Ten (Finale)

Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Flight

Luhan stood on the brink of the steep cliff, arm outstretched and palm facing Sehun. The younger boy was still struggling desperately against the invisible barrier.

“This is it, Sehun-ah,” said Luhan softly, the sound barely making it to Sehun’s ears, which were already overwhelmed by the rushing winds of his own emotions. “Promise.”

“Luhan, please,” begged the boy. “Don’t push me away.”

As he looked down, Luhan caught a glimpse of the edge of the mountain. His fear of heights was only surpassed by his fear of falling. The moment his concentration faltered, the barrier fell. Sehun stumbled forward, unprepared for the sudden release. The whirlwind that had formed behind him gushed forth at full force.

Luhan looked up at the sound of the shockwave, right before it hit him, square in the chest. Too late to react, he was thrown backwards, off the edge. The agonizing cry from Sehun was the last thing he heard before he felt that uncomfortable sensation in his stomach. He was falling. Luhan closed his eyes, desperately trying to levitate himself, just like he had done with Sehun. But he couldn’t. Just when he was sure that he was going to die, the free fall slowed. His eyes flashed open in time to see a body hurtling towards him. He held out his arms reflexively, palms facing outward. The body froze directly above his own. Sehun had jumped after him.

The powerful wind beneath Luhan pushed him up, up towards his best friend, who was hanging in midair. The two floated within arm’s length, using their powers to hold each other up. They were suspended there, silently staring into each other’s eyes.

Suddenly, a hand gripped each of their forearms. Before either could react, they were being pulled upward at an incredible speed, the air rushing against their faces, making it nearly impossible to see. Luhan closed his eyes, preparing for the worst.

Next thing he knew, he felt himself land on familiar ground. Before Luhan could see where he was, he felt someone crash against him. Arms had wrapped tightly around his body, gripping him intensely. He knew it was Sehun before he even heard the sobs.

“Sehun-ah,” cried Luhan, burying his face into his best friend’s chest. “I’m sorry.”

Then he felt a hand, a different one, his hair.

“Xiaolu,” said a familiar deep voice.

Luhan pulled himself up out of Sehun’s grasp. As he turned his eyes upward, he felt his heart skip a beat. Looking down at him with a sad smile was Kris.

Luhan fell into his arms, bringing Sehun with him. Kris their backs, whispering comfort into their ears. They held each other until their tears had dried. As Kris let go, Sehun pulled his best friend back into his own chest. Luhan turned his head so he could still see his leader, making sure he wasn’t imagining things.

“Xiaolu,” repeated Kris.

“How?” asked Luhan, unable to find any other words.

“Ever since you left,” explained Kris, “we’ve been trying to figure out where you went. Yixing found the maps in your bedroom. He had seen you pouring over them for weeks, but never paid much attention to it, not until you were gone. Just when we realized you were headed for Mount Fuji, security guards from SM came and arrested us. They interrogated us for hours, trying to force us to reveal where you went. None of us told them, so they brought us back to Korea, to SM headquarters. We were in custody when it happened. Police officers came into our cell and tried to separate us. The one that grabbed onto Chen was electrocuted. Another that reached for Minseok screamed in pain as his skin froze. That’s when a third officer opened fire, shooting bullets randomly in every direction. One hit me in the leg as I tried to protect Zitao. Another was headed straight for my head when it stopped, along with everything around us. Tao had frozen time. It affected everything except the five of us. Lay ran to me and tried to stop my leg from bleeding. As he pressed down on the wound, the bullet dislodged and the pain disappeared. I was healed, almost instantly. We took the frozen officer’s weapons. When the room unfroze, the policemen were trapped. We made them tell us everything they knew. They said one of the EXO-K members was injured at a nearby hospital. Then more armed officers showed up and Zitao had to freeze the room again. We decided to let Yixing leave, so he could go to the hospital to help. The rest of us planned our escape until Zitao couldn’t hold time any longer. As we ran from the building, I felt my own power. Before I knew it, I was in the air, flying at an incredible speed. I let my power guide me in the right direction. It brought me here, just in time to see you both falling. I don’t know how, Luhan. It’s like it was meant to be.”

Luhan had started to shake, overwhelmed by what he had just heard. Sehun held him even tighter.

“I can take you to the peak,” whispered Kris, tears welling up in his eyes. “I think that’s why I was brought here. To help you.”

“NO!” Sehun’s anguished cry echoed along the mountain, scaring several birds out of the nearby trees. Luhan looked up at them as they flew by. He could feel his heart filling up with a familiar fear.

“Sehun-ah,” said Kris gently, placing a hand on the maknae’s shoulder. “None of this was a coincidence. Don’t you see? You’re here for a reason. Luhan needed your help to get this far. Now he needs mine. We have to let go.”

The words hit Sehun like daggers of ice. The truth was stabbing deep wounds into his already broken heart. He felt his legs buckle under his own weight. As he crumbled to the ground, Luhan fell with him. The two held on desperately, tears falling into each other’s shoulders.

“It’s time, Sehun-ah,” whispered Luhan.

Sehun could only cry. He had neither words nor strength left. The cool wind around them had died down completely, leaving behind an eerie calm. The only sounds were those of Sehun’s sobs as his painful tears fell onto Luhan.

“Duizhang,” said Luhan quietly, his cheek still pressed against the maknae’s silky hair. “Could you bring Sehun to the peak with us? I don’t want to leave him here by himself. I want you to be with him when... when it happens.”

“Of course,” replied Kris softly, “anything you ask.”

----------------------------------

Kai felt himself sink into a much softer bed. He could still feel his hyung’s body against him, but the atmosphere felt different. It was warmer here, and darker. The change was apparent even with his eyes closed.

He lifted his head up slowly, listening for any hint of danger. His ears were greeted with nothing but silence. As his eyes flashed open, he took in the familiar sight with a sigh of relief. His bedroom looked exactly how he had left it when he had last teleported from there. As he pulled himself up, he looked down into Chanyeol’s face. His hyung was still sleeping peacefully, unaware of the change of location.

Kai crept towards the bedroom door, opening it just a crack and peering out, making sure nobody was hiding there, waiting to strike. The common room appeared to be deserted. He carefully walked towards the kitchen counter, looking around nervously into every corner, paranoid that he was being watched. When he reached the landline phone, he realized he didn’t know the café phone number. “It’s probably too soon anyways,” he thought to himself. He went back to his room and his laptop, fidgeting impatiently as it started up. Then he heard it, a shuffling from behind.

As he whipped his head around, he saw Chanyeol straining to sit up.

“Hyung!” Kai ran to him and wrapped his arms around his neck.

“Jongin-ah?” moaned the deep voice, clearly confused.

“It’s okay, hyung. You’re okay! We’re back at the apartment. You’re in my bed.”

“Where are the others? Where’s Baekhyun?” The words came out in shallow gasps as he looked down at his leg, unsure why there were no bandages there.

“They’re fine, hyung, please! You have to rest. I was just about to call them. I’ll explain everything soon, I promise.”

Chanyeol felt his heart racing, but he was still too drained to argue. He let Kai lay him back down.

“I’ll be right back, hyung, please just stay here.”

Chanyeol nodded and closed his eyes.

Kai ran back to his laptop and reached for a pen. He found the number he was looking for and scribbled it on a spare napkin. As he hurried back into the common room, he heard it, the familiar creak of the front door. Someone had just walked in. Kai ducked behind the counter reflexively and snuck back into his bedroom, closing the door as quietly as possible.

“Hyung!” he whispered urgently. “You have to wake up! There’s an intruder! We have to get out of here.” He ran to the bedside and used all his strength to pull Chanyeol up so that he was seated. The tall boy swayed as the sudden change in position made him dizzy.

“Hold onto me,” said Kai, “as tightly as possible!”

Jongin wrapped his arms around Chanyeol’s neck and dug his face into his shoulder, concentrating hard. He could feel his heart galloping against his chest as the sound of footsteps became louder. He couldn’t get himself to focus. The bedroom door began to open with an ominous screech. Goosebumps erupted on Kai’s forearms. He held onto his hyung even tighter, willing himself to evaporate.

Chanyeol let out an audible gasp as he recognized the intruder. “Jongdae!”

Kai’s concentration broke at once as he pulled his face up from Chanyeol’s shoulder. He turned around in time to see Chen, Xiumin, and Tao rushing into the room. “What are you doing here?” he called out.

“We just escaped from SM headquarters,” explained Minseok, as he came over to the bedside. “We’ve been in custody ever since...,” he hesitated, “ever since the disappearance.”

“Sorry for scaring you,” added Chen, looking apologetically down at the two embracing members.

“Where’s Duizhang?” blurted out Tao as his eyes swept the otherwise empty room.

“Duizhang? You mean Kris?” asked Kai, still holding onto Chanyeol. “Shouldn’t he be with you?”

Tao looked like he was ready to burst into tears. Chen wrapped an arm around his waist and explained. “He flew off just outside of SM headquarters. We thought he might’ve come here.”

“What do you mean, ‘flew off?’” Chanyeol could feel his energy returning rather quickly, aided by the sight of s.

“I don’t know how to describe it properly,” continued Chen. “He just sort of launched into the air. No wings or anything. I think that must be his power.”

Chanyeol’s eyes widened into circles. “I knew it!”

“Knew what?!” asked Xiumin, confused.

“I told Baekhyun and Suho hyung that you must have powers too! It can’t just be a coincidence!”

Xiumin looked at him incredulously. Chanyeol held out the palm of his hand, creating an orange flame. The EXO-M members stared at it, hypnotized. Then they turned to Kai.

“Mine’s a bit more complicated,” said Jongin, shifting nervously. “And I can’t always do it on command.” There was a pause. “You mean you three have powers too?” he added as an afterthought.

Chen held up his hand, palm facing upward, fingers flexing like a claw. Suddenly, a bolt of white-hot electricity flew upward and struck the ceiling. It disappeared as quickly as it had come, like a bolt of lightning. The others reflexively shuffled backwards.

“Sorry,” said Chen softly, looking up at the blackened spot on the ceiling. “I guess I’m still learning to control it.”

Xiumin walked over to the dresser and placed a finger on the mirror. Delicate ice crystals began to form instantly around his touch, spreading outward until they had covered the entire surface. Then it shattered. Minseok stumbled backwards as the sound of crashing glass filled the room. Suddenly, the falling shards froze in midair, hanging there, motionless. Tao was holding up the palm of his hand, eyes closed in concentration. The others stared at him in awe. As he opened his eyes, the remaining pieces of the shattered mirror fell to the floor.

“Okay, I get it!” yelled Kai, leaping off the bed. “Let’s hold off on the rest of this show and tell before we destroy the entire apartment!”

“Jongin-ah!” said Chanyeol urgently, “did you call the others yet?”

“I’ve been a bit preoccupied,” snapped Kai, “if you haven’t noticed.” He hurried out of the room, returning after a few minutes. “They’re on their way,” he said as he walked in.

Xiumin was trying to pick up the broken pieces of glass from the floor.

“Hyung!” exclaimed Kai as he ran over to his side, “you’ll hurt yourself!”

Minseok looked down at the mess he had made before giving up. He followed Kai to the bed, where Chen and Tao had found seats beside Chanyeol.

“Where do you think Duizhang went?” asked Tao, sadly looking down into his own lap.

“I don’t know,” replied Chen, placing a hand on the maknae’s shoulder, “but I’m sure he’ll be fine.”

 

 

---

 

 

Shadow

A few minutes later, the familiar sound of the front door greeted their ears.

“That must be them,” said Kai, as he carefully maneuvered out of the bedroom, making sure to avoid the broken glass on the floor. “I’ll bring them here, so Chanyeol hyung can stay in bed.”

“What’s wrong?” exclaimed Kyungsoo, as soon as he ran into Jongin’s arms.

“Nothing.”

“Don’t lie to me! Tell me what’s wrong!”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

D.O. knew his roommate well enough to notice even the subtlest hint of distress. Kai was not his usual self. “There’s something wrong, and you know it.”

“Of course there’s something wrong!” responded Kai, somewhat angrily. “Three of our members are missing!”

Suho whipped his head around at once and stared at the two of them. “What do you mean ‘three’?”

“Come on,” replied Kai, “let’s go to our bedroom so that we can talk about it together with everyone.”

D.O. was not completely convinced, but he obliged, allowing his best friend to take him there.

As soon as Suho walked through the doorway, his eyes darted around the room, counting faces. Kris’s absence was obvious at once. The burden of leadership weighed even heavier on his shoulders as he went over to hug Chanyeol, who was already tangled up in Baekhyun’s arms. After pulling away, he caught a glimpse of Tao.

“What happened?” he asked gently, placing a hand on the maknae’s shoulder.

Tao did not have the heart to repeat the story, so Xiumin did. When he finished, silence filled the room.

“Do you have any idea where he could’ve gone?” asked Lay, who had become even paler.

The remaining EXO-M members shook their heads, unable to make eye contact with each other.

Suddenly, Kai stood up. “He’s at the mountain.” His deep voice echoed around the room. The others looked up at him in disbelief.

“How is that even possible?” asked D.O., reaching out to grab his roommate’s hand.

“Anything is possible,” replied Kai. “I think we should all know that by now.”

Many of the members reflexively turned to look down at their own palms.

“But do you really think he could fly all the way to Japan?” asked Chanyeol, staring at the orange flames flickering on his palm.

“He could,” whispered Tao, still staring down into his lap. Everyone turned to stare at him, but he did not elaborate.

“He did fly off at an incredible speed,” added Chen. “It was faster than any plane I’ve ever seen.” He clenched his fist, extinguishing the sparks dancing along his fingertips.

“How do you know that’s where he went?” insisted Kyungsoo, pulling at Kai’s wrist. “How can you be so sure?”

“It’s obvious, isn’t it?” replied Jongin. “All of this. It has to be to help Luhan hyung. What other explanation is there? None of this stuff started happening until Luhan hyung asked Sehun and me to meet him at the airport.”

“Stop it!” yelled D.O., jumping to his feet. “Stop blaming yourself for not going with them! Is that the only reason you think Kris went to the mountain? You think he’s taken your place?”

“Yes,” said Kai softly, bowing his head in resignation.

The change in his voice was too heartbreaking for Kyungsoo to bear. The small boy threw his arms around his best friend. “No, Jongin-ah! It’s not your fault. If anything, it’s mine. I’m the only reason you stayed.”

“I have to go there,” whispered Kai. “I have to help.”

“Why!” cried Kyungsoo, becoming hysterical. “Just tell me! Why?”

Kai did not respond. He lay his cheek onto Kyungsoo’s hair, fighting hard against the tears that had welled up in his eyes.

“I’m going with you,” said Tao, getting to his feet.

Kyungsoo pulled his head out of Kai’s chest. “If anyone is going with him, it’s gonna be me!”

“I’m not letting Kyungsoo go anywhere without me!” exclaimed Chanyeol. He too had gotten to his feet and was pulling himself away from Baekhyun.

“Chanyeol!” yelled Baekhyun.

“I’m sorry, Baekhyun-ah,” replied Chanyeol apologetically. “I just didn’t want to hurt you. I could feel my wings about to burst.” The hurt look in his roommate’s eyes had distracted him enough to avoid another unintentional fire.

“I don’t care!” cried Baekhyun as he ran back into his arms. “I’m coming with you, even if you burn me alive.”

“Don’t be ridiculous, Baekhyun-ah!” replied Chanyeol, smiling down at his roommate.

“How come you get to be ridiculous and I don’t?” argued the smaller boy. “I’m coming with you whether you like it or not.”

“I should come too,” said Lay quietly, the color having returned to his face. “Luhan might need me, if he’s hurt…” Yixing didn’t finish his thought.

Xiumin and Chen were about to interject simultaneously when they were interrupted by Suho. “Enough!” yelled the leader, making everyone jump. “Nobody is going anywhere until we all agree!”

“As if that’ll ever happen,” muttered Xiumin under his breath.

“Why don’t we all go?” suggested Chen hesitantly.

“Yes,” said Kai, as tears began to fall heavily down his cheeks.

“NO!” yelled Kyungsoo, realizing what Jongin was suggesting at once. “You can’t! You know you can’t!” D.O. was clenching Kai’s clothes in his tightened fists, refusing to let go.

Suho, Baekhyun, and Lay exchanged nervous glances as understanding dawned upon them.

“He’s right, Jongin-ah,” said Suho gently, “you can’t. Last time you teleported just the three of us, you barely survived. Besides, you’ve never even been to Mount Fuji.”

Kyungsoo breathed a sigh of relief, glad someone had finally spoken rationally.

But Kai was not

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter