Festivities

Party Crashers

 

 

                 After stuttering in front of a customer for the nth time, Jimin was tragically demoted from third cashier to cupcake duty. It would’ve been fine since he wasn’t good with people anyway, but his classmates made a huge deal out of it and deemed their mascot the ‘shy unicorn’.

                  Now he stands at the back of the room, blue unicorn onesie and all, sulking as he drops pumpkin-shaped candies onto the cupcakes. He even caught Chanmi giggling at him.

                  Fall Fest started nearly two hours ago, with family and friends filing into their classroom to buy desserts. A good number of the crowd seem to be particularly festive; kids to adults are donned in vampire outfits, zombie make-up, and fairy tiaras amongst other things.

                  Jimin spotted a toddler wearing the same onesie as him and the whole class erupted in coos and squealing, even going so far as to make him pose with the little child for a picture. He managed to escape the situation by declaring he had a sudden case of appendicitis.

                  Upon returning from his faux trip to the bathroom, he finds his peers lounging around or not at all there, signaling the start of break time. “Hey!” Chanmi grins at him when he strides in. She offers him a cookie with a chocolate spider drawn over it. “I just wanted to ask… why the unicorn?”

                  He looks down at his outfit and shrugs. “Taehyung wanted to match like we do every year.” He decides to leave out the fact that the guy wanted them to be ‘’. “Are you the yellow Power Ranger?”

                  “Yup!” She does one of the iconic poses, making her look dorkier than what he’s used to. “Or maybe I’m making a political statement on how the yellow ranger tends to be Asian. You don’t know.”

                  He snorts, and then blushes because the sound came out weird.

                  Across the room, Sanghyuk bellows a line from a popular anime (while inappropriately cosplaying from a different show) and launches an attack on another classmate using silly string. Everyone shrieks and ducks for cover while Chanmi, out of the spur of the moment, grabs Jimin’s hand and pulls him into the hallway.

                  The door closes behind them, war sounds muffled from outside. “… Oh! I’m sorry,” the girl blurts, releasing her grip on his fingers.

                  “I-It’s okay,” he stammers. They both stand there with pink cheeks, staring at anything but each other. It’s a suffocating moment of unease until she speaks again.

                  “… So uh, are you going to the Fall Ball after this?”

                  Jimin blinks at her. “A-Are you?”

                  “I’ll go if you go.” She beams, her eyes shrinking into happy crescents.

                  “I-I guess we can go together then,” he says, blushing so hard his ears feel like they’re alight.

                  “Okay!” She looks over his shoulder. “Well, I see a guy dressed as a pink unicorn running in our general direction, so I guess I’ll see you later?”

                  “Huh—?”

                  His feet abruptly fly off the ground as he’s thrown over a shoulder. “I’m borrowing him!” Taehyung hollers, flaunting his pink variation of Jimin’s outfit. “Not to worry, I shall return him at 12:02, sharp! THANK YOU VERY MUCH, M’LADY!”

                  “TAE—!” Jimin screeches, but he’s already running off and Chanmi shrinks into the far distance, waving goodbye. “Where are we going?!”

                  “We’re exploring!” Taehyung puts him down after a rocky ride up the stairs. “Let’s do stuff!”

                  “But don’t you have to help out your class?” Jimin asks, dusting himself off. They start walking down the halls, noting the cheap Halloween décor lining the rooms. It’s crowded, even on the third floor. He hangs onto his friend’s elbow.

                  Taehyung scoffs. “Go watch a bunch of nine-year-old kids play COD and tell me if you’re still sane.”

                  “True.” He points to a food stand run by third years. “I want French fries.”

                  “Alright.” Taehyung walks up to the booth and orders a box. “Hey, I want to see that haunted house Yoongi’s class set up,” he says after inhaling a quarter of the fries.

                  They walk a bit more before the attraction comes into view, fully equipped with screaming playbacks, lights, and fancy fog machines. To contrast, there’s a cardboard sign on the door that reads ‘the Bat Cave—Haunted Ver.’ in red spray paint. Yoongi stands under it, draped in ragged overalls and messy hair.

                  The older boy spots the two and gives them a swift salute. “What’s up?”

                  Taehyung snorts. “What are you, a doorman?”

                  “No, I’m Chuckie,” Yoongi deadpans, waving a knife about in the air. “I’m gonna assume you two are twin unicorns.”

                  “Hey wait, that knife looks suspiciously real!”

                  “Maybe it is?” Jimin watches as he lunges for Taehyung’s chest, only to see the knife bend like cheap rubber. Taehyung still huddles over himself in mock pain, and Jimin thinks it’s funny until he sees a drip of red in between his friend’s fingers.

                  He panics. “H-HYUNG, YOU STABBED HIM!” Half-eaten fries fall out of his mouth.

                  Yoongi starts losing it too. “WHAT? HOW DID I—? IT’S A ING TOY!”

                  Taehyung doubles over, laughing so hard that he’s clutching his crotch to avoid pissing himself. In the midst of his giggle fit, both Jimin and Yoongi stare in horror as he lifts up a burst ketchup packet.

                  “… You er,” the eldest boy curses, leaning against the wall to groan.

                  “You’d think that after seeing you do that for the second time today,” Jimin sighs, “I wouldn’t fall for it again, but… I can’t believe you squeezed ketchup in your hand like that.”

                  “It’s all good!” Taehyung wipes his ketchup-smeared hand onto his fries. While passersby look at them in distaste, a familiar face appears at the entrance of the haunted house, stoic and blank as usual; it’s Jungkook adorned in a large, purple afro. “Did he just go through the course?” The pink unicorn asks, his fingers. “He doesn’t look scared.”

                  “This kid is actually our test subject,” Yoongi replies. “A couple of us decided that if Jungkook doesn’t get scared going through the course, then it’s not scary enough and we have to ramp up our game. It’s his fifth time going through and not a damn peep.”

                  “I would like to assert an opinion,” Jungkook says. “The person dressed as a pile of green foliage did catch me off guard while turning the corner.”

                  “It’s supposed t’be a sewer monster, but that’s something.” He sticks his head into the room and shouts, “Hey Mark! Your act is working!”

                  Taehyung nudges Jimin’s elbow. “Let’s go in.”

                  “Sure. It’s two thousand won, right?”

                  “One thousand.” Yoongi raises a finger. “You guys get a discount.”

                  “Whoahohohahaho!” The orange-topped kid shouts. “Wow! You sir, are cool. Thanks, Yoongi!”

                  “That’s ‘hyung’ to you, brat. Hurry up before I get in trouble.”

                  Just before he follows an excited Taehyung in, Jimin glances at Yoongi and smiles. “Thanks.”

                  The guy gives him another tousle on the head. “Don’t mention it.”

                  It’s a little darker than expected, so another student has to direct them into the course. Soft, haunting music plays from somewhere as they tread carefully around the black curtains that make up walls. Cobwebs hang in their faces and cold air breezes onto them.  Jimin thinks it’s amazing how they managed to set all this up in one classroom.

                  Around four metres in, a girl dressed up as a broken doll pops out in front of them. Taehyung screams before she utters a sound, startling both her and Jimin. He latches onto the latter’s elbow and ushers them forward. “… Why did I say that we should do this…?”

                  “You know they’re not real, right?” Jimin says, having a little difficulty containing his laughter.

                  “It’s not like you don’t get scared!” He jumps at a bouncy spider. “! GET IT AWAY FROM ME!”

                  Jimin lifts a hand to stifle his snorts. “I do, but I’m a realistic person… There are people under those costumes.”

                  “THAT DOESN’T CONVINCE ME OF ANYTHING!” he wails, incessantly avoiding the hands that grab at their ankles. As they round the corner, Taehyung bumps into another figure and is faced with a male in a horse mask. “… HOLY ING !” he screams his head off, causing the horse-man to shriek as well. Then he pauses mid-scream and blinks at the darkness. “Wait, you sound familiar. Hoseok?”

                  “Taehyung?” The horse replies, and within a second or two a phone light illuminates the small space. They decide the mask is a lot creepier when they can see it. “Oh my god, it’s Jimin too. I’m so glad to see you guys!”

                  An eerie cry echoes from somewhere behind them, so Taehyung blinks back tears and suggests that they get the hell out of there.

 

 

--

 

 

                  Jimin watches as those two give each other violent chest bumps and laugh as they return to the hall. He’s not jealous; Jimin doesn’t talk to him as much as Taehyung does, even though they both met the guy in middle school. So the ensuing fist bump Hoseok gives him is an awkward moment, if anything.

                  “Long time no see, dude!” he says, clapping Jimin’s shoulder. Hoseok still looks the same even with the aftermath of puberty. He has sleek black hair with a wide-set mouth, baring all of his teeth in a dazzling smile. “How’s life been treatin’ ya?”

                  “Good,” Jimin replies, half-conscious of the fact that his sombre expression doesn’t match the delight of Hoseok’s. “Th-Thank you for the birthday broadcast.”

                  He shoots a glare at Taehyung. “You told him that I helped you out?”

                  “What?” Taehyung shrugs. “You did a good job, so I gave you credit, you .”

                  “Alright, alright…” Hoseok beams at Jimin. “I’m glad you liked it, kiddo! Well, I’m due at the studio for some lame-o Halloween party, so I’ll see you kids around!”

                  “W-Wait! Um…” Jimin glances at Taehyung. “Come h-hang out with us tonight, Hoseok.”

                  The other two say ‘what?’ simultaneously. “Wait, actually?” Hoseok grins. “If you don’t mind me runnin’ into your man date, you know, that’d be cool.”

                  “Yeah, it’ll be fun. We’re at my house around six. Y-You still have my number, right?”

                  “Yeah, man!” He gives Jimin an arm bump. “Thanks for inviting me, mate. I’ll be there!”

                  When Hoseok disappears into the crowd, Taehyung grabs Jimin’s wrist. “What’s up?” he asks, concern written all over his face.

                  “What?”

                  “It’s not like you to invite other people into our hangouts,” he says. “You prefer to have as little people around you, at all times! Who are you? What have you done with Park Jimin?”

                  Jimin blinks and stares at the floor. “I thought it wouldn’t be good if I closed in on myself all the time. It’s not that people don’t talk to me, it’s because I don’t talk to people. And Hoseok’s been friends with us for a long time, so why not?”

                  “Yeah, he has…” Taehyung shoves the boy into his chest and hugs him. “I’ve never seen you so inclusive before. I’m really proud of you.”

                  “Alright, alright…” Jimin sighs of relief; it was a random act he didn’t think much about, but he’s glad he went through with it. He considers being spontaneous more often, especially if it makes a certain idiot happy.

 

 

--

 

 

                 It’s a synchronized moment of happiness when the last bell rings and the students head down to the gym for their well-deserved dance of the season. Jimin’s homeroom sold nearly every piece they made, with some leftovers wrapped to take home. It’s a feat in itself, considering how many of them ed up the baking process. Nevertheless, the whole class is ecstatic to go to the Fall Ball.

                 “Nice work today,” Chanmi says, grinning. “You really put a bit of effort into those cupcakes.”

                  Jimin frowns. “That sounds like sarcasm…” They walk down the stairs together, followed by the rest of their class. Sanghyuk can be heard at the end of the pack going, ‘I’M GONNA RAISE THE ROOF!’

                  “Honestly though,” the girl laughs. “You worked hard. Everyone did, so let’s have fun!”

                  “O-Okay.”

                  Music can be heard pumping even before they reach the gym doors. Their council did a great job of decorating the place; balloons hang in clumps against the wall while steamers fly from one corner to the next, like a giant spider web. Huddles of students have already gathered in the center, nodding their heads to the beat.

                  Jimin has never been to a school dance before, so he’s a little overwhelmed at the action. When Chanmi invites him to dance, he thinks about being into the abyss that are crowds and has a nervous breakdown. “N-N-No, I’m f-fine.”

                  “What?!” she speaks loudly over the music. “I can’t hear you, speak up!”

                  “Y-You go on ahead!”

                  “Are you sure?” Chanmi looks like she expects him to get out there, to bust some moves like he’s got all the confidence in the world. “Okay, but come join me soon!”

                  He watches as she seeps into the muddle of people, dancing so naturally under the spotlights. Jimin breathes, slinking off towards the bleachers against the far wall to sit down. Sure, she asked him out and he couldn’t say no, but Jimin still can’t function around large crowds. He drowns in a pool of his own regret and sorrow.

                  While he’s busy reprimanding himself, a light object taps Jimin on the head. Jimin looks up at Yoongi’s dark figure and is pleasantly surprised to see him standing there. The older boy seems to have hit him with a rolled-up flyer. “… H-Hi,” he stammers.

                  “What are you doing?” Yoongi asks, sitting next to him. The usual camera is slung around his neck, ready to snap some event shots.

                  Jimin doesn’t know how to respond. So he says vaguely, “I’m being a-a chicken.”

                  “Oh?” The elder starts capturing the scene below them. It’s becoming more hyped up as the rest of the student body floods into the gym. Everyone everywhere is dancing, having the time of their lives. “How’s that working for you?”

                  He doesn’t say anything. Invasive thoughts appear in his mind, some darker than others. He sighs; he just wants to be the person who can assertively say, ‘I’m a dancer’, not some pathetic wimp on the bleachers.

                  Yoongi starts laughing, much to Jimin’s surprise. “Hey, look at that guy over there. What the is he doing?” He points to a boy at the edge of the masses, stiffly moving his arms as if he has worms up his sleeves. “And over there, that guy looks like he’s having a spasm.”

                  Jimin blinks at them. It’s a little funny, so he sacrifices a small chuckle. He’s not one to laugh at other people though, so he presses his lips together as soon as he makes a sound.

                  “I bet you can do better,” the older boy says, resting his arm across his shoulders. “You’d probably rip up the dance floor!”

                  “D-Don’t think so highly o-of me,” he utters.

                  Yoongi leans in, his face inching closer to Jimin’s. “I can’t hear you.”

                  “Don’t–!” Jimin starts, embarrassed at having to repeat himself. “–think so highly of me!”

                  He gives him a look and then stands up. Yoongi listens to the music for a bit before awkwardly swaying his body. “Can you do better than this?!” he asks, clapping off-beat.

                  Jimin stares at him before bursting into giggles. “What are you–what is that?!­”

                  “Okay, cool it, it’s not that funny.” Yoongi sits back down and coughs. He takes a couple more pictures. “For real though, I saw you dance once and thought you were really good at it.”

                  “Really? W-When did you see me dance?”

                  “During the talent show in middle school,” he replies. “It was a group thing so you were stuck at the back, but I still saw you. You were really good.”

                  “… I-I didn’t know we went to the same school. You know, it’s Halloween, but…” Jimin looks out at the crowd. The students formed a circle around a particular group of kids who seem to be giving their all to the music; Chanmi is one of those kids. “Th-This dance is the scariest thing I’ve seen a-all day.”

                  “Why don’t you dance with me then?”

                  He whips his head towards Yoongi, face ridden with disbelief. “H-Huh?”

                  The guy places his camera on the bleachers. “No one else is stupid enough to sit alone at a dance. The lights are all over the floor, they’re not gonna see us from here. Come on.” He holds out a hand, and Jimin has just the right amount of decency not to reject it.

                  He pulls the younger boy right out of his seat, bumping chests as he slips his other hand toward the small of Jimin’s back. Jimin coughs. “… I-Is this the waltz? While they’re b-blasting AOA?”

                  “You have seen me, first-hand, dance like a ing moron. This is the best I can do,” Yoongi defends himself. He holds Jimin’s hand gently in his as he leads them back and forth across the same space. “Take it or leave it.”

                  Jimin smiles like an idiot. “I-I’ll take it.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


I lowkey squealed when I wrote this chapter bc that Yoonmin :') wow such genius