Chapter 1

Stardust

Tiffany has been staring at the piece of meat lying innocent on her plate for fifteen minutes, occasionally stabbing it after she heaves a sigh.

 

"Unnie, cheer up, will you? I didn't know you'll be this affected. It's been two years, hasn't it?" the girl opposite her said while taking the whole of Tiffany's plate and exchanging it with her own empty one.

 

Tiffany sighed again and looked up to the girl, her expression as empty as the plate now lying before her, "Sulli-yah, you really expect me to be fine with it? And are you sure about that? I mean, what if Krystal is just fooling around? You guys love to joke with each other."

 

"She's dead if she was joking with me about that. I got excited and all!" Sulli exclaimed as she violently stabbed the meat and shoved it into .

 

"But what if she's not? Gosh, I was perfect just fifteen minutes ago and now my organs are battling. I haven't even- Wait, where's my food?" Tiffany furrowed her brows.

 

The white-complexioned young girl let out a silly giggle while chewing the older girl's food.

 

"Seriously, when was the last time you ate?" Tiffany questioned what seemed to be an infinite of an appetite the young girl has, "Anyway, I'm not hungry anymore. Finish the plate fast. I want to go home."

 

Sulli continued to chomp on the meat and made an 'ok' sign partnered with her winsome pair of smiling eyes.

 

_

 

The loud ringing of the doorbell resounded across the interior of the cousins' shared house.

 

Tiffany was about to get the door when her cousin came out of nowhere and shouted, "I'll go get it!" and ran past her.

 

"Waaaaaaaaah!!!!! Omoooooooo!!!!!!!"

 

Curious to why her cousin squealed louder than a birthing mother, she followed and peeked through the door to see who came. The moment her eyes adjusted to the distance and realized who the visitor was, she pulled back and glued her back to the cold surface of the wall. Both her eyes and mouth are wide open.

 

"UNNIE!!!!!!! WE HAVE A VISITOR!!!!" Sulli shouted at the top of her lungs. It would be rude if she didn't welcome the visitor, so she stepped out and wore a smile on her face.

 

"Hi, unnie!" greeted the young visitor.

 

"H-hi, Krystal."

 

Sensing the discomfort of her cousin, Sulli whispered, "Unnie, relax. It's just Krystal, okay."

 

Before Tiffany could calm her nerves, a guy wearing a suit alighted from the driver's seat of the red Range Rover and walked towards the three while taking off his edgy pair of sunglasses.

 

Tiffany sent a distorted look to her cousin. Sulli just shook her shoulders.

 

"Sulli, Fany unnie, this is Dongwook oppa. He came with us all the way from San Francisco. Oppa, this is Sulli, my bestfriend. And that's Tiffany unnie. She's... uhm... Sulli's cousin." Krystal introduced the guy to the confused cousins, and vice versa.

 

"Nice to meet you, oppa!" Sulli exclaimed as her eyes formed a smile.

 

"Nice to meet you too." the guy flashed a charming smile and nodded to both Sulli and Tiffany.

 

"Ssul, Mom called. We need to go now. Are you free tomorrow? Let's hang out!" Krystal uttered to which the girl nodded, "Uhm.. Fany unnie, we'll go now. Thanks for welcoming. It's nice to see you again."

 

Tiffany just nodded and smiled to the young Jung.

 

_

 

 

Tiffany plopped down on the couch the moment the door was closed. She collected oxygen and breathed them in one go.

 

Sulli sat beside her, smiling from ear to ear.

 

"Yah, I thought they'll be back in three more months?!" Tiffany crossed her arms and glared at her cousin.

 

Sulli merely shrugged, "That's what Krystal told me! So I was just as surprised as you!"

 

"Yours was a great surprise. Mine's...... awful." Tiffany reasoned and for the second time, sent a glare towards her cousin.

 

Sulli pouted, "You're acting like you saw your ex-girlfriend."

 

"Yeah, whatever," Tiffany said before she recalled something, "Wait, the guy. What do you think about him?"

 

"He's cute, unnie! Did you see his dimples?"

 

"Seriously? I think he's ugly. His eyes are all sunken in." Tiffany commented as she pointed her index and middle fingers at her own eyes, "But that's not what I'm talking about! Don't you think he's Jessica's.... ugh, whatever. I don't care! Why would I care!!" she continued as she marched her way to her room and locked the door.

 

"PMS." Sulli thought as she stood up and went to get chips in the kitchen.

_

 

"Unnie, Krystal invited me to their house. Can you take me there?" Sulli tugged her cousin's sleeve.

 

Tiffany turned her head in surprise and shot Sulli a questioning look.

 

"Please?" the young girl pouted.

 

"Just take the bus."

 

"Do they accept cards?" Sulli asked with a mischievous grin.

 

"I don't either." was Tiffany's cold reply,

 

"I don't know the address. I'm scared. What if someone kidnaps me on the way there?"

 

Tiffany shut her eyes and screamed in defeat, "Aish!! Fine."

 

"Yay, thanks unnie!! You're the best!!" Sulli jumped in joy, but not before kissing her Fany unnie's cheek.

 

"EEEWWWWW YOU BRAT!!!!!"

 

_

 

The ride to the Jungs’ house was almost 45 minutes and Sulli couldn't contain her excitement when Tiffany said they're almost there. She slowed the car down a few meters away from the fancy gate, which confused the teen.

 

"You can get off now. Just walk your way there." Tiffany stuck her lips out and pointed it to the Jung residence.

 

"Alright. Thanks unnie." Sulli waved goodbye and started walking away.

 

"Be home before ten!" shouted Tiffany.

 

"Yep!"

 

Before going back home, Tiffany decided to breath some fresh air. She got out of her car and looked around for a second. A small part of her heart ached. She used to visit this place. It's been two years but it still looked the same. A train of memories threatened to pass by but Tiffany was fast. She had already cried everything years ago. She wouldn't cry now.

 

Tiffany was about to get back inside her car when she felt a light tap on her shoulder. She turned around only to find a huge surprise.

 

"Hi," a young lady greeted her. It was Jessica. Her hair was light brown. She looked skinnier, but more beautiful than how Tiffany remembered her.

 

"Uhm, I just had to drop Sulli off. Bye," Tiffany said in the most monotonous voice she was able to master.

 

But before she could turn, she felt a grip on her wrist, "Wait."

 

She turned around and met Jessica's brown eyes. She couldn't exactly read her expression. Her emotions had always been hard to read.

 

"Uh... We're about to have lunch. Do you... uhh.... think you can, uhm... join us?" Jessica said as if it was the hardest sentence to complete.

 

"Sorry but I can't. Thanks." Tiffany got inside and quickly flew away.

 

_

 

"Why???? Why is she like that?! She's shameless!!!" Tiffany shouted as soon as she got inside her room. Feeling her veins burning, she threw her body into her bed and took off her sunglasses, "I know it's been two years and she could have already moved on. But how can she act so casual as if she never did anything to me?!?! As if she didn't leave me??!"

 

Two years ago, Tiffany was full of hopes and dreams. She believed everything can be achieved through hardwork. However, things changed. Ever since Jessica left her, Tiffany lost her hope in everything. Because Jessica was a part of each of her dreams. And she couldn't accept the way Jessica easily crushed her hopes.

 

Tiffany felt depressed. She would smile to people, and talk with them, but when she locks herself away, she breaks down. Drowned in her anguish, she would fall asleep with her tears falling.

 

Except whenever she saw Prince, the little pup would remind her of everything about her and Jessica - their laughs, their jokes, their smiles, their conversations, their dreams, their tears, their memories, and the love they shared. It was sadness so sweet. A part of her believed Jessica will, one day, come back into her arms.

 

Until a day came when Tiffany realized she has waited long enough. She looked back to the days she missed while waiting for someone who left her heartlessly. She spent years wishing the sky would turn green. It was a waste of time. And she regretted it because that long time was something she couldn't get back.

 

She decided to start anew. As soon as she got accepted as a composer in an entertainment agency, she moved out of their house and lived in a new one with her younger cousin Sulli, who happens to attend the school nearby.

_

 

It was Sunday morning. Tiffany just came home from a morning jog while Sulli was in the living room yawning.

 

"Sulli-yah, you're awake? Here, I bought breakfast," Tiffany extended her arms to pass two brown paper bags to her younger cousin.

 

"Thanks unnie," Sulli took out the pancakes and started munching on them, "Unnie?"

 

"Yep?" Tiffany responded while untying her shoelaces.

 

"Can you give me a ride later? It's Krystal's birthday and I was invited to the dinner at their house."

 

"Can't you go there by yourself? I thought you took the bus last time."

 

Sulli shook her head, "No, I did not. Krystal's mom won't let me go by myself, so she told their driver to drive me home."

 

"Then do it today."

 

"But unnie, I'm really scared. It's dangerous. We never know what can happen. You know-"

 

The young girl was cut off by Tiffany's frustrated sigh.

 

"Fine. What else can I do."

 

"Yes!" Sulli threw her fists in the air and kissed her cousin's cheek.

 

"YAH!!!!!!!!"

 

_

 

"Alright. We're here." Tiffany stopped her car's engine in front of the gate.

 

"Okay. Thank you unnie!"

 

As soon as Sulli got out of the car, someone came out of the gate.

 

"Oh, Sulli-yah!!" Krystal shouted and ran towards her friend, "Is that Tiffany unnie?" she received a nod and immediately went to knock on the car's window.

 

Tiffany slid it down. "Happy birthday Krystal!" she greeted with a pair of smiling eyes.

 

"Thanks unnie. Will you come join us for dinner?"

 

"No, I just dropped Sulli off." Tiffany shook her head and smiled.

 

"But it's my birthday so I'm inviting you. Please?"

 

Tiffany really wanted to refuse but the birthday girl's hands were clasped and her lips formed a pout.

 

"Okay."

 

_

 

Both Jessica and Tiffany were equally surprised to see each other in the dining room. Tiffany mentally scolded herself for forgetting about Jessica when she agreed to Krystal's request. 'Well, how can I refuse to the birthday girl?' she reasoned out.

 

Her initial plan was to just eat and respond to whoever talks to her but not until she realized Jessica's seat was beside hers. It didn't help her as she got more conscious and bothered.

 

"Fany unnie, do you want rice? Here," Krystal passed the bowl of rice but Jessica took it and meticulously took out the red beans mixed with the white rice.

 

"What are you doing, unnie?" Krystal saw her sister's weird actions.

 

"Tiffany doesn't like red beans."

 

It confused Tiffany as she felt her cheeks turned hot

_

 

The blush on her face was still visible and Tiffany was thankful that everyone was focused on their food. The clacking sounds of the utensils stopped when a phone suddenly rang.

 

"Excuse me," Jessica stood up from her seat and took the call.

 

"Who is it?" Tiffany heard Sulli ask.

 

"I don't know. Maybe Dongwook oppa. He always calls," Krystal merely shrugged.

 

"Sica unnie takes his calls even during meals?"

 

"Well, I have never seen her not take any of oppa's calls. Sometimes when I wake up at night and go to unnie's room, they're on the phone. Hey, why are we talking about them? Just eat. Isn't the food delicious?"

 

"It is!"

 

The blush finally disappeared, more to Tiffany's confusion.