Loss

Two Sides

"Surprise!" Was the first thing Atalanta heard when she woke up. She confusedly rubbed her eyes and looked around.

"Happy birthday, my lovely Greek maiden." her mom sang, giving Atalanta a huge kiss on her cheek. Atalanta's dad chuckled and gave her a box with pretty wrapping paper.

"Thanks dad," Her lips broke into a wide grin as she tore open the box. It was a beautiful necklace with a charm of a woman running.

"Oh," Atalanta cheerfully spoke. "It's Atalanta!" She was more than happy to receive the gift. It was now one of her favorite birthday present's ever.

Her mom and dad only smiled. "Come downstairs to eat breakfast." Atalanta's mom said. They ran down the stairs, and Atalanta was left alone in the room. She decided to go to the bathroom, taking her present she received with her. Atalanta immediately tried on the necklace and awed at it - Admiring how it shone under the light.

Atalanta heard a shout from downstairs. "Breakfast is ready!" She left the box on the bathroom sink, then hurried down the staircase.

"Coming," she replied, feeling on top of the world. Everything was going very smoothly today.

As soon as Atalanta opened the door to the dining room, she smelled delicious food that her mom had made. She noticed her dad wasn't in the room.

"Where's dad?" Atalanta asked. Her mom shrugged. "One of his co-workers called, so he had to go answer it." 

She nodded, taking a seat in her usual spot. Atalanta's mom suddenly started singing joyously. 

"You make me glow, but I'll cover up won't let it show. So I'm putting my defenses up, 'cause I don't want to fall in love," Atalanta curiously looked at her mom singing. "If I ever did that, I think I'd have a heart attack." Atalanta loved hearing her mom sing. Her voice was like angels singing in heaven.

Atalanta heard a voice behind her. "Ah, but you did fall in love with me." She turned around and saw her dad smiling at her mother. Atalanta's mother just chuckled, embarrassed by what he said.

"By the way," her dad spoke. Atalanta noticed that his eyes looked sad, and he was carrying a suitcase. "I'm going to Greece because of my job." 

Atalanta's dad was Greek, and her mom was from Korea. She knew Greek and Korean couples weren't common, but if the love between them was genuine, then nothing else mattered. 

"Oh." Atalanta's mom said looking crestfallen. "Have a nice time, honey." She hugged him tight, as if they would never meet each other ever again.

"Before I leave, though," her dad continued, "I want to have a race with my daughter." Atalanta laughed and said, "You're on!"

Atalanta's mom scowled. "Wait! But what about your breakfast, Atalanta?" Atalanta did not reply. Breakfast came after her dad. It could wait, but a competition with her dad could not.

Together they ran out of the house. Atalanta loved running while the wind whipped through her hair. Her mom, annoyed at their actions, helplessly followed them on a bike.

Atalanta started to pull ahead, her dad way behind her already. She ran until she couldn't see her dad. But suddenly, she heard a scream followed by the screeching of car breaks. 

Atalanta ran back and saw her dad lying down on the road and her mom shaking his limp body. A large truck was not even an inch away from her dad's body, and Atalanta noticed the truck driver coming out of the truck, his face struck with fear and shock.

Her mom froze and began to cry out loud, half screaming. Atalanta's mom ran to her side. Her mom hugged her, while Atalanta still couldn't believe her eyes.

"It's all my fault..." Atalanta whispered.  "All my fault." As Atalanta's mom dug around her pocket to get her phone to call anyone that can help them, they heard the sirens of a police car and a ambulance. The person who had hit their dad had called the ambulance.

The ambulance parked about a meter away from where Atalanta's mom and dad were. People started flooding out of the ambulance, and began to carry her dad away in the stretcher. Her mom followed with Atalanta.

They rode the ambulance in silence except for time to time when Atalanta's mom would ask one of the nurse question like 'if he was alive' or 'if there was a high chance he could survive'. The nurses tried their best to comfort her and assure her that everything would be fine, but by their tone Atalanta knew her dad's survival rate would be very low.

When they reached the hospital, they were told to stay outside the emergency room. Soon enough, a doctor trudged out of the emergency room, his expression pitiful.

He told Atalanta that her father passed away a few minutes ago.

Atalanta was still shocked over her father's death. If had all happened too quickly. All her memories with her dad flashed in her mind, and she could feel her heart pumping in her head.

She blamed herself and the driver for being foolish. She had ran ahead not with a care in the world, and she had forgotten all about the scary world. When she heard the screech of brakes, she knew her life would've been changed for ever. 

"Atalanta," her mom whispered. "I'm going to the toilet and on the way I'm going to buy some drinks for you." She just nodded and smiled weakly. Atalanta didn't even have the energy to do anything.

While she was grieving, she saw 6 pairs of feet in front of her. One was trying to comfort her, while three were bickering, and one was obviously a skin ship monster, and the last one just stayed far away. Atalanta's instinct came into life and she immediately attacked the skin ship monster. She first stepped on his foot, and while he was doubling over in pain, she elbowed his back, and ran to the bathroom. 

Atalanta heard shouts passing the bathroom and sighed. I ran so fast I didn't even look where I was going. She peeked out of the bathroom and saw 6 pairs of eyes staring angrily at her. They were all very handsome but she wasn't fazed by any of them.

"You," said the skin ship monster. "I was your friend, and you just attack me and run away like that?" Atalanta looked properly at the skin ship monster's face and gasped. "Sehun!" 

 


Authors' Note(s):

Doveheart: Hi folksies! It's doveheart here! I'm sorry if I make the story's pace go too fast. This story won't be that long, (about 1,000 chapters long? Jk. I don't know.) so please comment and subscribe! Anyways, I just want to say that the OC was named after the Greek maiden, and she actually isn't the Atalanta in the Greek mythology. Everything will be clear in the next few chapters. Read on if you dare! Just kidding. I will update really slowly, but I will update a lot of chapters when I update. I will try to update as soon as possible!

Jesuistresfatigue: ...And you didn't even mention me, acting as if I was an invisible person here.

Doveheart: Haha, well... *scratches head nervously* Sorry, okay?

Jesuistresfatigue: Anyways, guys...! I'm the co-author of this story, and I will be only editing (maybe) minor (and major, but don't tell Dovie) mistakes that Doveheart made. Apparently, she made so many mistakes just writing this chapter, it took me about one hour to edit this. No kidding! And it was only about 1000 words! I guess I should be "crowned" as the author now, because you're terrible at writing. Now I know how co-authors feel.

Doveheart: Ahem. That's because I didn't proofread it before acutally publishing the story! Before things get worse, Jesuistresfatigue (omg your username is so long to type), we should say bye to our viewers.

Jesuistresfatigue: Alright! Bye, and I love you so much, my subscribers<3 Comments are requested, please, and upvotes too! Love you all, xxxx (and hugs oooo)