Chapter 2

Confuse. Confess.

The next day

As soon as the bell rang, Hyomin went out of the school. One, she was avoiding Sica. Two, she went ahead to wait for Qri from the place where they talked yesterday. If there is something Hyomin have now, its determination. After spending her camera money, she will make sure that Lee Qri accepts the chocolate.

She saw Qri but Qri just walked passed her. “Wait!”

“What?”

“Please accept this.”

“Again? No.”

"Again? Why?” Hyomin was getting frustrated when Qri started to walk again. “If it is effort you are looking for. I am pretty sure that there is effort put into this.”

“Really? So you are telling me that it’s not just one of the chocolates that are stock in her house. And probably she is not even the one who bought it herself. it might have been a gift or her parents might have bought it for her. It’s not always about how expensive or fancy the gift is that counts.”

“I know. Effort. If you asked me yesterday, I might have said yes you are right. But today it is different. I.. I mean.. the person might have looked all over the stores just to buy that chocolate. And even if it is expensive, she might have used her own money and even her savings. If it is effort you are looking for, I say there is a lot of effort put onto this just so you can have it. Please accept it.”

Qri looked at the chocolate Hyomin was holding then back to Hyomin. Noone dared to talk back to her. She smiled and said, “Ok” She reached out her hand asking Hyomin to give it to her.

“Jinja?!” Hyomin asked and Qri just nod. “Yey!” She was jumping out of happiness. Qri chuckled at Hyomin’s extreme reaction. Hyomin became aware of her actions and stopped. “I know you just agreed to take the chocolates but you just made me extremely happy by accepting it.” Hyomin confessed to Qri. After all her efforts, Qri accepted her the chocolates. Qri was lost at Hyomin’s eyes. Her eyes were glistening of happiness. She was really sincere.

She hold a poker face and said, “Well are you going to give to me or not?”

“Yes yes. Here.”

Qri looked at the chocolate. She has an eye for detail. The flavor is different from yesterday. She remembered Hyomin’s words, “If you asked me yesterday, I might have said yes you are right. But today it is different…” Did she perhaps buy it on her own? No it cannot be. “Gomowo” she said before leaving.

“Wait! I’ll walk you home.” Hyomin offered. She is really happy that she does not mind walking the other girl home.

“It’s ok. See you tomorrow.” Qri replied.

“Ok. See you tomorrow” Qri started to walk when... "Qri! Remember to eat the chocolates! It's really good!"

Qri smiled again and nod. If it was in a different circumstance, Qri might have let her walk her home. But today is different. She cannot face the other girl. She is not sure if she can hold her poker face any longer after realizing what Hyomin had done for her. Usually people will give up after she turns them down. But seeing Hyomin more determined earlier, seeing her act like a kid because of happiness, and looking into her eyes. It’s too much for Qri to handle... Qri who always wear a poker face.

--

The next day, Hyomin tried to find Jiyeon.

“Jiyeon ah!”

Jiyeon who saw Hyomin just ignored the other girl and walk. She was talking with her fellow club member. She is still a bit upset of Hyomin. She cannot understand herself why she is so upset. Hyomin was able to catch up because her friend stopped when she noticed Hyomin calling Jiyeon. “I’ll meet you in the gym later.” her friend said and left the two.

“Jiyeon ah! You were right. Effort. I put on some effort and she took it.” She told Jiyeon what happened. “Thank you Jiyeon ah!” Hyomin said sweetly and tried to hug the other girl but Jiyeon didn't let her.

“Unnie.. you are acting weird and it is embarrassing.”

“Hi Jiyeon. Hi Hyomin.” Soyeon who passed by greeted them.

“Hello Soyeon unnie” Hyomin took the opportunity to hug Jiyeon while  Jiyeon just let her be. The three of them were chatting while Hyomin backhug Jiyeon. Soyeon does not seem to mind at all.

“Unnie, until when are you going to backhug me?” Jiyeon ask when Soyeon left. Not that she mind at all.

“Until you are no longer upset with me.”

“I’m not..”

“Yes, you are. Mianhe.”

“It’s ok. I don’t even understand why I got upset.”

“Maybe because I was stubborn and you got tired of it.” Hyomin tried to reason out for Jiyeon. She was also confuse why Jiyeon got upset but that is al she can think of. Jiyeon agreed but deep inside she knew the reason why she got upset. But why does it affect her?

“Unnie, I have to go for club activities. So you have to release me.”

“Arasso. Why are you so busy? We rarely go home together.”

“You are pretty busy yourself. I have to go. Bye unnie!”

“Bye bye! Saranghe!”

--

 That same day, Sica went to ask Hyomin.

“So how was it?”

“She took the chocolate.”

“Really?”

“Hmm..”

“Will I be able to talk to her?”

“She seems to be nice so yeah. She smiled yesterday. A very small smile. But still a smile.”

“Daebak! I am proud of you. You did a great job.”

“So?”

“I will keep my mouth shut.”

Suddenly, it went quiet. Everyone went still trying not to move even a single hair. This is not good. When Sica is in a bad mood, you can definitely feel the temperature drop drastically. When Qri is upset which is very rare, everything will be quiet and all you can hear is the sound of her heels. It may sound exaggerated but it is true. That is why no one dared to cross Qri’s path. It is scary.

“I thought you said she is ok. Why is she on a bad mood today? What did you do?”

“Nothing! I swear she was in a good mood yesterday.”

“Did you even give her MY chocolate?”

“Yyyes…”

“Park Hyomin…” Hyomin can feel the temperature dropping. Cold plus quiet is not a good environment. If this continue most students will have their life shorten.

“Ok ok. She turned me down the first time. She said she does not want it saying it was lacking effort. I was upset so I ate the chocolate. I didn’t even know what she meant. I couldn’t ask you because you might get mad so I asked Jiyeon instead. After giving me an advice, I went to buy for a similar chocolate. I looked from sore to store but I couldn’t find the exact same flavor so I chose a different one but the same brand. Man, that was really expensive. I had to use my savings. When I gave it to her, she accepted it. I was so happy. So I went to find Jiyeon to thank her. That’s it. I promise.” Hyomin carefully explained afraid that Sica will get more angry.

“Ok.” Jessica said and left Hyomin. Hyomin was again confused of what has just happened. Earlier she was scared to death but Sica seems to take it lightly. Sica turn around and said, “Oh, make sure that I can talk to Qri. She better be in a good mood.”

Hyomin just sigh. She knew that Jessica will not just let it pass so easily. How will she be able to make Qri in a good mood? Approaching her in a better mood is difficult enough what more if she is in a bad mood?! She might lose her mind anytime soon.

Jessica watch as her cousin tried to make sense of everything. She knew she was being harsh but she has to do it for her own sake. Just then she saw the girl she wanted to talk to so she skip her way towards the girl. They were alone so they can talk and act freely.

“Jihyun ah”

“Sooyeon”

“So cold.”

“What do you want? You are annoying me.”

“Come on Qri, we both know that that doesn’t work with me. Just as my glare does not work with you.” Qri said nothing. “So how was it?”

“If you are asking about Soyeon, better ask her yourself. I’ve already introduced you two. Didn’t you two hang out yesterday?”

“I am not talking about Soyeon. I mean you and my cousin?”

“You mean asking your cousin to give me the chocolate? Nice plan. Thanks for the chocolate by the way.”

“Don’t tell me you didn’t like it? Besides the chocolate wasn’t from me.” Qri raised her eyebrow. “You turn down the one I gave you so my cousin ate it out of frustration. She bought a new one and gave it you. My poor cousin has to spend her own savings.”

So I was right. It was from her. No wonder she seems more determined to give it to me. But still, why was she hugging Park Jiyeon?

“Actually, Jiyeon is a good friend of hers" Jessica continued as if reading Qri's mind. "She was scared to ask me for advice so after you rejected her. So she went to ask Jiyeon something about ‘effort’. What it means. She was so happy that you took the chocolate so she went to thank Jiyeon this morning.” Jessica peeked at Qri satisfied that the girl was getting in a better mood. “That’s all I want to say. Bye bye. See you Jihyun ah.” Jessica went out to go to her class. She was right. Qri might have seen Hyomin and Jiyeon that’s why the other girl was upset.

Jessica has liked Soyeon for the longest time. She asked Qri’s help to introduce her to Soyeon. Qri is Soyeon friend. Qri did introduced the two but saying that Jessica owe her one. It was a joke but Sica took it seriously after all she is happy now because of Qri. Jessica has a different way of returning the favor. She found out that Qri, Poker face Qri, has a crush on her cousin thanks to Soyeon. So she made a plan to make Hyomin approach Qri.