01

Make Me A Better Person
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Autumn, 2012.

 

06:54, Bugang-ri.

"Chorong-ah!" The first thing Chorong hear for her first day of school is her mom's voice, waking her up.

Chorong yawns and rubs her neck, feeling a bit sleepy. "Yes, mom. I'm awake now!" She replies her mom, afraid that her mom will call her again.

First day being a senior. I don't think it would make any different with another years that have passed.

"Park Chorong! Come down now or you'll be late!"

Chorong struggles a bit when her mom shouted for the second time. She quickly goes to bathroom and preparing herself. Takes a bath, brushes her teeth, combs her long straight black hair also her bangs in 15 minutes. Indeed, Chorong doesn't really care about her appereance.

She takes her white backpack and hangs it on her shoulders. 

Carried away with the situation, she almost forgot her name tag. "Thankfully, I remember you." She mumbles while clipping the name tag to the left side pocket of her coat.

"Good morning dad— uh. Mom, where's dad?" She looks at her dad's empty chair. It hasn't even moved yet. "He went to his office at 6. It sounded really urgent, his co-worker called him." Her mom shrugs slightly.

Chorong sits to her usual place and takes a bread and eats it directly. "So, what are you going to do today?" She looks at her mom who's still watching news. She waits to her mom's reply, but she gets nothing. Her mom seriously pays attention on television. "Mom!" 

"Omo— Chorong, you shouldn't shout like that. You're a girl. Tsk." 

"I'm asking you but you didn't listen to me, mom. What are you going to do today? Are you going to Seoul again?" 
Her mom just nods. "Hm."

What is interesting about news, I swear to God.

Chorong quickly chews her bread and gets up, walking straight to her mom. "I'll be get going!" She pecks her mom's left cheek from behind. Her mom pats her head. "Be save okay?" 

Chorong runs a little to take her shoes, her favorite white shoes from her dad. "I'll be get going, dad. Wish me luck." She rubs her shoes slightly, smiling as she imagines her dad's face.

 

07:38, Choongbook High School.

I'm late! I'm late!

Chorong runs as fast as she can, sliding herself in between gaps before her school gate closed. "Phew." She takes a deep breath and walks fast to her new classroom.

The teacher isn't here yet. Ah, good to know.

Same as other year, she sits at the desk near window. She just loves that place so much. It's a place where she can finds peace in classroom. 

Chorong rests her head on the table, but suddenly someone pokes her hand. "Hi, the teacher is here." A soft voice yet slow that only Chorong can hear. She immedietly sits straight and following her teacher who is walking to the teacher's table. 

"Good morning, Mr. Lee."

"Yes, good morning. I hope you guys had a nice holiday. Now, Ahn Sonyeo." "Here." 

Oh great, absent time.

"Son Naeun." The girl infront of me raises her right hand. "Here." 

Son Naeun. She's pretty.

"Park Chorong." "Here." And the class started.

 

09:30, Class 3-1.

"Chorong." Someone pokes chorong's hand as she's still looking outside the window, thinking about something. Chorong quickly turns her head and stutters a bit. "Y-yeah? Oh, Naeun right?" 

Yes, Naeun. She just moved here and she doesn't have a friend here. Chorong decides to take Naeun to their school garden and sit on a bench near their class' window. They talked a bit about Naeun's past. Her parents have something to do so they moved from Cheongdam-dong. "How about you? You're new here too?"

"No, I'm here since I was born." Naeun nods her head, but her face still seems confuse. "I don't have friend here. If you want to know." Chorong smiles. "Y-yes? Oh, yes. That's why I thought you are new here." Naeun rubs her nape and laughs awkwardly. "I'm too shy to talk with people. I talk when they talk with me first, just like you did. Sometimes, I hate my shy side, I just want to change. But I can't. I keep trying to avoid people."

"But you're not that shy you know?" Naeun bumps Chorong's shoulder lightly. 

Chorong, in the other way, looks at Naeun with her confuse face.

Naeun smiles. "You just afraid that people won't accept you. That's why you're shy to talk with them." 

Afraid. I think I am.

After they have a not-too-long conversation, they head back to class and start to study again. Because it's still their first day, they go home earlier than usual.

11:

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter