Episode 8 : Trivial Ice Pt. 3

Acquaintances of a Forever Alone — Love Stories and Other Failed Attempts

Title: Trivial Ice (Pt.3)

Pairing: Jongdae X Baekhyun

Word Count: 1k

Warnings: Fem!Baekhyun


 

Trivial Ice pt. 3

 

 

On some days, it seldom (very, very rarely) happened that Baekhyun felt like a girl.

 

Which was quite ironic since she technically was a girl.

 

On those days she would put a little more efforts in dressing up in the morning, meaning no band t-shirt in that day's outfit. It would sometimes surprise people that she owned anything else than those similar pieces of cotton, but what do you want, those shirts are so comfy, it's hard not to wear them every day.

 

That day, Baekhyun wore that stripped black and white sleeveless top with a white blouse on top (since well, at school you have to cover your shoulders ¬_¬) It wasn't the most elegant outfit ever, but it was definitely a little classy.

 

"What's gotten into you, Baek?" Her friends would ask because it truly was a rare encounter.

 

"Nothing. I just felt like changing this morning." She would answer, because there was nothing else to say.

 

With that outfit on, she skipped to the trio's locker.

 

Her arrival was welcomed with surprised expressions. The boys rarely saw her wearing anything else than band t-shirts. And all of a sudden she was appearing in that kind of clothes. How indecent! (lol)

 

Tao had almost the same reaction as her friends.

 

"Wow, so you are a girl!" He joked. And she laughed because yes, such comments were a little understandable.

 

What Jongdae said made Baekhyun want to hide in a hole. It was unexpected. Not that Baekhyun disliked it. It was just that she didn't believe someone would compliment her on that day.

 

"Trivium-girl, you're y."

 

Honnestly, she didn't believe it one bit. She had no such self-esteem [or ego], so the compliment felt a little too much. But then she had to answer something because it would be rude to ignore such a blunt and direct comment. She felt her cheek blush (because she was blushing so easily and well, she wanted to believe it so much).

 

"um, yeeeah." Is the only intelligent thing she could say on the moment (since her brain was dead for a second or two) She said it in a very unsure tone, almost ironic. She mentally facepalmed the second the word left . She could have found something better. But she didn't.

 

She still regrets the moment. She could have answered something like:

 

"Well, you're not bad either." Or "I think you're ier"

 

But she had to be like that and just turn the compliment down. Congrats', girl. Best comeback of the year.

 

Baekhyun doesn't know if the boys really caught up on the uneasiness the compliment brought into Baekhyun. After she answered in that highly unfriendly tone, they just resumed the conversation they had before she arrived. In a way, it was better like this: at least she wouldn't have to explain why the comment left her speechless. Things went on and they all forgot that awkward moment.

 

Starting from the 'you're y' day, Baekhyun often felt urges to hold Jongdae's hand, the thought always swirling in her head of how easy it would be to just reach out and slip their fingers together. She couldn't stop creating scenarios in her head of how it would happen, picturing herself hugging or even kissing the guy.

 

There's one precise moment that is particularly vivid in Baekhyun's memory. It was towards spring time. There were some guys from Jongdae, Tao and Yixing's classes who brought their guitars over. When she arrived at recess, people were gathering around them, cheering. The guys were at the back of the crowd so it wasn't hard for Baekhyun to meet them to watch the improvised show (but since she was so short, she could barely see anyways.)

 

What's engraved in her memory was how bad she wanted to try and hold Jongdae's hand. He was there, less than a foot in from of her, his back almost her. All she had to do is to hold out her hand and slip her palm into his. Her imagination could already feel it, the calloused feeling of his guitarist fingertips.

 

 She chickened out. Obviously.

 

This one event might be the one she regrets the most up 'till now. The occasion was there and she never seized it.

 

After that precise event, Baekhyun couldn't help but always come back on it. It left a bitter taste in : a taste of regret. Every day for a worrying long time, she wouldn't stop replaying and replaying the scene, calling herself names because yeah, she was a first class coward. The fact that she was seeing him everyday wasn't helping either. She ended up getting over it eventually. She decided that she would test the water again. Like a test so see if the first time was only a random compliment or if it was really heartfelt.

 

Baekhyun wore the stripped top and white shirt again. Just to see.

 

At the lunch break that day, she skipped happily to the boys' locker. She was only two or three steps far that Jongdae was already talking.

 

"Trivium-girl, you're y" There it was again.

 

No matter how Baekhyun tried to be all badass and confident, it felt miserably. Again. That time at least, she was able to reply something a little more intelligent.

 

"Ah, ehm, thanks." She said in a little tone. She's sure she blushed, but there again, nothing is for sure.

 

The rest of the school year went on without any major incident. Baekhyun was happy with the relationship she had with Jongdae, Tao and Yixing. Still, to be honest, when she laid in bet at night, images of her day would pop up and she'd sigh. She'd sigh because no matter how much she wanted to deny it, Jongdae was totally her style. Well, not 'totally'. 'Mostly' would be more appropriate.

 

Yes, physically he was surprisingly pleasant. But there was something in his personality... was it pride? Anyways, if it wasn't, it was similar. And Baekhyun kind of hated when people had too much ego. Most of the time, it wasn't noticeable - the pride, I mean. But there would sometimes be subjects that would mirror it and those conversations would leave Baekhyun wondering...

 

Do I really want to be together with someone like that...?

 

To be continued...