Ch1: An angel's duty

Believe it

JI HAE (OC) POV

“You already understand your yearly duty. Therefore here is your folder with the client, Jung Daehyun. As usual it is up to you to choose a suitable partner for the client. If you are unable to complete the task by the end of the year your angel privileges will be taken from you and you will vanish from the angel and human world.” The folder was slid across the table by the angel board as they continued speaking “You will be given a day to study your client before entering the human world”

I gave my thanks and left the board room. Another year’s duty. This was simple. Transform into a human, make two people fall in love. Every year it was the same duty. Apparently love was disappearing from the human world. With more people “in love” with inanimate objects or instead of feeling love they feel lust, it is an angel’s duty to bring two people into a relationship.

As I entered my room I opened my client’s folder.

Name: Jung Daehyun

21 years old. He attends the Korean National University of Arts majoring in singing/performance.

‘Sounds easy enough’ I told myself. My mother came into the room as I was looking at Daehyun’s profile.

“Jung Daehyun?!” She said in shock

I nodded before answering “Why? Do you know him?”

My mother’s lips turned into a straight line before she sighed “Didn’t you hear last year’s news? Jung Daehyun was a difficult client. Arrogant and disrespectful. Don’t let that handsome face fool you. The angel who received him as a client last year failed and vanished. Our first angel failure in 5 years.”

“He can’t be that bad mother. Either way I’m determined to fulfil my duty.” I smirked in determination

I packed my bags ready to leave for the human world. The angel board had arranged everything for me. I was to act as a student at the university majoring in the same course as Daehyun. ‘As I always say, stick close to your client’. They arranged a dorm for me as well. Nothing is going to stop me from completing this duty.

Goodbyes were given by my close family and friends as they looked at me solemnly. I giggled and shook my head. ‘If anyone was going to make Jung Daehyun fall in love with a chosen suitor, it was me.’

The portal opened and I was whisked through, colours surrounding me. I closed my eyes feeling the cooling sensation. When I reopened my eyes, my surroundings became clear. In front of my dorm just like they told me. A golden key appeared in my hands and I entered my dorm.

I changed into a white blouse and a pink high waisted skirt with matching pink heels. ‘Must look presentable to choose Daehyun’s future partner’

Just as I was closing the door to my dorm, a girl with long black hair bumped into me, her books and papers falling to the ground “I’m so sorry. I’m late for a student meeting.”

I couldn’t even get a word out before I helped her with her books and she left running to her meeting. ‘I think I just found the perfect partner for Daehyun’

Now I just needed to find Daehyun. So if I was Daehyun where would I be?... Singing. There was one thing I learnt from studying his client folder. Daehyun loved singing… and food. Singing was his passion and although he was a disrespectful jerk to most people he would win everyone over with his singing.

I walked around the singing block of the university looking into the classrooms and practice rooms I was starting to lose hope in finding Daehyun here but as soon as I heard a voice down the corridor singing ‘Proposal’ by Noel I knew it had to be him. The voice was so sweet yet powerful at the same time. Out of my sudden realisation it was him I shouted “Jung Daehyun!”

He looked at me confused then a glare came from his eyes. I rushed up to him as he stood there in the middle of the corridor. He was better looking in real life. He had the perfect face shape with pretty good hair and lips. ‘Don’t let that handsome face fool you’ I heard my mother’s voice ring through my head.

“Uhm. Who are you and what do you want?” He said in an intimidating voice interrupting my thoughts and bringing me out of a trance.

“Hi I’m Song Ji Hae. I’m new here and I heard you were the one to go to for assistance in the singing course” I said as brightly as I could, hoping to break his glare. I didn’t want to give my angel cover away just yet. Not until he trusts me.

“Clearly you’re new.” He looked me up and down “I’m not willing to give my ‘assistance’ away so you can leave me alone”

I scoffed as he swiftly turned his heel and continued walking in the other direction. “Jerk” I muttered under my breath. I heard a laugh as I blew a hair from my face.

“That’s the reaction every girl gets when they get rejected by Daehyun yet girls still go after him” A young man walked and stood in front of me. He had a baby face and a sweet smile. His hand extended for me to shake “Hi. I’m Yoo Youngjae. Daehyun is well like you said a jerk but he’s a great singer. It’s hard to get close to him”

I shook his hand “Thanks, I know that now.”

Youngjae offered to show me around the university. He showed me the best places I could sit if I ever wanted to be alone, the practice rooms, the art department and lastly the lunch area. “Come on, maybe you can get a better start with Daehyun” He led me to a table where Daehyun was seated.

As I sat down across from Daehyun, he looked up giving me his signature glare. “The girl from this morning? Didn’t you get the message?” He rolled his eyes

I sat there still in shock like this morning. When I told my mother he couldn’t be that bad… now I understand why she laughed at my ignorance. Luckily Youngjae helped with the tension.

“She’s in the same course as us”

Daehyun ignored Youngjae and looked straight at me “Can you sing well?” Although he was patronising me this was the first time he looked me in the eye. ‘That’s a start’

“Yeah a bit” I replied softly

“If you’re any good, I’ll give you a chance” My face broke out into a smile but he held up a finger before I could start talking “Just because Youngjae seems to like you”

In the corner of my eye Youngjae just rolled his eyes and we both followed Daehyun to one of the practice rooms for him to assess my singing ability.

SINGING ABILITY? I did not think this through. I’ve only sang for fun, but not in front of people. I didn’t even know if I was good. No one in the angel world really cared for talent, we mainly focused on our yearly duty.  If I stuff this up Daehyun will NEVER give me another chance… and I won’t be able to have him fall in love with the girl I chose.

The two boys sat across me in the room. ‘This was intimidating’. I don’t even know what song to sing.

“You can start whenever you want. I don’t believe you have the ability to sing as well as me but give it a try”

Now I was frustrated. How could anyone be so rude?

I spoke up before I started singing “Well Jung Daehyun, believe it

-----

Hi everyone. The first chapter of ‘Believe it’ is up! Hope you enjoy this story… There may be a few spelling and grammar mistakes PLEASE FORGIVE ME. Thanks for reading ^^