Part V

Of Quaint Things and Faded Walls

V.

Morning came and Tiffany opened her eyes with a soft smile on her face. Her bed was comfortable and her sheets were warm, and it was enough for her to get up with a spring in her step, and a lovely song on her lips.

She sang while she showered, and she swayed while she brushed her teeth, with her ears perked at every sound coming from outside her shop.

 

Tiffany made sure Taeyeon’s business card was secured inside her planner before she joined her downstairs, finding the girl already by the door when she reached. They were greeted by the cold night breeze as soon as they went out.

Tiffany walked Taeyeon to her car.

“Thanks again for dinner,” she said, watched as the girl threw her stuff inside her car before facing her.

“No problem! Sorry you didn’t get to take my measurements today—” Taeyeon suddenly grimaced, “Wow, that sounded really weird.”

Tiffany giggled while Taeyeon laughed awkwardly.

“By the way, speaking of measurements… Is it possible for me to just come over early tomorrow morning? The store’s still in the process of inventory checking and I don’t think I’d be able to make it in the afternoon.”

“Sure, morning is fine,” Tiffany nodded. “I’m planning to sleep here anyway, so I’ll be able to accomodate you no matter how early.”

“You’re going to sleep… here?” Taeyeon’s eyebrows furrowed, taking a quick glance at the shop, looking a little apprehensive.

Tiffany grinned at the worried expression. “Yes. I have a small bedroom across my office.”

“O-Oh! Okay then. I should probably head home so you could rest.”

“Okay. I’ll see you tomorrow?”

“Yeah. Goodnight, Tiffany.”

“Goodnight, Taeyeon. Drive safely.”

She watched as Taeyeon got in her car, waving as she drove away.

And then Tiffany was left with a smile on her face, and a warm feeling in her chest.

 

The warmth stayed until the moment she had to open up the shop, and it blew up even more when she heard the familiar rumbling of an engine coming up behind her as she was raising the roll up metal gates.

Tiffany turned around just as Taeyeon got off her sky blue Type 1.

“Good morning,” the girl said, smiling that crooked smile she was beginning to be fond of.

 

———

———

 

“I brought breakfast.”

The smile on Tiffany’s face practically lit the morning, and it made Taeyeon laugh; it made her feel nice and warm.

She laughed even more when the designer practically dragged her inside, pushing her towards the stairs while the latter locked the front door. It was still too early in the morning, and though the metal roll up gates protecting the windows were already up, the sign on the door should still be at ‘Closed’.

Taeyeon went inside the studio and headed over to the corner, placing the takeout bag carefully on the small table. Tiffany’s hurried footsteps echoed behind her, making her chuckle to herself.

“If you’re gonna be bringing food every time you visit, then can you drop by more often?”

She turned and saw Tiffany grinning at her.

“Is that an open invitation?” Taeyeon teased.

“For food,” Tiffany countered with a smirk. “It’s an open invitation for food.”

The designer walked to stand beside her, shoving her lightly on the shoulder. “Which I am extending to you because they need you to get here.”

“You are so ungrateful.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes playfully before shoving her again. Taeyeon caught the sweet scent of her shampoo and she almost wanted to cry.

She shook her thoughts away and started rummaging inside the paper bag.

“So what did you get me?” She heard Tiffany ask beside her, excited.

“Well I have…” Taeyeon took out the containers one by one. “Strawberry waffles, blueberry pancakes, and some bagels.” She carefully reached for the two takeaway cups inside and placed them with the food. “And coffee. Breakfast without coffee is not breakfast.”

“Wow…” Tiffany’s eyes were practically beaming at the sight of everything. “That is a lot of food.”

“We’re not gonna finish everything, Tiffany. Remember what happened last night.”

“But—”

“No.”

Taeyeon watched amusedly as Tiffany pouted, dropping her whole weight on the chair like a stubborn kid. She chuckled when the designer yanked the container with the waffles, keeping it to herself.

“Fine. But the waffles are mine,” she said, before taking one of the wrapped bagels, “And this bagel.” Tiffany looked at her seriously then, eyes shifting towards the other box. “And two bites of your pancakes.”

Taeyeon snorted and Tiffany finally laughed.

“Yeah sure, whatever you want,” Taeyeon said in mock defeat.

Their breakfast started and it was a friendly affair, alternating between playful banters and comfortable silences. Tiffany ate most of everything, with Taeyeon giving her her half of her pancakes.

“God, that was so good,” Tiffany moaned, making Taeyeon choke midbite. Discreetly she tried to swallow everything, masking her redened cheeks as she kept her head down.

“That was the best breakfast I’ve ever had in a while, Taeyeon. You’re awesome. Where have you been all my life?”

Taeyeon froze.

She actually felt her cheeks heating up, and her body going numb. When she lifted her head to look at Tiffany, she found her looking back at her with a soft smile on her lips.

Taeyeon let out a shy chuckle, brushing against Tiffany’s hand lightly as she reached for her coffee. “You know,” she said, looking straight at Tiffany’s eyes before taking a sip. “I’d like to ask the same thing.”

 

—–