May 14th

Mid Month Celebrations
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I was actually looking forward to May 14th this year. On previous years, I would just go out to eat curry with my other single friends, but this year, I would be able to celebrate Yellow Day, or Rose Day, because I had a boyfriend.

 

"I'm so jealous of you," my younger sister says enviously as she watches me get ready for my date. Not turning away from the mirror, I smile, knowing she'd see my reflection.

 

"You'll have your chance one day. I had to wait 22 years for this," I remind her. "Besides, going out to eat curry with friends isn't so bad. I almost miss it."

 

My sister scoffs. "Yeah, right."

 

"No, really, I do." I clasp on my other earring and turn around. "But of course, I'd rather go on a date." I shoot a teasing smile to my sister who rolls her eyes good-naturedly.

 

The door bell echoes just then, and I hurry out of my room, only to see my father opening the door already. Behind the door stands my boyfriend, Joonmyeon, holding a beautiful bouquet of roses.

 

"Aw, is this for me?" my father jokes. "You shouldn't have."

 

Joonmyeon only chuckles, and I roll my eyes, a habit I share with my sister. "Dad, that was so lame," I tell him as I approach them, and he pretends to be hurt.

 

"How dare you, young lady," he scolds me before turning to my boyfriend. "Joonmyeon, I'm so sorry you have my daughter as your girlfriend. She can be quite brutal with her words."

 

"I know quite well, sir," my boyfriend says, eyeing me. "Only God knows how many times I've been on the receiving end of her sharp words." I glare at him, and he smiles at me cheekily before handing me the bouquet, which I grudgingly take.

 

My father tsks his tongue. "You better be nice to him," he warns me. "I'd rather have him as a son-in-law than any other guy."

 

"Dad!" I protest, blushing because marriage is a concept that seems so far away. I'm only 22 for goodness sake!

 

He laughs in response and nudges me lightly out of the door. "Hurry up and go."

 

"Are you trying to get rid of me, dad?" I accuse as he tries to close the door on me.

 

"Maybe," I hear him say before the door closes. Not a moment later does it swing back open because he needs to say, "Joonmyeon, as always, I'm trusting you with my daughter."

 

My boyfriend salutes. "Of course, sir. I wouldn't dare losing the respect of my possible father-in-law," he jokes, knowing how I blush every time I consider marriage.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter