Episode 9: Trivial Ice Pt. 4

Acquaintances of a Forever Alone — Love Stories and Other Failed Attempts

Title: Tricial Ice (Pt. 4)

Pairing: Jongdae X Baekhyun

Word count: 950

Warnings: Fem!Baekhyun


 

 

Trivial Ice pt. 4

 

 

Apparently, Baekhyun did want to be with someone like that because she met with Jongdae during the summer following that school year. It was only once, but it still is a vivid moment in her head.

 

School was freshly over and Jongdae and Baekhyun were getting along better than ever. Next year would be Jongdae's last one, meaning they wouldn't have much time to see each other anymore.

 

Baekhyun finally manned up enough to ask him his number. It felt like an exploit. She noted it down on a piece of paper and ended up looking at it so much the number was engraved in his memory. When she finally called, her arms felt weak.

 

They agreed to meet at the Tim Horton's near her house. He came by bike, she came on foot. They met and he walked along his bike on the way to her house. The temperature was wonderful and Baekhyun who had to look after her younger brother sent him away to a friend's, to play. The whole walk left something heavy hanging between them, like there was something, but not exactly.

 

Even with the good temperature, they decided to hang out in the basement playing Diablo II (since yeah, at the time the 3rd wasn't out yet!). To many people's surprise, Baekhyun actually enjoyed playing video games and since Jongdae liked the same game, why not enjoy it! They played until supper.

 

It was not part of the initial plan, but Jongdae ended up staying for supper. Baekhyun felt stressed because her step-mom was cooking macaroni and she personally didn't like the recipe. She was afraid Jongdae wouldn't either and would judge or something. But then he ate a huge plateful, then another before he said he was full. It reassured Baekhyun a bit.

 

After supper is where things got messy. Well, not exactly messy, but things never quite added up in Baekhyun's head (not until recently anyways. But this will come later.)

 

So, they ate and then Jongdae suddenly said he felt like candies.

 

"Let's go to the convenience store then." Baekhyun said. And they went.

 

Along the road, they joked around and discussed music and Diablo II. It was always like that with Jongdae. They chatted, laughed, it was easy. Yet, Bakehyun would always end up looking at him right in his ice-blue eyes and she would lose any form of coherency. As if the electrical colour of his eyes would short-circuit her every brain cells.

 

"Do you want anything?" Jongdae asked when they reached the store. He was going around choosing Skittles and raspberry gummies.

 

"Ah, uh. No. Thanks." Baekhyun lied. She did want candies too. But her mom taught her not to beg, so she stayed polite and refused everything.

 

They walked back home and at that precise moment, Baekhyun wished she could be less socially awkward. Almost 10 years later, she would still regret her reaction. Ways to be receptive, girl!

 

Jongdae was talking about his coworkers and schoolmates. He was still hilarious. What he said next was less.

 

"You know..." he started. "I'm talking about coworkers and everything and... Okay it's gonna sound weird but in my head, I can classify them like: these are people I work with, these are my friends, etc. But you... I don't know in which category I should put you in." And he stopped talking, waiting for her answer.

 

Why the is he telling me this? What do you want me to do with his classifications?!! Real genius, Baekhyun. REAL GENIOUS. Honnestly, on the moment, Baekhyun truly didn't understand what was going on. She always was a little socially awkward and needed time to realize that kind of things.

 

So on the moment, she only responded by a useless monosyllable. "Ah."

 

Damn, Older Baekhyun is still mad at her for that answer. She never wanted to imagine things. Yet, at the time, she should have taken the bull by the horns and, I don't know, maybe ask him out or something! Not keep it at a stupid "AH." Goddammit.

 

He was asking her out. For the first and only time ever a guy was asking her out and she answers 'AH'. God, she is stupid.

 

The atmosphere was tense after that. Both of them lost in their thoughts until they arrived back home.

 

Trying not to completely lose the face, both decided to play Guitar Hero Metallica, because Metallica is epic and Guitar Hero is fun.

 

Baekhyun let him play since it was her game and she could play all the time. Jongdae set it on difficult and he played. He missed a few notes, but acted cool and did as if nothing happened. Metallica was one of her favourite bands so she let him play for a long time: she just enjoyed hearing the songs again.

 

But the it was late and he had to go back home.

 

Baekhyun accompanied him outside. They couldn't help but talk for at least half an hour outside. The earlier awkwardness was almost totally gone and they were back to a comfortable stance. He prepared his helmet and IPod to roll back to his home.

 

He talked about a group she didn't know. She wanted to hear, he lend her an earphone. They were close. So close.

 

But nothing happened.

 

Because she was a coward and he was maybe too respectful to try anything on her.

 

When she went back home after he was gone. Her step-mother asked: "Is he your boyfriend?" At least she waited for him to be gone before asking.

 

"No." She answered honestly.

 

This is the last time she ever did anything with Jongdae outside school.

 

To be continued...