For Carey; More than

Birthday Present

 

. It is a japanese term describing some sort of a boy's love. It's been a popular genre among the people who really appreciate and love anime. It's normal for fans to pair up their favorite idol or favorite character. Some of the fans take it very serious while some of them like it in a fictional way. Here's a story about a girl who enjoys so much and her name is Carey.

 

As usual, Carey takes a walk around her neighbourhood every morning. She usually brings a manga to read it at a park but somehow that day, the sky is so dark and Carey knows it's going to rain. As Carey heads back to her apartment, something catches her attention. A new mini library. Carey opens the door slowly and a guy greets her. The guy smiles at her genuinely and Carey swears that smile is the brightest smile she's ever seen. 

 

Hi, welcome. How can I help you?

 

Uhhh hi, I was just looking around here...

 

Okay. Take a look around and don't mind asking me questions. I'm new here and I'm the only one working at the moment so I might not know everything but you can still ask me.

 

Don't worry uhhh... Carey looks at his nametag Jang Dongwoo...

 

Uhhh sorry. I'm Jang Dongwoo. And you are?

 

You can call me Carey.

 

Carey, what sort of genre that you are looking for?

 

Is there any here?

 

Oh ! Yes, we have it here. There's a whole shelf filled with mangas.

 

Really?!? It's very rare to find around this neighbourhood.

 

So, you enjoy , Carey? Well, I supposed I can recommend you some since I enjoy it too.

 

Seriously? That is so werid for guys to enjoy . You are the first, so far as I know.

 

Well, there's always first in everything, right? Here, try this one Chloe and since today is your first day here, which I hope you will come more often, you can read it free on my behalf.

 

Oh, thank you Dongwoo! That's so nice of you.

 

Haha, no problem Carey. Just on one condition, make sure you come here often.

 

Sure Dongwoo. See you tomorrow.

 

Bye.

 

**********

 

Since that day, Carey and Dongwoo share their interest in but it is still weird for Carey, listening to Dongwoo talking about . Somehow Carey wonders if Dongwoo is a gay or straight but she never have the courage to ask him such personal question. 

 

As for Dongwoo, he is very happy to have a friend to share his interest and he would be lying if he says that he didn't see the confuse look on Carey's face. He is straight, it just that he enjoys but it does not go to the extent that he wants to experience it himself. He realized that he starts taking interest in since his past relationship didn't have a nice ending. Maybe one day, Dongwoo will tell Carey everything, maybe.

 

Their relationship is growing closer day by day, months by months. Sometimes, Carey will come by in the morning before going to work or on her way back to her apartment. Dongwoo clings to Carey very much but Carey does not find it disturbing or anything. He asks her to buy breakfast or dinner for him and Carey finds it very cute and she is willing to eat together with him.

 

Carey opens the door with a lunchbox she made for Dongwoo earlier on the other hand but she can't find Dongwoo anywhere. She puts the lunchbox at the counter and she sits at their favorite corner, waiting for Dongwoo. Few minutes later, she hears footsteps coming from upstairs.

 

Carey! You're here!

 

Hi Dongwoo. I made you a lunchbox so you won't starve so much by the time I come for dinner. I even packed some fruits for you.

 

Carey, thank you so much! You're the best!

 

So, what are you up to?

 

Oh that... Mr Howon told me about making a member card for this place and all the benefits from it.

 

That's great! This place is doing better now. You guys sure can get a few people.

 

What about you, Carey? Will you fill in the form? Please... Pretty please~ at least, for me...

 

What should I do with you, Dongwoo? I can't say no to you nowadays.

 

And that's great, don't you think? Here, fill this form for me.

 

Sure sure.

 

As Carey fills in the membership form, Dongwoo stares at her all the time. Carey somehow feels shy and insecure under Dongwoo's gaze. She does not even realized since when her heart starts to beat this fast so she tries to act normal. She does not want to lie to herself. She felt this way before, but somehow she finds it very weird and strange. After done filling in the form, Carey passes it to Dongwoo and once their eyes meet, Carey could not last long before looking away. She can feel her palms getting wet.

Carey, I didn't know you can get this shy with me. You're not like this before.

 

N-no, I'm not feeling well today. Uhuk uhuk.

 

Really? I'm sorry, Carey. You don't have to come for dinner. You should rest.

 

Uhhh no no! It's okay I can-

 

No, Carey... Just this once, I beg you to not come and have some rest, okay?

 

Really? Are you going to be okay tonight?

 

I'm used to it, Carey. Aren't I'm alone when you're working?

 

Ahhh okay Dongwoo. I'm going to work now.

 

Sure. Don't forget to get some rest.

 

**********

 

At work, Carey spends her time mostly by staring blankly. Carey surely can't get off the thought of having something closer than friendship with Dongwoo. It's not that she does not want to, the main problem is Dongwoo's status at the moment. The way how Dongwoo enjoys surely does not seems like he's straight but Dongwoo never once talk about hot guys or attractive ones since the day first they've known each other.

 

What if he's gay? What am I going to do? But what if he's straight? If I take the initiative, will it ruin our friendship? I treasure this friendship more than my own feelings. I don't even have in mind to live my life without him, especially not with how he reacted earlier. Is he trying to prove something or what?

 

On the way back home, Carey stares at the mini library. She can see Dongwoo treats his customer happily but somehow his smile is not as bright as before. The urge to meet him is no joke but she's confused right now. Confuse with herself, with Dongwoo, with their relationship, so Carey decides to stay away from Dongwoo for the time being to clear all the confusion.

 

**********

 

Days passes. This is going to be the fifth day Carey haven't heard or seen anything about Dongwoo and the other side does not show any response that she wanted. Carey misses Dongwoo so much. She wants to call him but he's working at the moment and it might be disturbing. One thing for sure, she does not have the courage to meet Dongwoo, she wants to keep a distance between them.

 

Carey reaches for the key to her apartment in her pocket when she heard someone calling her name. She turns around to see Dongwoo, running towards her. He stops in front of her, panting and when he calms down, he hugs Carey tightly, even Carey can't react to this. She does not want to break the hug, she loves it, but she's confused right now. She keeps her hands on her side. She needs to see Dongwoo's expression.

 

Carey, where have you been? I'm worried about you. Are you sick? said Dongwoo, with one hand sliding onto Carey's waist and the other onto Carey's back.

 

Huh? W-what? Carey is still confused if she needs to hug Dongwoo back or not and with how close they are now, Carey can't think of anything.

 

Why don't you text me, telling me that you're sick? I can take a few days off and take care of you.

 

U-uhhh, but then, what about the library?

 

It's okay, we have new staffs working there now. Carey, why?

 

Why what, Dongwoo? Carey seems to be comfortable now that she slides her hands back up to hug Dongwoo.

 

Why don't you come by for few days back? Did I do something wrong to you and if I did, I'm sorry.

 

It's not like that, Dongwoo. I was confused, to be honest.

 

About what?

 

About you. About us. We surely find each other comfortable and we talk about everything but I'm confused because you enjoy . I-I want to know if you're-

 

Carey, I like you more than I like . and with that, Carey buries her head in Dongwoo's neck because her cheeks are red by now and they stay that way for a few minutes before Dongwoo breaks the hug. They both look at each other and when Dongwoo starts to smile brightly like he used to, Carey can't help but smile too.