friends

Elude
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It was around noontime when most of the trainees had left the training fields to take their lunch. Woohyun, however, remained under the sun to try and perfect his Bonjutsu moves. 

"We'll go get lunch." Sungjong puts down his staff on the grass as he talks. "Want to come?" 

Woohyun shakes his head. "No thanks. You go ahead." 

With a quick nod and and a friendly goodbye, Sungjong runs after Dongwoo who was telling him to hurry up. Once they were already out of sight, Woohyun continues practicing again. He lifts his staff in the air and s diagonally multiple times. 

"Yah." After a while, Sunggyu comes up from his side but was unnoticed at first since Woohyun continued hitting air. In one swift mood, Sunggyu catches the end of the stick with his hand, making it stop. Then he pulls it out from Woohyun's hold, revolving it in the air until he smoothly places the staff on his right shoulder. 

"Sunggyu—" 

"Why aren't you eating again?" 

Taken aback by the question, it takes him a few seconds to answer. Sunggyu rolls his eyes and pushes Woohyun aside. 

"Whatever, I'm not the one who's going to die of starvation." 

"I'm not hungry." Was Woohyun's excuse. 

Sunggyu opens his mouth to retort when the sound of marching boots alarms him. He glances over to his left where he sees an army of men heading over to their way. 

"Damn it." Woohyun hears Sunggyu say. 

Curious, Woohyun follows Sunggyu's line of sight and sees the General up front of the line with a large group of uniformed soldiers following his lead. Woohyun's eyes widen as he quickly m averts his eyes to the man beside him.

"Woohyun." Sunggyu taps his arm. 

"What—"

"Follow my lead."

Sunggyu lifts the staff in the air and hits the back of Woohyun's knee, catching the boy off guard.

"That hurt!" Woohyun whined, rubbing his legs. "What the hell are you doing?" 

Sunggyu lifts up his staff and points it at Woohyun. "Shut the up." He orders, his tone louder than needed.

The army stops walking just before they enter the field. They stay put on the cement, looking like stiff metallic robots. The General calls for his guards just before they walk over to the only people left on the field—Sunggyu and Woohyun. Sunggyu keeps his staff mounted on the ground with his hand tightly wrapped around it. Woohyun straightens out his posture once the General was right in front of them. He gives them a deep bow, showing his respect. Sunggyu, on the other hand, stays upright.  

The General makes a mocking chuckle. "Nam Woohyun, it's nice to see you again."

Woohyun didn't know what to say. Was he supposed to respond the same thing? But that would be lying. Sunggyu slightly tilts his head to the side, giving his father a glare. 

The General puts on a fake smile. This makes the wrinkles around his face get more enhanced, and Woohyun wonders just how old Sunggyu's father is. "Come with me, Nam Woohyun." 

Woohyun's heart stops for a second. He looks at Sunggyu for help, but his senior seemed unaffected. The General starts walking to the other direction, and so does the army. Before Woohyun could ask for help again, the two guards hold him by his arm and start dragging him to wherever they were going. The grip on his arms were too tight that it was painful already. He tries to shake the hands off of him, but every time he did, the grip only seemed to strengthen. Woohyun sighs softly as he tries to turn his head back to where Sunggyu was, but it was useless since they've walked pretty far now. 

After a few minutes, they reach the main entry gates. Woohyun didn't realize that he'd see these gates again so soon. The General walks past him and reminds the army all the designated areas they are assigned to guard over. Somebody opens up the gates, and it makes so much noise that Woohyun felt like he was gonna go deaf anytime soon. 

There were around three military trucks parked right outside of the gates, and with one quick order, the men rush to their trucks and wait for it to load until they start to drive away. It wasn't until they'd fully closed the gates when the General starts walking again. His guards follow suit, and of course, so does Woohyun. The hands never leave his arms but Woohyun knew better than to speak up about it. 

The guards were too tall for him that it was difficult to keep up with their pace. Thankfully though, their next destination wasn't that far from the main gates. It was a place Woohyun's never been to before—a tall building guarded by armed soldiers. Once they got close enough, the soldiers in front of the building give the General a swift but powerful salute. 

The General walks up the steps to the building and the door gets opened for him as he enters without cease. He walks straight to what Woohyun guesses must be his office, and this is where the guards finally, finally let go of their hold on his poor arms. The two guards push him inside the room and close the door behind him, leaving him and the General alone in his office. 

"What would you like? Water? Tea?" 

Woohyun stays quiet. 

"Sit down." The General tells him. It was an order despite the man's smile. 

And so Woohyun does sit down. The man on the other side of the table busies himself with the paper stacked up on his desk, as if Woohyun was suddenly invisible. He takes a deep breath as he watches the General sign a bunch of papers, reading them and moving them aside once he was done. Woohyun thinks of any possible outcomes of this meeting. Would he walk out all bloody and bruised? Or would he end up dead? Either of the two was highly possible for him. 

"So," The General ends his paperwork by closing the tip of his pen with the cover. He puts the pen down and intertwines his fingers together, placing his hands on top of all the paper and the folders. "Are you Sunggyu's friend?" 

"Friends?" The word sounded so foreign coming out from his mouth. Woohyun turns his head away and thinks. "I…I don't think our relationship is to that extent…" 

"Oh, it's alright. Sunggyu's a really rude kid, so he only has a few friends." 

"I see…" 

The General watches Woohyun for a while, staring at him in the eye. "Listen, I called you here because you're the closest person Sunggyu is always with, physically. So I'd like to give you a job." 

"A job?" 

"A spy. You can be my spy, right?" 

No, Woohyun wanted to say. But he knows that it wasn't the answer the General was looking for. Instead of rejecting the order, he reluctantly nods his head, making the oldman smile with delight. 

"If Sunggyu mentions anything about leaving or escaping. Anything about the Elude, you report it to me immediately. Understand?" 

"Yes, sir." 

The General leans back on his chair and presses the small red button on his desk. Then, he looks at Woohyun while muttering, "I tried attaching hidden cameras in his room, but he took them all out." 

The guards enter the office in a flash, startling Woohyun. The General gestures for him to stand up and leave. Woohyun gives the old man a bow and heads for the door with the two guards right behind him. 

"One last thing, Woohyun." 

The call for his name makes him slowly turn his back to where the General was looking at him with the same smile on his face. His friendly facade was getting annoying now, because Woohyun could see right thru him. 

"If you do ever speak up about our conversation to anyone, especially to my son, very bad things will happen." 

"I…" Woohyun sighs. "I understand." 

The guards drag him out of the main office and him outside of the building. The same soldiers who were guarding the door were still there, even if it was already raining. Woohyun looks up at the sky and lifts his palm up, gathering raindrops. 

"Aren't you going to bring me back? I don't know how to do that m…" Woohyun looks at the guards who were now under the safety of the extended roof of the high building. They stare at him with their eyes telling him to leave. "Really? You're not even gonna lend me an umbrella at least?"

Lightning flashes across the sky, and after a few seconds, a loud boisterous crashing sound from the clouds makes Woohyun curse out, "!" The rain gets harder almost immediately, and Woohyun is drenched in no time. He looks at the guards one more time with his hair all over his face and his shirt clinging unto his skin. 

Woohyun deems

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter