supporter for dating either, but when it came to Tamera, she would at least try to protect her friend from Mercedes’ harsh words. Often times, she found herself acting as a neutral barrier between the two.

     In her eyes, Tamera’s attraction to Asian guys was her problem and no one else’s.

     “Ow!”

     “It’s not like she’s hurting anyone, so let her be. This is supposed to be our day off, so don’t let your prejudiced ways screw it up for everyone.”

     “It’s not like I’m lying here.”

     “Shut up, Mercedes.”

     Approaching footsteps sounded against the black tiled floor of the café, quickly grabbing the three women’s attention as a young man with tousled brown hair and tanned skin stopped before them. His look was exotic and erogenous, while he seemed to have a confident air about him. He was certainly good looking, at least by Korean standards, but there were three completely different opinions and that were active when the girls studied his appearance.

     ‘Wow, he’s really cute, but waaaaay too young for me…what a shame.’

     ‘He doesn’t look bad, but Asians aren’t my thing…Tamera looks interested though.’

     ‘Well he’s not ugly, but he’s got nothing on a Black man. Better luck, next time!’

     “Hello ladies. My name is Kai and I’ll be your server today. Would you like to order drinks while you’re looking over your menus?”

     The women nodded.

     “Um, I’ll have an Americano and make sure that the water is no less than piping when it gets here.”

     Mercedes stated while she eyed the menu.

“And how about you ma’am?”

     Kai asked as he turned to Bianca who glanced over the options again.

     “I think I’ll go for a Chocolate Bubble Tea.”

     The waiter jotted the previous orders down and turned his attention to the last woman.

     “I want a Café Viennese with all the toppings, please.”

     Tamera smiled sweetly, making Kai chortle lowly.

     With a slight tilt of the head, the boy walked away to put in the drink orders.

As soon as he was out of hearing range, Mercedes nudged Tamera out of her daze.

     “Calm yourself Tamera, he’s too young.”

     “I never said that I liked him!”

     “Well, he sure thinks so. You’re not that great at hiding your feelings, are you? Another Asian caught your eye.”

     Tamera couldn’t help wondering why exactly she was friends with Mercedes.

     It was as if their friendship was only for her to be tortured at Mercedes’ whims, which were far too frequent for her taste.

     Since she had developed a preference when it came to dating, Tamera had worn a tough skin when it came to ignorant remarks, but day in and day out, Mercedes would always have something to say about her taste in men.

     She was strong, but if someone were to attack the same spot relentlessly; the armor would no doubt, weaken.

     “Can we please talk about something else?”

The woman whined while turning her menu over harshly.

     “I agree. Let’s have peace for once.” Bianca said as she looked Mercedes straight in the eye, making the message clear to the other woman to back off. “Is that okay with you, Mercedes?”

     “Whatever.”

     Kai returned not long after that, carrying the requested beverages on a black tray with obvious experience and placed the drinks in the center of the table.

     “So are we ready to order, ladies? Or do we need more time?”

     “I think we’re ready.” Tamera spoke up. “Does anyone disagree?”

     Both Mercedes and Bianca shook their heads before they placed their orders for a bowl of Dak Galbi and Sanjeok along with a bowl Dolsot Bibimbap.

     Kai’s pen flew across the surface of his notepad for a second time before he disappeared, yet again.

     At this time, Tamera let her eyes roam over the cozy little café.

     No wonder she heard so much about Café Moonlight. It seemed like everyone came to this place and the atmosphere was still quiet and peaceful. It was relaxing to get away from the hustle and bustle of Seoul and this place somehow managed to do that in a stylish way.

     Her gaze immediately locked with another’s from the bar across the room.

     His twinkling dark eyes drew her in, automatically. Making him look more mature than his childish features would normally allow. The man’s skin was pale and flawless. He was very attractive in a way that was very different from Kai’s appeal, but it definitely didn’t mean that he was one to be overlooked, either.

     That brazen stare kind of threw her off for a moment and she was sure that he knew of this too because almost immediately after that, a sly smirk made its way to his face before he broke the eye contact with a simple and yet very y lift of the eyebrow.

     “Tamera? You still with us honey?”

     A hand shook her shoulder rather roughly for an answer.

     “A-ah, yeah. I’m fine, I  must’ve spaced out for a moment. My bad.”

     Bianca smiled through a mouthful of Bibimbap.

     “You’re good. We must be boring if you’re not paying attention, though.”

     “It’s not that, I-” Tamera glanced over at a perceptive Mercedes. “Never mind.”

     Another scoff came her way and an audible thump rose from underneath them.

     “Ow! Bianca stop it! I didn’t even say anything, so what was the point in that?!”

     “Eat your Sanjeok before it gets cold.”

     Tamera started eating her Dak Galbi as well.

     When had Kai returned with their food?

     “What else do we have planned today? Anyone, know?” Mercedes asked and took a sip of her Americano. “'Cause I have something in mind for later if we don’t.”

     “Not much.” Tamera replied between bites. “What’d you have in mind?”

     “What about we go to a club tonight? It’s been a long while since we indulged in the nightlife. I know a hot club that absolutely everybody goes to! My friends say that Club Ellui is an awesome place to party, so you guys wanna go?”

     “Sounds like a plan, why not?”

     Tamera said after another spoonful of Dak Galbi.

     “I’m in too, but no one is to get drunk. Does everyone understand?”

     Tamera and Mercedes sighed loudly.

     “Ne, eomeoni.”

     Bianca glared at them as they burst into a fit of giggles.

     “I’m not dragging anyone home, just so you know.” The woman said, folding her arms over her chest. “And don’t call me whatever you just said. You know my Korean isn’t up to par enough for jokes.”

     “Chill Bianca, we only called you 'mother'.” Tamera dismissed her with a wave of her hand. “That’s what eomeoni or umma means. Umma is a simpler way of saying it, though.”

     “Ooohhh.” The brown haired girl nodded in understanding before smirking. “There’s no way that I’d be a mother to either of you. You’re both full grown messes, so I won’t be taking the blame for you two crazy women.”

     “As if you’re so much better, you’re just quieter.”

     Bianca stuck her tongue out at the other, earning a kick under the table.

~*~

     “Well, aren’t you lucky?”

     Jongin jumped as his longtime friend; Sehun, spoke from behind him. “Wooyoung gave you a cute table. I’m jealous, I got stuck with some obnoxious redhead and her bucktoothed admirer.” The fair head boy rolled his eyes as he prepared their check. “They probably won’t even tip.”

     “They certainly are pretty, but I don’t think any of them are interested in Asian guys. I’m not going to push my luck with the one next to the window, there.” Kai pointed to the girl with the light brown skin and dark waves. “I don’t know why, but she kept glaring at me the whole time when I was taking their orders. She scares me.”

     Not long after, the three girls were searching the café for him.

     “It looks like they’re ready for their check.”

     “Aw, they’re leaving already? What a pity." Both waiters jumped at their manager's voice as Yixing peeked at the girls from behind them. "I hope they come back. Pretty girls make the day flow smoother."

     The dark haired man grabbed the paper and slid it on a small silver tray before leaving to drop it off at his table.

 

~*~

 

     The handsome waiter returned just as their lunch came to an end and delivered the check.

     “Here’s your check, ladies. Please leave your money on the table and thank you for visiting Café Moonlight.”

     The man bowed to them and they returned the gesture before he left them, once again.

     “I think a tip is in order.” Bianca said as she pulled out a twenty from her purse. “He’s not bad.”

     “I think that we might’ve found a new café to come to.”

     Tamera said, dropping down a fifty dollar bill to cover both the tip and the bill.

     Mercedes placed her twenty on the pile of money before the women rose from their seats and headed for the door.

     Tamera glanced back at the bar where she caught the barista eyeing her. With a small smile, he waved and the girl found herself waving back before exiting the glass doors of the charming little café.

     Yeah, she was definitely coming back to Café Moonlight.

 

Author's Note: Hey guys, thank you sooo much for your support on this story! Because you guys love this story so much, I've decided to take down the preview and put up the rest of the chapter!