Part IV

Of Quaint Things and Faded Walls

IV.

“Jesus…” Taeyeon muttered to herself, slumped on her office chair after a long day.

She almost fell off a nine meter high shelf, and her heart was still beating wildly against her ribcage. Adrenaline continued to surge in her veins at the almost-tragedy, and it could’ve been the end of everything, but Taeyeon felt like it only marked the beginning of something more… life threatening.

It made her sigh, sinking into her seat further.

She had always been careful whenever she did inventory checks especially on the higher shelves of her family’s hardware store, but lately she found herself unconsciously preoccupied that she actually missed her footing on the ladder, almost resulting to her untimely demise. She screamed like a total idiot while she held onto the ledge with one hand, until one of her employees saved her when he saw her dangling from the shelf.

It was frightening, but in spite of being seconds away from dying, the only thought that Taeyeon had in her head was Tiffany and Tiffany taking her measurements.

And just then, Taeyeon realized with dread that she was supposed to be somewhere else at that moment, and that she was already late.

 

—–

 

“I’m so sorry, I’m really sorry. I had so much stuff to do at work and I lost track of time, and then I almost died, and—”

Tiffany’s giggles made Taeyeon stop and look.

“Breathe,” the girl said, yet Taeyeon was doing everything but.

Not when Tiffany was standing there looking very beautiful in a simple, loose white shirt and cropped shorts, hair in a messy bun and face looking really fresh. She had a soft smile on her lips and it took a lot out of Taeyeon’s self control not to fall down on her knees in worship.

She was about to speak when Tiffany’s smile instantly dropped, eyebrows furrowing.

“Wait, did you just say you almost died?” The designer asked in concern, to which Taeyeon just laughed at. “Just a little accident at work,” she said, brushing it off, yet grimacing inwardly at the memory of herself dangling from the shelf.

“Are you sure? We can just move this to another time.”

“No, no. I’ve already inconvenienced you enough by being late.”

“It’s okay. I got your message from my assistant, so all’s well.” Tiffany laid the cloth she was holding on the table and faced her. “Also, I stayed because of the food you promised.” She grinned.

“Well, I hope you like chicken.”

Taeyeon raised the huge plastic bag in her hands and she almost laughed when Tiffany’s eyes lit like fireworks.

“Are you kidding me?! I love chicken!”

 

———

———

 

Tiffany leaned back on her chair, barely breathing from eating too much. Her guest wasn’t doing well either, with the girl’s upper body sprawled on the table in between the plates and glasses.

“That was really good… chicken,” Tiffany said, stifling a burp.

She watched Taeyeon turn her head with difficulty, facing her before pressing her cheek back on the table. “I’m so full,” the girl said, almost groaning. “We shouldn’t have finished the whole box.”

“Too late for that now.”

Taeyeon groaned loudly this time and Tiffany chuckled.

“I don’t think you can take my measurements tonight,” the girl suddenly said, grimacing.

“Why?”

Heaving, Taeyeon lifted her body off the table, leaning back on the chair like a dead weight. She patted her stomach and Tiffany couldn’t help but laugh after seeing the noticeable bump on the girl’s shirt.

“Yeah, I agree,” the designer said in between her chuckles. “Unless you want your dress to be a little big around the waist area.”

Taeyeon glared at her and Tiffany laughed again. “Just kidding.”

With a grunt, Tiffany finally got to stand up, rubbing her tummy blissfully as she started to clean up. They ate on a small table at the corner of the studio, away from everything that could be ruined by food spills. Taeyeon followed soon after, collecting the remaining takeout boxes before shoving them in the trash bin.

Tiffany dusted her hands when they were done, turning towards Taeyeon who sat back lazily on her chair. “I’m gonna make some tea. Would you like some?” She offered.

“If it’s not too much of a bother, then yes please.”

“Okay, I’ll be back.”

“Thanks, Tiffany.”

The floorboards creaked behind her as she walked, and it made Tiffany smile, oddly. She felt light in spite of the full meal she just had, and she wanted to think nothing of it, but it would be useless because she knew it was indeed something. She just had a very casual dinner with Taeyeon and it felt great—more than awesome, really—and Tiffany was just… really happy.

Taeyeon was a gracious guest, polite and respectful, and she was just easy to get along with.

They were comfortable with each other, and it was a bit peculiar to be like that with someone she just knew for weeks, but it was lovely, she had to admit; it was really nice.

Tiffany kept her smile until she reached the small pantry at the end of the hall. As soon as she stepped foot inside, her hands moved like clockwork, reaching for the jars that held her favorite tea, and the mugs that she kept there for herself and for her visiting clients.

When she got back to where Taeyeon was, she found the girl standing beside her faded walls, knocking on the concrete lightly.

The petite girl looked at her and smiled, taking one mug from her hand when she got nearer. “Your walls need a little fixing,” Taeyeon said, pointing at the concrete while she took a careful sip from her mug.

Tiffany grimaced. “I know,” she nodded. “I’ve been meaning to but it’s been a little busy around here. I have no idea who to contact, either—”

“I can do it.”

Taeyeon said all of a sudden, looking at her from behind her mug. “If you want,” she added.

Tiffany almost snorted. She looked at Taeyeon incredulously, and the girl just chuckled.

“Wow, you are so judgmental,” the girl teased.

Tiffany could only laugh, shrugging her off as she walked towards her desk. She deposited her mug carefully on the side before leaning on the table, still with that disbelieving look on her face.

She watched as Taeyeon chuckled even more, leaning back on the wall facing her.

“I’m serious, Tiffany,” she said. “It will only take two, three days tops. Your walls are still pretty much intact. It’s just the finishing that needs fixing. And maybe a little painting.”

Tiffany was trying to hold her laughter in, but her shoulders were already shaking and the corner of her lips were twitching.

“Oh my God, stop it!” Taeyeon half yelled, and Tiffany finally laughed.

“You can’t blame me, you barely look legal! And you talking about walls and concrete isn’t making it better!”

Taeyeon laughed as she pushed herself off the wall, reaching for her wallet while she walked towards Tiffany. The designer watched her place her mug beside hers before completely fishing her wallet from her back pocket.

“Here.” Taeyeon handed her a card. “My family is into construction. We have a hardware store not too far from here, too.”

Kim Taeyeon – General Manager, Concrete Works, the card said in bold letters. But it was the number at the bottom that somehow made Tiffany smile wider. She tapped the card on her palm and looked back at her.

“I’ll think about it.”

Taeyeon’s smile was blinding. “Okay,” she said. “Good enough.”

 

-----