A Change of Heart

While You Slept, I Fell in Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Jongin stands in the middle of the marbled hallway of Chanyeol’s luxury apartment, unsure of where to go next. The place is so big that Jongin’s own place could fit inside two or three times over. It’s very modern and clean, sleek lines and hard surfaces, but it all feels too cold, empty. Jongin wouldn’t trade his cluttered and very clearly lived-in space for these lifeless lands.

The master bedroom alone was the only place that looked lived in with clothes strewn about, CD cases in towers all over the place, and a messy music station complete with laptop, keyboard, and audio system. It had made Jongin smile and think of Chanyeol, with his pressed suits and composed appearance. But apparently a wild soul underneath it all. He’d poked around, wanting to know more about this new side of his travel prince. Then under the desk, Jongin had found another unexpected surprise that had then demanded his full attention.

Now, Jongin looks down at his four-legged companion. They’d become quick friends. The pup hadn’t left his side since Jongin found him. “Where’s the bathroom, Monggu?”

The puppy tilts his head and barks.

Jongin points to the left. “This way?”

Monggu barks again.

Jongin points to the right. “This way?”

A growl.

“To the left we go.”

Jongin rubs his sleep-heavy eyes and yawns. He hadn’t mean to fall asleep while playing with the pup, but the snoring Monggu on his chest and the soft rug on Chanyeol’s mega living room floor had lulled him.

A hazy moon hangs outside, very visible from the glass windows that make up most of the apartment’s outer walls. Jongin texted Baekhyun to see when he’s coming to pick him up, but the man only responded with a quick, “Just a bit longer.” However, Jongin is very hungry and Monggu probably is too, so after he takes care of business in the five-star bathroom, he goes in search of the kitchen.

Like every other space in Chanyeol’s apartment, the kitchen is huge and equipped with the latest appliances, none of which Jongin is sure he can work. Some digging around finds him a couple of ramen cups. But before he feeds himself he feeds Monggu, the pup having helpfully pointed him in the right direction of the dog food.

Jongin is ruffling the pup’s curly head when a weight settles on his shoulder. He jerks back, flailing his arms everywhere, trying to get away.

“Ow! !”

Jongin opens his eyes to see Junmyeon clutching at his nose. “Oh my god! I’m sorry,” he says, grabbing the man’s face and trying to check for damage. “I thought you were a thief or something.”

“A thief on the 30th floor who either got through the security lock, or scaled and entered through the window?” Junmyeon says, voice all nasally.

Jongin continues to hold him and inspects for damage. Junmyeon’s nose is red, but there is no blood coming out. He really is more handsome than Chanyeol, with a rounder face, rosier and poutier lips, and sharper eyes. No cute ears sticking out though. But he has very nice skin and it feels heavenly under Jongin’s fingers as he runs them across the man’s jaw.

He lets go, when he realizes how close they are. “Sorry…again,” Jongin says.

“It’s fine.” Junmyeon sniffles loudly, then grabs a serviette from the kitchen island to blow his nose. “Baek kicked me out of the hospital and told me to get some sleep. He stayed with my brother.”

“Oh…he was supposed to pick me up.” Junmyeon doesn’t react to the statement and Jongin tries not to fidget under his gaze, but it’s really hard. “I guess I should go now.”

Jongin kneels beside Monggu and allows the pup to his face. “I’ll see you around, little guy.” Even as he says it, he knows it might be a lie. Chanyeol can wake up at any moment and then Jongin will tell the truth. The truth which could make everyone, even Monggu, hate him.

Monggu yips happily right until Jongin tries to leave. The pup starts to cry and whine then. Junmyeon does his best to quiet him, but it doesn’t work. So, Jongin picks Monggu up and soothes him.

“The last time we spoke, he told me he had big news to share,” Junmyeon says, watching Jongin pet Monggu. “I thought it would be either a dog or a boyfriend. I guess it was both.”

Jongin smiles, bright and wide, because Junmyeon’s face is priceless. It’s a mix of disbelief and weirded out. If only he knew.

Junmyeon rubs his neck, awkward all of a sudden. “Let me drive you home. It’s the least I can do after how I treated you this morning.”

“Oh no, don’t worry about it.” Jongin’s laugh turns uneven. The last thing he needs is more alone time with Chanyeol’s brother. There’s something that unsettles Jongin whenever the man is around, and maybe it’s more than the danger of Junmyeon finding out the truth. Jongin would rather take on Kyungsoo and his grim reaper stare any day.

“Please. I insist.”

And that was that.

After the pup falls asleep under Jongin’s expert hands, they tiptoe out of the apartment and take the elevator. Jongin is grateful for Junmyeon’s car be

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter