For Koi; Fish

Birthday Present

 

It's been a week for Koi to undergo an orientation program and today marks the day where the orientation comes to an end. Koi is exhausted. She feels like crying all the time because it is too hard for her. All the nagging from the seniors, the lack of rest and sleep, plus the freshman have to rush things out, chasing times or else, they have to do the penalty. Koi can't wait for all these to end. She's going to have time on her own, finally going to class, doing arts and drawings which is one of her favorite thing to do in life.

 

During the closing ceremony, Koi texts Ema, who is a senior in her third year of degree in medicine. Koi and Ema are so close to each other, they are like sisters. Ema is a very caring and understanding sister to Koi, she is one of the luckiest girl on earth to have Ema on her side. A few minutes after Koi's message has been delivered, she receives a reply.

 

Come here at the cafe I brought you to last night when you're done, Cutie. -Ema

 

Koi smiles to herself after reading the reply and quickly hides her phone into her pocket.

 

**********

 

Koi pushes the door open to see Ema and a few of her friends at a table, far away on the other side of the cafe. She fixes her clothes and her sling bag before she walks into the cafe. Her steps gradually decrease until she stops at one point, standing still while looking at someone. She grabs her sling bag tightly, not believing her own eyes. Her heart beats faster than normal, Koi knows something is definitely wrong. Ema notices Koi's presence, she quickly grabs her hand and pulls her gently towards the table. Koi suddenly feels so embarrassed because someone actually noticed her action, resulting her cheeks to turn into red.

 

Ema introduces Koi to her friends while patting Koi's back and ruffling her hair before signaling her to sit down. This group of Ema's friends seems fun to Koi. There is Wafa, who is Ema's best friend or specifically, her soulmate. There is Kim Myungsoo, who is apparently Ema's boyfriend and the last one, who managed to catch Koi's attention and leave her awestrucked earlier, Kim Sunggyu. He is Myungsoo's older brother and the oldest in the group. He is in his last year of doing degree. He seems like a fine and nice guy, one thing for sure, his eyesmile is something Koi won't get tired of.

 

Koi sits quietly at her place since she is very shy especially to those who she just met. While the other four is talking and discussing stuffs Koi doesn't bother to understand, a waiter comes, bringing along a tray of food and drinks. There are waffles with three types of different toppings with four different flavoured milkshake and a peach ice-blended. Ema distributes the waffles and milkshake to everyone then passes the ice-blended to Koi. Ema knows blueberry and peach are Koi's favorite, she can't stop herself from smiling when she see that genuine smile from Koi. Such a cutie. Koi is so surprised to see Sunggyu with strawberry milkshake and strawberry peanut butter waffle in front of him.

 

"He is a strawberry mania, Koi. Just let him be." Ema's comment stops Koi from judging.

 

"No, I'm sorry. It just unique to see Sunggyu-oppa likes strawberry so much since guys usually prefer chocolate or anything else other than strawberry-flavoured."

 

"I'm unique to you, Koi?" Sunggyu's random question leaving everyone fingers-curling, including Koi herself.

 

"Awww Sunggyu, don't ever do that pick-up line again. You're totally spoiling the mood..." says Myungsoo, making everyone at the table laugh. Koi can't help but blushed, she quickly stuffs a spoonful of blueberry waffle into .

 

"So, what are we gonna do tomorrow? I feel like going somewhere where we can play and spend time with only the five of us..." Myungsoo says with his mouth full. Ema wipes off a cream smudged at the edge of Myungsoo's mouth while smiling to him. Ema loves when Myungsoo is being clumsy and cute like that.

 

"I think Koi could also use a healing time." Ema is supporting Myungsoo's idea.

 

"What are you planning then or what do you like to do when you're healing yourself, Koi?" Sunggyu asks.

 

"Koi, Sunggyu-oppa is talking to you..." Ema pokes Koi's round cheek, filled with blueberry waffle. Koi is so busy eating, she can't hear Sunggyu's question.

 

"She is so cute." Sunggyu says it randomly with a smile on his face.

 

Ema can't help but pinches Koi's fluffy cheek, leaving her dumbfounded. She can feel that all the eyes are looking at her so she pulls up her hoodie to avoid her eyes from making eye contacts, especially with that strawberry guy. How can this guy messed her up so much on the first day they met? Koi has been listening to people saying she is cute but never she knew that the word cute could actually make her flustered like this when it comes from Sunggyu.

 

"I have an idea and I bet you guys are gonna like it." Everyone is looking at Wafa, waiting for her to continue.

 

**********

 

Koi is waiting for the other four to come and pick her up in front of her hostel. She kicks the small stones in front of her, wanting to relieve the boredom she's experiencing. After around five minutes of waiting, arrives the strawberry guy. Koi can feel herself panicking but she controls herself and keep it cool. 

 

"Hi Koi. I come here to help you bring your bag to our car. We park it in front of the convenient store over there."

 

"Where are the rest?"

 

"They're busy buying foods. Come, let me help you with that." Sunggyu lifts the heavy bag besides Koi and she just let him. 

 

"You sure bring a lot of stuff when we're only gonna spend around 2 days."

 

"I need all those stuff."

 

"Or do you perhaps wanna spend more time with me alone?"

 

"What?!?" Koi stops at her place, mouth-gaped.

 

"I'm joking. You're so cute when I tease you like that." Koi walks slower than Sunggyu so that he can be in front, not be able to see Koi's blushed cheeks. Koi doesn't remember how many times Sunggyu makes her blushed.

 

And so, they are heading to a japanese village, around 2 hours straight from their university. The japanese village is located near a waterfall where the environment is very calm and refreshing. The journey is quiet to Koi's liking. Myungsoo is driving while Sunggyu, besides him, is sleeping, and Ema is talking to Wafa about a few university stuff. Koi is listening to her music while enjoying the outside view. Koi thought the ride would be chaoticly fun at first since this group of friends is so loud and fun, but everything is so nice when the silence between them is comfortable.

 

They arrive at the japanese village a little bit late then they expected, 2 in the afternoon. The sun is so high up straight above their heads but they don't feel hot or burning. The environment itself is very calming and soothing. Sunggyu stretches himself, after he gets out of the car and inhales the fresh air. He looks like a grandpa doing that, causing Koi to laugh.

 

"What are you laughing at, Koi?"

 

"Nothing..." Koi smiles to him and leaves him quickly. Sunggyu is in dazed because he can't believe his eyes. He never saw such cute genuine smile in his life, he smiles to himself after that. How can her smile make me so weak?

 

They take their bags to the counter at the main office and retrieve the keys to their chalet. They walk towards the chalet, going through a very green scenery with the sound of waterfall ahead. The five of them stops to appreciate and admire the view in front of them when they arrive at their chalet. The view is definitely breathtaking and the waterfall adds the effect to it. The girls and the boys separate to their respective chalet and organize their stuff for the next hour.

 

Around 3 o'clock, Sunggyu and Myungsoo are setting up the barbeque set near the waterfall, Ema and Wafa are setting up the telescope to cloud-watch while Koi is setting up her easel. Everyone is so busy with themselves but Koi can see each and every one of them are very happy. Koi takes out her pencil and starts to sketch out the scenery.

 

**********

 

Sunggyu calls out everyone to have their late lunch since it is 4 in the evening. Everyone starts to gather at the picnic table, can't wait to fill their angry stomach. Myungsoo brings the last batch of steak to the table and takes a sit besides Ema with Wafa on the other side, automatically leaving an empty space besides Koi. Sunggyu have no other choice than to sit next to her. They eat quietly too because everyone is very hungry. Koi tries to cut the steak into smaller pieces but she is struggling with it since her knife is slightly blunt.

 

"Let me..." Sunggyu slowly pulls Koi's plate towards him and cuts the steak. Koi can't look at Sunggyu since he is so close next to her so she focused on the steak instead. Everyone at the table is kinda surprised by Sunggyu's sudden gentleness because they know Sunggyu is very hard to get comfortable with girls he knows less than two or three months. The other three smile to themselves because they finally understand why and let the lovebirds have their own time.

 

After lunch, they equally clean up the picnic table and the barbeque set before heading towards the bonfire. Sunggyu and Myungsoo bring the folding chair and set them around it. Again, Sunggyu sits besides Koi but Koi doesn't realize it was on purpose. The other three keep on smiling, seeing this cute interaction and Sunggyu signaling them to keep quiet.

 

"So, what should we do now?" Wafa breaks the silence.

 

"I don't know, I'm too lazy to share a story or something since I'm still full." Ema replied. Myungsoo gets up and goes to the chalet to bring back a guitar. He sits back and starts to strum the guitar and adjust the strings.

 

"Hyung, sing a song for us."

 

"W-What kind of song do you guys want?" Sunggyu asks, unprepared because of the sudden request from his brother. 

 

"Anything. Your favorite maybe, Sunggyu?" Wafa says, can't wait to hear his beautiful voice.

 

"Hmmm, okay Myungsoo, you remember the first song we've tried together, right? Let's try that one."

 

"Sure, hyung." Myungsoo smiles to his older brother and strums the guitar. A very beautiful melody starts to conquer the calm atmosphere and Sunggyu starts singing. Myungsoo is humming to the song as well.

 

I need you boo, I gotta see you boo.

And there are hearts all over the world tonight.

Said the hearts all over the world tonight.

I need you boo, I gotta see you boo.

And there are hearts all over the world tonight.

Said the hearts all over the world tonight.

 

Hey! Little mama. Ooh, you're a stunner.

Hot, little figure. Yes, you're a winner.

And I'm so glad to be yours. You're a class all your own, and...

Ooh, little cutie.

When you talk to me, I swear the whole world stops.

You're my sweetheart.

And I'm so glad that you are mine. You are one of a kind.

 

And you mean to me, what I mean to you.

And together baby, there is nothing we won't do.

'Cause if I got you, I don't need money. I don't need cars.

Girl, you're my all...

 

And, Oh! I'm into you,

And girl no one else would do 'cause with every kiss and every hug,

You make me fall in love.

And now I know I can't be the only one,

I bet there are hearts all over the world tonight,

With the love of their life who feels...

What I feel when I'm...

With you, with you, with you, with you, with you, girl~

With you, with you, with you, with you, with you, oh girl~

 

The girls clap for them because it is so beautiful, Sunggyu's voice is so beautiful, alongside Myungsoo's guitar skills. They sure make a great team. Koi is impressed by how beautiful his voice is, she can't stop looking at the strawberry guy. She can't describe how beautiful it is, she must have melted. Sunggyu can feel a pair of eyes looking at him from one side so he turns to look at her as well. They both look into each other's eyes before Koi stands up and heads towards the waterfall in a fast speed. Sunggyu is startled by her action, he goes after her. The other three can't help but squealing at the scene. 

 

Koi walks straight into the water until the water level reaches her knees. Koi wears an indigo-coloured shirt, tuck into her grey shorts. She stands there, looking at the waterfall. Then, she can hear a splash sound. Someone is after her. She looks down to her feet because she can't bear to look into his eyes again. Sunggyu stands behind her, a comfortable distance in between them, not too close yet not too far apart.

 

"Uhhh Koi, are you okay?"

 

No answer. 

 

"I'm sorry for making you uncomfortable..."

 

Still no answer.

 

"Can you tell me what I've done wrong?"

 

"You did nothing..."

 

"Then, why are you like this, feeling uncomfortable when I'm around?"

 

"That is my fault, not yours..."

 

Sunggyu doesn't know how to handle the situation. Koi seems pretty upset from behind but little that he knows, she is actually trying to control herself. Koi clenches her heart to make it calm a little but it doesn't affect much when Sunggyu is around. She bites her lips, preventing herself from confessing. 

 

"Koi...?" Sunggyu steps closer, shorten the distance.

 

"It's my fault for falling into you when you genuinely wanna be close to me. I-I like you, okay?" Koi confesses to him without even looking at him or turning around.

 

Sunggyu stops.

 

"Sunggyu...?" Koi turns around to see his reaction but she is disappointed.

 

"Koi, come here. You have got to see these!" Sunggyu shouted excitedly while looking downwards.

 

Koi is so surprised because she confessed to him but he can just act like nothing happen. She pouts. No one knows how much effort Koi puts in to confess to him. Sunggyu looks up to her to see her pouts. Sunggyu extends his arms and pulls her towards him without moving an inch. Koi becomes unstable so Sunggyu holds her arms, both sides to help her. They are close to each other now. Koi looks up to see him looking at her back before looking downwards. 

 

She smiles when she can see a few koi fishes not far from where they are standing. Koi suddenly forgets that Sunggyu is besides her, she starts to walk towards the koi fishes in a slow motion. She bends down a little to get a closer look. 

 

"They are so cute!"

 

"Yes, they are, Koi. Do you like koi fish too?"

 

"I love them."

 

"I like you." 

 

"W-What?" Koi stands up straight to find Sunggyu is already next to her, with his eyes on the fishes.

 

"You said you like me so I replied that I like you too..."

 

Sunggyu looks into her eyes and both of them are drown into one another. Koi blushed again and Sunggyu smiles to her. She admits that she can't never get tired of that eyesmile.