Infiltration

Party Crashers

 

 

                 Procrastination is a virtue.

                  Taehyung sent that text right after describing how he spent his Saturday night organizing rice by the length, color, and thickness of each individual grain. He concludes that ninety-five percent of the grains were an off-white color, reasonably sized for consumption and that it’s two in the morning so he’s going to come over today to finish the homework he should’ve done days ago.

                  Frankly, Jimin gives no s (however, he is concerned about the remaining percentage of rice Taehyung had failed to mention). So upon getting out of bed Sunday morning, he doesn’t even flinch when finding his friend on the living room sofa with a bowl of damp cheerios.

                  “Good morning!” Taehyung greets with a spoon in his mouth. He’d been watching TV.

                  “Morning,” he yawns in response. “Did my parents leave for work?”

                  The other boy nods. “They left you breakfast in the kitchen, it’s like a sandwich or something. And they also wanted to say that they’ll be home by nine today because of mid-season sales.”

                  “Okay.” Jimin leaves to fetch his food and backpack. When he returns, Taehyung’s at the coffee table with his homework out. “What do you have to do?”

                  “English,” he groans. He squints at several pages in his textbook. “I can’t do it.”

                  Jimin sits down with his papers as well. “Just focus, you’ll be fine.” He relishes a full five seconds of pure silence, managing to answer half a question before Taehyung speaks again.

                  “Did you hear from Hyejin?!” he shouts, startling him out of his wits.

                  “No,” Jimin sighs. “You still talk to her?”

                  “Yeah? Just because she called me a stupid carrot last year doesn’t mean I can’t talk to her.”

                  “Right… What did you hear from her?”

                  “She told me that Namjoon got suspended for a week!” Taehyung’s doing this trippy pencil twirl with his fingers. “Which to me, doesn’t really do any justice. He painted the whole ing school! He should’ve been expelled!”

                  Jimin makes an attempt at the twirl too, but his pencil just flops onto the table. “Namjoon’s the president of 0206 though… and you know how the school loves Robotics. Staff went a lot easier on him than with anime club last year.”

                  Taehyung picks up his pencil and starts to twirl with both hands. Jimin makes a face. “Must be nice being an executive member… I wanna be an exec too!”

                  “Of what, the Losers’ Club?”

                  “Ha ha.”

                 “But that’s actually a thing,” Jimin replies very seriously. “It’s an after school club that helps students recuperate from significant losses. They run on Mondays.”

                  “Oh. Um, no thanks.” Taehyung laughs and holds either pencil as if they were forks. “I want to be a cool exec, like Jin-sunbae! He’s editor-in-chief of the Yearbook, president of cooking club and—”

                  “Dance team,” the other boy finishes. “I know. You’ve only told me a billion times.” He takes back his pencil and writes down ‘x=530’. “Why do you like Seokjin so much, anyway?”

                 Taehyung frowns. “Because he’s like, super cool? Why don’t you?”

                  Jimin just shrugs. “Dunno, I just don’t think he’s all that to be hyped up about. He’s just a guy.”

                  “A cool one,” he interjects. “So cool that he’s throwing the biggest party of the year… OH YEAH! WE’RE SUPPOSED TO CRASH THAT PARTY!”

                  Jimin winces. “You’re still going on about that?”

                  “Yeah! You have to crash it with me, man. It’ll be epic, and you kind of owe me.”

                  The idea doesn’t even sound remotely good, but Taehyung’s right; he promised that he’d audition for the dance team and failed. He’s kind of a letdown and he’s disappointed his best friend one too many times. The least he could do is humor the guy for a while. He deserves it.

                  “Fine, but even if we do… crash this party, how the hell are we supposed to do it?”

                  “Well, first—!” Taehyung pulls out a lined sheet of paper. “Since we’re clearly not invited, we need to scout the venue in order to find potential points of entry to infiltrate the area. The front doors are not an option, considering last year’s top-of-the-line security; they screened everyone entering and leaving the premises, so we’ve no choice but a back door, a side door, sewer grate, ceiling tiles, etcetera.”

                 Jimin blinks. “… So… Where’s the venue?”

                  “… I don’t know.” The orange-topped idiot grins, idiocy practically radiating from his pearly whites. “But, I ran through the last ten years of grad parties in our immediate area and they generally hold the thing at the host’s house. We’ll have to find out where Jin-sunbae lives. So far, I’ve decided that when we make our grand entrance, the Pokémon theme song is gonna play.”

                  “Right…” Jimin’s phone vibrates, so he reaches over to pick it up.

                  “Is it a girl?” He’s a step too slow, because Taehyung has it in his hand. “… OH MY GOD, IT IS A GIRL!”

                  Panicking, Jimin flails his arms everywhere in order to retrieve it. “Give it back!” His face starts to glow bright pink as he’s climbing over the table, protest accumulating by the second.

                  “Hey, this Park Chanmi chick sent you a message via Facebook,” Taehyung sings, sprinting out of the room. “I’m gonna reply to her!”

                  Jimin screeches. “STOP, YOU CONSTRUCTION CONE!” He chases him around the house, spouting several obscure profanities that include, but are not limited to, ‘insolent codfish’ (?). By the time he manages to apprehend the idiot in the kitchen, it’s too late.

                 Pinning Taehyung facedown onto the kitchen counter, Jimin plucks the phone from his grasp and opens his Facebook. There’s a message from Chanmi sent to him approximately two minutes ago that reads: ‘hey, i didnt see u at the audition on friday TnT’.

                 As cute as that emoticon was, he’s a little seethed at what Taehyung typed up in response; ‘bc i am n00b llololollilllilool’, ‘SWSG’ and then ‘SWAG*’ right after.

                 “… You are dead to me,” Jimin hisses while replying with a thorough explanation and apology on the behalf of a certain orange-haired moron (who’s crying actual tears of laughter).

 

 

--

 

 

                 “Chanmi was in my class once.”

                  They’re back in the living room, having brought out the snacks because doing half a question was enough for the hour. The TV’s on, playing some third-rate anime with really bad Korean dubbing. Taehyung’s gnawing on chips while Jimin’s taking his sweet time with a string of licorice.

                  The latter male looks up at him. “Really?”

                  “Yeah. Hold up, I think I have a picture on my phone.”

                  “What?!” He looks absolutely horrified. “Why do you—?”

                  Taehyung knocks him on the head. “That’s not what I mean. Hoseok and I took a selfie in English last year and I think she was—yeah, here. She’s in the background, see?”

                 Jimin squints at the screen. On the right are a younger Taehyung (with noticeably darker locks) and a guy he recognizes as Hoseok, who’s in their grade. They’re both making ridiculous faces, so he almost misses the girl in the back with huge glasses and an outdated fashion sense; it’s a downgraded version of Chanmi. “… Whoa.”

                  “I know, right?!” Taehyung exclaims, zooming in on her face. “She was so retro last year.”

                  “She’s pretty now,” says Jimin. “But she was really cute back then, too.”

                  His friend looks at him in shock. “Wait, actually? Huh, you must really like this chick if you can stand this. She had braces and , dude.”

                  He shrugs. “I wonder why she didn’t mention you. She knows we’re friends.”

                  “Well, I wouldn’t bring up my past if I looked like that.”

                  “Rude.”

                  Taehyung laughs. “But yeah, if you like her, then that’s good. Just don’t force yourself to like her. Anyway…” He picks up the lined sheet from earlier. It now says ‘Park Jimin and Kim Tae: da real party crashers’ in fine chicken scratch on top. “Party, crash, plan, now.”

                  Jimin groans. “Can we at least do our homework first? You know the thing you came here to do?”

                 “Alright, alright.” He sits down at his work. “What’s sixty-four times six?”

                 “Three hundred and eighty-four. What’s a simile?”

                  “A literary device in which two unlike things are compared, utilizing words such as like, as, than, and so; ‘she is like a butterfly’ is an example of a simile.”

                  A few seconds pass as they’re both writing answers. Then Jimin says, “Done?”

                  “Done,” Taehyung replies, slamming shut his textbook and tossing his papers aside. “Let’s work on the plan.”

                  “Quick question,” Jimin hesitates and then asks. “How on earth does Hyejin know Namjoon?”

                  “She doesn’t. She knows like Namjoon’s distant cousin-thrice-removed-in-law or something—”

                  “And why do you really want to crash the party? Are you sure you just don’t want to impress?”

                  Taehyung snorts. “Nah, of course not! I want to do this for the benefit of our social lives. You know, for us.”

                  Jimin stares at him for a minute before sighing in defeat. “… If you say so.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 


I don't remember who I was referring to when I mentioned 'Hyejin', but probably mamamoo's Hwasa who is also a 95-liner!
ALSO did anyone see the MV teaser??? and the album preview?? TTTT