fountains and benches

Elude
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

A/N: I missed you guys so so sorry for the long wait! I hope you guys haven't forgotten about this. :-( 

-

Finally, Sunggyu lets go of his hand after what seemed to be hours of endless walking. Which wasn't really true because they only walked for 20 minutes going around in circles inside the giant camp. Yes, this is when a Woohyun also realizes that the place he was trapped in was gigantic. Sunggyu had used his hands to dig out a pile of leaves which were hiding a small tunnel hole at the bottom of a large vine covered fence. Woohyun was just in shock, wondering what the hell they were doing here. 

"Get in." 

Woohyun laughs. "I'm not going in that hell hole. Who knows where it leads?"

With an exhausted face, Sunggyu answers, "I do. Now, just get in or else you'll have to find you way back to the dorms alone." 

Rolling his eyes, Woohyun does as he was told and goes inside the tunnel without another complaint. He feels Sunggyu just behind him, and Woohyun feels suffocated at the thought of the narrow tunnel they have to crawl through. 

His breathing goes labored, and he stops moving. "I…I can't go any further—" 

"We didn't even go out at least ten meters yet." 

Woohyun feels the oxygen being taken out from the little space they were in, freaking him out. "I can't, Sunggyu. Go back! I n-need air, I can't breathe!"

"Yah, calm down!"

Sunggyu falls to the floor when Woohyun's body hits him from backing up too much. He releases a groan, an annoyed one, but he knows better than to get ticked off at the situation. Woohyun needed Sunggyu's help. Drips of sweat were dropping from Sunggyu's forehead now. He never thought Woohyun was claustrophobic, and now he feels quite stupid for getting the boy in this situation. 

"Woohyun, hey, listen to me." A hand was suddenly on Woohyun's ankle, slightly pushing him forward. "This is my hand. I'll be right behind you, ok? Just a little bit more and we'll be there. All you have to do is calm down and start moving." 

Thankfully with Sunggyu's help, Woohyun had managed to get them out safely of the tunnel. Once they were up and breathing, Sunggyu took this time to get mad. "You whiny little , you didn't tell me you were claustrophobic." 

"I thought I was over it." Was Woohyun's response. But he brushes it off quickly as he looks around his surroundings for the first time where he realizes that the place they had entered was a small portion of the ever vast forest. The only thing is that this place was literally hidden by the trees, making it impossible to find from the outside. The same vine covered fences from a while ago were also cornering the very place they were in, camouflaging them from everything else. The perimeter was small, as it was cornered by a total of four tall fences. But there was a fountain covered in dead flowers, and a bench just adjacent to it. Woohyun stares at the objects in confusion. 

"What is this place…?" 

"It's my own little secret hideout." Sunggyu approaches the bench covered with all kinds of twigs and dead leaves. He brushes them all with his hand before he decides to take a seat. "Well, I guess it's ours now." 

Slowly, Woohyun takes a few small steps over to the dirty white fountain. He peers his head over it, but there was no water or fish, just…coins?  

"My mom died when I was 13." Sunggyu says out of the blue. Woohyun was staring at him now, so Sunggyu continues. "I didn't get to see her too. I wasn't allowed. So I ran away from the dorms and hid in here. It was the first time I ever found this place." 

"Sunggyu…" 

"The fountain was still beautiful, but now it looks tired and dead. I don't really care." Sunggyu stands up from the bench and slips his hand in his back pocket, looking for something. But Woohyun doesn't notice this as his eyes were focused on Sunggyu's eyes as well. "Ever since then, I'd come here when I'd want to cry. I didn't really want anybody to see me weak, so I hid here and poured my eyes out every time." 

Woohyun's face softens. 

"The fountain also serves as my wishing well. I threw coins in it, and I'd pray." Sunggyu takes out a coin from his pocket and raises it in the air for the other boy to see. "Seeing how you reacted when I told you about your grandmother, it reminded me of myself."

Woohyun takes the coin Sunggyu was giving him. He looks at it from back to back, a small smile on his face. "You're telling me to make a wish?" 

"I'm telling you that this place is yours now." Sunggyu shrugs. "This could be our little hideout, a place of sanity. Our safe haven at the center of hell." 

The coin shines despite the darkness that had surrounded them. He stares at it with his heart feeling all warm excited. Then, he closes his eyes and makes a prayer just before he throws the coin in the empty fountain of hope.  

They've been in their secret spot for almost half an hour now. They didn't really do anything but just sit and stare at anything interesting, or at least, anything the moon shone on. It was night and eerie, but Sunggyu's presence was comforting enough to make Woohyun sit still on the bench. 

"Tell me about yourself," Woohyun mumbles shyly, kicking away the stones and pebbles scattered on the floor. 

"Why would I?" Sunggyu asks with a sideway glance. 

"Because I asked you to."

Sunggyu scoffs as a reply and straightens his back until his back is perfectly leaning on the backrest. He folds his arms across his chest and says, "Fine." Woohyun smiles. "But you better listen because I'm not repeating any of it."  

Much to Woohyun's surprise, Sunggyu and Myungsoo were brothers. With Myungsoo being 16 years old, his older brother was 5 years older. They were born somewhere else but was separately brought inside the compound once they were able to walk and talk without any assistance at all. Their mother rarely visited. Once or twice a year maybe, but Sunggyu still loved her tremendously. That's why when she died, Sunggyu decided that he's had enough. He met Boohyun a couple years ago when he was a trainee, and together, they formulated a plan of escape. 

"He told me about you really often." Sunggyu recalls. "Boohyun didn't tell me your name though. But he loved you a lot." 

Sunggyu hesitates on telling Woohyun about The Elude. Once Woohyun recognizes the reluctance to continue speaking, he asks, "Why'd you stop?" 

"We were…" Sunggyu sighs. He was about to tell Woohyun about their escape group, which was of course against Elude policies. He didn't know what he was getting himself into. Trouble, most probably. But he just felt that Woohyun needed to know. "We were called The Elude. It was a big group full of people who wanted to escape North Korea. Your brother and I were the leaders. We were so ready to escape and run free…but…" 

Woohyun holds in his breath, waiting for Sunggyu to f

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter