Chapter 3

Stardust

The rain continued to fall and Jessica, seeing no signs of it stopping soon, seated herself comfortably on the couch of Tiffany's living room. Prince was fast asleep while the two were just quietly watching TV, not because they were too engrossed with the show, but because their minds were actually wandering somewhere else. It has been so long since they spent time together. However, this time was different. They were so close, yet so far.

 

It was until the program ended when one of them talked. The rain hasn't stopped yet and Tiffany noticed it was time to prepare dinner. She also wondered why Sulli wasn't home yet. The girl usually reaches home from school five in the afternoon.

 

"Hey, I'm gonna leave you here for a while. I need to prepare dinner." Tiffany stood up.

 

"You will cook?" Jessica asked her.

 

"Of course, who else would?"

 

"I mean, you can cook now?"

 

"Yes, I can. So if you'll excuse me?" Tiffany then made her way to the kitchen, leaving Jessica fueled with a generous amount of excitement.

 

After nearly an hour and a half, Tiffany went back to the living room only to find Jessica almost dozing off. She saw from the window that the rain had stopped, but it would be a waste if the latter would leave now since she prepared a dinner for three.

 

"Jessica? It's dinner time." she said in a low soft voice, careful not to surprise the sleepyhead.

 

Jessica murmured and turned her head to the direction of the voice. Tiffany walked to the dining table and she followed quietly behind.

 

The silence during dinner was broke by Jessica, who was smiling while munching on her food.

 

"This is the best pork donkatsu I've ever had." she spoke, still with a smile on her lips.

 

Tiffany, on the other hand, noticed how the girl hasn't stopped smiling ever since they started eating.

 

"Since when in your life did you start smiling while eating? You look like an idiot."

 

"Oh. I'm sorry," Jessica tried to stop smiling, but it only made her smile wider, "Ahh, I can't stop. This is really delicious. I didn't know you can cook so well now."

 

"Now you know." Tiffany said before checking her watch again. It was 7o'clock in the evening but her cousin was still nowhere, "Tsk. Where could that girl be?"

 

"Who? Sulli? Didn't she contact you yet?"

 

"Not yet." Tiffany sighed.

 

"I didn't know you moved and are now living with Sulli." Jessica tried to change the topic so that Tiffany would worry less.

 

"How would you know? You left."

 

Jessica gulped. She should've thought of a better topic.

 

"Yeah, I'm sorry." she bit her lip.

 

"You know, I already accept that sometimes, things just don't go the way we want. It hurts to know that you've found your life without me. But I've been thinking about just forgetting the past, forgiving you and completely moving on, and I figured out it's best for the both of us if I would. I could be more peaceful and you could enjoy your married life here. What else can I do? At least we'll have a proper closure." Tiffany, being her usual straightforward self, stated with no hesitation.

 

Jessica choked upon hearing what Tiffany had just said. She had to gulp down her glass of water before she could finally reply, "Married? Who's married? I'm not married!"

 

"You mean... not yet?"

 

"No! No one's getting married, Tiffany."

 

"What about Dongwook? I thought you guys are supposed to get married?"

 

Jessica sighed, "Well, yes we were. But-"

 

"I'm home, unnie!!!!" a loud voice echoed through the walls of the house, followed by a sound of a bag being thrown and rapid footsteps, "It was raining hard so I stayed in school until it stopped. I'm so stupid, unnie. I forgot I brought your umbre-" the owner of the voice stopped with her tracks when she reached the dining area.

 

She gasped, "Am I interrupting something?"

 

"Sulli-yah, why didn't you contact me?" Tiffany stood up and motioned the girl to sit.

 

Sulli sat beside Tiffany and started to eat.

 

"There was no signal," she replied shortly and eyed the woman opposite them, who was just eating silently.

 

Tiffany gave her a questioning look followed by a shrug.

 

_

 

"So, I guess I have to go now." Jessica said after changing back to her business clothes.

 

"Okay," Tiffany was about to grab the clothes Jessica wore but the latter held it firmly.

 

"I'll get these washed first. I'll return these to you when they're already clean."

 

"No, it's oka-"

 

"Sure, unnie! You can just bring them back next time!" Sulli's high pitched voice interrupted Tiffany.

 

"Uhm, yea. See you," Jessica waved to Sulli, "Thanks for the dinner, Tiffany," she then bid goodbye to Tiffany, who just nodded in response.

 

"Please tell Krystal I said hi!" the young girl shouted for Jessica to hear.

 

The latter nodded and waved. Tiffany watched as her figure slowly disappeared with every step.

 

_

 

Today marked the start of the annual foundation week of the school Sulli and Krystal are attending. The stage was decorated with arrays of different colored ornaments while the corridors of the buildings were furnished with flag lets. Various booths were lined up along the sides of the school's vast quadrangle, and the students were shuffling, walking to and fro, and roaming around their hearts' content.

 

Students who came late were caught and sent to the jail booth, those who were in the mood to watch movies were inside the movie room, and those who were in for a bloodcurdling experience were off to the horror house. Everyone was just busy running errands.

 

Meanwhile, managing one of the busiest booths were Sulli and Krystal. Lots of their fellow students came to their booth nonstop. The two seniors would have had a difficult time if not for the juniors who were in charge to help them.

 

Finally, the day was almost ending and the two girls thought this would be the perfect chance to perform their operation. Some students already left while the others were still busy paying visits to the booths. Sulli pulled her phone out of her uniform's pocket and dialed a registered number.

 

"Unnie? Did you see my camera? I thought I put it in my bag last night." she said when the person on the other end picked up.

 

"I'm not sure. Let me check when I got home. I'm about to leave work."

 

'Perfect!' Sulli thought.

 

"I think... I accidentally put it in your bag. I was really sleepy when I packed my things so maybe you can check if it's there in your bag?"

 

"What? Okay, wait. Oh, here it is. You're so clumsy," Sulli heard her cousin giggle at her antic.

 

"It's in our blood," the teen chuckled, "Unnie, can you bring my camera here? We need it for... documentation."

 

"Right now? Can't you do it tomorrow?"

 

"We need it today, unnie. Please?"

 

"Alright. I'll be there in minutes. Stop pouting," hearing that, Sulli's pout turned into a smile that reached her eyes.

 

'Fany unnie sure knows me too well already,' she thought as she ended the call.

 

Krystal, at the same time, was also busy talking to someone on her phone.

 

"I swear, unnie. The sheet was there in your office. I printed it yesterday using your printer."

 

"But I can't find it."

 

"It's just there!"

 

"Can you tell me exactly? I already flipped all these papers on my table but the sheet you're talking about isn't here." Krystal could sense the irritation in her sister's voice. She felt sorry that she had to in her sister's already busy schedule in the office.

 

'Unnie, I'm sorry but you'll love me for this,' she thought.

 

"Ah, I remember now! It's on top of your printer, hehe."

 

"Gosh, Krystal. You should've remembered it earlier."

 

"Sorry. So, can you spare me a few minutes and bring that here? My team needs it."

 

"What? You mean, right now?"

 

"Yep. Please, unnie? We need it right now."

 

"Okay, I'll ask your driver to pick it up here."

 

"Unnie no! I also have to ask you something... about... the... something." Krystal earned a facepalm from herself.

 

"Can't you ask me right now?"

 

"Pleeeeeaaaaaseeeeeeee? Unnieeeee~~~~~"

 

The person on the other end sighed in defeat, "Fine."

 

"Yes! Krystal's aegyo is the best!" Krystal shouted after her sister hung up.

 

_

 

"Are you sure they're gonna be okay with this?" Sulli's heart was jumping off her chest each passing second.

 

"Calm down and stop talking. They're gonna arrive soon," Krystal hushed the girl beside her and just continued eyeing the wide field.

 

Her eyes lit up when she saw her sister coming from the left side and Tiffany walking from the right, both wearing thick blindfolds as they were being carefully assisted by the junior students.

 

"Ssul, they're here!" she whispered to the girl who was still looking frantic.

 

Sulli heaved and wore a determined look as she mouthed 'fighting!' with her fists up in the air.

 

"Really, where are you guys bringing me?!" / "What are you doing? Omg I almost tripped!" the two young girls looked at each other as they heard the laments of the two ladies slowly approaching.

 

Tiffany and Jessica were both confused of what's happening. They were just supposed to pass something to their dongsaengs but suddenly, a group of students approached them individually and in Tiffany's case, begged her to wear the blindfold while the ones assigned to Jessica had to forcefully tie the cloth to cover the stubborn lady's eyes.

 

After a couple of seconds walking to somewhere both Tiffany and Jessica were clueless with, they finally stopped and silence enveloped them. They heard the students count from one to three and the knots of the blindfolds were slowly tugged. They let their eyes adjust for awhile and when their vision finally cleared, they froze in shock. They were standing face to face, and the close proximity didn't ease the tension that grew abruptly in their bodies. They were at the foot of a red carpet laid perpendicular to a table.

 

Their eye contact broke when sounds of ringing bells followed by a wedding march played. And the next thing they knew, long white bridal veils with tiaras were placed on top of each of their heads, finished with a bouquet of pink roses placed on Tiffany hands, while the yellow ones belonged to Jessica. One of the students grabbed Tiffany's right arm and hung it on Jessica's left after receiving a signal from Krystal.

 

Although confusion were clouding their minds, Tiffany and Jessica were able to comply to the students directing them to march their way in front of the table, where Sulli and Krystal were standing behind, while brightly colored confetti was sprinkled at them.

 

Before one could talk, Krystal cleared , "We will now begin the ceremony."

 

Sulli, who was wearing a name tag with 'Officiator' written on it, started her speech. "I congratulate your marriage with all my heart. You will now make an oath. Bring out the rings."

 

Krystal retreated a few steps and came back with two small boxes. "These rings are courtesy of Krystal Jung and Sulli Choi," she declared.

 

Sulli, a.k.a the officiator, continued, "Jessica Jung, will you love Tiffany Hwang even if her voice is loud, and the only food she can cook is pork donkatsu? Will you treat her like a princess for the rest of your life?"

 

Jessica's body tensed. She's now aware of what the two are up to and she doesn't know if Tiffany is fine with this. But time is ticking and Tiffany beside her doesn't seem to be planning to run away any second so she thought she must do what her heart tells her to do.

 

"Yes." she answered, which earned a surprised look from Tiffany.

 

Krystal handed her a ring from the first box. Jessica's hands were cold from the mix of nervousness and anxiety but she managed to take Tiffany's hand and place the ring on Tiffany's ring finger.

 

Sulli smiled and continued, "And you, Tiffany Hwang. Will you love Jessica Jung even if she's lazy and no matter how much she drools when sleeping? Will you take her as your lawfully wedded wife whom you will spend the rest of your life with?"

 

Tiffany bit her lip. She was near to losing her sanity with what's happening right now. But without her completely knowing, she muttered a 'yes' and the students crowding them cheered while Krystal passed the second ring to Tiffany. Tiffany was a bit reluctant on how she should do it but Jessica raised her hand, as if waiting for Tiffany to insert the ring. Tiffany complied.

 

"Is anyone here against this union taking place?" Sulli exclaimed. Silenced followed before she continued, "I now pronounce you..... wife and wife," the audience clapped their hands while Tiffany and Jessica were mentally wishing they could just evaporate into the air due to embarrassment.

 

"You may now kiss the bride."

 

Tiffany's mouth gaped open when Jessica suddenly kissed her cheek. The moment earned an even louder cheer from the crowd. Krystal got Sulli's camera and discreetly took pictures of their mission accomplished.

 

_

 

"Bye guys! Yes, you can go now. Thanks! Bye, take care." Krystal waved to the students who helped them. The sun was almost setting and the students were leaving one by one. Sulli was busy packing her stuff and arranging the things in their booth.

 

Jessica and Tiffany, on the other hand, were awkwardly sitting side by side in the corner of Krystal and Sulli's 'marriage booth'. After the 'ceremony', no one has dared to talk yet. They were both engulfed with awkwardness that doesn't seem to go away soon. Until Jessica felt like she gathered enough courage to finally start a conversation.

 

"Tiffany? I'm sorry you got dragged here. I mean, I was, too. But I'm sure that was my sister's idea. You know she's crazy. So, I'm sorry," she said, cheeks red from extreme embarrassment.

 

"No, it's okay. I think it's also Sulli's idea," Tiffany chuckled, "Ahh, kids these days."

 

Jessica laughed. Kids today are really bolder compared to those who belonged to her and Tiffany's generation.

 

"Remember when I told you I'm not married? I take it back now." Jessica said with a sweet smile.

 

Tiffany turned to face Jessica, as she continued to listen to the girl.

 

"Because I'm married to you," Jessica said, showing off the ring on her hand.

 

Tiffany chuckled, "Silly. That was just a play."

 

Jessica pouted, "So, you don't want to be my wife?"

 

"Are you proposing right now? After marriage?" Tiffany continued to chuckle.

 

"Can I?"

 

"That's extraordinary. But you're lazy and you drool," Tiffany made a disgusted face, which made Jessica pout her lips.

 

"Yah. And you're foolish. I really thought you can already cook everything." she said as she playfully crossed her arms.

 

"You're so childish."

 

"You're too nice."

 

"I am nice."

 

"I love you."

 

The sudden confession caught Tiffany off guard. She met Jessica's piercing eyes, full with emotions and sincerity. Tiffany felt chills run up her spine.

 

"I know I made a huge mistake when I chose to leave two years ago. I felt really stupid. You were there for me, you were trying to hold on tight but I just let go and ran away. I was an idiot, Tiffany. Everything in your life was going so perfectly but I ruined it. I'm really, really sorry. You supported me but I still felt hopeless." Jessica said, her tone filled with guilt.

 

"Regret swallowed me the moment I realized you're no longer mine. But too late, I was already half the world away from you. So, I gathered all the strength I can get and promised to the stars, the moon and sky, and even the sun that everything I would do is for you and no matter what happens, even if destiny is against it, I will come back to you. And when that happens, I'll be ready to dream with you again." she continued as she looked at the vast sky, tears threatening to fall but she caught it with a smile.

 

"What about the marriage?" Tiffany asked while she stared at Jessica's side profile.

 

"Why would I marry someone I don't love?" Jessica looked at her.

 

"Wasn't it an arranged marriage?"

 

"It was. Dongwook actually agreed, but I just can't. Fortunately, he understood me and he helped me explain to our parents. We just agreed to merge our companies, and it was huge success. It was surreal, Tiffany. I'm very thankful he helped me with everything about the works in the company. He even came with us to guide me while I'm still new to being the president of our company here in Seoul. He's a very good friend of mine."

 

"You like him."

 

"What? No! I said he's a friend."

 

"How can I just believe that?"

 

Jessica pouted. Nevertheless, she continued to explain. "Trust me. I never had feelings for him. Well, he told me before that he had a crush on me. But I always warned him that there's already someone in my heart and I will never-"

 

Jessica didn't finish her sentence when Tiffany kissed her cheek.

 

"I love you too," Tiffany said shyly and pinched the same cheek.

 

"You're soooo cute, Jessi!"