One

Away
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Anything

“What are you so happy about?” Kai was not amused.

Sehun grabbed his arm and tried to pull him up from the couch. “Come on! Let’s go get bubble tea!”

Kai gave him an exasperated look. “You’ve got to be kidding me. I just woke up.”

“We can have it for breakfast!” said Sehun, with the cutest smile he could muster.

“I’m not Luhan hyung!” replied Kai angrily. “That isn’t gonna work on me.”

Sehun just laughed and ran off to his bedroom. Jongin watched him leave in utter confusion. Sehun never had this much energy in the morning.

“Kyungsoo hyung!” yelled Kai, refusing to move from his favorite spot in the common room.

D.O. stumbled out of his bedroom, still half-asleep. “What is it?”

“Aren’t you awake yet, hyung?” said Kai with a little smile.

Kyungsoo replied with a drowsy frown and shuffled towards the kitchen.

Jongin got up and ran after him. “Hyung, what’s for breakfast?”

“BUBBLE TEA!!!” Sehun came out of nowhere, inadvertently crashing into Kyungsoo, who stumbled backwards. Kai caught him before he fell.

“What the heck is wrong with you?” asked D.O. rather angrily as he regained his balance.

“Hyung! Hyung! Hyung!” said Sehun excitedly as he reached out to grab Kyungsoo.

Kai quickly pulled D.O. away before the maknae could get to him. At the same time, he gave a threatening glare to Sehun, knowing full well that his roommate was not in the mood.

“Guess what!” Sehun blurted out before Kyungsoo had a chance to react.

Neither replied. D.O. looked up at Kai, who was still holding onto him, shielding him from Sehun’s hyperactivity. “I honestly don’t know, hyung,” said Jongin, understanding the questioning look in his roommate’s forever-wide eyes.

“I know!” said Sehun, answering his own query.

“Maybe if we ignore him, then he'll stop,” suggested Kai, purposely loud enough for Sehun to hear. 

Before the two could completely turn away, Sehun ran ahead of them, blocking their way.

“Guess what!!!” he repeated with even more enthusiasm.

“WHAT!” yelled Kyungsoo, enraged.

Sehun just smiled. “Oh, nothing.” He ran off to his bedroom once more, laughing the entire way.

Jongin could feel that Kyungsoo was at the cusp of exploding. He quickly wrapped an arm around his roommate’s shoulder and led him back to their bedroom. “It’s okay, hyung, you don’t have to make breakfast today.”

“Oh really?” retorted D.O., still struggling to maintain his calm. “So what exactly are you planning to eat?”

“BUBBLE TEA!!!” As Sehun’s voice reached their ears from a distance, Kai gripped onto Kyungsoo even tighter.

“THAT’S IT!” yelled D.O. as he fought hard to be released. “I’VE HAD IT!”

“I’m sorry, hyung,” replied Kai as he continued to move them towards their room and as far away from Sehun as possible. “I have no clue what’s wrong with him. I think it’s best if you just get some rest. I’ll go get some bubble tea with him. Maybe that’ll make him stop. I don’t think I’ll be able to handle it if this goes on for the rest of the day.”

Kai’s levelheadedness calmed Kyungsoo down a bit. He sighed. “I shouldn’t let it get to me. I’m just so exhausted, Jongin-ah. I barely get any sleep anymore. I just wanted to have some peace and quiet during our one day off.”

“Nobody blames you, hyung,” replied Kai, gently rubbing his roommate’s back. “We all know how hard you work. You really shouldn’t do so much for us.” He gently brought D.O. back to his bed, helping to cover him with the soft white sheets.

As he let go, he began to look around for his wallet. The room was a lot messier than D.O. normally allowed it to be. “Do you want anything from the cafe, hyung?” he asked as he made his way to the door. There was no reply. As he turned to look back, Jongin smiled at the sight of his best friend, already fast asleep.

On his way to Sehun’s bedroom, Kai ran into Chanyeol, who was missing his usual smile. He was almost too afraid to ask, but he did anyways. “What’s wrong?”

Chanyeol tried to avoid eye contact. “Nothing, why?”

Kai decided it was best to leave it at that. He could only fix one problem at a time. “Do you want to come get bubble tea with us?”

“Right now?!” asked Chanyeol incredulously. “But we haven’t even had breakfast.”

“There isn’t gonna be any breakfast,” replied Kai, secretly hoping Chanyeol would agree to join them. He needed someone who could help him handle Sehun. “I told Kyungsoo hyung to rest instead.”

“Oh well,” said Chanyeol after a pause. “I’m not really that hungry anyways. I guess I can wait until lunch. You guys have fun.”

Jongin tried to hide his disappointment.

“You know,” said Chanyeol, not fooled, “you should just call Luhan hyung and ask him to talk to Sehun. That should distract him for a while.”

Kai couldn’t help but laugh. “How'd you know?”

“Know what?” asked Chanyeol. “That you don’t have the energy to deal with hyper Sehun? I can see it on your face.”

Kai sighed. “Maybe you’re right. Let me try calling. You don’t think it’s too early in the morning, do you?”

“I don’t think EXO-M have the day off,” replied Chanyeol with a hint of sadness in his voice. “I’m sure they’re already getting ready for their schedules.”

Kai always had a hard time wrapping his head around the fact that they had different schedules. It felt like only yesterday that they were all trainees together. Now, they barely had time to talk. As Kai found the familiar number in his cell phone, Chanyeol made his way back to his bedroom. It only took a few rings before he heard the soft voice of his hyung through the speaker.

“What’s wrong, Jongin-ah?” Luhan asked immediately. “Is everything okay?”

“Hyung,” replied Kai cautiously, “Can I ask you a favor?”

“Anything,” answered Luhan, without hesitation.

Kai felt guilty for bothering his hyung, who always seemed to put others ahead of himself. “Are you busy? You can tell me if it’s a bad time.”

“What’s wrong?” Luhan repeated, getting worried. Kai was usually far more straightforward.

“It’s Sehun.”

The sound of the maknae’s name made Luhan even more worried. “What happened?”

“Oh no, hyung, it’s nothing like that,” replied Kai rather quickly, realizing he wasn’t being clear. “It’s just, he’s kind of tiring us all out at the moment. You see, we have a day off today, and I know it sounds kind of pathetic, but all we really want to do is rest. Sehun, on the other hand, is insisting on going out and getting one everyone's nerves. We thought maybe you could talk to him?” Kai felt even more stupid as the words came out of his mouth. “What the hell am I doing?” he thought to himself, feeling ridiculous that he had to make an international phone call to solve such a trivial problem.

“Of course,” replied Luhan before Kai had a chance to apologize for the silly request. “I understand. But before you give him the phone, can I ask you a favor too?”

“Anything,” answered Kai, also without hesitation. The two had established a firm trust in one another, despite being physically separated so often. But Jongin knew it wasn’t just him. Everyone trusted Luhan. How could they not? He always did everything to keep them all happy, especially the youngest EXO members. It was no wonder he was the only person Sehun listened to on a regular basis.

“I need you to bring Sehun to the airport tonight at 7PM.” Luhan was whispering so that Jongin could barely hear him. “But you can’t tell anyone.”

“What?” asked Jongin. “But hyung, why would we go to the…”

“Jongin-ah!” interrupted Luhan urgently. “Not so loud! Someone might hear you."

Kai was lost. “Does Sehun know about this already?” he whispered, making sure nobody was listening in. 

Luhan laughed. “Of course he does. Why do you think he’s so happy today?”

Kai remained confused. “But why are you telling me this now? I’m the one that called you.”

“Sehun was supposed to tell you,” replied Luhan, still talking rather quietly. “That’s why he’s been insisting on going to get bubble tea. So he could talk to you alone. It was actually my idea, but I didn’t realize you wouldn’t want to go. I guess it's still too early in the morning. Sorry for the trouble.”

Jongin felt another surge of guilt. Luhan never said no to him, and yet here he was, calling his hyung to get himself out of a simple request. “No, hyung, I’m sorry. I should’ve just gone with him without being so lazy.”

“Don’t worry about it” replied Luhan with sincerity. “You’re exhausted. I can tell just from your voice. I promise I’ll make it up to you.”

Kai felt even worse, knowing he didn’t deserve such kindness. “I’ll do it. I’ll bring him to the airport. Should we bring anything with us? Is there anything else I need to know?”

Luhan answered cautiously. “I think you should bring your backpack with the essentials, just in case.”

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter