Episode 7 : Trivial Ice Pt. 2

Acquaintances of a Forever Alone — Love Stories and Other Failed Attempts

Title: Trivial Ice (Pt.2)

Pairing: Baekhyun X Jongdae

Word count : 1,4K

Warnings: Fem!Baekhyun


 

Summer passed by too quickly, as usual. That year, they had to change school because of a major fire in the main building of their former school. Since the schedules were also mixed up, the breaks were only a block of 30 minutes.

 

For Baekhyun, that year was the one she spent the most time without her 'regular' friends. Since she had classes with them every days of the week, she decided that the breaks would be dedicated to the friends she couldn't see all day long every days of the week, which meant Jongdae, Tao and Yixing. The previous year, she was seeing them relatively often, but the new schedule brought new habits into her: she came every day. She needed fresh air and their company was like a freshening spring break.

 

They mostly talked about music, sometimes about video games too. Her favourite conversations though were when the guys would go on and on about stupid things they saw on the Internet. Those times would lead to absurd mimes and voicing and also the weirdest thing Baekhyun had ever heard. It's with hurting cheeks she would go back to class after each lunch break, mood bubbly. 

 

"I wish I could try the Fable II! I LOVED the first one, so I guess I'd love the second one too." Baekhyun whined.

 

"Well, I have it." Jongdae simply teased.

 

"TEACH ME HOW TO PLAY!" Baekhyun exclaimed.

 

"Yeah, okay. Let's schedule a date and do it then." It seriously didn't take much to convince Jongdae. He was easygoing, and Baekhyun was glad since she wasn't the most at ease with new experiences: read 'go to a guy's home for the first time.'

 

Sometime after, Baekhyun was meeting Jongdae at his house. Jongdae showed the buttons of the controller to Baekhyun, and since it was a solo game, he ended up playing his guitar while she was playing. He was starting to play it. He was able to play some famous songs (which fortunately Baekhyun recognized, knew and liked) and he did just so while looking at Baekhyun's uneasy combat skills on the screen. ((Seriously though, x-box controllers are so hard to use! PCs are better. Yeah.))

 

It didn't take long before Baekhyun grew tired of playing alone and screaming so her voice would cover up the music. She ended up only watching him play and struggle with the strings. Baekhyun was a little impressed though: Jongdae had learnt to play guitar in such a short time! It was really good that he was already able to reproduce famous beats. All the time he played, Jongdae didn't stop explaining what every part of the guitar was used for (not that she was dumb, but Baekhyun didn't really know what they were used for since she only played classic guitar before.)

 

In the end, their first date went just fine. Baekhyun wouldn't have called it a date at the time. It was only a friendly encounter in her head, and she was almost relived Jongdae didn't to hit on her: she wouldn't have known how to react. Sure they were still a little awkward with each other (or so Baekhyun felt, at least) so they didn't dare do many things. For a first, it was a good afternoon.

 

Things went that way for a while, falling in a persistent but comforting routine. Between the 'first date' and the beginning of the winter, Jongdae and Baekhyun saw each other once again out of school. Baekhyun doesn't remember what they did that time. All she remembers is that they met at his again and played x-box. She met his mother. But now that she thinks about it, she doesn't think she could recognize her if she was to cross path with her again tomorrow.

 

Winter came, bringing cold and painful shivers during classes. Since they had to spend the year in a new establishment, Baekhyun didn't know it would be so cold. She was used to her old building where at least heathers were hot.

 

The worst were the Spanish classes. Oh how she hated going there. First because the class wasn't the more interesting since nobody was paying attention, making the teacher go mad and yell at them, threatening then to 'throw them by the window'. [[There's a story behind the 'throwing by the window though. We asked her once why she was always saying that. She answered us that it was because during the first classes she started giving at our school, they gave her a windowless local. It was a running gag (at the time) to threaten the students to throw them by the window. And it stayed, even if nobody knows where it comes from.]] The second reason why she hated to go to that precise class was because it was cold.

 

Baekhyun wasn't the kind of girl to be cold. Far from it! She tended to be heather-like, supporting the cold temperature but not the big heath waves of the summer. In that precise classroom, it felt like they forgot to turn on the heather. Baekhyun would sit there for 50 minutes and shiver, teeth almost hitting from the cold. It was rare to see the hair of her arm rise from cold at school, but that winter, it was common event.

 

One day, Baekhyun had an idea. She was heading to her Spanish class right after the break and the idea wasn't really appealing. Sure she brought a long-sleeved over in order to try her body heath, but she knew she would end up freezing on her chair anyways.

 

The bell rang and Baekhyun was about to say goodbye when Jongdae pull off his metal band hoodie. He said he was hot and was about to randomly throw the sweater in his locker when Baekhyun stopped him.

 

"WAIT!" She almost screamed, making the boys rise an eyebrow at her.

 

"What?"

 

"You won't use your polar??" She asked half pleadingly, half incredulous.

 

"uh, no. I'm hot."

 

"Could I borrow it? I mean, my Spanish class is a freezing hell and it's pretty disturbing." She prayed he would accept without complaining. The bell had rung and she didn't have time to argue with him about a piece of clothing.

 

"But we won't see each other before tomorrow and I need it tonight." Damn.

 

"I'll bring it to you before you get on the bus, I promise! I'll hurry after my class and do a quick stop by your locker. Please!" She would seriously have run and pushed people out of her way if necessary. She just didn't want to be cold in her stupid, stupid Spanish class.

 

"Okay. Just make sure you bring it back before I leave." Baekhyun beamed and quickly took the black hoodie.

 

"I will. THANKS!" and then she ran because classes were about to restart and she didn't have her books yet.

 

She sat in her Spanish class that day wearing a boy's hoodie for the first time. She was physically present, but her brain was floating somewhere in the school, surely searching for Jongdae. She barely managed to concentrate on the verb test scheduled that day. She had borrowed a sweater in hope to be able to focus better on the class, but ironically it had the reverse effect.

 

Jongdae' scent was imprinted in the fabric, constantly steaming up her nose and she couldn't focus on anything else than that. She could feel like a tinge of excitation laying in her muscular fibres. She felt like she was writing nervously and couldn't prevent the crazy half smile to spread on her lips.

 

Starting from that day, Baekhyun began to feel a little self-conscious (but it was easy to control, nothing worrying.) around Jongdae. She knew she felt something stronger than friendship towards him. She knew there was something special, but since she was a when it came to those subjects, she couldn't exactly pinpoint how everything would turn out. She was still acting the same, but there was something there, untold, untouched and unknown. It's only now, with recul that she understands what was really going on.

 

She just wishes she would have seen it earlier.

 

To be continued....