Part III

Of Quaint Things and Faded Walls

III.

Close. So close.

Taeyeon had stood so close to her that she could actually count her eyelashes, catch the scent of her subtle perfume, and feel her warm breath against her lips.

Tiffany couldn’t stop thinking about it even days after it happened, and it frustrated her to no end, distracted her from work and from everything she needed to do. Her office was still cluttered, but her mind was messier than ever.

Tiffany sighed.

It was still early yet she already felt drained, staring lifelessly at the lumps of uncut cloth on her work table. Her coffee mug laid untouched beside her pink planner—cold and stale, begging for attention.

When Taeyeon left with her sketches, she took her eagerness and motivation with her, leaving Tiffany with nothing but the memory of her lopsided smile and meaningful stare. All she could think about after their encounter were her eyes, and how they twinkled in amusement when she stuttered because of their proximity. That, and the small fact that a measly push could get them to kiss.

Kiss.

Tiffany sighed again.

It was probably Taeyeon’s second visit with Hyoyeon that she finally realized that she was attracted to her. The woman wasn’t only easy on the eyes, but she was also effortlessly funny, witty, and very intellectual. She was the very definition of beauty and brains, and Tiffany was just… enthralled.

Kim Taeyeon was a dangerously attractive girl.

 

———

———

 

Taeyeon let her head lull backwards, leaning on the backrest of her office chair as she spun slowly.

She only wanted to remove the piece of thread that had clung distractingly on Tiffany Hwang’s back, but her good intentions had led to something really unexpected, and it’s messing up with her brain.

Taeyeon knew she was attracted to her best friend’s wedding dress designer since she saw her for the first time, but when she accidentally got to stand face to face with her, the attraction blew and Taeyeon got hit right in the gut.

“God, she’s amazing…” She whispered to herself.

It happened days ago, but nothing could erase the memory of Tiffany Hwang’s full lips, inches away from her own.

“This is insane,” she muttered.

“No, you’re insane.”

Taeyeon rolled her eyes at Hyoyeon who casually strolled into her office without knocking, dumping all of her stuff on her desk before jumping on the sofa facing her. She noticed Tiffany’s binder in her best friend’s hands, making her smile instantly.

Hyoyeon smirked, looking up from the binder briefly before focusing on the page again. “Hmm, smiling to herself. Nice. You are crazy,” she said, loudly.

“Shut it. You won’t understand.”

“What’s there to understand, Taeng? You’re obviously head over heels for her.”

Taeyeon stood and walked towards the front of her desk, leaning backwards as she crossed her arms across her chest. “No, Hyo,” she said, facing the girl. “You really won’t understand…” She looked down at her shoes, smiling.

 

Taeyeon couldn’t hide her smile as she descended from the stairs, holding the binders in her hands securely. Tiffany was right behind her, insisted on walking her towards her car.

“Where’s Hyoyeon, by the way?” She heard the girl ask as they reached the bottom.

Taeyeon stopped to look at her, grinning as Tiffany smiled when their eyes met.

“She’s out of the country. Work emergency.”

“Ah.” Tiffany nodded.

They continued to walk until they reached the door, with the other girl opening it for her and letting her step outside first.

The streets were empty and it somehow made Taeyeon happy. She almost skipped to her Beetle when she remembered she still had company. When she looked behind her, she found Tiffany staring at her car with an obvious glint in her eyes.

“You drive a fully restored Type 1?!” The girl asked in amazement, and never in Taeyeon’s life, had she been so attracted to anyone before.

 

“She called my car a ‘Type 1′,” Taeyeon continued with a dreamy look on her face. “Not a ‘Beetle’, and definitely not a ‘Bug’. Type 1, Hyo. Type-ing-1.”

Her best friend threw her a disgusted look but she ignored it, opting to continue.

“Do you have any idea how many women know about the Volkswagen Beetle? None. I have never met a girl who knows about them. Until now.” Taeyeon sighed, dazed. “She’s amazing, Hyo. She’s beautiful. She’s funny. She’s intelligent—heck, she knows about vintage cars, for Christ’s sake! She—”

“Jesus, you are crazy. I’m leaving.”

In mere seconds, Hyoyeon had already collected all her stuff and was almost out the door. Taeyeon stayed on her spot, snickering. “I told you, you won’t understand.”

“Yeah right, crazy girl.” She heard Hyoyeon say, stopping by the doorway. “By the way, don’t forget, Tiffany needs to take your measurements. So come by the shop later.”

“What? But today’s inventory—” The door slammed. “Day.”

Taeyeon could only slump on her desk with a huff, thinking of the busy day ahead.

 

—–