For Chloe; Maple

Birthday Present

 

February. It is weird for the weather to be this hot and sunny in the middle of February. Chloe wakes up this morning with the fighting spirit she had since last week. Chloe have been preparing for this exam for weeks and this morning she is very positive and confident that she can pass it with flying colours. Chloe puts on her best and comfortable clothes and a light make up to show her positive aura. But how long can she keep up with that positive vibe? Well, let's find out.

 

It's been a routine for Chloe to have waffles or bread with a tea or hot choco as her breakfast at her favorite bakery which is on the way to her university but for no reason, the bakery is closed today so Chloe have to continue her journey with an empty stomach. 

 

As Chloe continues to walk, she makes a turn at a corner when a guy accidentally bump to her. He said sorry to her and she can see that the guy was in a hurry so she just brush it off and put up a smile to the guy. Few minutes later, Chloe arrives at her university and since she does not have her breakfast yet, she goes straight off to the cafeteria. Chloe tries to find a light meal or cereal that suits her taste but nothing catches her eyes.

 

And so Chloe goes to the examination hall. Her friends come by to greet her and sit next to her but everybody is too engrossed in reading or else, they are just talking randomly, but Chloe just sits there, listening to them. Soon, there is an announcement which indicate that the exam is about to start and Chloe takes out her stationeries and says All the best to her friends as their part ways to their seats.

 

The examination is hard, more than Chloe could take it. She thought she can make it but at this state, she just don't know what to do anymore. She feels like going to the cafeteria to grab something to eat and well, let out her frustration when suddenly she gets a call from Ms Alex, the librarian. She explains that she wants Chloe to help her arrange some books at the library since the girl who is supposed to be on duty today is taking her day off and Chloe said yes.

 

What could be worse than not having breakfast, losing confident and arranging books with an empty stomach? Chloe is not in the mood for this but since the librarian asks her nicely, she can't just say no without any valid reasons. Chloe arranges the books nicely, tries to find the specific area for the different types of books.

 

**********

 

The peace in library is somehow broken by the noises coming from upstairs. Chloe puts the books for a moment and goes up to see who is the cause for this. She can see a group of guy laughing, or to be exact, bullying a nerd.

 

Can you guys do this somewhere else? You guys are disturbing the others.

 

Well, what do we have here? A girl I see, hmmm... Are you perhaps his girlfriend?

 

N-no, that's not the point. I just want you guys to do this somewhere out of the library.

 

But there's no fun if we do it outside because there's no nerd other than in the library.

 

If you guys don't want to stop then I have to call Ms Alex to come up here and deal with you guys.

 

Hey girl, you're no fun at all... Perhaps you should date this nerd. You two suits each other, more than Romeo and Juliet. said the boy as he and his group heading downstairs.

 

Well, at least they stop for now. 

 

Chloe continues to arrange the books and bring the other books back to the counter for Ms Alex. Somehow, Chloe bumps into a guy at the front desk, making all the books drop out off her hands and both of them fall back.

 

I'm so sorry. I didn't see you there. Are you okay?

 

Chloe can feel her tears falling down, embarrassment hits her as the crowd's attention now is focusing on the both of them. 

 

Hey, you don't have to cry, it's my fault. Are you okay? Can you get up?

 

How can this guy said it's his fault when it's clearly mine? Is he trying to make me feel better or is he being sarcastic?

 

Chloe just stay there without having any intention of making any movement, she just want this day to end. Everything is so hard from the beginning. She just can't handle this anymore. She wants to cry so badly.

 

Chloe, oh my god! Are you okay? You can finish this off for now. I'm sorry Chloe for asking your help, you can just say no if you want to... Ms Alex hugs Chloe tightly and the guy is picking up the books and puts them on the counter.

 

Sunggyu, are you okay?

 

Ahhh yes. I'm okay, Ms Alex. No injuries.

 

Can you take Chloe with you for a second? I have to handle here, it's getting out of control. I'm sorry.

 

Sure Ms, just do your work. Don't worry about us. Sunggyu turns to see Chloe.

Chloe, can you get up on your own?

 

No response.

 

Sunggyu politely grabs Chloe's hand and waits for her response but she continues to cry so Sunggyu helps Chloe to get up carefully. They are now heading to a nearby Starbucks, hand in hand, because Sunggyu can't just leave Chloe crying alone. When they arrive at the Starbucks, Sunggyu asks Chloe to sit down while he goes to the counter but Chloe won't let go of Sunggyu's hand, she wants Sunggyu to accompany her for awhile.

 

Chloe, I'll be right back, okay? Don't worry. It won't take long... and with that, Chloe slowly let go of his hand and Sunggyu heads towards the counter.

 

Chloe doesn't even know what's wrong with her. She just feel like crying and she cries even more when Sunggyu treats her politely and cares for her. How can I find such a soothing vibe by looking at him? I can even feel the comfort from his hand and talking about his hands, his hands are so beautiful. Am I crazy or something? I don't even know him and why do I have to cry in front of him? This is embarassing.

 

Sunggyu arrives at the table with two Maple Macchiatos while Chloe is lost in her thoughts.

 

Chloe? Are you okay? Did you get hurt?

 

Uhhh... hmph no. I'm sorry. It was just a bad day for me. Chloe wipes off her tears.

 

Ahhh that's why. It's okay, you can talk to me about it if you feel relieved by doing that.

 

You're Sunggyu...?

 

Oh sorry! Yes, I'm Sunggyu. Kim Sunggyu. I'm a Korean student in engineering course. Here, have one. I hope you can drink this flavor. I order my favorite flavor because I don't know what you want so-

 

Oh no! It's okay, thank you so much Sunggyu. This is my favorite flavor too. Chloe said with a smile on her face.

 

Now, that's the smile I've been looking for! It's Sunggyu's turn to smile and Chloe would be lying if she doesn't feel butterflies in her stomach because that's the most beautiful and genuine smile she's ever seen. Chloe can feel her cheeks burning red so she quickly avoids looking at him.

 

It's raining! And I forgot to bring my umbrella... Well, do you mind spending time with me here, Chloe? You can talk about your bad day if you want to... said Sunggyu as he plays with the straw.

 

I don't mind at all, Sunggyu. Thanks for the Maple Macchiatos. Chloe shyly looking at him.

 

Really? Then, let's spend more time having Maple Macchiatos together after this, can we? and Sunggyu smiles when he sees that red cheeks of Chloe's again.