Prologue

Three Hearts and a Single Beat

They say beauty disappears with age and that once we grow older, your vibrant youth fades away from your face. But that wasn’t the case for Jungkook. As he grew older, all that disappeared from his was his baby fat and nothing else. If at all, his eyes shone even brighter, his lips became even fuller from the affection he was getting from his one love and his actions became kinder with each growing day. So it wasn’t a surprise to see that he was in the kitchen, preparing his daughter’s morning sandwich even though he was a tad bit late for work.

“Daddy,” the girl on the end of the table called, currently picking up a piece of sliced apple from the yellow bowl on the table.

Jungkook turned towards her daughter. Even though she was adopted and not biologically his, he loved her to death. And he would admit the fact that those almond shaped eyes did resemble his husband’s a little. The father noticed his daughter’s slightly dirty mouth and deciding to wipe it off a little later, he answered with a fond smile.

“What is it, sweetheart?”

“What’s a soul mate?” the tiny voice asked innocently.

Jungkook smiled. He wasn’t amused or anything like that but he had this incredible habit of smiling whenever he was with his daughter or with his husband.

“Why the sudden interest, darling?” he asked, urging an answer from his child. He inched slowly to her with a tissue in his hand. The little girl with the black curls on her head looked at her approaching dad and replied innocently.

“Minhae was telling me about how her daddies were soul mates yesterday.” She squirmed a little when her father wiped her face but managed to keep as still as she could.

 

Jungkook had a fond memory of Minhae. She was his daughter’s best friend in school. And Minhae’s dad was equally his best friend – well, one of his best friend’s at least.

 

He decided to answer her daughter’s inquiry, thinking up of the best answer as the toaster dinged to mark the completion of the piece of bread being grilled. “Hmm,” he began, picking up the hot piece of food from the contraption after softly placing down the used tissue on the cold marble table.

“A soul mate is a,” he made sure of his thoughts and continued, “Well, it’s like a best friend but more,” and suddenly a rush of memories surged through him. “It’s the one person in the world who knows you better than anyone else. That someone who makes you a better person.”

The chubby cheeked girl’s attention was fully focused on her father now. Her eyes shone a familiar luster and her lips parted in utter curiosity.

Jungkook quickly rephrased his words as soon as he realized what he was saying. “Actually they don’t make you a better person. You do that by yourself,” he corrected, “because they inspire you.”

Suddenly pulled back to his memories, he could hear a series of light hearted laughs and husky high pitched giggles in his head. And this made him beam with utter joy. This was followed by a sonorous, awkward but full fledged laugh which could make the ebony head’s heart fill up with nothing but fuzzy warmth and fond bliss.

“A soul mate is someone you carry with you forever. It’s the one person who knew you, and accepted you and believed in you before anyone else did or when no one else would.” His smile grew a little wider and he turned to look at his only daughter. “And no matter what happens, you’ll always love them and nothing could ever change that.”

 

 

A/N:

Credit to Dawsons Creek for the definition to what a soulmate is.

Here's a little teaser for the upcoming chapters. Hope you'll be patient with me.

Indefinitely,

TypicalFangirl09