Red

Colors of Your Lips
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

(RYEOWOOK’S POV)

 

The rain was getting heavy as I wait for the stoplight to signal me to go and cross the road. I watched the cars pass me by and eyed the people on the other side of the street. It was dull. It’s almost sick o’clock. The classes ended and it’s now the school break. Everyone else was excited. But unlike me, I was feeling… the usual. Uninterested. There was nothing thrilling to do. It was like I will be just doing the exact same thing every passing day. Wake up, eat, goof around, eat again, and sleep. I don’t like it. It was like I was doing good deeds but it doesn’t feel good enough to make me happy. It felt like I’m only wasting my time and days.

The stoplight turned red and now I took a step on the pedestrian lane as I tightened the grip on my umbrella, carefully not to wet the ends of my pants. I walked slower than everyone else. But then I saw this old man, hurrying his way to cross the lane. He was soaked on the heavy rain. I felt a bit of empathy and ran towards him and shared my umbrella with him.

“Excuse me, sir. Do you mind if I take you to your destination? It’s bad to get soaked under this rain.” I said while looking at the man.

He smiled at me with gratitude and walked slower, linking my phase. “Thank you, young lad. It’s very rare for teens like you to do this.”

“I’m already 23.” I laughed as I handed him a dry towel from my bag to wipe his wet body for a bit. “But thank you.”

“Really? You look as if you are only 18….” He chuckled. “Is it okay for you to take me to the 13th street? It’s a bit far so it’s fine if we part ways if it’s too far for you, boy.”

“No, it’s alright, sir. I don’t have anything to do after this so I don’t mind.” I smiled at him. “Is that where your house is?”

“No…” He gave off a faint smile. “But my son lives there. Alone. He might be lonely in this gloomy weather so I will accompany him for a while.”

“I see…” I couldn’t think of anything else to say so I remained quiet and assisted him on walking and stepping on high stairs as we go on. When we are already on the 10th street, the rain was getting weaker than it was so it was getting easy for our short journey to continue.

“What’s your name, lad?” He asked me.

“It’s Ryeowook, sir.” I smiled at him and continued eyeing our path. “What is yours?”

“I’m Younghwan.” He answered. “My son is 22. A year younger than you.”

I didn’t reply anything because I can’t think of any. So I only nodded my head.

“Unlike you, he stopped going to university and stayed at home all these days. That’s why I have to accompany him for a short while atleast.”

“Ah…” Is only what I can say. “Why is that?”

With that question, Younghwan ahjussi remained silent for a minute.

“Say, Ryeowook-ssi. Do you have something to do this school break?” He suddenly brought up.

I frowned a little while thinking about what activities I will do this vacation.

“I say none. But I think I will search for a part time this break.” I answered. It’s not like I’m going to have a part time because I need money. It’s because I want something to do this vacation. I want something to kill time with. My family owns a company that is one of the companies raising the economy of South Korea.  And I’m part of the country’s stock market so I really don’t have any financial problems.  I don’t live with my parents so I can’t have the danger of being a rich family’s son. I want to live at peace.

“Why did you ask?”

“Don’t search anymore, son! I offer you something.”

 

 

I don’t know how I ended up at Mr. Younghwan’s son’s place when I was just supposed to take him to the 13th street. I examined the place and it was gigantic! The house was too big for only one person. Or I’m just living in a simple place that’s why I’m not used to it. But in general, the place looks beautiful.

“Come, Ryeowook.” Younghwan lead me inside the house. I glanced at the furniture and the design of the place. Admiring it. I was too distracted until my name was called once again.

“I know this is too sudden, Ryeowook-ssi. But the job I was telling you about is accompanying my son for four months.”

“What?” I was surprised with his words.

“You seemed to be a very nice guy. And I think my son will like you.”

“What?” I asked once again, even more dumbfounded.

“I will pay you the price you want! Just stay with him. Only for four months. Four months is all he needs.”

Mr. Younghwan looked so desperate, at the same time, lonely. But why ask me to do this? And why for four months? The vacation is only for two months!

“Why—“ I couldn’t talk further more as if he can read my mind.

“I will answer your questions later, Ryeowook. Let’s go see Kyuhyun first.”

Kyuhyun? His son I suppose?

Mr. Younghwan made me enter a room on the third floor of the house. The wall were in the shade of pearl white. It gives a peaceful vibe. I want to roam my eyes for more but instead of examining the huge luxurious room, a stranger fished my eyes. And the first thing I noticed was the color of his lips that was reddish and plump. He was sitting on his bed with the blanket at the same color of the walls were covering his legs. His back was leaning on the bed stand and a small smile was painted across his lips.

“Dad! You came!” He said with a jolly yet sounding deep voice.

“Yes, Kyu… And look! I brought you a friend.” Kyuhyun’s father pointed at me while I just stood there not knowing what to do. “His name is Ryeowook”

Kyuhyun smiled faintly.

“Dad, how many times do I have to tell you… stop bringing people to be with me.” He stated with an apologetic look.

“But Kyuhyun—“

“It’s okay, Ryeowook-ssi. You can go home now. I’m sorry if my father troubled you to come here.”

I didn’t know what to do so I kept on standing while looking at Younghwan, not sure if I should leave.

A moment of silence came while Mr. Younghwan kept his gaze on the cold white tiles of Kyuhyun’s room.

“Alright.” He sighed and sounded defeated. “Let’s go, Ryeowook.”

“Umm… Okay…” I followed him outside his son’s room. Suddenly the atmosphere felt so cold and dead. I can’t help the curiosity filling in me.

“Ahjussi… Kyuhyun-ssi said you really bring others to be with him? Is that true?” What is he trying to do?

“Yes… that’s right.”

“Why?” I asked for more.

“Kyuhyun… he…” Mr. Younghwan sighed again. “He is sick. He was involved in an accident before and got his lungs damaged. It’s hard for him to move around. He gets exhausted quickly too with just simple walking. He is so…weak.”

I patted Younghwan’s back for comfort and continued listening to him.

“I didn’t expect for him to get better. But I was hoping…” He started to tear up. I led him to the sofa on the spacious living room. “He only have four months to live.”

My eyes widened. My heart rose from what I’ve heard and had small goose bumps. It was shocking to know that that man has counted days ahead of him.

“D-Does he know about it?”

“Of course. He can live longer. Those four months are only the assumption if he won’t take medications.”

“Then make him take them! Is he nuts?!” Mr. Younghwan smirked.

“Boy, that was the same reaction when he told me he wanted to just stay here instead being confined to the hospital and take therapies.” He covered his face with his hands to hide his crying face. "I can't convince him to."

"But... why are you so desperate to make me stay with him?" That's what I want to know so much now. It's been so long since I feel like I can do something big. It's been so long when I feel so eager to do actually wake up in the morning and look forward over something.

"When I tell stories to Kyuhyun about how his mom and I met and fell in love, his eyes just sparkle and I feel

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter